Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2791

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Magellan Roadmate and Maestro AIOs
 Maestro 4250 brick fix - see my post page 4 first!
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2010 :  07:20:44  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mrcable47, thanks for the writeup, and for anyone trying this remember his words:

WARNING DO NOT RUN THE "UPDATE BOOTLOADER" or the "Update Bootloader (Erase Flash)" or the "UpDate OS (Erase HDD)" this will leave you with gps that isnt good for much unless you run a bootleg OS on it, which Skunk is working on a 3rd party OS for these now.

IF you do, or did that by accident, and ended up with the white screen on startup, I will direct you on getting a new (MP w/2009 map iGO8) installed on your 4250's flash drive.
Go to Top of Page

ibuyufo

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2010 :  07:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so if someone where to do that and we put igo8 in the flash drive does the flash drive needs to stay in the gps or can this be copied to the gps itself?
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2010 :  08:12:09  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, the flash drive stays in the unit, its all done over an SD card and USB connection.
Go to Top of Page

ibuyufo

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2010 :  08:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Skunk, I tried again and it did not work. It's still stuck on the loading screen. I cannot copy any files or pretty much do anything with it. Could you please post instructions on how I can get the GPS software that you're using into the maestro 4250? Thanks.

Edited by - ibuyufo on 13 janv. 2010 08:48:57
Go to Top of Page

DoDoubleGeo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2010 :  16:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ johnnycakes and @ mrcable47

Why is it necessary to edit those two XML files when your procedure does not even include the usage of "softbutton.exe"? While I don't have this model of GPS, it just seems that you really only need to use the renamed FileManCE to bypass the normal device startup.

Magellan XOver 2500T (NA)
Go to Top of Page

ronbo85

68 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2010 :  00:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question, 1st like you say you don't have this model and 2nd they are not using soft button...different worlds

quote:
Originally posted by DoDoubleGeo

@ johnnycakes and @ mrcable47

Why is it necessary to edit those two XML files when your procedure does not even include the usage of "softbutton.exe"? While I don't have this model of GPS, it just seems that you really only need to use the renamed FileManCE to bypass the normal device startup.

Magellan Maestro 4250 with Miopocket R64 SD Free Unlock
Go to Top of Page

mrcable47

10 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2010 :  04:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DoDoubleGeo,
Like I stated, I didn't write this fix JohnnyCake did, I just re-wrote the full steps of what JohnnyCake & Skunk did. So I don't Know why these files need to be changed, I just know it works. I have now unbricked 3 Magellan 4250's and are all running the Magellan software.

This method is to unbrick and run original Magellan firmware.

Skunk will have directions for running 3rd party firmware soon.
Go to Top of Page

mrcable47

10 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2010 :  04:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Skunk,
I am really interested in your custom OS, I still have the very first 4250 that I messed up the bootloader on that would be great to run it on.
Thanks in advance for your hard work!

Go to Top of Page

ibuyufo

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2010 :  05:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I'm in possession of 2 messed up 4250. The first one had a messed up screen and I tried to update the firmware and that messed up. The 2nd 4250 I purchased off of ebay to fix the screen of the 1st one. This one doesn't have the serial number. Now I'm stuck with no working GPS. Isn't life grand? hehe Laughter of sadness.
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2010 :  08:50:56  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mrcable47: its not exactlly custom OS all the parts are on the net, but I just put em together differently, up to date (maps and such) and all on the flash drive for ease of use. ronbo85 was a big help in all this too, so he definitly deserves his share of credit. Also JohnnyCake, although I did erace my S/N with his method (I was aware I would) I learned alot, and very happy with my current setup.

ibuyufo: if you get one working, even if it doesnt have factory nav or S/N you can get my setup to work on it, only thing is that its a large file (1.75 gig) to be written directlly to the flash drive, you will need to get it up to able to connect to usb and transfer the files directlly to the flash drive.... any ideas on how to xfer the files? I got webspace but it would take a god awful long time.

your both, or for that matter, anyone is welcome to use my setup, we just have to find a way to transfer it.
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2010 :  08:59:23  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just checked my web host, and I have unlimited transfer volume, so I will .rar the file tomorrow and upload it, I will let you all know when its up and post the link.

warning: D/L speeds may be slow, Ill tell ya now just so you know.
Go to Top of Page

ibuyufo

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2010 :  09:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for doing all this Skunk. I just found out that the 4250 that has the messed up screen still has the serial number but all the software in the hard drive is gone.
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2010 :  21:57:46  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ibuyufo

Thanks for doing all this Skunk. I just found out that the 4250 that has the messed up screen still has the serial number but all the software in the hard drive is gone.

how are you sure it has the s/n still on it if the software is gone? usually it takes turning the unit on till the nav program actually starts (and you dont get an error msg) to tell if the s/n is definitly there, or going into the menu/info and seeing the s/n in the list where the firmware version is.
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2010 :  04:35:54  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, got it uploaded, now, if you know for a fact that you have the s/n in your unit still, you will have a space issue if you plan on using the OEM nav. as this setup contains all states maps, buildings, and POI files, which only leaves about 73mb free on the flash drive, I could work it a different way so that one or the other would be on an SD card, the OEM map file is quite large as well.

for starters, if you have USB access, download the following file, un-rar it to your computers HDD, with your unit hooked up to your PC, format the flash drive to fat32 eracing all info, the copy all files contained in the .rar file to the root of your GPS, restart, it will install and your good to go. one thing I found is that if you unplug the USB cable while the unit is on it may reinstall, so turn it off b4 unplugging it.

link: http://www.offroadnuts.com/GPSbackup.rar

DISCLAIMER: USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, I tried this 3 times from scratch and it worked the same way everytime, I assume NO responsibility for damage to your unit using my setup, I will try to help as much as I can to get you up and running, but I have serious medical issues and sometimes I may not be available to help.

ibuyufo: since I dont have a unit with a valid s/n on it I would be doing some guess work, but if you download the 4.86 firmware, extract all the files and take the contents from 'COPY_GROUP_2' and overwrite the files to the \APP folder *DO NOT OVERWRITE Startup.xml or Unit.xml* Then copy Navigator.exe from COPY_GROUP_1 and overwrite it to the \APP folder. That SHOULD work, as I said, I dont have a unit to test that on but if it doesnt work it wont do damage, it just wont work right, let me know and we'll go from there.

Any questions feel free to ask and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

One other thing, Please, if you have webspace, upload the GPSbackup.rar on it and post the link here so we can get some mirrors going, and it would speed up the sharing process.
Go to Top of Page

mrcable47

10 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2010 :  02:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You Da Man Skunk, This looks awesome can't wait to try it on a road trip.
I'll look into seeing if I have some webspace to help mirror
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05