Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2167

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

Geof

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2010 :  15:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZX14NINJA

quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

I have a question - why would you want to save a location of some place you couldn't drive or walk to and that isn't named in the maps? If your out hiking and find a spot you want to save so you can come back to it you can do this via Tools - Where Am I - Save. Is pre-saving co-ordinates in remote locations useful for geocacheing? If so wouldn't you use Where To - Co-ordinates as you'd already have the locations of the cache?

I can't see why I'd want to select something off road with City Navigator and navigate to it, but I suppose it's possible some may have a need for that.

The "Where Am I" tool Rick referenced mostly solves this for me but if I were to use this for hiking or off roading being able to create a waypoint to navigate to can come in handy. Hobus may have provided the best answer though since it seems to work fine for him when he does not use the CN map. If it works with Garmin Topo maps the problem is moot for me.

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2010 :  19:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new Trip Planner of the 3790T seems to prove very fast and easy to use.
- First I downloaded +150 Favorites from Mapsource.
- Then I prepared the Routes in MapSource for the sole reason to manually transfer these exact same routes to the 3790T.
- After that I thought it would get very time-consuming in Trip Planner - 3790T, yet all went incredible smooth for about 15 routes using those waypoints/via's.
- It's of course not as nice as (preparing) Routes in MapSource, but if you have all your Favorites put in seperate custom categories (per route or distance or city ...) it becomes quite a fast process after all.
- My only concern is not being able to save these routes (in case of restore when things would go wrong with device firmware).

Edited by - simfan on 08 juil. 2010 23:01:17
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2010 :  20:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Geof

The "Where Am I" tool Rick referenced mostly solves this for me but if I were to use this for hiking or off roading being able to create a waypoint to navigate to can come in handy. Hobus may have provided the best answer though since it seems to work fine for him when he does not use the CN map. If it works with Garmin Topo maps the problem is moot for me.

Yes, that's really interesting. I disabled all the City Navigator maps and selected the 3rd party Washington State topo maps. Using only those I seem to be able to tap the map anywhere in Washington and get a pop-up balloon with a name or an elevation that I can then save as per my screen shots on a previous page.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1008 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2010 :  23:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it works as designed then!
@simfan, can you not backup the gox file to a card or PC in case the unit does go down? Wouldn't that give you waht you need?
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  05:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this on the Garmin website concerning the abilities of using your figures on the 3790 map screen:

"Multi-touch

Sure the new nüvi features pinch-to-zoom. But it also responds to other simple finger taps and drags. In fact, there are 10 convenient multi-touch commands in all. Plus, it has a newly designed glass capacitive touchscreen that is bright, clear and more sensitive. "

OK, I know about pinch and zoom, and we have found a couple other "moves" which were posted a few pages back, but has anyone ever seen a list of what the 10 multi touch commands are or figured out what they are, and if so WHAT ARE THEY????

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Go to Top of Page

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  08:09:38  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Rick. I'm sorry in advance for short OT.
They are ... hidden. As many interesting options in nuvi.
It is a part of game for us ;-) for summer season.

mariusz
nüvi 3490T (105-01652-00), nüvi 760 (006-B0754-00) & still 250W (006-B0737-00)
Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  14:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simfan

- First I downloaded +150 Favorites from Mapsource.
-..., yet all went incredible smooth for about 15 routes using those waypoints/via's.
...if you have all your Favorites put in seperate custom categories (per route or distance or city ...) it becomes quite a fast process after all.

Hi Simfan,
is there another way to upload favorites to the 3790t, besides mapsource? Do yo uhave the file extension and the path it is stored in?
Maybe I can try some things out myself?
An example of this file (attached) would be more than welcome

