Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2275

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2011 :  17:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snj1013

[quote]I updated to 4.2 and didn't have the issues before. I drove for an hour and the time didn't correct itself. I then did the Hard Reset and drove for another 40 minutes or so and still have the problems.

So if you say that 4.20 didn't cause the issues I would respond that the issue started after I installed 4.20. So to me, it is a 4.20 problem.

I suspect you have already done this but if not try pressing the "time" read out at the top of the main Where To? screen for a few seconds. This should bring up a digital clock screen where, by using your finger you can adjust the clock to the correct time. Then make sure the Automatic check box is ticked and then press and hold the "back" icon until your back to the main screen. Does this fix your time issue.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

tundra07

15 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2011 :  00:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided not keep the NUVI 3790LMT. I should have checked it out before I bought it. I thought that it was the best of both worlds. A unit for the car and it would also display the topo24 maps with all of the information. I will stick with my 760 for now. Maybe in the future Garmin will produce a unit that will display and use all of the maps equally. The 3790 was very nice. I was concerned about how hot the unit would get when it was plugged in. Guess I will have to buy a Montana if I want to get full use of the topo maps.

Question: Any one know if the topo maps will work correctly on a PC connected to an external GPS?

SP Color,GPS18,NUVI760
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2011 :  15:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All things considered, I'd say the 3790 does a better job displaying topo maps than any of the other recent models. But Garmin doesn't position it for doing that, and I think you just made the wrong assumption.

I have a new Montana and can honestly say it's the nicest Garmin product I have ever owned. Garmin has finally delivered the GPS that advanced users have wanted for so long.

Not sure what you mean about using maps on a PC. Long ago Garmin made a free program called nRoute that you could use for navigation with a laptop connected to a GPS. They have discontinued it, removed it from their site and no longer support it but it's still available elsewhere. I use it myself and like the "classic" way it renders topo maps. But it's old software and performance is pretty sluggish. It is also incompatible with newer versions of City Navigator (NT versions).

Garmin's newer program is MobilePC and I have been using that recently on an HP Slate 500 (9" Windows 7 tablet). It doesn't do a very good job with topo maps right out of the box, but I have tweaked my own maps and also the MobilePC software to improve that. Garmin has also discontinued MobilePC but some vendors still carry it. Probably not a good choice for topo maps unless you're an advanced user like me. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117332

Clearly, Garmin is no longer interested in providing navigation software for computers, just dedicated devices and smartphones.
Go to Top of Page

eryeal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2011 :  15:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a very quick note - I recently purchased the 3790LMT, and like many others, have been searching for quite some time for the "perfect" GPS in terms of features, screen, etc. I was SUPERBLY impressed with the 3790 - at first use, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, after just 3 days of use, somehow the screen developed a very tiny crack in the lower right hand corner, and that quickly spread into a spiderweb of cracks. I had purchased it from a major retailer so I just went and received a refund, as I wasn't willing to risk the same thing occuring outside of the return period, didn't want to chance having to send the GPS back to Garmin during the warranty period, and couldn't justify spending even more money on an accidental damage plan.

So needless to say - if they made the 3790 with a less fragile screen, it would be exactly what I'm looking for... the journey continues ...
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2011 :  16:50:04  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@eryeal:

I would caution against taking one screen failure and assuming it is a defect that will show up on every/most 37xx nuvi.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

eryeal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2011 :  22:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danham

@eryeal:

I would caution against taking one screen failure and assuming it is a defect that will show up on every/most 37xx nuvi.

-dan

I do agree with you - perhaps I was just incredibly unlucky and got a rare physical deformity. If it were an internal problem, such as maybe a system failure, lock-up, or something else - I would have been much more inclined to try a replacement. But for the screen to physically develop a stress fracture, and after hearing of other 3790 screens with the same "spiderweb cracking", I decided it wasn't worth the risk, especially since it will be used both in and out of the car. I did end up switching to a 2460LMT.
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2011 :  22:25:17  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have never heard about screen problem, but I think 2460 is a better choice. Since it is a current product, you can expect some month more of developers support.

popej
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2011 :  01:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eryeal

Just a very quick note - I recently purchased the 3790LMT, and like many others, have been searching for quite some time for the "perfect" GPS in terms of features, screen, etc. I was SUPERBLY impressed with the 3790 - at first use, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, after just 3 days of use, somehow the screen developed a very tiny crack in the lower right hand corner, and that quickly spread into a spiderweb of cracks. I had purchased it from a major retailer so I just went and received a refund, as I wasn't willing to risk the same thing occuring outside of the return period, didn't want to chance having to send the GPS back to Garmin during the warranty period, and couldn't justify spending even more money on an accidental damage plan.

So needless to say - if they made the 3790 with a less fragile screen, it would be exactly what I'm looking for... the journey continues ...

The screen is glass so I guess it could be possible for them to crack on occasion but I don't think I've ever heard of one doing that. I've dropped my 3790 a couple of time - no cracks.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2011 :  16:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here. Have had my 3790 for over a year and certainly don't "baby" it. I throw it into my glove box without a case along with a lot of other junk. No problems whatsoever. Have only read maybe two reports of broken screens. However, it is glass and looks rather fragile, so it should be treated accordingly.

Edited by - Boyd on 23 juil. 2011 16:58:13
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2011 :  00:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They break when you abuse them...not on their own as Eryeal inferred. Not pointing fingers, just sayin'. I see iPHONE's and iPAd's break from abuse as well...like by dropping them etc...but they tend not to break on their own and they don't simply just develop spiderweb cracks on their own either. I think we're not getting the whole story here...
Go to Top of Page

aerialphoto

22 Posts

Posted - 25 juil. 2011 :  06:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine's over a year old and I use it almost EVERY time I'm in the car. Occasionally I toss it in the center console when I run into a store or an amusement park, but usually I put it in it's case to ride around in my pocket wherever I go.

Except for some of the little complaints about the firmware (mostly just the Mapsource and route-creation complaints), mine has been really decent. They may not (or maybe they do) be using Gorilla Glass - but it's hardly been fragile, thankfully.

Street Pilot III - GPS-90 - GPSMAP-196 - GPSMAP-496 - Nuvi 3750 - GisTeq DPL700
Go to Top of Page

monsieurmaggot

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 25 juil. 2011 :  19:37:20  Show Profile  Visit monsieurmaggot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have dropped my 3790 on asphalt on three separate occasion from about 3-4 feet.

I use to bring my unit in the house and would put it in my shirt pocket. As I bent over, the unit would fall out of my pocket.

Every time I cursed myself for dropping it. Now I just leave it in the car full time.

While two of the corners have gouges in the frame, the unit continues to work flawlessly AND there's no issue with the screen.

The plastic piece near the rear speaker is slightly loose now but nothing major.

While I don't expect anyone to drop their unit purposely, for me, I am quite impressed how the unit has held up to my mindlessness.

Now after a full year, it's been in my car and endured a -40c winter and a +40c summer with no issues whatsoever.

Nuvi, Nuvi all the way...
Go to Top of Page

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 26 juil. 2011 :  22:47:48  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
nuvi 37xx (GCD File) software version 4.30 available

Change History
Changes made from version 4.20 to 4.30:
Fixed an error that disabled traffic on OEM units.

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi37xx_GCDFile__430.gcd

mariusz
nüvi 3490T (105-01652-00), nüvi 760 (006-B0754-00) & still 250W (006-B0737-00)
Go to Top of Page

AussieDJM

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2011 :  10:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder what it breaks
Seriously though, what is an OEM unit?
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
882 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2011 :  10:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's Original Equipment Manufacturer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05