Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2401

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on Google Android - gps4android.com
 [TOPIC] ALK CoPilot Live Premium for Android
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2010 :  04:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updated 20110621 - ALK have announced a new version, CoPilot Live Premium, for Android : new interface, alternative routes, new route planning mode, see details on page 3.
Orignal message - I am interested in the Motorola i1 because I have a work issued Nextel. If I were to buy my own device I may be interested in a GPS application that works independent on the wireless network. I have found that ALK CoPilot GPS v8 USA for Android appears to be the only one currently for the Android OS that has US maps and works independent of the towers. I would be interested is anybody here has used this on an Android device yet.

http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/android/

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/MOTOROLA-i1-US-EN

http://now.sprint.com/motoi1/

Ads

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2010 :  20:17:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much feedback on GPS on Android device yet, I suggest you check out : [TOPIC] GPS on Google Android Devices

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 04 juin 2010 :  00:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply. I will go post this there.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2010 :  07:23:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well we now have a dedicated section here (www.gps4android.com) for Android devices and even a free ALK CoPilot giveaway http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=137908 - I've just installed it (with the 14 day Active Traffic free trial) and will test on the road over the week-end.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2010 :  03:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a current (and possibly soon to be former) TomTom user, who has been frustrated with TomTom bugs and service outages lately. Having just purchased Copilot Live USA for my Droid last week, I am looking forward to some Copilot discussions.

Copilot Live USA v8 for Android / TomTom Go 740 LIVE
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  02:20:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, let us know how you like it, but for $5 it's going to be hard to be disappointed ;-)

Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  03:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contrary to a general theme in the Android Market comments, support seems to be easy to reach and responsive. I placed 3 calls today, all were answered within minutes, and the reps were generally helpful and knowledgeable.

One point of confusion seems to be that there is a Copilot ID, and a Live Link ID, which can be different. There appears to also be a third ID for data support (MapSure submissions). I typically use a variation of my real email address for new accounts so if spam starts to arrive I know who sold me email address. When I tried to update an email support incident this morning, it was refused because the email I sent the update from (my real email address) did not match the email I used to submit the incident (my Copilot ID).

All of this confusion led to my first call this morning, which got disconnected mid-call. A follow-up call had me remove the software and reinstall using my real email address (this is what I wanted this time). Unforutnately, that email address is somehow permanently associated with Copilot 6 for Windows Mobile, which I tried briefly over 3 years ago. I never even got to the point of setting up a password for that email address back then. This has now caused a conflict with the Live Link service; everything except Live Link seems to work. But without a password associated with the account, they insist that there is nothing they can do about it, and the only way to get Live Link to work is to use a different email address.

I'm now faced with a dilemma - either accept the fact that Live Link will not work (I have no use for it really, but I don't like the thought of proceeding knowing it will never work), or change email addresses.

This is remarkably similar to problems I've had with TomTom - they seem to have problems with their database that cannot be corected. I've had three device replacements due to problems with their database that prevented services tied to my device serial number from working.

Based on my experience so far, I expect to get this sorted out tomorrow fairly quickly.

So far I like the app, but the maps don't seem to be as current as TeleAtlas or Navteq, or even Google for that matter.

Go to Top of Page

Rgold

124 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  04:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too returned the TomTom XXL 550 and got the CoPilot on my Droid X phone. It's OK for the price but there are too many map and direction errors. There is a promise to provide map corrections quick so I keep my fingers crossed... traffic seems updates seems to be quick and very accurate. Also on the positive note Copilot recalculate route in a split second (thanks to Droid X fast 1GHz CPU) that is real advantage in a dense grid. TomTom keept recalculating on and on forcing me to stop the car and wait for it to finish.

NUVI650, DROID X CoPilot Live
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  04:48:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the maps used by CoPilot in the USA have always been a "sore" point, amazingly they use their own proprietary maps built over the years with a little of their own surveying and lots of user submitted data, as a result there are some unusual errors, like streets connected to freeways when there are bridges or missing segments. I wonder if they'll break down one day and use Navteq maps like they've doing in Europe since 2003...on the other hand it gives them a lot of flexibility for the pricing.

I'm with you on the IDs, I've had several for the Windows Mobile version and Live tracking and I've been confused several times on whether or how I can reuse them even when I have the password.

I had to return my Motorola Milestone as it had no 3G in the US and the WiFi AdHoc trick for HTC Android devices didn't work so no connection to my tethered iPhone, but I have a no-name (Witstech A81 actually) 7" tablet with built-in GPS (u-Blox module) on order, should be a good platform for GPS apps and CoPilot in particular.

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  21:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

.....I had to return my Motorola Milestone as it had no 3G in the US and the WiFi AdHoc trick for HTC Android devices didn't work so no connection to my tethered iPhone, but I have a no-name (Witstech A81 actually) 7" tablet with built-in GPS (u-Blox module) on order, should be a good platform for GPS apps and CoPilot in particular.....

I have been looking at getting a Motorola Milestone for use in the US, also. I have read that some people have bought a Canadian version that works with T-Mobile in the US. I seem to recall that although AT&T and T-Mobile have never carried it, some smaller regional carriers have carried it.
Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2010 :  00:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No joy on straightening out my email address issue. The rep admitted that they don't have the necessary access to the database to correct this problem. I opted to use a never-used-before email address (in my own domain, so I can guaranty it's never been used), but I continue to get the "account conflict" error. They have escalated the call and the rep said he would respond via email with the update.

I suspect now that the confused set of email addresses I used originally are causing the problem, but I don't know for sure.

@gpspassion: I agree that their US maps are a sore point. Neighboring streets that have existed for 7+ years are not on the maps, yet newer nearby realignments and interchanges are shown correctly. Still other names can be found when searching for an address, but the map then points to an area containing no street (it's passed the end of the street shown). I have submitted several reports via MapSure, and I'll be keeping my eyes open for when they appear.

One thing concerns me from their web site:

"ALK will issue maintenance updates to CoPilot Live v8 North America GPS navigation customers on a monthly basis, while complete new maps of the U.S and Canada will be issued once per quarter. ALK will continue to provide MapSure updates for free through December 2010."

