Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2167

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2010 :  23:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick "CN North America NT 2011.10" is all I could get (2010.10 on DVD+free update to 2011.10) for the European version of the 3790T.
No 3D, no DEM.
European Maps OTOH do have all features (to be expected).
Go to Top of Page

bobaber

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2010 :  23:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NanaimoRick, Does the 3790t give the names of cities and town along your route, my 680 did but my 1490t does not. I'm looking forward to your evaluation trips for the 3790T, they are very interesting and I always look forward to your next post.
bobaber
Go to Top of Page

otaku

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2010 :  23:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, is the USB port on the 3790 the standard micro USB that you see more and more on cell phones vs the mini USB that is on my old nuvis? Or is it a specialized Garmin-only type plug?

Since the screen is capacitive (like the iPhone's or any other fancy smartphone today), you couldn't use your finger nail or anything else to touch the screen now, except your finger. So that makes sense.

I look forward to a more detailed report later! Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  01:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otaku, not sure what type of standard Garmin is using but here are 2 pictures that hopefully will answer your question:

NUVI 3790T USB CABLE

NUVI 1490T USB CABLE

@ bobaber - I'm not really sure what you mean by "give the names of cities and town along your route". Do you mean when you look at a map of the route or show them on the map screen as you pass by them. I haven't driven a route yet but here is what I see if I plot a route and ask the Nuvi to show it to me on a map:

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

BAVC10

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  01:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The USB for the 37X0 series is the Micro USB type. The mini USB is for all other Nuvis (13xx, 14XX, 1690, 7X5 etc..)

In response to another poster - the 3790T in Europe has Topographic / elevation details AND 3d buildings, the 3760T has neither.

NanaimoRick - Would be interest to know if you notice the slower initial route calculation and the difference in speed with NuRoutes Enabled / Disabled. Enjoy your new 3790T - still very impressed with mine and more impressed with the "almost" complete lack of bugs - what a difference from when the 1690 first came out - well done Garmin

Edited by - BAVC10 on 30 juin 2010 01:20:58
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  01:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@BAVC10 - thanks for the explanation of USB cables. I'm never quite sure what's mini and what's micro anymore. I think I've got all the pieces to run the 3790 and 1490 side by side so I'll be checking the route calculation times out for sure.

Yes, the unit is pretty sweat. There are more configuration options hidden away in the menu system as well. Things like the ability to pick a color scheme for the map screen (like the TomTom) is a nice addition, the ability to select what data is shown on the map screen, although a carryover from the 1xxx series is welcome, bringing back the screen backlight "timeout" which hasn't been around for a long time now, and putting the map information/selection screen under it's own Tools icon, are some examples.

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 30 juin 2010 02:46:50
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  03:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BAVC10

The photoreal junction view is much more detailed and comprehensive on the 3790 than the 1690 - see shots below.

Photoreal Junctionview - much better than on 1690 / 765 series

BAVC10 - do you recall how you took the screenshots of the Junction View screens? When I run into a Junction View in the Turn List screen of a route, the camera icon disappears so I can't take the shot.

I think it's nice that scrolling through the Turn List screen now brings up the JV's without having to press the "Junction View" bar at the bottom of screen, like on the 1490, but I wanted to post some screen shots of the difference in the views between the 2 units and can't seem to find a way to take the shots of JV on the 3790

Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  03:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a shot in the dark Rick since I don't have a 37xx unit but maybe the icon is there in the same spot, just hidden...try to press where the icon usually is and see if that works.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 30 juin 2010 03:51:01
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  03:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried that but didn't seem to help. Thank for the suggestion though.

Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1008 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  04:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simfan

However, it did refuse to turn on once and took it me 30 minutes to get it to turn on again (after pushing the 1 button on it many times at short and longer intervals).

Next time it happens, you might want to simply put it into the powered cradle, if you haven't tried that. That usually shocks a Garmin into "good behavior" mode...:)

The hard reset...well the only reset you have is the power button, which I have not seen fail yet from software, so if yours isn't resetting the unit after a 10-15 second hold-down...the power button is faulty and the unit should be replaced. Garmin has over the counter warranty at most Garmin authorized dealers...so don't let them repair it...get it replaced! That should not happen from a software glitch - it sounds like hardware failure to me.

@cperk - the 37XX isn't compatible with the GTM 25 or anything other than what's in the box. I found that out when I opened mine yesterday...we had a few units a and tried them all. My guess is something to do with Traffic Trends and perhaps newer protocols being used with the traffic subs...

I have not noticed poor reception, and I was measuring against my Kenwood 9960, which has a Garmin built in with Lifetime traffic in it, so I"m guessing you have either an RFI issue, or just a bad receiver. You can check signal though the diagnostic mode, if you know how to get into that.

@NanaimoRick - regarding the powered cradle plugged into a PC...it's nothing more than a charging port now, so it can be used to charge, without screwing around by plugging and unplugging and possibly corrupting the data on the unit! This is likely by design. To accept a PC connection, you must use the micro USB port. This is new to the Nuvi series, but a welcome change! Though the port is USB 2.0...it took me 23 minutes to back up the 4GB...so I have serious doubts as to it's 2.0 capability.:(

Edited by - ZX14NINJA on 30 juin 2010 04:32:14
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  05:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree that once you get used to how the device reacts to being connected/disconnected from the USB and cradle it does make sense. My backup took about the same length of time as yours.

