Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2801

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 "Off-Road" GPS Software
 Free/Cheap app route planning w/ custom map?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ibuilder

3 Posts

Posted - 08 nov. 2010 :  12:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

What are the alternatives for off-road route planning on PC (Win\Linux)?

I have spent quite a few hours now surfing around and I still don't really have the picture of what apps are the most used?

My requirements for the app would be:
-can import/export gpx files
-can edit routes for pre-planning before going out
-can display maps for Finland
-bonus: can use a scanned map instead of a fixed service.

The most promising one so far has been Viking [ed - http://sourceforge.net/projects/viking/], it's free and runs on both Linux and Windows (Doesn't have to run on both). It was also able to display a track I recorded yesterday with ViewRanger (mobile software) and probably it also allows editing the route.

Viking seems to work with the OpenStreetView maps here in Finland - but I'm not sure if there's a way to specify a custom map file. This feature would be very cool.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks!

Ads

gpspassion

94650 Posts

Posted - 08 nov. 2010 :  19:45:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not free, but OziExplorer probably remains the most flexible tool out there both to create maps and to import custom maps, especially since many "map capturing" tools can export maps to its .map format, like snaptomap, GoogleMV, etc...If you can live with online maps, http://www.routeyou.com/ or http://bikeroutetoaster.com have powerful features. I was a fan of www.clickroute.de but unfortunately they haven't recovered from a hardware failure earlier this year.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ibuilder

3 Posts

Posted - 08 nov. 2010 :  20:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for the reply!

That OziExplorer seems worth a better look, once I get some map images to try it with. In the meanwhile I've been messing with Viking. It does have some way to use custom maps, but I haven't got it to work yet, documentation is pretty nonexistent. But as far as route planning goes, it's almost perfect!

The free online maps are mostly sufficient for my purposes, but I ordered a small set of topographical maps today just to see if I can make it work with some application. Probably not very easy, as they use the Finnish coordinate system, but they are good maps "manual" use anyway.

The routeyou.com seems to be down (temporarily?) but the other one works great!

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94650 Posts

Posted - 08 nov. 2010 :  20:25:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure! routeyou.com works of for me - will take a look at Viking as I must admit I hadn't heard of it. Being able to stream maps automatically to a PC app can be useful and I'm not aware of too many apps that offer that, I think GPS Trackmaker can, but it's not free. There was also one that could let you import US Topo maps but its name escapes me for now. [EDIT - nevermind, I just found that Viking lets you do that!]

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ibuilder

3 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2010 :  16:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's pretty nifty!

I just took a test walk. I made the route with Viking and uploaded it to my Nokia X6 with ViewRanger (using gpx). When I got back, I downloaded the track from my phone back to Viking and it looks very accurate.

The only minor annoyance is that Viking and ViewRanger have different meanings for track and route. When I upload the route plan to the phone, it gives a message dialog that there is no route, only waypoints, but it will use the waypoints as a route anyway. I guess I just need to be carefully when designing the route, as only the waypoints matter.

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1860 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2010 :  19:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used OziExplorer and OziExplorer CE a lot. But it's for working with raster based maps, which are (basically) just pictures, such as scanned paper maps. The routing that you can do with these is limited to straight lines between points that you choose. For the kind of routing you want, you need vector-based mapping that contains routing information so that you will follow the roads or trails.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05