@Rgold: On TomTom devices with IQ Routes, traffic should only be indicated when conditions are "worse than usual". So far I have compared traffic side-by-side with TomTom on two trips. In several instances TomTom indicated there was moderate to heavy traffic when in fact traffic was flowing freely. On the contrary, when Copilot showed traffic, there actually was traffic. I don't expect either system to be perfect, but phantom traffic is a regular occurrence with TomTom, in my experience.

Recalculations with Copilot on my Droid are much faster than on my TomTom. On TomTom recalculations often take just long enough that I'm passing the turn as the instruction is announced.

One thing TomTom has going for it is audio volume. One of my vehicles is a commercial van, and road noise can drown out the audio from my Droid, using Copilot, Google Maps Nav, or even the speakerphone.

Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  02:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So much for their "45 day map update commitment." Updates I submitted in early October are nowhere to be found in the most recent map update (1-2 days ago). Since these updates are monthly, even if my updates are included in the next update, that will push past the 45 day mark.

After about 5-6 weeks of comparing ALK's ActiveTraffic to TomToms LIVE Traffic, I have to say that I find ActiveTraffic to more closely resemble actual conditions, and to be far more reliable (in terms of service availability) when compared to TomTom.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  04:16:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. 45 days to process a map update sounds too good to be true, let's see when they do appear...if at all!

My new GPS enabled Android Tablet will be in tomorrow so I will be able to resume testing on the Android platform.

Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2010 :  14:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that ALK changed their web site to indicate that:

"ALK will continue to provide MapSure updates for free through the life of your product version."

Whereas it used to say:

"ALK will continue to provide MapSure updates for free through December 2010."

I could swear it used to say the former, then changed, and has now changed back. I always interpreted this to mean that upon a new software release, free map updates for the prior version would cease. My guess is that there is a release pending and the date has been pushed back, or they just don't want questions like "what happens after December?" running through the heads of potential customers. It will be December in 8 days, and it would sound pretty stupid to claim free monthly updates through "this month".

Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2010 :  17:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ALK is having a US Thanksgiving Sale on their apps:
http://blog.us.copilotlive.net/?p=1865
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2010 :  21:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed something about Copilot for Android that really stinks.

A very nice feature is that you don't have to download the entire country at once; instead, you can pick & choose particular states & regions in order to save space. Great, I think.

There's a huge catch, however. Copilot considers each state to be a separate data region. So it is IMPOSSIBLE to do any multi-state routing if you download individual states. This makes the individual state data files virtually useless unless you never leave your home state.

Mio Moov 500 / Google Nav Android / Copilot 8 Android
Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2010 :  03:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed this too, during my first day with it. In an effort to get up and running quickly, I downloaded only New Jersey. Then I wanted to test the routing using RV mode in NY. That's when I found that you can't route from one map set to another. I think you can download regions however, so if can get your own state the the states that surround you, that might be good enough.

Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2010 :  06:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good thing I 'bit the space bullet' and just downloaded all of North America to my Droid X's 16GB SD card - it was only 1.67GB for the whole thing and it looks like I avoided future potential routing issues!
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2010 :  17:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the answer I just got from Copilot technical support:
CoPilot can only route within the currently active data region. Unfortunately this means if you have downloaded individual states it is not possible to route between them. I would recommend either download a full region or the full US map.

Wow, that's really lame. With such a limitation, why do they even bother offering individual cities and states?

Go to Top of Page

gemro311

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2010 :  13:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone using CoPilot set a destination and instead of following the suggested route , you go a different way. Well I did and boy did CoPilot ever mess up . Did Not know at all where I was , even when I reached my destinataion .

Nuvi 3597LMTHD and HTC One M8
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2010 :  14:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That reminds me of the days (MANY years ago) when you had to run Navtech (at the time) City Navigator and MetroGuide USA in order to get full US coverage on a Garmin GPS. Even then Garmin figured out how route between the products. What was really fun is when things like highways didn't line up between the two products!

Navigon sells a similar "modular" region product on smartphones. They have figured out how to route you between modules. CoPilot is cheap and it has a nice UI, but that is about all I can say good about it. It is second rate in so many ways.

quote:
Originally posted by larryc

Here's the answer I just got from Copilot technical support:
CoPilot can only route within the currently active data region. Unfortunately this means if you have downloaded individual states it is not possible to route between them. I would recommend either download a full region or the full US map.

Wow, that's really lame. With such a limitation, why do they even bother offering individual cities and states?

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725, Rand McNally 7735, Garmin viago
Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2010 :  23:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While the 'ala carte' method of region selection might be fine those who just route locally, it's not very practical for those who want flexibility.

Since the complete NA mapset only occupies 1.67GB and I've got a 16GB memory card in my Droid X, it was a no-brainer for me.
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2010 :  17:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only use CoPilot as a last resort on my Droid for navigating out of a 3G dead zone (~98% of the time I'm using Google Maps Nav). So, for the $5 I paid for the entire USA on my SD card it's absolutely worth it.

However, ALK ought to be worried, now that Google Maps 5 is coming out, which will offer OFFLINE caching of map data. That is going to be HUGE. In fact, all the GPS Nav companies have got to be worried - Garmin and TomTom included.

Motorola Droid: Google Maps Navigation, CoPilot Live USA
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2010 :  23:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gman, agreed, ALK better be super-worried. There's a difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap". "Cheap" is unlikely to succeed in this market. And ALK is showing itself to be "cheap".

Some background:
I remember when I purchased my first GPS software (iGuidance). It was $90, which was a pretty good deal at the time (given that Garmin-class units were $400 at the time). And Iguidance was actually pretty darn good (frankly, I'd say the version I had from 5-6 years ago was better than today's ALK Copilot, even though it may have been lacking some modern bells and whistles)

In the intervening years, as we all know, the market has completely changed. The bottom dropped out of both the hardware and software GPS markets. Garmin and Tomtom units are now sub $100. Heck, even last year, I purchased Copilot for $20 for my Windows Mobile phone.

