Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 1695 connected GPS - Reviews - v3.00
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

JGinhisSS

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  04:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thirty day trial run on premium weather info is ending so I tried to renew at myGarmin. My credit card number was already on file. When I chose 1695 from My Devices and hit the Check for Updates button, site said "Device not compatible with nuLink! services." I don't know why I would get that message with the GPS connected to the computer. I was offered free map update that's available until December 14.
I disconnected and found the nuLink! Store in the menus. Found the weather button, typed in myGarmin password and renewal went right through. Recurring charge will be $1.99/month. Safety cameras would be $2.99/month but I don't need that service here. I can say that it did work at one intersection in Pensacola FL that we went through several times in one day.

nuvi 680 - nuvi 500 - nuvi 1690 - nuLink! 1695 - nuvi 3597
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  04:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any advantage of the Garmin Safety Camera file that is not met in one of the many Safety Camera POI files readily available and updated regularly?

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  13:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other than it's easier/faster to report new ones using Garmin's feature, and on the 1690/1695 you can receive warnings of mobile speed traps via reports from other users over the SIM connection. Probably not enough connected nuvis here in the US to make a difference yet, but in France they've partnered with Coyote to enlarge the reporting base. I don't know if Garmin's provider has other reporting user sources. While there may be more complete and/or accurate POI files from other providers, I don't know that for a fact. And most other quality red light POI files aren't free either.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 13 nov. 2010 13:15:32
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  13:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of POI sites that I frequent that offer regularly updated POI files. One cost $7 to join and the other you have the option to pay or wait after participating a specified time before they become available to you. I'm sure there are more, but I haven't bothered to look. However, the connected aspect via Garmin sounds like it may have much future potential. And the reporting feature is a plus.

That being said, we don't have any speed cameras in my area presently and all the redlight cameras have been removed due to a dispute over where the money derived from them was supposed to go. (hah!)

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  14:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not having used the speed-camera feature yet on my Garmin (though I did use it on the Lowrance Xog) I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of actually using it for speed cameras, but I can comment on the difference between a connected GPS and non-connected one with this feature.

Theoretically the connected GPS can have much more timely and accurate speed camera data than a non-connected one with its static, occasionally updated, data. I'm not sure that in the US the red-light and speed camera data is updated as religiously as it may be in Europe though.

That being said, here in the US the laws are still favoring the average citizen who's got the legal right to confront his accuser. There are more and more cases where states or cities who have instituted these speed cameras or red-light cameras have had to stop using them and pay huge early termination fees to the contractors who installed them. Far too many drivers seem willing to fight these camera tickets in the courts and have been pretty successful in beating them. This has forced the municipalities to revisit the use of these cameras as voters push to have them removed by getting the question put on the ballots at election time.

I understand that in other parts of the world this is not the case, but we rebel Americans just love to fight perceived injustices. Even in a well-run speed or red-light camera using area, often the only thing that comes from it is money for the contractor and municipality with no real measurable reduction in speed or red-light violations. In fact, the municipalities have been caught adjusting the length of the yellow lights to artificially create more red-light violations and boost their revenue stream. This has often been the legal justification for fighting these robot cameras.

I see their inclusion in modern GPS units as a nice, but not essential, feature. It can be used more effectively as a warning method to keep children safe in school zones which have 15 or 20 MPH speed limits in normally much higher speed zones. It's too easy to miss the school zone when you're in a hurry and I don't believe it's an economic reason we have to worry about for speed in these areas. Hitting a child 'cause you're late for work is not justifiable by any means. A warning from the GPS as you approach a school zone is an excellent feature in my opinion.

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

gkassian

59 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2010 :  02:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
based on the info I got from CS Rep (he was an adequate guy and he double-checked) one needs to manually download safety camera updates from the website. This seems to be in contrast with FAQ on the website, so I assume that connected aspect of safety cameras have not been rolled out in the US (yet?).
I have "scout information" displayed on my screen and haven't seen a single scout in a month. We don't have a critical mass of users to make it useful (another yet?)

Had 2 days of driving with 1695 in Florida (Orlando -Miami + local streets). Surprisingly, traffic trends worked quite well and computation time was acceptable. This gives some hope.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2010 :  03:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to say my impression is quite the opposite. I have a 3790t and have been road testing a 1695 for the past 5 days. trafficTrends consistently suggests routes that just don't make sense to me (Philadelphia and suburbs). It wants me to leave the main roads and take smaller roads that are highly unlikely to provide any time savings. I am very familiar with this area and just ignore these routes, but the Nuvi prompts me to turn off the main road at virtually every intersection. All the while it is displaying arrival times are are wildly optimistic IMO.

The connected aspect of the 1695 is cool, but the traffic data is very questionable. I did side by side tests with the 3790t and FM traffic. The 1695 was showing more traffic data and seem to be a bit more current, but I just didn't believe what it was telling me. Through 150 miles of testing I completely ignored the traffic related detours (which were often pretty extreme) and had no problems.

Having a connected device isn't very compelling if the quality of the data is questionable. This might very well vary a lot depending on where you are. But I was not sorry to have to return the 1695, and following my testing I've disabled trafficTrends and have no intention of turning it on again. Not interested in purchasing map updates, so I'll be sitting this out and give Garmin a year or two to see if they can realize the potential of a system like this.

