Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2791

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Magellan Roadmate and Maestro AIOs
 Maestro 4250 brick fix - see my post page 4 first!
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2009 :  03:52:04  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
***PLEASE SEE MY POST HALF WAY DOWN PAGE 4 FIRST FOR AN UPDATED AND DETAILED INSTRUCTION ON THE FIX, OTHERS MAY ERACE YOUR SERIAL NUMBER!

Edited by - skunk on 27 mars 2010 22:53:15

Ads

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2009 :  06:38:47  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
update, I can get to the bootloader screen, just dont know what to do with it, its lookin for OS image on the SD card, where do I get that?
Go to Top of Page

johnnycakes

4 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2009 :  08:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off I believe that if it formatted the HDD your original magellan app is permanently gone. You'll have use something like MioPocket or an other unlocker, but I'm very new to this.

Have you read over the troubleshooting / uninstalling parts of the MioPocket instructions? Check them out here if you heavn't already:
http://netfresco.com/MioPocket/MioPocket Readme.html

You can follow the below steps to get USB access back to your magellan, and reinstall MioPocket again or some other. My instructions most certainly will perminatly delete your original software and MioPocket if it's not gone already.

Get the latest update program for your Magellan, you can get it from their website. You're looking for Magellan_Maestro_4250_4_86_Rel1.zip. Extract that file. You'll get an self extracting .exe file of the same name. Extract that too. Open up the new folder "Magellan_Maestro_4250_4_86_Rel1". There's two files you'll need here, COPY_GROUP_4/GS499_BL_3.bin and COPY_GROUP_5/GS499_MX_3.bin.

Copy those two files to your SD card. Rename GS499_BL_3.bin to GS499_BL_3.nb0

Now get into your boot menu. You do this by holding down the power and reset buttons for several seconds, continue holding after the screen comes on until you see the boot menu.
First select "Update Bootloader (Erase Flash)"
once that finishes it says you can press reset to get back to the boot loader menu. Do so.
Select Information and power down the unit. Power back up and get into the boot loader menu again.
Now select "Update OS"

If you get error messages like crc check fail, go back to the files you downloaded and instead of grabbing the files that end 3.bin, take 1.bin. go through the above steps, then take the 2.bin files, repeat one more time with the 3.bin files again (renaming every time, rebooting, and everything). (Copying all 6 files at once won't get your anywhere because it will automatically use the 3.bin files.)

Now turn your unit off, and put the SD card back into your computer. From the MioPocket files:
MioPocket 3.0 Release 56\MioAutoRun\Programs\FileManCE2
copy the contents of that folder to your SD card.
Rename FileManCE.exe to ToCopy.exe

From the Magellan files downloaded first go to:
Magellan_Maestro_4250_4_86_Rel1\COPY_GROUP_2
and copy the following files into a folder call APP on your SD card:

mgnShell.exe
brightness.dat
ding.wav
Factory.xml
mgnSHApp.dll
mgnShell.pgf
mgnSHLocaleEng.dll
mgnSHTzList.dat
Startup.xml (you have to edit it)
TMScreen.dll
Unit.xml (you have to edit it)

As I noted you have to modify two XML files on the SD card with Wordpad.
1. insert the following into Unit.xml on line 27

<Application ID="222">
<FileName>softbutton.exe</FileName>
<Path>\HDD\MyApplications</Path>
<Bitmap>32x32x16.bmp</Bitmap>
</Application>

2. Replace the content of Startup.xml with:

<Shell>
<Application ID="222" />
</Shell>

Now stick the SD card back into you magellan and turn it on. You should get a loading screen, and after about 10 or 12 seconds the FileManCE2 program. Use it to copy the APP folder into the folder called HDD, so HDD\APP.

Now you can turn the unit off, take out your SD card and the unit should boot into a bare bones base of the magellan software allowing you USB access to it from your computer. MioPocket will install again from the SD card at this stage too.

