Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1943

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

hobus

Sweden
14 Posts

Posted - 21 juil. 2010 :  13:37:32  Show Profile  Visit hobus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by embalse

Settings-Navigation-Car-(whatever is next)

I have the default Garmin speed cameras and a user defined camera file installed.

I have also seen this erratic behaviour when I try to activate the custome one. As I check it and try to save, it un-checks itself just before switching back to the previous menu.

I found this solution:
Un-check both Garmin and your own camera file. Press save.
Next check only the Garmin file, leaving your own un-checked. Press save.

Now enter the sub menu again and look at the activated files, in my unit both are suddenly checked! I have tried to drive past one of the user defined cameras and it gives a warning, so it works.

I hope it works for you too, but the software ought be fixed.
Go to Top of Page

p-brain

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 21 juil. 2010 :  13:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping somebody can help with the following:

1) Page 23 of the user manual states that with myTrends enabled, navigating to a Favourite will display on the navigation bar: ETA and traffic info, and that pressing the bar will display route options. I do not see this at all. Does anybody else?

2) The Traffic info icon is more often than not greyed out. It is only after travelling for a while, perhaps 30mins, that I receive a couloured icon. I do have a heated wind screen which I understand may affect reception. Just wondering how soon others receive traffic info?

3) My calculated routes (following just specifying a single destination, rather than a planned trip) are often a little strange...but quite often I get a more sensible route by clicking 'Detour'.
Is there a way to save (for use again, and again) a calculated route once I am happy with the suggestion?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7636 Posts

Posted - 21 juil. 2010 :  18:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Yes, a couple of us have mentioned this back a few pages in this thread. I also posted some screen shots showing one that popped up on my 3790 for a Strawberry Farm in our area. As we discussed there, these things seem to pop up for no apparent reason. I've never seen them in any other situation than having my Nuvi sitting on my desk at home, never while driving with or without an active route calculated. So far it makes little sense to me.

2. The traffic data does need to be downloaded to the device so seeing the 'grey' icon until current traffic data is obtained is probably normal. Also depending on whether your current location is covered by the traffic service may be part of the issue. I live outside an area covered by the North American Navteq Traffic service but receive data from an area some 30 to 40 miles away that is in the coverage area. I'll often see the grey icon for fairly long time before it goes to a different colour, indicating that it's finally obtained the data from this distant location. I'm not really sure whether your windshield would case a delay in receiving traffic data or not but 30 minutes does seem like a rather long time to wait.

3. There is ongoing discussions about whether the Nuvi actually 'learns' your driving habits and will eventually route you using the way you prefer (your detour route will become the one it originally calculates). Whether this will happen with the 37xx models or not I can't say. I suppose you could create a trip planner route using a waypoint(s) that would take you the way you wanted to go and then use it in place of just requesting a route from point A to B.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

p-brain

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 21 juil. 2010 :  18:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response :)

1) I guess it's a question of waiting for some more user feedback to see why this might be happening, and to understand a trend, if any.
2) I will experiment with the aerial and see if it might be a reception issue. Perhaps there is no service available in my area
3) The Garmin literature certainly eludes to the fact that the unit should learn your habits....again, a bit more use might shed some light.
Go to Top of Page

jeff3f

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 21 juil. 2010 :  22:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm currently trying to decide between the 3750 and the 3790T. I haven't found traffic to be useful on Garmin devices and it has ads (a reason not to have it at all if not using it); I don't need bluetooth.

I am interested mostly in the extra 3D building/terrain rendering on the 3790T. First, does it reduce performance (ie how quickly it moves or refreshes) relative to how the 3750 performs. Second, how much building coverage is there? For example, in Pittsburgh, I would imagine the downtown skyscraper buildings would be there, the nearby but not downtown University of Pittsburgh buildings might or might not be there (they aren't on google maps), and then lowly commercial buildings in the suburbs probably aren't rendered in 3D (google maps does show 2D outlines of these suburban buildings though so the data is out there probably). So are there lots of buildings in lots of cities, or is it limited to the few biggest cities and just downtown parts of those cities? Is the 3D terrain helpful at all?

I'm leaning to the 3750 because it's probably the sweet spot with regard to the biggest benefits of the 3700 series, the glass touch display and the other new features (mytrends and the other one that I guess means it's adaptive using historical data for routing and ETA estimates).