As they say, "your mileage may vary"....
Go to Top of Page

gkassian

59 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  03:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have very similar experience in NYC and surrounding areas. My experience so far is that traffic trends are close to being totally inadequate in NYC, offer nothing new in NH, VT and western PA, but, surprisingly, worked quite well in FL.
What I discovered, though, is that POI icons are no longer available in "browse map" mode. This frustrates the hell out of me. It used to be an awesome way to find "the heart" of an unfamiliar city. Just browse the map and find the street with most restaurant and bar icons, go there and pic a place to your liking. And now this is not possible. This still can be proxied by browsing the list of POIs, but visual representation is by far more efficient. Not sure if I am the only one who was using it this way, but I really miss it.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  04:50:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time to join in the fun since I've been testing the 1695 for the past 10 days, mostly side by side with the 3790, let's start off with a picture of the box for those who haven't seen it ;-)

Now that this is out of the ways here are some comments :
  • interface is very close to the one on the 3790, except of course the resolution/screen size mix makes the map rendering look a bit different. The terrain of the 3790 is sorely missed to spruce up the map and give a better sense of the environment.

• Same "annoying" microUSB on device/miniUSB on car mount combo as on the 3790

• there is no "sleep" mode like on the 3790 where you can resume where you left off instantly, here you have to go through the whole boot process each time, very annoying when you're used to the way it works on the 3790. I suppose it comes down to the hardware.

• Google search is "buried" in the POI search, would have been nice to have it on the first page. The Garmin/Google tabs for the POI search are a nice idea though

• Not much to add to what's already been written about route calculations with trafficTrends activated, not only are the routes "uninspired" here in the SF Bay Area, but the calculation time seems endless and in town there is a lot of "hunting" for recalcs. If I didn't have a 3790 with TT turned off I would have turned it off a long time ago on the 1695

• Was pleasantly surprised to get some Red Light Camera warnings in Berkeley the other day, looks like the updating is manual, which doesn't make sense for a connected device

• Connection to the EcorouteHD module has not been stable, with the odd "map freeze" here an there and having to reactivate the connection manually, hopefully the v2.30 I just updated to will fix that

• Haven't hit any traffic problems so far but the traffic map does indeed seem to be very populated

• That's all for now, overall a solid device but not terribly "exciting", unlike the 3790 when it came out !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  14:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

interface is very close to the one on the 3790, except of course the resolution/screen size mix makes the map rendering look a bit different.

It depends on a variety of things, but actually I was rather surprised how similar the maps look between devices some of the time.

Line weights are heavier on the 1695 because it doesn't have as many pixels. This leads to a cluttered map at some zoom levels in urban areas.

The big difference is that the 3790 does *real* 3d rendering which makes it totally unique among every other product I've seen. You can't really appreciate this with City Navigator, but these shots show it. Notice how everything recedes into the distance on the 3790 and even the text is rendered in perspective. The 1695 - and every other Nuvi - only does "pseudo 3d". Heh, you probably need to be a mapmaker to get especially excited about this.

Also notice how there roads are not labelled on the 1695 in this example. With City Navigator, road labels are pretty consistent with the 3790 (In other words - more than you would see on other recent models). But the example above is a bit different. The 3790 has a much faster CPU (or maybe dedicated 3d graphics engine?). I think the 1695 just can render the road names and also draw the map fast enough while driving. The map in those examples really pushes Garmin's limit for detail.

I found 3790 CPU speed noticeably faster on just about everything in side by side tests with the 1695 - map drawing, route calculation, searches.

But I think your summary is good - solid device that doesn't get me very excited. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for though....

Edited by - Boyd on 18 nov. 2010 14:48:04
Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  18:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep looking for something to replace my 755 with MSN Direct. I keep hoping that the 169x series will do it, but MSN Direct was on the exciting side with weather radar, etc. My car now has XM traffic, and to be honest, it is not great. I-75 in Cincinnati often is missing traffic info on the section that matters. Nice great big screen, but if the traffic is missing or wrong, it is hard to justify the subscription price. Cheaper to buy a Nuvi with lifetime FM and lifetime maps. Will keep looking. And reading this thread to see if this model becomes more inspiring in the next few months.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  19:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daveo, I've been using MSNDirect on my 760 for over two years, and up till now been very happy with it. But my 1695 does show a lot more traffic incidents, and appears to have a lot more highways covered than offered on my MSN. I'll be keeping an eye on it the next couple of weeks, but I've been encouraged so far that the 1695 will be my MSNDirect replacement. Of course it probably helps that I'm in Florida rather than the black hole of Philly where Boyd has problems with any of the connected devices. ;)

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 18 nov. 2010 19:45:27
Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  23:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to think XM Traffic would be better till I read a blog somewhere that stated since its a sat service the whole country has to be downloaded as opposed to a region.

That's just what I had read though.

quote:
Originally posted by daveo

I keep looking for something to replace my 755 with MSN Direct. I keep hoping that the 169x series will do it, but MSN Direct was on the exciting side with weather radar, etc. My car now has XM traffic, and to be honest, it is not great. I-75 in Cincinnati often is missing traffic info on the section that matters. Nice great big screen, but if the traffic is missing or wrong, it is hard to justify the subscription price. Cheaper to buy a Nuvi with lifetime FM and lifetime maps. Will keep looking. And reading this thread to see if this model becomes more inspiring in the next few months.

Go to Top of Page

gkassian

59 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2010 :  07:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After more than a month of driving with this unit I've seen the first scout today! I stopped hoping this will ever happen. Hope it will pick up and we'll actually have real-time traffic info on secondary streets.

On less optimistic side, my friend tried to browse the map today to show me the intersection where wee need to go. He got pissed off after 30 seconds by the erratic and unpredictable behaviour of the touch screen. I've said it before, but selling something like this is a shame and ultimate disrespect for the customers.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2010 :  13:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Life-Of-It's-Own map browsing irritates me too. One of the few real complaints I have with the 1695. FWIW, the entire 1xxx series does the same. I'm still holding out hope I discover a trick for taming it. Fortunately I don't need to browse the map very often.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05