Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] Apple iPad 1 and 2 with GPS - User Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rick762

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2010 :  15:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wco81

It'll be interesting to see if Navigon, TomTom or others update their turn-by-turn apps. to support the iPad.

And maybe even come out with docks to accommodate it.

Some people will try to mount these things in their cars, just watch.

Dragging routes on a big screen with your fingers? Improvement in usability or gimmick?

Well, apparently someone has already done this. And I suspect that if it fits this well in a Toyota Highlander, it would look awesome in my F150!

http://www.SoundManCarAudio.com

Road Warrior

Edited by - Rick762 on 24 mai 2010 15:49:53
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2010 :  12:09:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news, RoqyGPS also works on the iPad those who don't need 3G (the 3G models add GPS as it is located on the same chip), you can save some cash if you alread own a Bluetooth GPS receiver !

As for GPS assisted guidance with the iPad, it can be challenging without the proper mount as I experienced for myself even though I'm used to having a crowded dash ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 07 août 2010 :  20:43:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Enjoying some TBT guidance with CoPilot HD in California on my iPad ;-) It was a snap to get a 3G connection up and running too, walked into an AT&T store, got a microSIM card, then subscribed directly on the iPad for $25/2Gb month to month (had to go back to get a second SIM card though as the first one was defective).

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2010 :  22:45:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apple have posted some details on the upcoming v4.2 planned for...November : http://www.apple.com/ipad/software-update/ including multitasking as seen below :

Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2010 :  04:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So has anyone used the iPad extensively (more than just trying it out) for TBT?

It seems not all GPS apps. have moved to support the iPad. In fact, most of them have not, if I'm not mistaken. So probably too much to hope they might really take advantage of the larger screen, to let you drag routes in planning and similar features better done on the larger screen.

Some luxury car makers have made iPad mounts in their cars at shows -- may have been concept cars tho.

The tablet category is expected to take off. It may always trail smart phones but should grow so there should be innovation from GPS app. developers.
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2011 :  22:01:23  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used my wife's iPad for a GPS purpose today for the first time, even though I am approx. 90 miles from it at the moment.

We are expecting some very nasty weather and she is on her way back from a meeting in Boston. As of this post her bus is entering Marshfield, MA, southbound on Rt. 3. Obviously I don't know how precise that position is, but I can see the progress of the bus through rush hour traffic as it heads south, displayed on a Google map.

I wonder how often the "Find my iPad" app is going to be named in divorce cases in the coming years [grin]?

Yes, I warned her it has this capability before she fired it up for the first time [g].

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2011 :  22:22:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck with that trip! I'd used Latitude, but hadn't heard of the "Find my iPad" app, will look it up.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2011 :  22:30:52  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It used to come with each MobileMe subscription and is now also free to owners of new iPads and iPhones with no MobileMe subscription or fee required.

I just switched to satellite/hybrid view in Google maps and can tell which lane the bus is in. I'm impressed -- I know the route well enough to verify that it was in the left lane on a road called the Scenic Highway, preparing to turn left and get back on Rt. 6 after a stop at the commuter lot at the Cape Cod Canal. Pretty amazing.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 10 janv. 2011 22:32:46
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2011 :  23:02:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah that's the MobileMe app, ok, are you saying it's only free for people who bought their device after a certain date?

As for the accuracy, yes, the GPS engine inside the iPad, the Broadcom Barracuda BCM4750 is second to none!

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2011 :  23:24:23  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eligibility is a little vague. Here's a link to a Macworld article that attempts to explain it:

http://www.macworld.com/article/155878/2010/11/findmyiphone.html

Basically, to get the free service, you have to have at least one device new enough in terms of its hardware, not purchase date, and running iOS 4.2. So older phones that can run 4.2 won't work qualify, but I assume all iPads and all iPhone 4s will. I already had MobileMe, so can't verify this, but I do know that once we activated it all our devices showed up, from my old (retired) Gen 1 iPhone to my wife's iPod Touch, her iPad, and my iPhone 4.

Obviously the non-GPS-equipped devices show only an approximate location based on WiFi or cell, as appropriate, but it's still pretty useful.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 10 janv. 2011 23:51:31
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2011 :  23:30:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll give it a try on my iPad and 3Gs. I wonder if this can work without a data connection (or data roaming disabled) if the phone is lost abroad, if they use GPRS/3G, it wouldn't.

Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2011 :  00:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an iPhone 3GS and and iPad. When Apple announced the free version of the Find My iPhone application it said it requires iOS 4.0 or later.

I could not activate the service from my iPhone 3GS, but as soon as the iOS 4.2 upgrade came out for the iPad I was able to set up an account which then also worked to find my iPhone 3GS.

You can even just borrow a friends device (iPhone 4 or iPad with the latest OS), and set up an account for yourself. Then you can disable the service on your friends device but still use it to find your iPhone 3GS.

I'm pretty sure you need a data connection to find the devices.

I just tried the app, and it found both my iPad and my iPhone, even though the iPad was in standby mode (dark screen after sitting idle for a while) and had been in that mode for a couple of hours. I then turned off cellular data on the iPad and the app just sat there trying to locate it.

Another observation:

Both the iPad and iPhone are near the same window in my office,laying side by side. The iPad is located pretty accurately, with a "circle of uncertainty" only slightly larger than the iPad icon. My iPhone is found quite a distance away, with a huge circle of uncertainty. The actual location is within the circle, but the center of the circle is quite far away. I believe the phone is not able to lock to the satellite and is using cell tower triangulation while the iPad does have good satellite lock.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2011 :  02:21:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the insight, not too surprising for the GPS fix, the 3GS uses the previous Broadcom chipset, the Hammerhead II, a capable chip but much improved on by the Barracuda, also used on the iPhone 4.

Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2011 :  03:54:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any good car mounts for the iPad yet?

Maybe iPad would be illegal in some states and countries because of the sheer size.

Kind of tough to put up at dash level or above without obscuring the view of the road.

Navigon and some other apps. support the iPad, right, so someone must be thinking about iPads for turn-by-turn use.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2011 :  23:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This RAM mount works like a charm. $50 at Amazon. In my car, a VW Jetta, I look over the top of the mount (I'm 5' 11") and so it doesn't obscure any of the road. Seeing Navigon on such a big screen is really amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042HJOOA/ref=oss_product

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!

Edited by - paulkbiba on 11 janv. 2011 23:22:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05