Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2171

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on Google Android - gps4android.com
 [TOPIC] ALK CoPilot Live Premium for Android
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Jim1348

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2010 :  04:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updated 20110621 - ALK have announced a new version, CoPilot Live Premium, for Android : new interface, alternative routes, new route planning mode, see details on page 3.
Orignal message - I am interested in the Motorola i1 because I have a work issued Nextel. If I were to buy my own device I may be interested in a GPS application that works independent on the wireless network. I have found that ALK CoPilot GPS v8 USA for Android appears to be the only one currently for the Android OS that has US maps and works independent of the towers. I would be interested is anybody here has used this on an Android device yet.

http://www.alk.eu.com/copilot/android/

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/MOTOROLA-i1-US-EN

http://now.sprint.com/motoi1/

Ads

gpspassion

93889 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2010 :  20:17:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not much feedback on GPS on Android device yet, I suggest you check out : [TOPIC] GPS on Google Android Devices

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 04 juin 2010 :  00:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply. I will go post this there.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93889 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2010 :  07:23:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well we now have a dedicated section here (www.gps4android.com) for Android devices and even a free ALK CoPilot giveaway http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=137908 - I've just installed it (with the 14 day Active Traffic free trial) and will test on the road over the week-end.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2010 :  03:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a current (and possibly soon to be former) TomTom user, who has been frustrated with TomTom bugs and service outages lately. Having just purchased Copilot Live USA for my Droid last week, I am looking forward to some Copilot discussions.

Copilot Live USA v8 for Android / TomTom Go 740 LIVE
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93889 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  02:20:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, let us know how you like it, but for $5 it's going to be hard to be disappointed ;-)

Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  03:54:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contrary to a general theme in the Android Market comments, support seems to be easy to reach and responsive. I placed 3 calls today, all were answered within minutes, and the reps were generally helpful and knowledgeable.

One point of confusion seems to be that there is a Copilot ID, and a Live Link ID, which can be different. There appears to also be a third ID for data support (MapSure submissions). I typically use a variation of my real email address for new accounts so if spam starts to arrive I know who sold me email address. When I tried to update an email support incident this morning, it was refused because the email I sent the update from (my real email address) did not match the email I used to submit the incident (my Copilot ID).

All of this confusion led to my first call this morning, which got disconnected mid-call. A follow-up call had me remove the software and reinstall using my real email address (this is what I wanted this time). Unforutnately, that email address is somehow permanently associated with Copilot 6 for Windows Mobile, which I tried briefly over 3 years ago. I never even got to the point of setting up a password for that email address back then. This has now caused a conflict with the Live Link service; everything except Live Link seems to work. But without a password associated with the account, they insist that there is nothing they can do about it, and the only way to get Live Link to work is to use a different email address.

I'm now faced with a dilemma - either accept the fact that Live Link will not work (I have no use for it really, but I don't like the thought of proceeding knowing it will never work), or change email addresses.

This is remarkably similar to problems I've had with TomTom - they seem to have problems with their database that cannot be corected. I've had three device replacements due to problems with their database that prevented services tied to my device serial number from working.

Based on my experience so far, I expect to get this sorted out tomorrow fairly quickly.

So far I like the app, but the maps don't seem to be as current as TeleAtlas or Navteq, or even Google for that matter.

Go to Top of Page

Rgold

124 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  04:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too returned the TomTom XXL 550 and got the CoPilot on my Droid X phone. It's OK for the price but there are too many map and direction errors. There is a promise to provide map corrections quick so I keep my fingers crossed... traffic seems updates seems to be quick and very accurate. Also on the positive note Copilot recalculate route in a split second (thanks to Droid X fast 1GHz CPU) that is real advantage in a dense grid. TomTom keept recalculating on and on forcing me to stop the car and wait for it to finish.

NUVI650, DROID X CoPilot Live
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93889 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  04:48:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the maps used by CoPilot in the USA have always been a "sore" point, amazingly they use their own proprietary maps built over the years with a little of their own surveying and lots of user submitted data, as a result there are some unusual errors, like streets connected to freeways when there are bridges or missing segments. I wonder if they'll break down one day and use Navteq maps like they've doing in Europe since 2003...on the other hand it gives them a lot of flexibility for the pricing.

I'm with you on the IDs, I've had several for the Windows Mobile version and Live tracking and I've been confused several times on whether or how I can reuse them even when I have the password.