Let me know if you have any issues, I tried my best to make sure I put everything in here, but I might have forgotten something. I have modified some of these instructions from user tskitishvili on the rom cooking post. Thanks for your work.
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2009 :  23:12:59  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for the help, I dont want to run mio pocket, just the stock magellan software, what do I have to do different?

also, after doing this I should only need the map files, or complete map update files correct?

Edited by - skunk on 24 déc. 2009 23:14:42
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2009 :  02:41:31  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, got it workin... sorta... I tried to install the 4.86 update but I get an error message on my pc "no magellan maestro 4250 found", so now what? how do I get the magellan nav software back into it?
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2009 :  00:44:28  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
couple questions, in your post you said to

"From the MioPocket files:
copy the contents of that folder to your SD card.
Rename FileManCE.exe to ToCopy.exe"

was I suppose to keep it in the folder or all separate files to root of SD card? because later in your post you said to take the SD card out and Ill have a bare bones magellan program, and mio pocket should install from the SD card too at that time, but it doesnt, it just puts be back to the file manager with the SD card in.
Go to Top of Page

mrcable47

10 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2010 :  02:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I myself have one of the messed up Magellan 4250's.
I got it off of Ebay, it would boot to the Magellan screen status bar goes to 100% and just sit there. It couldn't be seen on the computer through USB. I found a forum that gave instructions on how to get a basis OS and USB, but after the computer would see the 4250 but the Magellan update says no 4250 found.

So figuring I had nothing to lose I hooked up my roadmate 1440 to the computer and made an image of its HDD to a folder then copied the files from that folder to the 4250's HDD. After restating the 4250 it booted to the 1440's OS and tried to start up, but not being a 1440 it would just restart and try again and again.

Now I'm thinking if anyone was a working 4250 and would be willing to make a copy of their HHD maybe we could use that to get ours working again by copying that image to our HDD
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2010 :  02:39:58  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
problem being is that the serial number is hidden in the 4250 somewhere, this is the answer to all the issues, if this file is found and able to be manipulated, were all good, without it, miopocket with other nav apps are the way to go, if you didnt format the HDD you MAY have the serial number still on the unit, try d/l'ing this file

http://rapidshare.com/files/275257514/Mag4250.zip.html

then:
Get the latest update program for your Magellan, you can get it from their website. You're looking for Magellan_Maestro_4250_4_86_Rel1.zip. Extract that file. You'll get an self extracting .exe file of the same name. Extract that too. Open up the new folder "Magellan_Maestro_4250_4_86_Rel1". There's two files you'll need here, COPY_GROUP_4/GS499_BL_3.bin and COPY_GROUP_5/GS499_MX_3.bin.

Copy those two files to your SD card. Rename GS499_BL_3.bin to GS499_BL_3.nb0

Now get into your boot menu. You do this by holding down the power and reset buttons for several seconds, continue holding after the screen comes on until you see the boot menu.
First select "Update OS"
once that finishes it says you can press reset to get back to the boot loader menu. Do so.
Select Information and power down the unit. Power back up and get into the boot loader menu again.
Now select "Update OS"

If you get error messages like crc check fail, go back to the files you downloaded and instead of grabbing the files that end 3.bin, take 1.bin. go through the above steps, then take the 2.bin files, repeat one more time with the 3.bin files again (renaming every time, rebooting, and everything). (Copying all 6 files at once won't get your anywhere because it will automatically use the 3.bin files.)

and copy the following files into a folder call APP on your SD card:

mgnShell.exe
brightness.dat
ding.wav
Factory.xml
mgnSHApp.dll
mgnShell.pgf
mgnSHLocaleEng.dll
mgnSHTzList.dat
TMScreen.dll

As I noted you have to modify two XML files on the SD card with Wordpad.
1. insert the following into Unit.xml on line 27

<Application ID="222">
</Application>

<Shell>
<Application ID="222" />
</Shell>

Now stick the SD card back into you magellan and turn it on. You should get a loading screen, and after about 10 or 12 seconds the FileManCE2 program. Use it to copy the APP folder into the folder called HDD, so HDD\APP.

