Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2297

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin® ecoRoute™ hd via OBD II - Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

gpspassion

94029 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2011 :  13:48:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a thought but I've seen numbers up to 121mpg going down steep hills on the motorwary ;-)

I'd try speedlever's suggestion as the field is available on my 3790.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7736 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2011 :  16:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds better here when it's almost 1000 in the tank. Kilometers of course.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2011 :  16:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've seen 150MPG coasting or on hills in my Fusion.

Garmin SP2720/7.20 Firmware/GTM-12 (5.50)/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 1690/3.90 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 3790T/4.70 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7736 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2011 :  18:50:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

The 3790 is the same layout but there is no fuel economy field listed. The selectable items are the same whether the ecoRoute HD is active or not.

I'll try the delete the connection and reconnect to see if that helps. Thanks

I've just about come to the conclusion that the fuel economy field isn't available to me as my VW TDI isn't putting out the information needed.

I've now setup the ecoRoute HD on both the 3790 and 1695 and can't get the FE field on either of the Nuvi's.

Dan, any wisdom about the VW TDI outputting this information?

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2011 :  19:31:44  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just semi-informed guesses. VW is known for using a LOT of proprietary data streams in OBD, even more so on the Diesels. Specific VW diagnostic tools that plug in to that port can show dozens upon dozens of error codes that a generic scan tool never even knows are there, for example. I suspect the Garmin plugin is limited to that generic set of data streams.

I don't know what specific info a generic OBD-II port puts out to allow the Garmin module to calculate FE, but I'm willing to bet that Diesels do it differently. Obviously that info can be derived because the built-in VW dash computer display gives you both cumulative and "instant" mpg, but perhaps it is NOT using standard OBD data to do so.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 26 août 2011 19:32:48
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2011 :  20:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I wonder if a ScanGaugeII shows mpg on the VW diesel?

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

alandb

460 Posts

Posted - 26 août 2011 :  20:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about ScanGaugeII, but I have a UltraGauge. I checked its compatibility exceptions. The VW's listed as not compatible are 2002-2004 1.8L Turbo, 2004-2005 TDI(All).

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra
Go to Top of Page

brentrn

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2011 :  22:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 3790T and EcorouteHD on a 2006 VW Jetta TDI and the fuel economy data displays continuously.

BTW: It is a very variable number and not all that useful unless you are going with unchanging speed on a flat road. I would prefer an average reading for the trip.
quote:
installed the ecoRoute HD in my VW today and paired it with the 3790. All seems to be working as expected except I don't see any way to show instant MPG on the map screen. I've read that it should be an option by pressing the Arrival icon in Standard data mode and as an option available in More Data mode (as gpspassion notes above). All I can see is Average MPG using the Fuel Economy icon under Tools - ecoRoutes.

To get Fuel Economy to display I select Tools>EcorouteHD and be sure the device is paired with the 3790. Then on the map display I touch the data button that shows direction by default. You will be shown a list of options. Fuel Economy is at the bottom of the list (you may have to scroll down to see it). Select FE then the Return button. When you go back to the map you should see the fuel economy displayed.

Edited by - brentrn on 05 sept. 2011 22:22:52
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7736 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2011 :  00:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks brentrn but it looks like the 2010 TDI is different from your 2006. There is no way I can get the FE to display on my 3790 or my 1695, I can get the same info from the VW's trip computer and your right, the average reading is more meaningful and I can also get that data from the dash screen. It's just that I prefer the "range" readout on the dash and would have liked the fuel numbers to be shown on the Nuvi screen.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2011 :  22:17:59  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to confirm, the 2006 TDIs are dramatically different from the 2010 and up models. Those older TDIs use what is known as a "pump duse" system and the new ones use "common rail." The engines have almost nothing in common with each other, including the electronics which govern fuel flow in the common rail engines.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 08 sept. 2011 00:09:52
Go to Top of Page

brentrn

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2011 :  14:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After using the EcorouteHD on my 2006 Jetta TDI I have found the fuel economy numbers to be of little usefulness. The moment to moment readings go to Infinity. The number displayed as the trip average when the car is stopped are usually 5 to 10 mpg higher than my calculated mileage at fill-ups. It's fun to look at but I don't put much stock in what I see. I am beginning to find the little leaf with with 0 to 100, red to green, display on the map is probably more useful for keeping your mileage high.
Go to Top of Page

