Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2266

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - General
 GPS and Mobile News
 [NEWS] Garmin Handhelds : GPSMAP 78, 62 - SiRF4 ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2010 :  23:30:56  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When the Garmin Colorado handheld was launched in 2007, followed by the Oregon in 2008 and the Dakota in 2009, it seemed Garmin was moving away from its successul GPSMap series, the 76 and 60 released to much acclaim in 2006, being the first handhelds with a high-sensitivity chipset, SiRF's SiRFstarIII. Well they're back !

First up the GPSMAP 78 already visible on Garmin's site that takes over from the 76 with its IPX7 rating, its manual is available here. Next up is the yet announced GPSMAP 62st visible on the "Bass Pro" website who had leaked the eTrex H for us in 2007. Of particular interest is the "Incredibly sensitive" description, which could well mean that they will be the first handhelds with the SiRFstarIV chipset (already available on the FR110 watch).

Questions, comments ?

62st specs from the "Bass Pro" site :

quote:
* Incredibly sensitive and easy to use
* Preloaded Worldwide DEM basemap plus Topo 100K
* Brilliant 65K color TFT display
* Crisp 160x240-pixel resolution
* 1 GB internal usable memory
* Includes a variety of essential outdoor apps, including compass, altimeter, and wireless
* High-speed USB serial interface
* External GPS output
* MicroSD card slot (card not included)
* Runs 18 hours on two AA batteries (not included)

Incredibly sensitive and easy to use, the Garmin® 62s Handheld GPS Unit features a preloaded Worldwide DEM basemap plus Topo 100K; brilliant 65K color TFT display; crisp 160x240-pixel resolution; 1 GB internal usable memory; includes a variety of essential outdoor apps, including compass, altimeter, and wireless; high-speed USB serial interface; external GPS output; MicroSD card slot (card not included); and running 18 hours on two AA batteries (not included).

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2010 :  13:03:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bass Pro have pulled the 62 page from their site but the word is indeed that the new GPSMAP 78, and therefore the 62, is using the new SiRFstarIV chipset...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpsmapper

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2010 :  13:20:12  Show Profile  Visit gpsmapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any chance you can reveal where this word (SiRFstarIV) is coming from?

Rich
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2010 :  13:40:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just take my "word" for it, helps to have been tracking GPS chipsest since 2002 to form an opinion ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpsmapper

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2010 :  13:56:28  Show Profile  Visit gpsmapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks. I have a 78s in hand for testing. Unfortunately it does not show a chipset firmware version on the About screen, so no clues there. I do find it interesting that they tout the SiRFstar IV on the Forerunner 110, while there is no mention of chipset for the 78 series.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2010 :  15:56:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's a bit of a mystery, I suppose they don't think it's a good selling point, or good enough to risk upsetting their other GPS chipset providers. We might be able to get clues on the firmware if/when an update becomes available via the WebUpdater.

Do you confirm faster map display on the 78s versus the 76/60 ? I'd switched from my 60CSx to the Oregon 400 because of that, especially for map rotation using the compass.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2010 :  04:19:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Product pages now available : https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&fKeys=FILTER_SERIES_62

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2010 :  19:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On another site, I see they have cracked open a GPSMap 78 and confirmed the ST Micro Cartesio chipset. Is it possible that these two series use a different hardware platform?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2010 :  20:33:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess, but are you referring to the FCC pictures ? At that time GPSFix said he thought the layout looked like the one of the Oregon. Ah, I see he's posted new pictures, I can only decipher "Garmin" on the chip though, he must have been able to read all the markings.

Go to Top of Page

J@cob

Netherlands
51 Posts

Posted - 07 juin 2010 :  00:46:54  Show Profile  Visit J@cob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is no picture viewer in the GPSMap62/78, but accourding to the specs photonavigation is possible.
How does this work?

I also have seen the word sirf4 somewhere.

GPS12-eMap-GPSmap60CSx-GPSMap78s
N51º50'0" E004º58'0"

Edited by - J@cob on 07 juin 2010 00:50:03
Go to Top of Page

tivoboy

6 Posts

Posted - 07 juin 2010 :  14:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but, why no touch screen
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 07 juin 2010 :  14:49:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One reason is better legibility in direct sun light, the touch sensitive layer reduces it a lot.

@J@cob - what do the specs say exactly ? Still subject to adjustments I'm guessing.

Here is a better picture of the CPU core inside the GPSMAP 78 : link - the ST markings are well visible not that they couldn't have added an external GPS chipset but that would probably not make much economic sense.

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2010 :  03:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tivoboy

but, why no touch screen

Because then it would be called an Oregon or a Dakota.
Go to Top of Page

J@cob

Netherlands
51 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2010 :  14:38:49  Show Profile  Visit J@cob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

@J@cob - what do the specs say exactly ? Still subject to adjustments I'm guessing.

Photo Navigation : yes
Picture viewer: no

I can soon find it out myself, yesterday I ordered a 78s.

N51º50'0" E004º58'0"
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2010 :  14:43:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah good, looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Apparently some pictures of the innards of the GPSMAP 62 have surfaced on FCC's site with a design similar to the 78 so I'm not sure what's going on at Garmin with the GPS chipsets since some people in the know were told it was a SiRFstarIV chipset in there...different board designs, STM platform with a SiRFstarIV GPS chip ? Hopefully we'll know for sure at some point!

Go to Top of Page

J@cob

Netherlands
51 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2010 :  00:32:46  Show Profile  Visit J@cob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Photo navigation works, you upload a geotagged picture to the map "JPG" and it becomes a waypoint.

Besides the alarmclock everything works fine so far.
Good handling with the buttons on top.
Nice look.
Feels surprisingly heavy, didn't checked if it realy floats
The 78s comes with a 50cm long/short usb cable.
Fast screenbuilding (?)
Screen is the same as on the 60CSx.
Haven't found a software info menu.
Can upload waypoints with mapsource, but until now I can't download them with mapsource.
When connecting the usb cable, the 78 switch to usb mass storage.
Think the file handling is the same as on the Oregon, saved tracks keeps the timestamps.
Tracks are automaticaly archived, don't know if there is a limit, hope not.

So far I'm very happy

N51º50'0" E004º58'0"

Edited by - J@cob on 13 juin 2010 00:56:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05