Now that Google has released a FREE Navigation app for Android phones that is "good enough" (frankly, it's much better than just "good enough"), I don't know how software vendors such as ALK or Navigon are going to compete. If I am going to pay for a second GPS app on my Android, it had better offer something that my FREE Google app doesn't have.

What does Copilot offer that Google doesnt? Right now, it's just that it works offline. On the other hand, there's plenty of areas where Copilot is inferior to Google Navigation.

Now, I only paid $2.99 for Copilot 8 for my Android (it was on sale), so it's hard to complain. But on the other hand, on a pure value basis, even at $2.99 it's hard to say that I really got a lot for my money that I didn't already have from Google Navigation.

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2010 :  01:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
larryc, I disagree that "offline" is all that CoPilot offers that Google doesn't is offline navigation. There are several features that Google doesn't offer, including the ability to store routes, create routes with multiple stops, detour the route by removing specific route segments, etc. That being said, if they had decent maps, they could beat Google with a more robust feature set. Instead, they stick by their renowned maps that are universally panned as bad and ruin any advantage that they do have. We all know that ALK can't survive on a $5 app. They aren't going to get a million users. They need us to upgrade to their higher priced offerings and when their maps are so bad, there is no way I'd even consider it again.

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725, Rand McNally 7735, Garmin viago

Edited by - jeffcarp94 on 12 déc. 2010 01:28:03
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2010 :  18:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> There are several features that Google doesn't offer, including the ability to store routes, create routes with multiple stops, detour the route by removing specific route segments, etc.
I stand corrected.

> if they had decent maps, they could beat Google with a more robust feature set.
Yes, I agree. But to my earlier point was, if ALK is going to implement half-a**ed solutions like individual state downloads that can't route cross state, even with the best maps they STILL wouldn't be able to compete.

> We all know that ALK can't survive on a $5 app.
Exactly. It's like they are in a race to the bottom. There is so little profit in $5 apps that there is little incentive for them to improve the product. Yet if they don't improve the product, no one is going to purchase future releases.

Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2010 :  19:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ability to download smaller segments of the mapset is probably interpreted byl ALK as a 'feature' and not a limitation - they should probably make the fact that the individual maps are not routable with other segments very clearly known. The ability to go to CoPilot Central and download maps for Australia before traveling there is a pretty cool feature. (in addition, these maps cost $55 vs. $150 for the same area from Garmin)

ALK has some nice features that even Garmin doesn't support, like the ability to upload GPS track history to your site on their server, the ability to track your position on their location-tracking website that you can share with your buddies to show where you are and even give them the ability to send messages to your phone, etc.

GMN is a nice 'beta-level' app, but until it supports the generation of custom routes, etc. it won't be able to compete with serious GPS applications (IMHO). It'll be nice to see what features the new maps give us.
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2010 :  20:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we all have to remember that those of us that post here, that have multiple GPS devices over multiple years are not the "typical" consumer. Google Maps IMO will thrive because it is free to the masses that buy an Android phone, and it is "good enough" for most people (the vast majority of customers). With that mass distribution and appeal, over time should bring more features in order for Google to hang on to that customer base in order for them to monetize customer's use of that program through some sort of LBS plan that we have yet to fully understand.

I travel a lot - 25,000 per year typically. Right now, I am not even considering a purchase like Garmin's new unit. I have left my TomTom 740 Live home the last 3 months and I've missed it once - when I needed to take a route segment out of a route due to a traffic issue. I'd consider myself a power user, and for me, Google Maps is "good enough."

Edited by - jeffcarp94 on 12 déc. 2010 20:27:44
Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2010 :  23:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Copilot offers several features that GMN doesn't, including: optimized multi-stop routes, traffic avoidance, detours by avoiding specific roadways, economical routing, RV mode. With the latest GMN, there is some offline capability.

Traffic avoidance is the motivating factor in my case. GMN shows traffic, but doesn't take it into account when determining the best route. RV mode is particularly useful when driving a commercial vehicle in NYC.

For me, Copilot is generally good enough, and in cases where it can't find an address due to their maps, I can fall back to GMN or NDrive. Because of this I recently sold an older Gamin unit, and am selling my TomTom Go 740 Live. If I make it a year on the three Android-based options I have, I'll have saved $120 on TomTom's Live Service fees.

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2010 :  23:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UncleMike, your comments about how Google Navigation handle routes and traffic is not my understanding of the product. On various web demo movies of Google Navigation, it is my understanding that the ETA indeed does shift with the known traffic data and when you select the multiple route option, it shows you the options with the traffic impact on the route. I could be wrong, but that is how I understand it works.

Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2010 :  04:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to get too far off topic, but my experience with GMN is that it does in fact adjust the ETA for traffic conditions, but does not take this into consideration when calculating the fastest route. When there is traffic on the originally suggested route, the suggested alternatives are usually much faster, but are somehow not the first suggestion.

Copilot actually works the same way initially, presumably because it doesn't yet have the traffic information. Once this information is available, it will adjust the ETA if necessary, and if this adjustment is large enough (based on your settings - default is +10 minutes) it will alert you and ask if you want to use an alternate.

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2010 :  05:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I concur with UncleMike and have experienced definitive proof that GMN does adjust the ETA for traffic. I travel a route often using GMN and the route is always 2 hrs 10 min. Over Christmas, we experienced a significant snow storm causing the interstate to experience slow traffic and for the first time, this route was showing up as 2 hrs and 45 min with a "yellow" traffic light in the bottom left. A normally longer route was showing up as the quickest option.

Go to Top of Page

hpka

8 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2011 :  18:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My real plus for CoPilot is that, being offline, it does not care when I cross from Canada into the US and loose my data connection.

That said, I far prefer GMN when I am here.
Go to Top of Page

b1lk1

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 10 avr. 2011 :  17:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google and all other on line only GPS apps are dead in the water in Canada. I'm not willing to pay the crazy fees to use my phone wirelessly outside my WIFI unless it is a dire emergency. It costs me $3-5 just for one hour of Google GPS use whereas CoPilot cost me $20 (Canadian pricing). I find the maps to be quite up to date for me so far, it even has streets that my IGO8 2009 version does not have.

