Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2250

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

NYC Traveler

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  14:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it does give you that option. When you get to the category screen on the upper left is the menu icon. Press that and it will give you option for different cities, on your route, at your destination.

The software is different but all those options are there, just need to explore.

Great unit so far.
Go to Top of Page

Moyez

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  15:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simfan

This ain't good:
I read this @avforums by "Rikerboy": a.o. ...
"The nuvi 3700 series was developed without the ability to transfer
routes from MapSource to the device. The import feature found on
previous devices is not in the nuvi 3700 series.
I have passed your email onto our engineering team for consideration for future software updates." ...

Here is a post from the ceo at Garmin in Denmark that confirms this. The post is a response to a question from one of the mod's at garmin-user.dk (Translated with Google Translate):

"Let me start by finding a couple things for comprehension's sake:
Is nüvi 37xx series the latest series we have launched? Yes.
Do this (per automatics) make it as the new top model? No.
Our current top model pt. 1690, launched last autumn. 37xx series is a mid-range (this is called the manifest) series, ie. it is not our less expensive but also not the most expensive, and thus before it provides functions - not all, conversely it is not completely stripped.

It is true that there can not be transferred routes to 37xx series at this time, since this feature is not supported. It was debated during the development of the model there was a need for this and it was opted out - but it was impressed by was that the users desire this feature would be added via a future firmware update.

So if you can get members of GU - have a 37xx series, and want this feature - to make a list of users on my.garmin, so we are facing our development department can demonstrate that users have purchased the device, we can put pressure on them to get this feature added."

Link (danish): http://garmin-user.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3415&get=last#21265
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7723 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  17:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moyez

[quote]Do this (per automatics) make it as the new top model? No.
Our current top model pt. 1690, launched last autumn. 37xx series is a mid-range (this is called the manifest) series, ie. it is not our less expensive but also not the most expensive, and thus before it provides functions - not all, conversely it is not completely stripped.

Well this certainly doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not their top model, well it has 8GB of storage space, twice the screen resolution, faster processor and at least here in North America it's their most expensive model. I guess with Garmin you can't relate features and price to position in the line up

Then while they were sitting around deciding what they could put in this new "mid range" model that they are charging a "high end" price for, the wizards at Garmin concluded that they would increase the allowable number of active routes ten fold from 10 to 100, but because it's a mid range model we don't think we can build in the facility to actually use our own Mapsource software or any other software to create any of these 100 active routes on a PC/MAC, even though it's available in many of our other models. It's not like their reinventing the wheel here.

Give me break, this e-mail sounds a lot like the Garmin corporate talking points memo.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 04 juil. 2010 18:09:10
Go to Top of Page

alandb

453 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  17:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is the statement that implies Garmin is only intersted in opinions and requests for this feature from 37xx owners. With this strategy, users who require the import feature will avoid the 37xx series and therefore their opinions will not be heard.

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Edited by - alandb on 04 juil. 2010 17:46:28
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7723 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  18:02:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent point!

The other thing that seems to have got lost in this discussion is that even using the Trip Planner here is no facility to pick a Custom POI as a trip point as the Extras icon doesn't appear on this model. I wrote Garmin Support the following message about this:

"Subject: Not able to create route using Custom POI
Message: With my 1490 I can create a route on the Nuvi using Where To? - Routes - New and adding Start and Stop points. One of the start/stop points I can select is Extras - Custom POIs.

I have the exact same Custom POIs on my 3970T yet when I attempt to create a route using Tools - Trip Planner, I can not pick a Custom POI as a point on that route because Extras doesn't appear as an available selection in the list which does include: Where I Am Now, Address, Home, Points of Interest, Recently Found, Favorites, Intersection, Cities, Browse Map, Coordinates. It is only the Extras item that is missing on the 3790T. The Extras - Custom POIs DOES appear on the 3790 under Where To . It is only under Trip Planner where it is missing.

Since I understand that you are currently working on an issue where a route can't be transferred from Mapsource to the 3790, you should also add this Trip Planner problem to that work. Thanks"

I have received the following reply:

" Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I will report your request to the developers. Let us know if you have any other questions, thanks for choosing Garmin.

