Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2275

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on Google Android - gps4android.com
 GPS and Location on Android
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2010 :  18:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Nexus One looks attractive, able to be bought unlocked, although 3G bands may only support T-Mobile in the US.

Of course Google Navigation is a highly-publicized feature which differentiates it from iPhone and other smart phones.

Does anyone know however whether the GPS functions and calls used by Android apps. require a data connection as well as a GPS lock?

That's the case with the iPhone of course, which limits the utility of a lot of GPS apps. if you're in another country and you don't want to pay for data roaming.

Since Google is rolling their own maps instead of licensing from Navteq or Teleatlas, why don't they preinstall it locally so that you can use the GPS apps. without a data connection?

PND makers must be counting their blessings.

Ads

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2010 :  12:33:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, as discussed in the GMN topic the maps are stored on Google's server, on the other hand there are many GPS apss for the iPhone that require no internet connectivity (TomTom, CoPilot, Navigon, Ndrive, etc...).

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

delstu

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2011 :  11:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else's GPS having trouble tracking your location. It seems if I turn it off to save battery when I'm not using maps and I turn it back on it can't track me. It worked great when I first got it, now it seems it can't locate me as good. Could this be a software issue or hardware? I downloaded advanced task manager and whenever I want to end all the apps I do that instead of individually selecting which ones I want to end. Could this be messing something up? I really want my GPS to work, I'm also in the NYC area so for the most part I should have signal all the time.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2011 :  11:54:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually NYC is a tough place to "see" the GPS signals ;-) Not sure what smartphone you have but if it's based on a Qualcomm chip, you can download AGPS data for free with apps like "GPS Status" or "GPS Test" (free version ok) and that would speed up the fix.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05