Until Google makes it free and fully downloadable, they may as well stick to markets that don't ripoff their consumers such as Canada.
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 15 avr. 2011 :  22:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so frustrated by Copilot for Android.
Every single time they release a patch, I find the upgrade does not work. I need to uninstall, remove the data directory, reinstall, re-validate (by entering my google order number, email, and password) and then re-download maps. Very, Very annoying.

Go to Top of Page

b1lk1

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2011 :  03:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree there it is definitely a PITA at times but I use my PC to reinstall maps as it is so much faster.
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 14 juin 2011 :  02:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting... I just noticed that although I purchased Copilot USA, within the app I have the option to download maps for Canada & Mexico. The download completed, and I tried out the Canada map, but it's unusable; although the POIs are there, the roads are all messed up (e.g, some roads show up at some zoom levels and disappear at others). So while the map is downloadable, it's unusable.

(Also interesting that the app offers the option to download mexico maps even though ALK has discontinued offering that country http://www.alk.com/copilot/v8-maps.asp)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2011 :  02:45:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting indeed, did you ping them about that?

ALK have just announced a new version of CoPilot for Android and it looks pretty exciting : new interface, tap & bend route customization, link to wikipedia. Looks like they're calling it "CoPilot Live Premium" : http://www.flickr.com/photos/copilotlive/sets/72157626958758724/

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2011 :  17:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoPilot Premium USA (v9) is live in the Android market for $9.99. I have it downloaded and installed. I'm working on a map region download now. I will post my impressions in a longer post here later. I am posting my initial step by step impressions under in my Twitter account username jeffcarp.

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2011 :  17:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the difference between Copilot Live Standard (currently $2.99 https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alk.copilot.namarket.usa) and Copilot Live Premium (currently $9.99 https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa)
I read the description but it wasn't clear.
[Edit: A lot of answers here: http://blog.copilotlive.com/na/2011/06/28/our-new-copilot-live-apps-for-android-are-here/ ]

Also noticed this in the Market Description:

Exclusive ALK MapSure™ service that provides free monthly in-app map improvement downloads and full quarterly map updates for 1 year

That's a big change -- it used to be unlimited map updates with Copilot 8.

I also have a question into ALK asking if Copilot 8 will still be supported (both map updates as well as software updates)

Edited by - larryc on 27 juin 2011 20:05:00
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2011 :  20:55:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doesn't look like it based on what they posted at the end of your link :
quote:
What will happen to my existing CoPilot Live v8 app?
You can continue to use your existing CoPilot Live v8 app on your device. If you decide to also purchase one our new apps, both apps will reside on your device. Please note your existing v8 app will not update to the new apps.
Those interested in getting the new v9 app should hurry as the price will go up 3x in a week :
quote:
CoPilot Live Premium USA is available to purchase for only $9.99 for the next 7 days. After 7 days it will be available for $29.99.
Finally I've copied the list of all the new features :
quote:
Alternate Routes: CoPilot Live will help you find the best way to any destination with a choice of up to three routes, displaying journey time and mileage for each. If you have our ActiveTraffic™ service enabled, it will also calculate the journey time based on real-time traffic speeds for each route.

Drag Routing: Fine-tuning your route is easy with CoPilot Live. Simply drag the route or a destination flag to a preferred street you wish to take or location to navigate to.

An Easy to Use, Intuitive User Interface: With our redesigned user interface all the navigation and driving features you need are right at your fingertips, when you need them.

Speed Limit Alerts: CoPilot Live will display the speed limit on major roads and, should you accidentally exceed it, warn you with on-screen and audible alerts.

Tap, Discover and Go: Tap anywhere on the map to navigate there or discover useful location-specific information about that place.

Wikipedia: CoPilot Live lets you access community content easily with access to Wikipedia and Bing Local Search directly within the app.

Bing™ Local Search: Search the Internet for nearby businesses and places to navigate to.

New Walking Mode: CoPilot Live’s new walking mode displays your location on the map with an easy to follow pulsing red dot. A dedicated walking user interface and menus include an on-screen compass and the ability to display Points of Interest and Wikipedia locations on the map. Turn-by-turn walking directions and an easy to follow dashed straight line to your destination are calculated automatically.

Social Media Integration: Share your status and journey details with your friends using Twitter and Facebook Places.

Superior Guidance: CoPilot Live sleek, new dashboard-style map display provides clear, non-distracting directions.

Speed limits are here at last bit the big omission is traffic information of course, a big problem IMHO for a smartphone application...

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2011 :  21:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traffic is an in-app purchase option. It isn't an omission. It is the full Inrix feed for $9.99 per year. I received traffic flow data on secondary roads (a US Highway / major street) in a secondary market (500,000 people) earlier today.

Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2011 :  21:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have copilot live USA already installed on my ANDROID EVO4G. if I purchase the new COPILOT LIVE PREMIUM will all my data transfer to the new app? I have a LOT of custom POI's I installed and some saved routes when I go. Also will my PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTION that I paid for transfer to the new app??

Thanks... Dave
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2011 :  21:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dahauss, no on all accounts. They are completely separate apps. I am trying to access the degree that the new app even supports Custom POI OV2 files. It definitely doesn't support proximity alert files.

Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2011 :  22:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so it doesnt support transferring any data and doesnt support custom POI's. what the hell were they thinking? I put in a support request to ask about this and havent heard back. So far, I am in the process of reloading the maps as it didnt even pick up on the old maps. Im very disappointed that they didnt let the program UPGRADE from the V8 that people already have. WHY did they do this? I now purchased and cant get a refund IF I can get everything transferred over since I will be past my 15 minutes of testing time :(

I hope ALK responds and tells me I can get all my CUSTOM POI's and subscription for LIVE TRAFFIC moved over.. I cant have 2 COPILOT APPS on my phone as I dont have the space!

continued : I am on the phone with support now. THEY have no idea yet about anything! They did check and I can RE-IMPORT all my POI's.. I cant transfer them over yet (or they dont know if you can). My PREMIUM TRAFFIC ETC will transfer over if I de-activate it from V8 before I uninstall V8 and then activate it on V9.