I think I found my first "bug". We all know that currently we can't create a route in Mapsource and transfer it to the 3790T and the workaround is to create the route on the Nuvi using Trip Planner. Mostly that works, but I just found a problem with the Trip Planner. I have placed a number of Custom POIs on both the 1490 and 3790. If I then create a route on the 1490 (Where To - Routes - New) I can select one of those Custom POIs as a point on the route by selecting in Extras - Custom POIs. If I attempt to do the same thing on the 3790 (Tools - Trip Planner) I can not add a Custom POI as a point on the route as the Extras items where the Custom POIs are listed is missing from the list of available places you can choose from. All the normal choices are there, Favorites, Browse Map, Intersection, etc., it's just the Extras item that's missing.

Reporting this to Garmin.

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 30 juin 2010 05:03:51
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  05:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZX14NINJA

Though the port is USB 2.0...it took me 23 minutes to back up the 4GB...so I have serious doubts as to it's 2.0 capability.

Sounds very similar to the 7x5 series which is also supposed to be USB 2.0 but in reality is not. The only unit I can personally speak for that seems to achieve full USB 2.0 speed is the 8x5 series. The time you mentioned for a 4GB backup on the 3790 seems to be on par with the 7x5. It's a mystery as to why these new units cannot perform to true USB 2.0 spec...

Edited by - SergZak on 30 juin 2010 05:06:59
Go to Top of Page

Jonavin

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  05:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought the 3790t from gpscity; and I may be one of the first in North America

Just a quick impression for someone who's used many the Nuvi 250, Nuvi 370, Nuvi 760, i5, 60C. I haven't actually used it on the road yet.

A few issues, some of this is just confirmation of what others are seeing.

- can't get the bluetooth to pair with my Nokia N900. No problem with a Blackberry and the Nokia works on my previous Nuvis.
- no option in the Display settings to replace the default splash screen
- can't import routes from MapSource. Like others have said, you can send it over, but there's no way to import it into the device. Hope the rumoured firmware fixes this. You can export to MapSource though.
- flushed power button takes a bit of getting used to but I have no issue with it

Good points
+ Interface is good and screen is beautiful. The form factor is excellent.
+ waypoint and custom POI (speedtrap and red light info) imported fine from my 760 backup
+ first time with a voice command capable GPS, works well enough... can't wait to see how it works in the car.
+ those extra customizable data points on the nav screen is going to be great. I miss having them ever since I switched from my 60C as my primary auto routing device to Nuvi models.

Overall I see potential but the firmware still seems buggy. Besides the BT issue and the inability to import routes from MapSource, I was able to get the menu to be stuck in the Voice Command that it wouldn't come out of the menu until I tell it to "View Map", "Exit" didn't work.

Nuvi 3790t/370/250/760, StreetPilot i5, GPSMAP 60C, Forerunner 305
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  05:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jonavin

I was able to get the menu to be stuck in the Voice Command that it wouldn't come out of the menu until I tell it to "View Map", "Exit" didn't work.
That sounds very similar to what's going on in this YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7839PBxJvbM

Is that what happened in your case? If yours is a different reported case than this video, this may very well be a bug. Maybe others here with the 3790 can test this as well.

Edited by - SergZak on 30 juin 2010 05:47:26
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1008 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2010 :  06:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Jonavin - you CAN absolutely change the display/splash screen, by going into the picture viewer and selecting a picture - then clicking the new interface button that appears in most screens (top left on the bar - the three lines), but like the older Nuvi's, I believe is possibly irreversible - in getting back to the original screen. Some features have been moved to different menus now.

I had no trouble using the Voice command to exit or react to voice in any screen... but it is sensitive to background noise. "Exit" works fine everywhere...but as I said, background noise is an issue. Try a "clear all user data".

You're not the 1st - trust me on this - you may be one of the 1st here...but there are lots out there since last week. :)

Bluetooth is an issue with many devices, and it's possible your device isn't supported - check the Garmin site. I didn't see support for Bluetooth on your phone when I checked. It may have worked on previous Nuvi's...but doesn't look like it's officially supported.

@ Nanaimorick - the workaround for not being able to add custom POI's to the trip planner, is to either save it as a favorite, or go to "Recently found" after having viewed it. I tried both and it works...but yes, this should be addressed by Garmin!

The bad thing is, that in previous Nuvi's with multi point route planning, you could keep adding points to an "active route" without using the trip planner (just enter a destination using the "Where to" button, and then you could reorder or optimize the points on an "active route", but now, if you're on a route that wasn't created in the trip planner, you have no "active route" to add to and the problem there, is that the points go in in the order you entered them in...and you can't re-oder them (optimize). Kind of useless. You have to create a route with multiple points before you enter a destination. They should address this as well, but the new UI for Trip planning is very intuitive and is much better than previous gens.

@Sergzak - I looked at the Youtube video. Clearly, he needs more practice. I tried the exact same sequences...they work fine, but sometimes, depending on the voice, don't respond. If you speak more slowly and clearly, it does work! If the unit is OUT OF THE CRADLE, the "go home" command will ask you if you want to drive or walk, since when out of the cradle is in the default "walking" mode. That's normal. You can always call up the voice command from any screen if the exit button doesn't work and just say "View map". Voice command needs some work @ Garmin to address a few issues...

Edited by - ZX14NINJA on 30 juin 2010 06:27:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3,25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05