I had to return my Motorola Milestone as it had no 3G in the US and the WiFi AdHoc trick for HTC Android devices didn't work so no connection to my tethered iPhone, but I have a no-name (Witstech A81 actually) 7" tablet with built-in GPS (u-Blox module) on order, should be a good platform for GPS apps and CoPilot in particular.

Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2010 :  21:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

.....I had to return my Motorola Milestone as it had no 3G in the US and the WiFi AdHoc trick for HTC Android devices didn't work so no connection to my tethered iPhone, but I have a no-name (Witstech A81 actually) 7" tablet with built-in GPS (u-Blox module) on order, should be a good platform for GPS apps and CoPilot in particular.....

I have been looking at getting a Motorola Milestone for use in the US, also. I have read that some people have bought a Canadian version that works with T-Mobile in the US. I seem to recall that although AT&T and T-Mobile have never carried it, some smaller regional carriers have carried it.
Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2010 :  00:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No joy on straightening out my email address issue. The rep admitted that they don't have the necessary access to the database to correct this problem. I opted to use a never-used-before email address (in my own domain, so I can guaranty it's never been used), but I continue to get the "account conflict" error. They have escalated the call and the rep said he would respond via email with the update.

I suspect now that the confused set of email addresses I used originally are causing the problem, but I don't know for sure.

@gpspassion: I agree that their US maps are a sore point. Neighboring streets that have existed for 7+ years are not on the maps, yet newer nearby realignments and interchanges are shown correctly. Still other names can be found when searching for an address, but the map then points to an area containing no street (it's passed the end of the street shown). I have submitted several reports via MapSure, and I'll be keeping my eyes open for when they appear.

One thing concerns me from their web site:

"ALK will issue maintenance updates to CoPilot Live v8 North America GPS navigation customers on a monthly basis, while complete new maps of the U.S and Canada will be issued once per quarter. ALK will continue to provide MapSure updates for free through December 2010."

@Rgold: On TomTom devices with IQ Routes, traffic should only be indicated when conditions are "worse than usual". So far I have compared traffic side-by-side with TomTom on two trips. In several instances TomTom indicated there was moderate to heavy traffic when in fact traffic was flowing freely. On the contrary, when Copilot showed traffic, there actually was traffic. I don't expect either system to be perfect, but phantom traffic is a regular occurrence with TomTom, in my experience.

Recalculations with Copilot on my Droid are much faster than on my TomTom. On TomTom recalculations often take just long enough that I'm passing the turn as the instruction is announced.

One thing TomTom has going for it is audio volume. One of my vehicles is a commercial van, and road noise can drown out the audio from my Droid, using Copilot, Google Maps Nav, or even the speakerphone.

Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  02:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So much for their "45 day map update commitment." Updates I submitted in early October are nowhere to be found in the most recent map update (1-2 days ago). Since these updates are monthly, even if my updates are included in the next update, that will push past the 45 day mark.

After about 5-6 weeks of comparing ALK's ActiveTraffic to TomToms LIVE Traffic, I have to say that I find ActiveTraffic to more closely resemble actual conditions, and to be far more reliable (in terms of service availability) when compared to TomTom.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93889 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  04:16:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. 45 days to process a map update sounds too good to be true, let's see when they do appear...if at all!

My new GPS enabled Android Tablet will be in tomorrow so I will be able to resume testing on the Android platform.

Go to Top of Page

UncleMike

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2010 :  14:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed that ALK changed their web site to indicate that:

"ALK will continue to provide MapSure updates for free through the life of your product version."

Whereas it used to say:

"ALK will continue to provide MapSure updates for free through December 2010."

I could swear it used to say the former, then changed, and has now changed back. I always interpreted this to mean that upon a new software release, free map updates for the prior version would cease. My guess is that there is a release pending and the date has been pushed back, or they just don't want questions like "what happens after December?" running through the heads of potential customers. It will be December in 8 days, and it would sound pretty stupid to claim free monthly updates through "this month".

Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2010 :  17:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ALK is having a US Thanksgiving Sale on their apps:
http://blog.us.copilotlive.net/?p=1865
Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2010 :  21:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed something about Copilot for Android that really stinks.

A very nice feature is that you don't have to download the entire country at once; instead, you can pick & choose particular states & regions in order to save space. Great, I think.

There's a huge catch, however. Copilot considers each state to be a separate data region. So it is IMPOSSIBLE to do any multi-state routing if you download individual states. This makes the individual state data files virtually useless unless you never leave your home state.

Mio Moov 500 / Google Nav Android / Copilot 8 Android
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05