I wish they would have make this an upgrade and not a totally new product!
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  00:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd just post a summary of my tweets from today after buying, downloading, installing and using the new version of CoPilot Live Premium for Android. In all, I think that ALK improved on an already industry leading UI. The app is quick to load, responsive and full featured. The ability to drag the route in a map view is stunningly good. A great feature that is presently unequaled. Unfortunately, the new version does nothing to improve upon my biggest complaints about the previous version. This includes archaic addresses entry method which simulates the old PND style method of entering a city, then a street, then a house number. Particular poor with CoPilot is the requirement to know the correct road prefix and suffice before it will show you the search results. In other words, you have to know whether 123 Main is 123 N Main St or 123 SE Main Ave. That is archaic and ridiculous that it is still a requirement in a product sold in 2011. When I type 123 Main in a particular city, *IF* there are multiple results, show me the results and let me decide based on a quick map overview. The other big complaint that I have about CoPilot that remains without a change is how ALK handles multipoint routing. If you set a point in the route as a waypoint then CoPilot routes you on a route that is in the direction of the waypoint, all the while showing you the ETA of your final destination. That is great, however, it doesn't route you to your waypoint. It only routes you TOWARDS your waypoint. Once it is convinced you are headed in that direction, it recalculates you towards your next destination. That is a disaster if your midpoint waypoint is a hotel, restaurant, campground or other place that you actually need to drive to. If you set your midpoint location as a stop over, then CoPilot does not show you any statistics (ETA) for your final destination - only for your stop over. They missed the mark on this feature in the previous version and they've missed the mark on this in the update. They remain unable to meet the needs of a traveler that needs to know the ETA of their destination but wants to stop at various locations along the way. When I stop at a restaurant, I want to know how long can I stop here and still get to my destination on time? CoPilot can't tell you that. Really disappointing (again).

I remain skeptical of the routing algorithm and associated settings for road speeds. I stopped using v8 after a trip from Iowa to Florida where CoPilot insisted on routing me on a 4 lane divided highway. The problem? It was smack through the entire town of Birmingham, AL, complete with 35 MPH speed limits and stop lights galore. Outside the city, the divided highway was a great route. I remain unconvinced that CoPilot single treatment of "Divided Highway" in the speed settings adequately accounts for a divided highway inside a city versus a divided highway in the Country.

Finally - the maps. They remain as they were in v8, which is not good. They lag Google Maps and Navteq in every one of my test areas that I always check for a new product. They share similar problems as TeleAtlas in some areas. Map quality seems to be the #1 complaint about CoPilot in both the Android market and Apple App Store. I don't see v9 making any changes to this criticism.

ALK appears to need a geographically lesson as well. From my reading of all printed information, the Premium app includes maps of the United States. It also appears that you can buy Canada for another $4.99. When you go into the app, you can pick map modules to download in you'd like (i.e., Midwest, Northeast, Southwest, etc.). There is a separate module for Canada ($4.99). There is no United States, to download the entire US at once. BUT, there is a North America module. I am downloading North America now without paying $4.99 more for Canada. However, the North America map is listed as 1.3 GB which, if I remember right, is the same size as the US maps for v8. My guess is that ALK has the United States map module mislabeled as North America.

Here is my tweet summary:

Smooth purchase and download process for new @copilotlive_us Premium USA v9. @copilotlive_us Premium USA v9 is 16mb but app2sd is enabled reducing is to 324kb in memory. Nice work!

Bizarre @copilotlive_us Premium screen calibration process wants a real penny on screen & adjusting a circle to fit it. Off to find a penny.

@copilotlive_us v9 setup allows use of Android system TTS voices. Nice. Using @svox that I've previously paid for.

The frustrating licensing unlock process of @copilotlive_us v8 appears gone in v9. Very good.

There is a modular map download process in @copilotlive_us v9. You can pick regions of the US. All of N.A. is 1.3gb. No US only option.

@copilotlive_us v9 add-ins include Gas Prices for $4.99 (1 yr) and traffic ($9.99). Traffic well worth it for @INRIX data.

Don't like that @copilotlive_us v9 #activetraffic starts delay alert at 10 min delay. In small markets @INRIX covers 10 min delay is a lot.

@copilotlive_us v9 includes weather, Wikipedia and Bing search for free.

Sad to say @copilotlive_us v9 makes no improvement in ridiculously rigid address/intersection lookup. Still requires knowing prefix / suffix. Try looking up well known intersection of State & Lake,Chicago, IL in @copilotlive_us v9. Still must know prefix and suffix. Disappointing.

@copilotlive_us v9 address entry still old PND style "city, then street name, then house number." Not close to @googlemaps Mobile usability.

Usual @copilotlive_us map probs still in v9. "LA Grant Pkwy & University, Waukee, IA." Google, Mapquest, Navteq: YES. CoPilot? TomTom? Nope. To find "Waukee South Middle School, 2350 SE LA Grant Pkwy, Waukee, IA" in @copilotlive_us v9. Look up in @googlemaps, type lat/lon into CPL

No sorting capability of favorites in @copilotlive_us v9. Not alphabetical or closet to current location.

Graphical avoid road & detour functions in @copilotlive_us v9 are nice. @googlemaps Mobile has a lot to learn in this regard.

Dragging the route to force road usage in @copilotlive_us v9 is stunningly good. Blows any other Android solution out of the water.

In a @copilotlive_us v9 route, selecting POI or fav recalcs new route to that location. Should ask "new route" or " add to current." Nope.

@copilotlive_us v9 multistep route planning still limited like v8. If interim loc is a stopover, you can't get your final ETA. If @copilotlive_us multipoint routing loc is a waypoint then it doesn't route you precisely to the loc. Routes you towards loc only. @copilotlive_us multistep routing maddening. If traveling from A to C via lunch @ B, I want routed to B and know ETA at C. Can't do it.

@copilotlive_us v9 improves on already best in class UI. Nothing beats it.

@copilotlive_us v9 provides nice destination submenu upon arrival. Social media options, add to fav, stop route, close app. Nice work. Wish @copilotlive_us v9 had option to manually show destination sub menu again. Disappears automatically while driving through parking lot.