With Best Regards,"

Obviously I'm not holding my breath on this getting fixed anytime soon.

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 04 juil. 2010 18:39:06
Go to Top of Page

alandb

453 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  18:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, to summarize, on the 37xx you 1) can't import routes, 2) can't select custom POI's as via point, 3) can't navigate to the final destination of a custom multi-point route (you have to select the first via as the destination and let it "automatically roll" to the next via when you reach a via), AND 4) Garmin may consider adding route import if enough 37xx owners request it.

It sounds to me like Garmin has implemented a "routing lite" on the 37xx series, at least as far as custom routes is concerned. I wonder if the dynamic rerouting aspect of the nuRoute feature required that they change the custom route concept? In any case, unless Garmin improves the custom routing in a future release, I will have to say "no thanks" to this series.

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Edited by - alandb on 04 juil. 2010 18:48:16
Go to Top of Page

bobaber

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  18:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks NYC Traveler, That straightens thing out. That make POIs much better.
bobaber
Go to Top of Page

Geof

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  19:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The User Manual shows an "Off Road" mode. Has anyone tried this? I'm curious if this would truly be useful Off-Road with a Topo Map loaded.

I can't imagine Garmin not adding route importing but in my experience most everything I've owned from them suffers from some from of stupidity in the form of missing or poorly implemented features -- I'd suggest 37xx owners to lobby Garmin to include route importing.

Along the lines of poorly implemented features......On my brothers Nuvi when scrolling thru points of interest and the list updates it returns you back to the beginning so you have to start scrolling all over.....is this fixed? How about finding exits on a highway? Trying to find out what's at the next exit is futile exercise unless I'm missing something....is this any different on the 3700 series?

Thanks for any help!

Geoff

Edited by - Geof on 04 juil. 2010 19:52:36
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  19:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 3790T only has TTS voices ("Speaks Street Names") in the English variants. All non-English language options are non-TTS. Do other North American unit owners see this too? I imagine TTS Spanish and French would be in demand too.
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  20:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Dewi. I do have TTS voices in English as well as a.o. Dutch (European model but added CN North America 2011.10 MAP).
To keep it 'logical' I tend to use the native (GPS UI/spoken) language of the country I'm driving in.
Doesn't make sense to e.g. use the Dutch language, 'km', non-English spoken street names etc. in the US.
Navigating in (foreign) countries in custom languages may get us lost there in the middle of nowhere.
==========================================
No routing on 37xx is obviously by design and/or intent. Garmin would never forget about something like this.
This is probably meant to be an advanced traveller/tourist/business man's GPS (what I was looking for).

Edited by - simfan on 04 juil. 2010 23:17:17
Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  20:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
i am noit the first to have a 3790, but probably the first who bougfht one second hand.
I've tried it out today on the motorbike: lots of sun, 30 degrees celcius: result: screen is always visible.
This is far out the best screen I've ever had on a motorbike.
I can only hope this routing thing can be correctged.
I don't understand why garmin does not proceed like becker by giving an open source and having users change all to their own needs.
Example: Becker Z100 with @tomic skin: more details on http://forum.pocketnavigation.de/forum1000260-skins-und-modifikationen/1139292-tomic-skin-v1-3-6-fuer-z201-z100-z103-z099-sr3-update-09-02-2010/
the becker was not impressive when i bought it, but the changes they made made it the best navi ever.

Samsung Galaxy s3, Garmin 3790t, Becker Z100, BMW R1200GS
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7723 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2010 :  20:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewi

My 3790T only has TTS voices ("Speaks Street Names") in the English variants. All non-English language options are non-TTS. Do other North American unit owners see this too? I imagine TTS Spanish and French would be in demand too.
The trick is it only shows TTS voices for the language you have as the default text language. For example you have the Text Language set as American English and therefore all you see are English TTS voices listed. My 3790 is the same way but when I changed the Text Language to French then the only Voice Language listed as TTS is the French TTS voice. Kind of smart, in Garmin's own funny way
quote:
Originally posted by Geof

Along the lines of poorly implemented features......On my brothers Nuvi when scrolling thru points of interest and the list updates it returns you back to the beginning so you have to start scrolling all over.....is this fixed? How about finding exits on a highway? Trying to find out what's at the next exit is futile exercise unless I'm missing something....is this any different on the 3700 series?
Thanks for any help!
On the 3790T when you select a POI it gives you a map screen showing where the select location is and an option to GO to that place. If you tap the return arrow you are taken back to the exact same place in the POI list that you where when you picked the item, not at the beginning of the list. My 1490T works the same way.

