Erreur dans la requête SQL

Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1930

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin® ecoRoute™ hd via OBD II - Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2010 :  20:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note the incompatible vehicle list (very short).
http://www8.garmin.com/services/ecoroute/incompatible.html

Can you make use of a port splitter so that you can connect one device to the OBDII data port and still leave a port open for maintenance and inspections?
Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-J1962M-2-J1962F-Splitter-145802/dp/B000TMCX72/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1284660997&sr=8-9

I've heard mixed messages about how well this works. Some say that one device takes priority and the other device will get scrambled data. This would negate the benefit of having a cable splitter, if true.

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2010 :  20:40:44  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FWIW, most of the state-approved vehicle inspection machines that connect via OBD will throw a big "Fail" if they can't communicate with the on-board system right away. This error can be caused by various things, but adding a port splitter increases chances of it happening. If the inspector happens to be a jerk, they have the right to fail you, collect the fee, and you have to try again later.

Not sure why you'd want a splitter anyway; the OBD port is required by law to be accessible, so unplugging the Garmin dongle and plugging in the cable to the machine would take about five seconds once a year [g].

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2010 :  20:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not in my case. I dismounted the OBD port from the bracket so I could mount the ecoRoute HD up inside the dash and keep the too short connecting cable from protruding down. So it's more of a PITA to get to it and a port splitter would definitely help in my case.

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2010 :  22:05:47  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Makes sense. How hard would it be to at least disconnect the Garmin dongle from the splitter once a year (assuming annual inspections in your state)? That might prevent the voltage drop than can cause errors with two devices connected.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2010 :  22:12:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I guess you'll have to give it a try ;-)

A quick report on my ecoRoute HD setup, it works well, and gives useful info, mostly MPG in my case, hoping I don't need it or info on an error code anytime soon!

The slight downside compared to a ScanGauge type device is that it's not always on so you can't get info on exactly how much gas you have left, the good ol' gauge will have to do ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 17 sept. 2010 :  01:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danham

Makes sense. How hard would it be to at least disconnect the Garmin dongle from the splitter once a year (assuming annual inspections in your state)? That might prevent the voltage drop than can cause errors with two devices connected.

-dan

It's just that it's hard to get to. I was hoping that 2008 vehicles and on with the CAN bus would be able to work with more than one OBD II device at a time. Maybe not.

Was hoping to find someone who knew before I plunk down $15 to try.

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

techguy378

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2010 :  09:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for anyone who has been using the EcoRoute HD long term. Have you noticed any routing changes when using the "Less Fuel" option VS the regular software only EcoRoute? The routes I've seen with the regular software only EcoRoute seem like routes that would only benefit a full hybrid like the Toyota Prius. I live in Portland, Oregon and the regular EcoRoute tends to route me on side streets instead of major freeways even when it's not rush hour and there are no traffic issues. Does the EcoRoute HD fix this? I drive a 2007 Hyundai Elantra and I know that driving 55-60mph on the freeway gets better gas mileage than frequently stopping at a bunch of stop lights on side streets.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2010 :  20:51:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think the Ecoroute HD module has any impact on routes, it just gives accurate live data straight from the car's "computer". Haven't noticed and "less fuel" routing option on my 1690 either, will check this week-end.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

techguy378

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2010 :  08:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I was curious if Garmin's statement that the EcoRoute HD directly affects routes planned with the "Less Fuel" option was true or not before I decide to buy one.
Go to Top of Page

timhewison

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2010 :  14:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without an EcoRoute HD, the "less fuel" option intially gives really stupid routes, through lots of urban areas with traffic lights, when there are perfectly good open roads parallel - and even shorter distances!

However, after trying to follow these once and taking the more sensible route a couple of times, my 1390 seems to have learnt not to do this on that particular route. However, I don't want to go through this painful process on ever route I regularly drive.

If the EcoRoute HD module does not improve the routing of the "Less Fuel" option, then waht is the point of it?

BTW, Anyone know where you buy an EcoRoute HD module in Europe? I chose this model specifically for this interface, now it seems to be unavailable.

Cheers,
Tim - Garmin Nüvi 1390 LMT

Edited by - timhewison on 12 nov. 2010 15:04:53
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2010 :  04:23:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums and good question, a quick search didn't yield any results and while you can order it from the Garmin US webiste, not so from the Garmin French website, you might want to try giving them a call.

I have indeed found the "Less Fuel" setting in my 1690 as well as on the 1695 I am currently testing, I'll select it to see what happens, I'm not really sure how it can improve on simple information like town/highway MPG info.

As a side note the 1695 sometimes loses the connection to the EcorouteHD module, something that never happened with the 1690. I'll see if a software update fixes that, I'm currently running v2.10.

Go to Top of Page

timhewison

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2010 :  11:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Europe fuel consumption is no longer quoted for highway useage - only "urban", which is based on short test circuit from a cold start and "extra-urban", which is based on another test circuit following immediately, but only last a few minutes and includes no highway cruising. I entered this values respectively for the "town" and "highway", but suspect they are both too pessimistic. (And, of course, they don't sell my nice little French diesel cars in the US - so I can't look up the official figures.)

So I'm hoping that the EcoRoute HD provides the Nuvi with some better fuel consumption values for different conditions to help it plan more efficient routes.

BTW, still no joy finding a retailer who actually has one in stock yet - although many list it as "coming soon".

Cheers,
Tim - Garmin Nüvi 1390 LMT
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2010 :  16:47:08  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Tim:

An interesting question is whether OBD-II info on a Diesel car will be relevant to the GPS. On a gasser, data such as manifold vacuum is used to determine whether you are driving efficiently. A wide-open throttle on a gasser registers zero vacuum. But Diesels, most of which have no throttle restriction, run either zero vacuum at all times or positive pressure if the engine is turbocharged.

That said, an OBD connection often supplies lots more data than the required and standardized emissions and basic engine parameters, and it differs by manufacturer. So what comes out of the OBD port on my VW Diesel will be different than what you can read from your car.

It is very unlikely the Garmin module can deal with any of this beyond the basics, so if it alters your route based on what it thinks is happening under the hood, the result will be very unsatisfactory in some cases.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 19 nov. 2010 16:52:31
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2010 :  16:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see oil pressure and temperature as well as transmission fluid temp. Is that in the OBD II data stream?

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2010 :  17:33:16  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is getting a little OT, but once you get beyond the required data for routine emission/safety inspections, which all cars in the US must supply, it is up to the manufacturer to decide what's included. You can probably find an online forum for your model of car and in it connect with a "guru" who has software that can read all of the "blocks" in your car's ECU and related control systems (climate, entertainment, accessories) and perhaps alter them. On some VWs you can adjust everything from Diesel injection timing to ability to close the sunroof automatically when the wiper system senses rain, all via OBD software.

Engine oil temp is more likely to be included than pressure, as it can relate to mixture and timing control. Trans temp, very unlikely. But again, it's different for each model.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 19 nov. 2010 17:36:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05