@copilotlive_us v9 appears very stable. No FC yet. Very smooth operation on EVO. No hesitations or stutters. Handles 2000+ contact file.

Your route in @copilotlive_us v9 is a green line. Makes it hard to read traffic map which shows free flow traffic as green also.

Hope to see "all traffic delays" as option in @copilotlive_us v9. Des Moines freeways could be gridlocked & still not cause 10 minute delay.

Any dialog box in @copilotlive_us v9 using Android keyboard allows use of Android voice recognition even though no native support in app. @copilotlive_us v9 still needs to support me speaking "Costco, West DES Moines Iowa" into mic and finding it like @googlemaps perfects.

No sign of nice traffic bar on side of @copilotlive_us v9 screen. Nothing until traffic reported? That was nice reminder of traffic working.

When selecting Contact in @copilotlive_us v9, route is auto generated. No way to just add to Fav. Must add fav from route menu then cancel.

Traffic flow color nicely shown on @copilotlive_us v9 3D maps. @googlemaps Navigation should take note.

@copilotlive_us v9 routing suffers from previous problem: can't seem to tell difference between a divided highway in city vs country.

Road sign imagery in @copilotlive_us v9 remains quasi at best. Not accurately showing exact sig text. Just shows road name & direction. Lame

Retract comment about @copilotlive_us v9 taking 324kb after using app2SD. On initial run, app unpacks data. Now listing 12.5 MB in memory.

@copilotlive_us v9 not integrated w/ Android. Click on address in calendar appt, choices: Maps, Telenav, Mapquest, NAVIGON. No CPL option. No @copilotlive_us integration w/ other apps like Yelp. Click on address, no CPL option. Only CPL competitors listed. Hugely disappointing.

Hey @NAVIGON_US check out @copilotlive_us for another app that doesn't require acknowledging a lawyer screen every time you use the app!

@copilotlive_us v9 app startup speed is as fast as @googlemaps Navigation. Nice work. Makes @NAVIGON_US startup wait painful.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  00:58:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the summary as rereading "raw" tweets is not much fun ;-)

I'm with you on the multi-point routing on GPS apps, they all have it wrong except for Navigon that show you "Distance to Go" and "ETA"/"Time to Go" to your next stop and to your final point. I'm beginning to wonder if they don't have a patent on that (I asked them at MacWorld, they weren't sure!) because anyone who uses GPS seriously knows how useful this is.

Thanks for refreshing my memory on traffic as an in-app purchase, I hadn't seen it mentioned on their blog so I got concerned.

Overall not a terribly impressive update then, other the "route bending" that might be more "nice" than "need" on the road.

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  01:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tweeting was more about me taking "electronic notes" than about expecting anyone to read them!

I am sold on GPS apps. I haven't used a PND since I gave my Nuvi 885T to my wife and put my TT 740 Live on the shelf. No one has nailed the total app experience yet. For me, that would be the usability of Google Nav, the UI and feature set of CoPilot, the stored map quality of Navigon but only for times without a data connection and the frequent update online map capability of Google Nav (i.e., Google Map Maker).

TomTom, in my opinion, has a single market strength left - IQ Routes. I am a big believer in that. But, as evidence of my 740 Live being on the shelf, not a big enough believer to put up with the other baggage that their connected PND created. IQ Routes in a well done Android app, could be a good option. I still am not convinced we'll ever see it.

After today, I will continue to use Google Nav as my main app. I'll use the new CoPilot as a backup for areas without a data connection. I will also use CoPilot for times when traffic in markets too small for TrafficCast is a factor - I'll rely on Inrix then. I'll likely switch back to Google Nav in large markets where Google Nav traffic coverage is more robust.

CPL Premium doesn't sway me away from Google Nav today.

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  01:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@jeffcarp94, could you confirm for me if the premium North American map includes Canada, or if you must separately purchase the Canada module?

As you noted, the description is clear as mud.

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  01:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can confirm that, after downloading the "North America" map module, there are no street level maps of Canada. There are only major highways in Canada.

Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  04:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried IMPORTING custom POI's .. it doesnt seem to work. it detects them and then asks me for a category.. then there is a button for NEW CATEGORY.. I press that and brings me to another menu and doesnt let me create a new category.. I dont even think it imported my poi's although it doesnt detect them anymore in the folder..
this all worked fine on V8.. whats up with 9.. why is this broken.. also I dont see any POI alert feature like V8 .. why they they make this so different and remove important stuff?? I have support tickets in but no response yet...
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  13:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little torn about upgrading to this new version.

On the one hand, $9.99 (or even $2.99) is not very much money at all!
On the other hand, per JeffCarp's review, there's really not a lot of real "meat" to the upgrade. And, frankly, as an owner of Copilot 8 who had to deal with ALK's ABYSMAL tech support, I am not so happy to give them more of my hard earned cash, even if it is only $9.99.

Hmmm, need to decide what to do........

Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  13:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it appears if you upgrade to 9 you will lose some features.. One being the POI ALERTS which I used all the time. It also gets my address wrong.. I put in my city and it finds it but then when I put in my street and address, it changes the CITY to another one that shares the same zip code. I dont get it... V8 DIDNT do this.. I had to get a lot of things resolved on V8 and now I am om v9 HOPING things would be better, only to find out that I cant do what v8 did (and I cant get my Custom POIs working and NO ALERTS).

what were they thinking??????????????????? I paid for it and I am past the 15 minute period so I cant get a refund if I want to go back to V8

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  13:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked the following of @copilotsupport on twitter: "Will Copilot 8 maps continue to be updated now that the new version of Copilot is out?"

And got the answer: "Hi Larry, sorry I don't yet have any information on this. We'll post something on blog as soon as we do."

Are you kidding me? You come out with a new version of a product and you don't tell your support team if the now-older version will continue to receive map updates?

Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  14:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I called and asked questions, I was told that since V9 just came out, they have no info to help me yet. How can they release a product and not know anything about it? I still havent gotten answers to my support tickets and I need them to put back in POI ALERTS and fix the Custom POI importing. It looks like a nice program .... BUT Im about to go back to V8 because things just arent working.. good thing I made a backup with TITANIUM BACKUP so I can go back if needed....
Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2011 :  14:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by larryc

I'm a little torn about upgrading to this new version.

On the one hand, $9.99 (or even $2.99) is not very much money at all!
On the other hand, per JeffCarp's review, there's really not a lot of real "meat" to the upgrade. And, frankly, as an owner of Copilot 8 who had to deal with ALK's ABYSMAL tech support, I am not so happy to give them more of my hard earned cash, even if it is only $9.99.

Hmmm, need to decide what to do........

I did the upgrade without asking any questions first, figuring it would UPGRADE my DATA.. NOPE... I wish copilot would THINK before they release a new version.. The current price is cheap enough but if you cant upgrade your data (I had to uninstall V8 to make room for V9).. I Hope they answer my 2 tickets about V9 but I bet it takes weeks since I bet no one will know how to resolve.. in another forum I asked about the POI ALERTS and someone said there are NO alerts in V9.. I then asked to have it put back but no reply yet...

this is crazy...
Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2011 :  02:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK well it looks like NO ONE in copilot support knows anything.... One person told me I could transfer my premium traffic and live search/gas subscription to V9 BUT they couldnt figure out how.. Now I receive an email saying I can not and I have to buy it again.. I have more then 1/2 a year left and they are telling me to buy it again? NFW! Im waiting to hear back again as to what I do to get my subscription onto the new version.. they also took out a lot of features from V8 an I opened up a ticked pleading for them to put them back in V9... I like V9.. one big thing is the text is SO SMALL on my phone (EVO 4G).. you cant read it when the phone is in the car cradle .. I asked them to make it more readable ...
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 01 juil. 2011 :  03:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of questions answered here: http://blog.copilotlive.com/na/2011/06/30/all-your-questions-answered/
(No idea why the company didn't have these answers BEFORE the launch; it seems like they just pushed the product out the door without thinking through the user implications.)

Some major points:
* Copilot 8 will be sunsetted (is that a word?) later this year; no more map updates for V8 after October 15, 2011
* You will be able to transfer your active traffic license from V8 to V9, but you can't do it just yet.
* Map updates will be free for 12 months; after that you can purchase another year of updates for $9.99

I'm still torn about whether or not to upgrade. As I wrote earlier, it's only $10 or so which is really not much at all in the scheme of things. But on the other hand, I've purchased Copilot software twice so far (once on Windows Mobile, and once for Android) and each time I have found the company's support to be abysmal. Given that there appear to be bugs and/or other problems with the new release, I am hesitant to pay yet again knowing I am going to receive terrible support when I contact them.

continued : If you flash custom roms you may run into problems with Copilot V9. See the discussion over on Android forums for more details:

Edited by - larryc on 09 juil. 2011 03:22:48
Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01 juil. 2011 :  16:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really want to know why they made all the text on the maps and on the menus ETC SO SMALL that you an not read them easy... on V8 it was nice and clear!! this is just one of my complaints.. I sure hope COPILOT FIXES THIS and the other issues OR I will be moving to a different product.. what product is out there for ANDROID that does what copilot does (with spoken street names, custom POI and POI alerts etc)?
Go to Top of Page

dbaldock99

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2011 :  18:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 WiFi from Amazon (now at US$339) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U9USEA), and one of the AutoDASHMOUNT Portable Friction GPS Mounts from AccessoryGenie (http://www.accessorygenie.com/autodashmount-portable-friction-portable-gps-mount-p-8891.html).

We'll be using it as a GPS on a trip to the UK at the end of September, so I'm planning to buy the ALK CoPilot Live Premium for Android application.

I see on the CoPilot Live web site that they list Map Coverage information for the available European Maps, but there's not any cost or purchase information. Since I'll be buying the USA Maps version for my primary use, what's the process for purchasing / installing the UK Maps for CoPilot Live, and how much space do they need on the Internal Memory or Micro-SD card?

Thanks,
David Baldock
Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2011 :  13:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also bought this new version. Moving from CoPilot Live 8 this is what I found:

-Favorite locations did not carry over to the new version. What's more, to be able to store any location, like, I don't know, my home location, I had to "subscribe" to some "service". Why someone would think that this improves user experience is beyond me. After that I manually moved the file where CoPilot 8 stores them, to the folder where CoPilot Premium lives in, and it worked as expected; I doesn't look too hard to implement so the user doesn't have to bother manually move files, I think.

-I am still having a problems with voice instructions, much like with CoPilot 8: voice prompts are cut at the beginning making them almost useless. Most of the times I have Spotify playing music, CoPilot pauses music and then you get the voice prompt, maybe is that the problem? (who's still playing music form CDs? I would think that streaming MP3 or whatever you have on your phone is a more common scenario). Anyway I'd prefer if music volume was lowered, not stopped.

-The user interface is nice looking, but tries to go too far into making it look like a car dash or something. I just need the data and the map, everything else just gets in the way. The menu button is the most unintuitive one I've ever used. But that's mostly a personal opinion, maybe I'm too used to TomTom.

-Routing has improved. You are given some more flexibility in choosing which route to take. It's a welcome improvement.

-September 2010 maps? Really? Come on ALK, you sure have the latest Navteq maps around, don't hold them hostage!

-The naming scheme is getting complicated. CoPilot Live 8, then CoPilot Live Premium, what will be next? CoPilot Live 10 Premium Ultra Plus? A simple numeric based naming scheme should keep it nice and simple for anyone to tell which version is newer (and better!).

It all sounds a but negative, I know. But overall I think it's not a bad product, it just needs some improvement in a few areas. I my opinion Android still doesn't have a really good navigation program, and from the bunch I tried, CoPilot is the best. Navigon on Android is severely lacking. Google Navigation, beta of course, does the job of driving you from A to B just barely. I've not tried anything else. I just need something that works off-line (I'd rather use my data plan for something else), can store several locations for quickly driving you to them, a good routing engine, possibly being able to modify the route (avoiding roads/streets, driving through some defined location, etc.), and doesn't screw much on the user interface (I like it simple, it makes for a faster reading when you're driving).