Now you can turn the unit off, take out your SD card and the unit should boot into a bare bones base of the magellan software allowing you USB access to it from your computer.

Now copy the contents of the previously downloaded file via usb to the flash drive of the 4250 overwritting previous files. All files you need are there (thanx to ronbo85), If you get an error message stating "this navigator is not compatable with this unit, your screwed and need to go with another nav app w/miopocket
if you get that going you will need the maps, those, I have, Ill U/L them if needed.

*instructions based on info from johnnycakes, modified by me*

let me know how you make out.

Edited by - skunk on 04 janv. 2010 02:46:42
Go to Top of Page

mrcable47

10 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2010 :  18:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Skunk thanks for the help.
I did notice after I followed Johnnycakes instructions that under the settings that tells model# firmware ver and that stuff, the S/N was blank. Would this be the same S/N thats on the back of the unit?

Anyways, I followed your instructions and got the "This Navigator is not compatible with this unit" error. What Nav software and Mio do you suggest for the 4250? Will I get all the functions that this unit is supposed to have?
Go to Top of Page

mrcable47

10 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2010 :  22:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is only speculation but I think if you have a Magellan 4250 that goes to the Magellan screen with the process bar that runs all the way from left to right then freezes you should follow all the steps posted here EXCEPT the "Update Bootloader (Erase Flash)" step.

I'm taking a wild guess that this is what loses your S/N and without that, like Skunk says, you're screwed.

After I followed all the steps outlined in Johnnycakes post I went from having a 4250 that showed the Magellan screen with the process bar to one that shows a white screen with the process bar, that does go to a setup screen, and no longer has a S/N.

Like I said this is just a guess, this is my first time trying to repair one, I am not an expert, but I would be interested to see if it works for someone.
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2010 :  01:40:32  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you are correct, this is why I left the "Update Bootloader (Erase Flash)" out of my instructions, he did put "My instructions most certainly will perminatly delete your original software" and he was right. Im working on mine now, when I get it 100% stable and running perfect, I will post a link to my site page where there will be exact instructions and all files needed for download.
Go to Top of Page

mrcable47

10 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2010 :  04:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Thanks Skunk,
Are you using the original Magellan OS or another?
Go to Top of Page

ibuyufo

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2010 :  01:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has this worked for anyone?
Go to Top of Page

ibuyufo

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2010 :  08:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright I just tried to do what skunker said and it does not boot. I updated the OS part without any problems. Then copied the files to the APP directory in the SD card. Also copied FilemanCE2 folder into the root of SD drive. Change FileMan.exe to ToCopy.exe. Anyone see anything wrong that I'm doing?
Go to Top of Page

skunk

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2010 :  21:41:14  Show Profile  Visit skunk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sorry for the delay, I just got up and cant think yet, but I DID get it working... not the magellan stuff but MP with iGO8 as my primary GPS, in my opinion iGO out performes the 4250's original GPS software, more accurate, more features. only issue Im working on now is getting bluetooth and traffic working, other then that, its tested and working great, all maps and everything on the units flash drive no SD needed now.

ibuyufo: Let me look into that, because it did work on my 4250 but I just left out MP to start with, and ended up with a very RAW magellan to start experimenting with.
Go to Top of Page

mrcable47

10 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2010 :  06:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want to say, I did not make this fix, it was all Johnnycake and Skunk's fix, I just rewrote it to make it a little easier to understand, But This will repair a bricked 4250, I have done it on 2 sofar and both work great with the Magellan software.

Please read all the directions before starting, I will not be held responsible if you mess up your GPS, But if its already bricked "What the Heck" lets get Started

These Directions will only work on the Magellan 4250 that shows the Magellan splash screen and process bar that loads from left to right and then freezes, plus it can not be seen when pluged into your computer with a USB cable.

If you turn on your GPS and get anything other then what i just said (exp. You get a blank white screen and the process bar), your bootloader is bad, and this will not help you.