I may have misunderstood what your asking so if this isn't what you were looking for please, if possible, provide an example that we can use to check out.

Doesn't look like there is any change in how they show POIs. They don't appear on the map screen, simply searching for a POI will not give you results by highway exit, only distance and/or direction from your current location.

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 04 juil. 2010 23:22:37
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 05 juil. 2010 :  02:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

quote:
Originally posted by Moyez

[quote]Do this (per automatics) make it as the new top model? No.

Well this certainly doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not their top model, well it has 8GB of storage space, twice the screen resolution, faster processor and at least here in North America it's their most expensive model. I guess with Garmin you can't relate features and price to position in the line up

Then while they were sitting around deciding what they could put in this new "mid range" model that they are charging a "high end" price for, the wizards at Garmin concluded that they would increase the allowable number of active routes ten fold from 10 to 100, but because it's a mid range model we don't think we can build in the facility to actually use our own Mapsource software or any other software to create any of these 100 active routes on a PC/MAC, even though it's available in many of our other models. It's not like their reinventing the wheel here.

Give me break, this e-mail sounds a lot like the Garmin corporate talking points memo.

Rick, I agree - it's Internet BS - as it's absolutely regarded as the latest and greatest by Garmin, missing only one feature over the 1690, which is Garmin connect...but offering many more features and a new slimmer /lighter/ faster platform than any previous Garmin offer. Look for a 38XX in the next 6 months, to see more enhanced features over the 37XX, but we should always remember, "Rome wasn't built in a day"...and until Garmin sees success with it's Garmin Connect service, don't hold your breath waiting to see it in the next introduction of this platform/product. Here's what we suspect we'll one day see on this same platform...geotagged camera....possible WiFi/Garmin Connect (again, if it succeeds in the 1XXX platform). Whoever quoted garbage as in the previous post about the 1690t being regarded as the premiere product in the Garmin lineup, is seriously mistaken or full of BS. Last time I checked, the Voice nav is the way of the future.

This gen product touts a multi touch display, overall 8.7mm "thinness"...glass display, super fast processing/DEM mapping etc/Voice nav/newer powered style cradle/better sound/bluetooth/ a new easier to use UI for trip panning etc...

Get a grip here - the 3790t IS THE latest and greatest, not the 1690t.
Go to Top of Page

Geof

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 05 juil. 2010 :  03:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick
On the 3790T when you select a POI it gives you a map screen showing where the select location is and an option to GO to that place. If you tap the return arrow you are taken back to the exact same place in the POI list that you where when you picked the item, not at the beginning of the list. My 1490T works the same way.

Thanks Rick,
IIRC on my brothers (755t) Nuvi when looking for, say food, a multi page list of locations is displayed but scrolling thru them gets frustrating if the vehicle is moving - When the list updates it refreshes the display back at the the start of the list even if you've scrolled down several pages. I understand the list updating but it would be far less annoying if it didn't move you back to the beginning of the list each time it updates. It sounds like the 37xx series behaves differently.

On my old GPSMap 76CS one can call select an "exit" menu which shows restaurants, gas stations, hotels, etc, at a particular exit. In essence one can find various POI's by exit rather the searching by food, then gas, then hotel, etc. IMO, this is a significant oversight on the Nuvi's.

Geoff

Edited by - Geof on 05 juil. 2010 03:11:11
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7723 Posts

Posted - 05 juil. 2010 :  05:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geoff, I haven't yet looked up a POI while moving so I'll have to try it and see but my guess is that the 3790 will work the same as the 755. In my initial response to you I attempted to detail how the 3790 worked but not while moving. That was the part I was missing when you said "when the list updates" because standing still, obviously the list doesn't update

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05