Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2264

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin® ecoRoute™ hd via OBD II - Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2010 :  18:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updated 20110301 : Garmin Mechanic for Android now available, see details on page 11.
Updated 20110105 : Mechanic EcorouteHD app for Android announced see preview on page 9

Updated 20100705 : The EcoRoute HD module is now shipping and we have some first user feedback on page 2 by speedlever (installed on nuvi 1690).

Original Message : Garmin® ecoRoute™ hd transforms your nüvi into a real-time onboard diagnostics computer

This is a device that reads information from your car using the OBD II connector.

More info here:
http://tinyurl.com/yl7qsdq

Edit: changed link

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"

Edited by - jotne on 05 janv. 2010 19:51:03

Ads

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2010 :  18:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alternate link using TinyURL:

http://tinyurl.com/yl7qsdq

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2010 :  22:45:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good catch, I'm a sucker for all that kind of "trivia" ;-) We had discussed this before, possibly when someone read about it in a manual, anyway it's official now!

Apparently it's going to be a nuvi 1xxx only affair as per "ecoRoute hd will be compatible with many current and future nüvi models, including 1260, 1370, 1390, 1490 and 1690". I wonder what these units do that others don't. I'm not sure how many parts there are, we see one "part" of above, the "ecoRoute hd module" I suppose, but they also refer to a "transmitter" and then "one-time pairing with nüvi" which had me think it was Bluetooth.

Price seems a bit steep at $150 too.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2010 :  22:58:35  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lot of the new OBD devices use a BT dongle to send data, so maybe that's what the cable shown above is all about?

I'll bet I could strip its eco-gears in my new Diesel SportWagen. [g]

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

hpatlik

1153 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2010 :  23:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info from cnet at:

http://tinyurl.com/yk9g66x

HPatlik
Go to Top of Page

WknThDg

79 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2010 :  17:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Good catch, I'm a sucker for all that kind of "trivia" ;-) We had discussed this before, possibly when someone read about it in a manual, anyway it's official now!

Apparently it's going to be a nuvi 1xxx only affair as per "ecoRoute hd will be compatible with many current and future nüvi models, including 1260, 1370, 1390, 1490 and 1690". I wonder what these units do that others don't. I'm not sure how many parts there are, we see one "part" of above, the "ecoRoute hd module" I suppose, but they also refer to a "transmitter" and then "one-time pairing with nüvi" which had me think it was Bluetooth.

Price seems a bit steep at $150 too.

Even though it says "ecoRoute hd will be compatible with many current and future nüvi models, including 1260, 1370, 1390, 1490 and 1690.", I don't consider only 5 models being "many current". Of coarse they are going to try to push us to buy one of those 5 newer models before they release the ecoRoute hd. After all. Garmin's trend is to have us buy a separate GPS for different needs (On the Road, On the Go, One the Trail, Into Sports, On the Water and In the Air). Maybe they will add "Into Fuel Economy" now...LOL. As danham pointed out "A lot of the new OBD devices use a BT dongle to send data" and that is what the ecoRoute hd module looks like to me. I would think that they would what to sell as many of these ecoRoute hd devices as they can. Hopefully, when Garmin says "many current" here, that will include any current Garmin GPS device that supports bluetooth and ecoRoute, will be ecoRoute hd compatible. Let's hope so...

Edited by - WknThDg on 06 janv. 2010 17:42:11
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7730 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2010 :  17:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably a better chance that "many current" will end up being the 1xxx series and any that are just about to be announced while the 2xx, 7xx, and 8xx will eventually be discontinued.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

WknThDg

79 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2010 :  19:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NanaimoRick,

I'd bet you are right. It would not be the first time Garmin has shot themselves in the foot trying to force us to buy another new GPS model just to support added features. Even so, in reality, this ecoRoute hd device could be have been made for models that only need to have bluetooth and ecoRoute for it to be compatible. If they did so, they will sell many more of these than if they did not.
Go to Top of Page

dcnuvi

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2010 :  05:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I like it, when time to upgrade I will get a model with this feature. Was almost going to buy a Bully Dog for the same features, plus engine tuning but the power/fuel gains for my truck were minimal. Still would like the Ecoroute features to aid in getting the best mileage possible thru driver ed.

Nuvi 2460LMT:Galaxy S Vibrant 2.2: Galaxy Tab: GPSMap 60CSx: Vista: past devices 1490 LMT, XXL540TM,Nuvi760, Nuvi670 & TT920
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2010 :  17:21:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... liking my 1XXX decision more and more
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2010 :  18:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danham

A lot of the new OBD devices use a BT dongle to send data, so maybe that's what the cable shown above is all about?

I'll bet I could strip its eco-gears in my new Diesel SportWagen. [g]

-dan

...and you would be 100% correct - it DOES require a Bluetooth enabled Nuvi to operate with. I saw it here at CES.
Go to Top of Page

darrengsaw

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2010 :  22:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I presume you can't pair this device and a phone at the same time.

CES was not exactly exciting from a Garmin perspective IMHO, nothing very interesting at all.
Go to Top of Page

LawnGuyLander

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2010 :  18:01:35  Show Profile  Visit LawnGuyLander's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just picked up a Nuvi 765T on an Amazon.com one-day sale for US$184.99. When the prices start dropping like that, you can assume the model is about to be discontinued. A similar thing happened when I got my C550 back in 2008 with the price dropping to $165. It was discontinued right around the time that sale price came out.

I agree about the lack of EcoRoute HD support with existing models. It would appear the the 2x5 and 7x5 series could support the EcoRoute HD as long as the device supports Bluetooth (no 755T support). Perhaps Garmin will release a firmware update for the older models in order to spur sales of the EcoRoute HD dongle. I for one would grab an EcoRoute HD if it becomes compatible with my 765T. Otherwise, I'll pass.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2010 :  22:18:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A good bump, I wonder what's up with that module, will ask Garmin at the upcoming "mystery" presentation on April 1st...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

semka

20 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2010 :  18:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I agree about the lack of EcoRoute HD support with existing models. It would appear the the 2x5 and 7x5 series could support the EcoRoute HD as long as the device supports Bluetooth (no 755T support). Perhaps Garmin will release a firmware update for the older models in order to spur sales of the EcoRoute HD dongle. I for one would grab an EcoRoute HD if it becomes compatible with my 765T. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Just keep bugging Garmin about supporting ecoRoute HD on 765. If you don't, they wouldn't know that there is a demand for it. Sometimes they listen...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2010 :  01:01:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it can't hurt ;-) As for the "mystery" presentation on April 1st...is was for the new Forerunner 110 and the Garmin "car guys" weren't around, it will have to wait until May 6th when they have the PND presentation...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05