BTW, it seems that CoPilot Central is finally gone. Wohooo! It was about time to break free from a desktop to keep CoPilot maps updated.

Samsung Galaxy SIII | TomTom Carminat

Edited by - igalan on 04 août 2011 13:17:00
Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2011 :  15:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest version of NAVIGON is nice but its missong things like a nice detailed MAP with POI display, POI alerts etc.

as far as the audio on copilot being cut off, I have the same issue when using bluetooth AND I am told that they are working with someone to fix this issue..

Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2011 :  16:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to hear, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get right at first try; I have no issue with this when using Navigon or Google Navigation.

Navigon is missing too many features on Android. I first used Navigon on a PocketPC, quite a few years ago. Today's Navigon has even less features, although I recognize that routing is a bit more flexible, at least it usually will give you two to three different choices. I've heard that the iOS version of Navigon is much better, but no way I'm going to carry my iPad (which is the only iOS device that I have) for GPS Navigation; anyway it's not the 3G version, so no GPS on board and no way to connect to a Blutooth GPS.

BTW a new version of CoPilot Premium was released a couple of days ago, but I haven't had time to try it.

Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2011 :  16:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you played with the LATEST RELEASE of NAVIGON? I too said it was missing a LOT of features UNTIL I got the updated version about a month or so ago....

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2011 :  16:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoPilot doesn't use Navteq maps. They use their own. That is the biggest problem with their product. Their maps are terrible. Spend some time reading customer comments in the Android Market and Apple App Store and it is a broken record: "bad maps." It really is too bad that they do this. I've always said that I think their UI is one of the best around. But their maps are just ridiculous.

Go to Top of Page

dahauss

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2011 :  16:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually in my area, the maps from copilot are pretty good.... what dont you like about them? take a look at the navigon map... it might be OK from the standpoint of what map company it uses but when you try to look at the map while driving, you cant see anything.. very low detail. I know that wasnt what you were referring to but I thought I would throw that out too..

If someone would take the best features of navigon, copilot, waze and google navigation and put it into one GREAT program, it would be awesome.. Im not a programmer that can program android or IOS apps, but I could help get this project going with others if we wanted to create a great app... not sure how though...
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2011 :  17:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problems that I have with the maps, when compared to competitors, is the lack of inclusion of recent (i.e., last 2 - 3 years) construction and just plain errors that shouldn't be there. I understand that they have the MapSure program and promise to add stuff. But I just am not going to spend much time fixing ALK's maps. If I spend any time fixing maps, which I do, it will be Google Map Maker, where I know there are millions of other people doing the same thing. I see no real point in contributing to fixing maps of a rather small player like ALK when I know there are few other people doing it also.

I used CoPilot v8 on a trip from Iowa to Florida last summer. I have an app on my phone that allows me to record the lat/lon of map errors and writes that lat/lon to a text file. It also opens the microphone on my phone for 15 seconds and allows me to record an explanation of the error. From Iowa to Florida I encountered 19 map errors in CoPilot v8. These were not little side streets. These were highway and even freeway errors. Bad errors like wrong interstate directions (saying to go the correct way, but calling it northbound when it is southbound, etc.) On the trip back, I used Garmin. I had 2 errors - and they were do to a recent freeway mile marker update.

The other problem that I had with CoPilot is what I observed to be its inability to differentiate between a highway in a rural and urban setting. I like to drive rural highways because we often travel in an RV. I have my preferences and speed settings set as I like them. But CoPilot will throw me straight through an urban highway that is technically only a highway in name only. In reality, it is a major city street complete with stoplights and traffic. It doesn't know the difference between that and an lonely highway in the middle of the country.

Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2011 :  17:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Navigon 3.6.2 (Iberia), which is the latest available on the Android Market. But I haven't used it much, so maybe you're right and Navigon has finally brought it to feature parity. This summer I shall have some time to test it properly. What I didn't like is that favorites are stored o a non user accessible are, so when I moved form a Nexus One to my current device, my favorites where stuck in the old device (I don't want to root or change the ROM in order to do something that should be standard).

About CoPilot, I am pretty sure it's got Navteq maps. They are virtually the same as the one Navigon has. That is for Spain, Portugal and Andorra (why they never mention Andorra?). On Europe Navteq maps are reasonably good, and don't make the mistake of having roads that are planned but not yet built, unlike Teleatlas does.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2011 :  18:23:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, ALK use Navteq maps in Europe and their own maps in the USA, that's been a sore point with US users since...2001, guess they won't be changing that now. On the plus side it lets them sell the USA app significantly cheaper.

Drove 7,005 miles coast to coast this summer mostly relying on my Garmin nuvi 3790T and Google Maps Navigation. At first I did try running CoPilot too but I gave up as I ran into several map errors, many missing speed limits and plain wrong ETA (like GMN). You can modify the speeds by type of road and I was able to get a decent ETA but these tweaks didn't work the next day unfortunately.

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 28 déc. 2011 :  08:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally bought a Motorola Defy phone recently and I also downloaded CoPilot onto it. I will be reading through the previous posts here. Feel free to pass along any suggestions in the meantime.
Go to Top of Page

Yuma

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2011 :  02:09:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to the Android arena, having just got an Android Tablet (Asus Transformer TF-101) two weeks ago.
I downloaded CoPilot Live Standard and the maps seem OK for my local area, no worse then Garmin. (And for less then $3.00)
I do not use turn by turn or speed limit stuff (I have my eyes for that )
And the fact that I do not need to be on the net makes it all the better.

Yuma,

In Arizona, U.S.A.
Go to Top of Page

HankB

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05 juin 2012 :  14:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm evaluating copilot live v9 on my Droid X at the moment (the free version.) I see that it has the capacity to save routes if I upgrade to the paid version. Does anyone know if the paid version also supports the import of routes from a file? For example could it import a route saved from Google Maps (saved as .KML and converted to GPX or similar?) There is a post on this page that mentions this but provides insufficient detail for me to evaluate.

thanks,
hank
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05