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7636 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  00:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to our forum Jeff. I basically have only 'looked' at places so far and not driven to them yet but I've found 3D building in many major cities. I haven't really looked yet in smaller places. The places I've looked seem to have the building in the downtown area for sure but all scattered around out side downtown as well. We are off to the Detroit area from the west coast next month so we will see how the 3D affects performance then. Certainly doesn't seem to affect it at all just browsing the map and zooming in and out on 3D areas. Here are a couple of screenshots or Pittsburgh and the university area:

The 3D terrain is really a nice feature in our area where there are lots of water and mountains.:-)

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 22 juil. 2010 01:36:08
Go to Top of Page

BAVC10

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  01:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p_brain

If I turn my 3790T on first thing and leave it for a minute or so without any user input it will usually come up with the nearest favourite - see below. However, once I move off and head in the opposite direction (without having planned a route) the 3790T will then "pop up" the nearest favourite in that direction with the time to destination comment.

Has anyone seen the traffic icon indicate a "saved xx mins" when the unit finds a better route??

the 3d for UK is good too - I've attached a couple of screenshots that also display some of the custom POIs

Houses of Parliament

Buckingham Palace

BT Tower (plus numerous custom POIs)

I've attached a couple more Junction View shots as these are a huge step forward from the previous Garmin images.

Edited by - BAVC10 on 22 juil. 2010 02:31:19
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  02:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, those EU unit Junction Views do indeed look nice. We here in the US get the much simpler JVs.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  03:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't recall it being mentioned in this topic but I believe the built-in map POI icons are no longer shown at any zoom level on the map, whether panning the map or otherwise. They are also not shown on the map when you've found one in a POI search...only the "bubble" shows the location on the map but no icon...are others here seeing the same?

Go to Top of Page

jeff3f

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  03:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick and BAVC10 for posting those screen shots. Looks like it's probably good for landmark buildings then. I'd be curious if anyone has had a side-by-side of the various 3700 models what their impression was on how "snappy" the GUI was and if it was different between the models. I may stop by bestbuy again and see if I can get them to put out some display models shortly.

Most places aren't too bad, but Pennsylvania can be a rat's nest when driving on highways. Things go in curvy directions, don't make sense, and it can sometimes be a challenge to follow a route on google maps from above because things wind and twist and so forth. Rarely signs are misleading, and it's common for streets to be marked such that you can't see it until it's too late to turn onto those roads. Place was made for GPS.

I'm going to look around for more info, but I'm probably going to buy one of those two GPS units (3750 or 3790T) in the next couple weeks as I have a 500 mile (each way) road trip in my future.

To the two posters with 3790T; are the traffic ads bothersome? Is there a way to switch off traffic if it's not wanted or the ads are not wanted? If I got a T model it would be for the 3D stuff and possibly speech recognition (don't need traffic/bluetooth probably).
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  04:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeff3f

Is there a way to switch off traffic if it's not wanted or the ads are not wanted?

Yes, the unit (as do all nuvi's which are traffic compatible) has the means to disable traffic. With the free Navteq ad-based traffic service included with the T models, disabling it also disables the ads which are not really annoying as they are small and only appear on the screen when you are stationary for a few seconds.

Edited by - SergZak on 22 juil. 2010 04:12:54
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7636 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  04:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traffic ads bothersome??? In 3 weeks I've yet to see one on the 3790T. I've seen pictures of them and they are just like the ones on my 1490T, small and as Sergzak says, they are not annoying at all and only appear when your stopped, if at all.

Go to Top of Page

Geof

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  05:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had ads popup several times but they are easily ignored.

I was also considering the 3750 & 3790t. I ended up with the 3790t and I think I made the right choice (and would do so again). I probably won't use BT but was also intrigued by the 3D views (buildings and terrain). I find the Voice Command works better that anticipated (with the windows closed and radio down). This is probably a unit I will buy lifetime maps for and given that I may have it for awhile I felt the 3790t was the better option. All in all I'm happy with the 3790t but as I mentioned in a previous post it feels a bit unfinished. I expect a SW update to resolve that though.

Geoff

Edited by - Geof on 22 juil. 2010 05:07:15
Go to Top of Page

alan sh

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  10:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobus

quote:
Originally posted by embalse

Settings-Navigation-Car-(whatever is next)

I have the default Garmin speed cameras and a user defined camera file installed.

I have also seen this erratic behaviour when I try to activate the custome one. As I check it and try to save, it un-checks itself just before switching back to the previous menu.

I found this solution:
Un-check both Garmin and your own camera file. Press save.
Next check only the Garmin file, leaving your own un-checked. Press save.

Now enter the sub menu again and look at the activated files, in my unit both are suddenly checked! I have tried to drive past one of the user defined cameras and it gives a warning, so it works.

I hope it works for you too, but the software ought be fixed.

That works for me too. So, it's a temp solution - but obviously needs reporting as a bug. I'll do it - can you as well?

Alan
Go to Top of Page

hobus

Sweden
14 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2010 :  11:33:22  Show Profile  Visit hobus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure thing, Ill send a bug report about it too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05