Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2250

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 37xx - User Reviews - v4.80
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 88

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2010 :  13:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@lucvl: why routeconverter ? I read about it's features, but of what benefit could it be for the 3790T ?
As long as I have no idea where to put any converted file and with which name it is to be supposed to have and be (where, SD and/or Nuvi drive?).
Routes are stored in one and the same file on my SD card. I know this because I can export routes (with Mapsource export/import) and later on import these routes again (from SD card), but it won't show anywhere on the 3790T device, and I see no import function on this 3790T (like the one Rick mentions). But thanks for the suggestion. I think more and more this nuvi is not supposed to offer routing export/import (at least not yet).
Fot the time being I will stick to creating waypoints on Mapsource, export those and use Trip Planner (on device) with those imported Favorites.
Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2010 :  14:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simfan

I think more and more this nuvi is not supposed to offer routing export/import

Hi,
if this is true I would never buy it. Importing routes is what I do most of the time, and is extremely important to me.
I hope Garmin will react, or that a solution can be found like the Becker Crocodile: Becker does not offer this, but a user community created the possibility, including changed skin etc.

Did you check http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/page12.htm

Samsung Galaxy s3, Garmin 3790t, Becker Z100, BMW R1200GS

Edited by - lucvl on 20 juin 2010 14:42:18
Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2010 :  17:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucvl, thank a lot for this great find/link.
I learned quite a lot from this !
Even without routing capabilities, but these usefull Favorites tips I can manage quite some of my future trips.
However, I still don't see anything regarding how to get to or get around the fact of not finding the custom routing menu item(s) on the 3790T.
I guess we'll have to stick with MapSource Favorites/Waypoints export until we figure this one out.
With the usefull tips I got here from all of you I believe (at least for now) I may not really need true 'Routing export/import' features as it will be sufficient to use my MapSource imported Favorites/Waypoints to the maximum abilities of the 3790T.
But that's me and as always ... your mileage may vary !

Edited by - simfan on 20 juin 2010 18:19:57
Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2010 :  20:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess we'll have to stick with MapSource Favorites/Waypoints export until we figure this one out.

hi,
if this works (.gpx files) then it should also work with routeconverter, not?
Or did I not understand your reply correctly?
thanks for any info

best regards
luc
boechout, becker corco, r1200gs

Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2010 :  21:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I found out that the 3790T CAN indeed NOT import and/or export routes in or out of MapSource.
By comparing manuals of nuvi's with and without routing capabilities I found that the Garmin Manuals differ when describing the "Supported File Types" for MapSource.
Let's compare the "Supported File Types" section of 2 high end Nuvi GPS devices, the 5000 and the 3790T User's Guides:
Garmin Nuvi 5000 User's Manual US page 21:
. Maps, ROUTES, and waypoints from MapSource
Garmin Nuvi 37X0 User's Manuals US page 44:
. Maps and GPX waypoint files from MapSource
The rest is the same.
It sure seems that, because of the new and quite capable "Trip Planner", replacing the former "Routes" option, this causes the new 3790T device to have become somehow less capable/incompatible(?) with MapSource.
This may also be marketing (like buy the 5000/8000 series?), who knows ?
I believe Garmin should make this clear in the specifications pages of the Website. What's the use of buying additional Maps(+Mapsource) on DVD if we can't transfer routes (only JPEGs, waypoints and POI's according to the manual) ?
Anyway, this is something potential (37x0) buyers better know in advance.
To me it's not that big a deal, but if I find something that bothers me, I can't and won't stop until I find an answer :)

Edited by - simfan on 21 juin 2010 10:54:18
Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  10:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

... how do I make MapSource created Routes appear, as such, in the 3790T 'Trip Planner' ?
Thanks, regards,
Stefaan.

Hi Stefaan,
I'll have to buy one first before I can answer your question. But I'll keep on searching the internet anyway.
If I find something I'll let you know

best regards
luc

Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  10:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks Luc, but I just changed my posted item above yours.
I think I found the anwer I was looking for ... (see 2 posts above this one) and it is not looking good if you want to transfer routes in/out of Mapsource.
The weird thing about this is that the 37x0(T) allows for (seemingly) the same routing capabilities 'on-device', including storing the route info, as other nuvis like the 5000 series. Yet unlike other 'routing capable' devices it can not export, nor import these routes in MapSource. Question remains, why ?
Thx all.
Stefaan.
<Ok, I found out that the 3790T CAN indeed NOT import and/or export <routes in or out of MapSource.
<By comparing manuals of nuvi's with and without routing capabilities <I found that the Garmin Manuals differ when describing the "Supported <File Types" for MapSource.
<Let's compare the "Supported File Types" section of 2 high end Nuvi <GPS devices, the 5000 and the 3790T User's Guides:
<Garmin Nuvi 5000 User's Manual US page 21:
<. Maps, ROUTES, and waypoints from MapSource
<Garmin Nuvi 37X0 User's Manuals US page 44:
<. Maps and GPX waypoint files from MapSource
<The rest is the same.
<It sure seems that, because of the new and quite capable "Trip <Planner", replacing the former "Routes" option, this causes the new <3790T device to have become somehow less capable/incompatible(?) with <MapSource.