Samsung Galaxy s3, Garmin 3790t, Becker Z100, BMW R1200GS
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  15:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@lucvl. I don't have these (SD card) files itself with me at this time, but I always save the favorites on the SDHC card where these
are stored (by mapsource in my case) in 2 folders, one of these being '(root)/garmin/GPX'.
I can also easily import the saved *gdb file (exported as database file from MapSource) into BaseCamp, so I guess these same favorites can be downloaded to the 3790T from BaseCamp as well. (You can not create Favorites with the default BC map, so you must also e.g. use the CN map on the device itself).
I used many custom categories (all to be defined before one starts in Options menu - some examples to illustrate are names such as 'Restaurant', 'Hotel', 'Grand Canyon', 'Tuscan', 'New York', 'Ottawa').
Then you can create routes by simple gathering (select all in one go) all these favorites in a certain category and make a route from those (of course afterwards you may/will have to switch the via's up and/or down etc.).
That is of course just one way (that works for me) of doing this and many folks here will surely have more (complex) routing needs.
IMHO preparing the Routes first on a big(ger) PC screen is the easier.
It only takes more time to transfer the finished routes manually (again) to the 3790T afterwards.
But as other people have reported ... when you calculate the Routes with MapSource and on your 3970T results/route/paths/times... may all differ depending on the parameters that are set etc.

Edited by - simfan on 09 juil. 2010 15:36:02
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  15:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lucvl

Hi Simfan,
is there another way to upload favorites to the 3790t, besides mapsource? Do yo uhave the file extension and the path it is stored in?
Maybe I can try some things out myself?
An example of this file (attached) would be more than welcome

Transferring Waypoints (Favorites) to your Nuvi can be done in many different ways other than by Mapsource. Some common examples, and there are probably more, are Google Maps, Mapquest, Bing Maps, Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010.

All Nuvi favorites are stored in a file called Current.gpx, and I suspect if Simfan is transferring them to an SD card then they are simply being read by the Nuvi at the next boot up and written to the Current.gpx file. Once they show up on the Nuvi Favorites list, I assuming that the SD card could be pulled out of the device and they would still appear as favorites.

You can't really open up and manipulate the contents of the current.gpx file very easily but one way would be to download and install the latest version of Turbocc's Extra_POI_Editor. With this program installed on your PC you can import the current.gpx file from the Nuvi to EPE and add, delete, and update favorites, then transfer the file back to the Nuvi. EPE can be found at http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 09 juil. 2010 15:52:44
Go to Top of Page

NYC Traveler

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  16:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having trouble with traffic cameras from GPS POI. I have used these before with various Nuvi units, including the 1690. They transfer successfully, but do not appear as I drive and are not anywhere that I can see.

Any thoughts?

Thanks. (Love the 3790....what a joy.)
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  16:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some discussion about this on page 25 and 26 of this thread.

Go to Top of Page

NYC Traveler

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  16:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. The tips didn't help with me. Hope it gets resolved with a software update.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  19:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobaber

Need a answer, sometimes on the bar at the top of the screen that gives the next turn, street, etc, rather than a street it says "Home" and the minutes you are from home. I probably have done something to cause it but I can't figure out what it is. It only happens when you are not on a route, when you navigating a route everything is normal.

I had a similar occurrence last night. I had the 3790 sitting on my desk, with no route calculated, while I worked with another unit. I eventually picked up the 3790 and this is what it showed on the "green bar":

That location is buried in my Favorites and also is a waypoint in a Trip Planner stored on the Nuvi. I have never driven there with the 3790 either. Why it suddenly appeared on the Green Bar is anybodies guess.

Pressing the entry returns this screen:

which isn't very useful

Go to Top of Page

Geof

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  20:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen the randomness of the green bar info on units other than the 3790. Why it sometimes displays the road you're on and sometimes the next cross street is a mystery to me (without navigating a Route). I'd prefer that Garmin gave us a choice of what to display when not navigating. Baring that it would seem sensible to display the road you're on for a brief time then show the next cross street (and leave it in that mode until you turn). Right now it's just one of those things that makes you go "hummmmm".

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1719 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2010 :  20:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drove about 150 miles yesterday with my new 3790t and everything worked great on the way there. On the return trip I used the "go home" routing option. For some reason, it decided to recalculate (I believe the actual intersection was different from what the map showed). When the progress prompt reached 99%, the unit crashed an rebooted. This started happening repeatedly, either due to recalc or when recomputing the route after re-booting.

The fact this happened at the 99% point got me thinking it was related to the final leg of the route. Now my home is way off the road on a private right of way, and my home waypoint is the actual satellite fix of my car sitting next to the house. This has never been a problem on my other Nuvi's (I transferred the waypoints directly to the 3790). But the discussion here of the inability to save waypoints that aren't on a road made me wonder.

So instead, I did a search for my next door neighbor's house and used that as a destination. No more crashes. Has anybody else seen crashes related to "go home", or crashes related to routes that end off a mapped road?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05