You can follow the below steps to get USB access back to your Magellan Maestro 4250, and unbrick the unit.

What you need: Your bricked Magellan4250 with a full charge, a USB cable to go from your computer to your GPS, at lest 2 gig SD card, and a Card Reader.

Download the latest update program for your Magellan, you can get it from their website. You're looking for Magellan_Maestro_4250_4_86_Rel1.zip. Extract that file. You'll get an self extracting .exe file of the same name. Extract that too. Open up the new folder "Magellan_Maestro_4250_4_86_Rel1". There are two files you'll need here, COPY_GROUP_4/GS499_BL_3.bin and COPY_GROUP_5/GS499_MX_3.bin.

Insert your SD card into your card reader and Copy those two files to your SD card. Rename GS499_BL_3.bin to GS499_BL_3.nb0
Take your SD card out of computer and Insert it into the GPS
Next select "Update OS" You select by pushing the reset button with a pin, each push move the Selection down one, Then push the power button to execute the operation selected.

WARNING DO NOT RUN THE "UPDATE BOOTLOADER" or the "Update Bootloader (Erase Flash)" or the "UpDate OS (Erase HDD)" this will leave you with gps that isnt good for much unless you run a bootleg OS on it, which Skunk is working on a 3rd party OS for these now.

Next turn your unit off, and put the SD card back into your computer and format it.
Download MioPocket 3.0 from the internet.
From the MioPocket files:
copy the contents of that folder to the root of your SD card.
Rename FileManCE.exe to ToCopy.exe

Create a new folder on the root of the SD card and name it APP.
Copy the following files into the folder you just made call APP

mgnShell.exe
brightness.dat
ding.wav
Factory.xml
mgnSHApp.dll
mgnShell.pgf
mgnSHLocaleEng.dll
mgnSHTzList.dat
TMScreen.dll

As I noted you have to modify two XML files on the SD card with Wordpad. right click on file and choose OPEN WITH: and choose Wordpad
1. insert the following into Unit.xml on line 27 (count the lines of code starting from top)

<Application ID="222">
</Application>

<Shell>
<Application ID="222" />
</Shell>

Now stick the SD card back into you Magellan and turn it on. You should get a loading screen, and after about 10 or 12 seconds the FileManCE2 program. Use it to copy the APP folder into the folder called HDD, so HDD\APP.
To do this I found it easyer to use a toothpick to press my selections on the screen.

In the FileManCE2 program touch "SDMMC" twice to open it ,(some times it takes more the 2 touches to get this open) This is your SD card.
Touch "APP" folder to highlight it (Only highlight it, do not open it) then touch "Edit" at top and touch "Copy"

Now touch twice where it has only "..." to get you back to the first page and Touch "HDD" twice to get to the hard drive page, then Touch "Edit" and touch "Paste" Touch ALL when you are asked to overwrite, It will take a little bit but you should see the screen flicker, this means its done copying the file, if you miss the flicker, you should wait 5 mins before proceding, this will give it enough time to copy.

Now you can turn the unit off, take out your SD card and turn the unit back on, And plug back in the USB cable, you should now have a Magellan OS that will let your computer see your 4250. You Should see a drive named TFAT that is your GPS.

Now Download http://rapidshare.com/files/275257514/Mag4250.zip.html extract the files to a folder on your desktop. Then copy all the files from that folder to your 4250 ( drive TFAT ), click YES to overwrite files when asked.

You can now unplug the GPS from the computer, this will cause a reboot of the GPS and it should let you all the way into the Magellan menus.

Now run the Magellan_Maestro_4250_4_86_Rel1. self extracting.exe file you downloaded and extracted earlier, and follow directions to update to the lastest firmware. DO NOT PLUG THE GPS INTO THE COMPUTER TILL THE UPDATE SAYS TO.

YOURE DONE! and your Magellan 4250 should be running like new

I can not take credit for this Fix, but I know it does work.
It was created by Jonnycakes and edited by Skunk and myself
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05