Edited by - simfan on 21 juin 2010 13:32:57
Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  15:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

GPX waypoint files from MapSource

Ok sorry for beneath question ,because it might be a really stupid question:
is there a difference between GPX route file and a GPX waypoint file?

Go to Top of Page

simfan

Belgium
69 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  15:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"is there a difference between GPX route file and a GPX waypoint file?"
Guess not. One would assume my reasoning is flawed, yet is it mere coincidense that the 3790T does not accept/imports routes from MapSource, but does for Waypoints ? (just as the Guide says it does).
BTW I think the User Guides is here referring to the KIND/TYPE of information that is being transferred.
Maybe Rick -or other expert here- can shed some light on this issue.

Edited by - simfan on 21 juin 2010 16:53:34
Go to Top of Page

pilotart

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  17:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Garmin seems to be favoring use of BaseCamp over MapSource, do you suppose Routes could be created within BaseCamp and loaded to the 37xx from there?

I have (and still do) used MapSource that came with my GPS V, I have added the Nuvi 755 for Automobile and still use GPS V for boating.

I am very happy that the 755 works so well with MapSource and understand from others posts that it also accepts Routing from BaseCamp, Streets & Trips, MapQuest, Google Map and others.

I love how easy it is to Customize my Routes through MapSource and then load the Nuvi with them.

Any desire I had to upgrade to 37xx has vanished after learning of this incompatability with MapSource, amazing that they increased 'Custom Routes' capacity from ten to a hundred and did away with the easy way to plan and load them!

Garmin GNS530W TAWS&TCAD, Nüvi 755, GPS V, Apollo Precedus, Holux 230, GlobalSat BT359, WxWorx.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7723 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  18:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pilotart

amazing that they increased 'Custom Routes' capacity from ten to a hundred and did away with the easy way to plan and load them!

And that's exactly why we need to see these things available in North America or have someone from Europe that uses Mapsource and routing extensively, verify what can or can not be done. It makes no sense at all that they increased the routes capacity by 10 fold and then have no software to support even the old standard on this model.

IMHO we haven't yet got the full story on this subject.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  18:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

[quote]Originally posted by pilotart

IMHO we haven't yet got the full story on this subject.

Read in dutch (see beneath) that Garmin acknowledges that this routing problem exists, but is working on an software upgrade which should solve the rout import issue. No timing however on when this would be ready. Let's hope

http://forum.gps.nl/viewtopic.php?p=241545
"Vandaag een beetje nieuws gehad. Iemand heeft geprobeerd om routes te importeren in de 3760, en het lukt dus niét, niet via mapsource, niet via micro-sd kaart.
Volgens de technische dienst van Garmin Belux zal er een firmware update hiervoor komen, maar ze weten nog niet wanneer precies"

Edited by - lucvl on 21 juin 2010 18:33:40
Go to Top of Page

BAVC10

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  18:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also been unable to transfer the routes I have saved in Mapsource (although Mapsource states "successful transfer") as this may be down to the additional functionality in route planning. Hopefully Garmin may add this to Mapsource rather than use Basecamp

The following screenshots may explain:

Test Route - Note timings in route not summary

Ability to set date and time (presumably for nuRoutes as I got two different times between weekend and rush-hour)

Ability to set duration at each stop (impacts on NuRoute calculation for next leg of journey

Note revised journey times with actual travel time unaffected

Edited by - BAVC10 on 21 juin 2010 18:49:27
Go to Top of Page

pilotart

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  19:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
"...this may be down to the additional functionality in route planning. ..."
On the Nuvi 755, after you have sent the Routes and then 'imported' from your Data Folder, the Nuvi always does its own 'Calculation' as it loads them into Custom Routes, but it does use any 'Via' points to create the route as you wanted.

Going North from Southwest Florida, there are 'rush-hours' that you want to avoid in Orlando, if you have a Via point set, there is no easy way around, Nuvi wants to Route you through Ocala and off interstate to Jacksonville anyway, which woud be best if you can't time Orlando around 7-9 AM and 3-6 PM.

IntelliRoute should know that, but you would need to remove the Orlando Via to take advantage of it.

Garmin GNS530W TAWS&TCAD, Nüvi 755, GPS V, Apollo Precedus, Holux 230, GlobalSat BT359, WxWorx.

Edited by - pilotart on 21 juin 2010 19:01:28
Go to Top of Page

alandb

453 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2010 :  19:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I misunderstand your post pilotart, but I import routes on my 755T all the time with via points. It is true that the nuvi recalculates the route, but it honors the imbedded via's in its recalculation.

Back to this topic ... the new 3790 features look great, but the inability to import routes is a deal breaker for me. Has anyone tried a route import from a source other than Mapsource; Mapquest or Microsoft S&T for example?

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Edited by - alandb on 21 juin 2010 19:26:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 88 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05