Rickdude

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2011 :  17:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience has been very positive with the EcoRoute HD. Initially I used the GPS only when driving on specific trips that I needed Guidance. I noticed though, like brentrn that milage seemed high. So I started to keep my GPS on for all driving. I noticed that going around the corner to the store or waiting in line for fast food caused hurendously low milage to show up on trips. This and other things have led my to be more consious of how I am driving. I look at my eco performance at the end of my trips now. When it is lower I know why.

Now my average gas milage has increased 1.2MPG or from 19.3 to 20.5. The unit has paid for itself right there!

I agree though that the intsnat number as little value once you use it for awhile but at the beginning it does help. Note also, if you keep the Ecoroute connected and dont connect your GPS unit, the Ecoroute still collects data for later.

Dude

Nuvi 3790LMT
Go to Top of Page

Point of Interest

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2011 :  04:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have ecoroute HD with 2460 LT in a Citroen C5 2002 petrol 2.0l.
The setup was straightforward. Fortunately the OBDC socket is in the glovebox fusebox and there's even a hole to pass the cable through and a pocket to hold it.

Comments:
Garmin should be a bit clearer about compatibility. And one must be a bit more realistic about what it will do in one's car.
There's no walk-through to give suggestions of how to configure ecoroute features. The guides explain installation and basic features only.
Needs a scan function to rotate between displays and/or a quick method of switching screens. The link from map to ecochallenge is one button, and return trip. Other pages need a map button.

It is easy to measure fuel use over a tank, but being able to measure by journey is very enlightening. I compared 2 distinct routes today: one that is flat but through city traffic and lights and the other that uses a new bypass, but is hilly. The bypass route is more fuel efficient, but is much longer.

I have 5 gauges to choose from: RPM, speed, battery voltage, engine load (%) and coolant temperature.

Problems:
My current ecoroute score is zero, even though the overall, speed, braking and acceleration scores are not zero. Before I fitted the ecoroute HD the ecochallenge score did change, but it hasn't moved from 0 since fitting the ecoroute HD. I tried resetting the numbers (not a master reset) and deleting the entry from mileage.csv, but that hasn't helped.

Instantaneous mileage does not display. It's not just zero, it simply doesn't appear on the fuel economy screen.

On the gauges pages the speed reading is about 20% less than actual. This is giving me a low speed score of 33 on average. After 5 minutes of driving I get a "Braking Fault" on the Citroen display, which is probably a faulty or dirty ABS speed sensor.

Any suggestions?
I figured out the answers...
1. The instantaneous fuel consumption is not output is a way that the ecoroute understands. So the figure won't appear.
2. Since the ecoroute score expects fuel consumption input when an ecoroute HD is attached but (1), the score is zero.
3. I have a faulty speed sensor. The reason I get a "Braking fault" after driving for a few minutes is that I'm driving slowly until that point. When the difference between the ABS speed sensor and the transmission speed sensor gets too great at around 60km/h, it shuts down the ABS.

So actually, the ecoroute HD it not such a bad device. No replacement for a ODBCII scanner with all the fruit, but a nice lite tool.

I've just installed it in my Prius, which provides a lot more data; but I'll post about that later.

Garmin 2460 LT + ecoroute HD
Navigon 2110 MAX (Defunct)
Garmin Streetpilot c320 with GA 27C Antenna (Dead battery)
Casio Protrek GPS watch

Edited by - Point of Interest on 18 juin 2012 10:16:47
Go to Top of Page

igortau

1 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2012 :  15:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question. Why Garmin nuvi 2585 does not work with Garmin EcoRoute HD
Go to Top of Page

neadrenalin

477 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2012 :  15:33:20  Show Profile  Visit neadrenalin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
igortau,
Because it's a feature, not a bug.
Garmin always produces devices, that have at least one thing turned off, that exits in other, even older model.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05