Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2318

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] Magellan Roadmate for iPhone + Car Kit
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ronss

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2010 :  18:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Magellan car kit just arrived. Gonna go "take it for a spin" and will report back later
Go to Top of Page

ronss

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2010 :  12:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Initial observations (from driving around for about 45 minutes): 1. the signal strength is, indeed, better; 2. it does accomodate skins and cases (I use the Seidio Innocase) without any problem; 3. the speaker volume is too faint, even with the volume turned up (road noise made it nest to impossible to hear the person with whom I was speaking); 4. the mapping is still not very smooth (somewhat jerky and jumpy); 5. speedometer is still way off (reads 2 or 4 mph even when I'm going 45 mph), although sometimes it's accurate when I turn a corner and then becomes inaccurate again.

Taking it on a longer trip later today (Detroit suburbs up to Ann Arbor) and back; will report back after that.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2010 :  15:27:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update.

Too bad about the faint speaker, probably doesn't help it's oriented towards the bottom, are they maybe just amplifying the sound of the internal speaker ? The one on the TomTom seems very loud when you're idle, but when you drive it could be louder.

About the speed, I wouldn't worry about a 2/4mph difference, most car speedometers overestimate the speed a bit to keep you on the right side of speed limits, while the GPS shows the actual speed, if that's the way your difference is going. You could try a free utility like GPSies to monitor the speed directly.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2010 :  16:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the speaker facing down? Does it sound better if you have the speaker facing left towards the drivers side.
Go to Top of Page

ronss

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2010 :  18:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys:
1. the speaker isn't face down; it is mounted on the windshield with the unit facing me (although I spoke w Pro Clip USA and they are actively constructing mounts for both the Magellan car kit and the Tom Tom car kit, which will bring the unit closer to the driver (ie, on the vent).
2. GPSPassion: The unit isn't 2 to 4 mph off on the speedometer; rather the speedometer on the Magellan GPS software shows that I am only travelling at either 2 mph or 4 mph, when in fact I'm going 40 mph or 45 mph. It's a significant difference.
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2010 :  19:35:18  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Would be interesting to know if this mount, like TomTom's, works with other than Magellan Nav software. There must be some free/demo GPS app that can be used to check.

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA

Edited by - klopus on 09 janv. 2010 19:36:02
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2010 :  19:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not aware of any, but shouldn't make any difference ... the mount serves as an alternate GPS source, and in effect overrides the iPhone GPS providing location services info to satnav apps. as far as i can tell, works w/ all apps using location services incl navigation.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2010 :  02:12:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well there are dozens if not hundreds of free GPS enabled apps that can be used to verify that but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

@ronss - any chance you could take some pictures and share them with this method ? It seemed on the video that caryrae linked the other day that the speaker was face down.

I understand your concern about the speed now, it's not the speed difference but the actual speed, definitely something wrong!

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

RVGPSVA

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2010 :  00:23:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been used Magellan RoadMate with my Itouch for couple months and recently purchased Iphone 3Gs for about a week. Found the UI is good and One-Touch feature is the best, but the Avoid U-Turn doesn't work. Routing in some routes are terrible, for example: from Northern Virginia to Toronto Zoo, Ca. it double the mileages(1,040 miles) compare to the Motion X(585 miles) or Destinator 9(556 miles). It route me up to HWY 81, 88 Albany then crossing border to Quebec 53 to 15 then 20. I can not 100% rely on this App specially when I am unfamiliar places.
Go to Top of Page

Rick762

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2010 :  16:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by klopus

Would be interesting to know if this mount, like TomTom's, works with other than Magellan Nav software. There must be some free/demo GPS app that can be used to check.

I am using the Magellan mount with CoPilot Live primarily but I also have G Maps (not Google Maps) and it works fine with both of them. I find the volume quite good myself but I will qualify that by saying that I do have it turned up to full for highway speeds and I don't use the Bluetooth function myself.

I already have Bluetooth connected via my JVC head unit so I use this instead. Also, I can plug a 3.5 mm cord into my head unit and listen to music as well as the navigation audio prompts through my stereo.

Road Warrior

Edited by - Rick762 on 24 mai 2010 16:10:15
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2010 :  20:15:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't be a problem with it's flexible design, but can someone confirm that the Magellan Car Kit is fully iPhone 4 compatible (the TomTom Car Kit works but you need to prop up the iPhone with a piece of paper!) ?

Go to Top of Page

Rick762

Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2010 :  21:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Magellan Car Kit is fully compatible with the new iPhone. It's just a matter of removing the support block, rotating it 180 degrees and putting it back in. This takes up the thickness difference between the 3G/3GS and the 4. Also, when seating the iPhone into the bottom connector, you must push firmly down on it to avoid getting the, "this accessory is not compatible...."

Hope this helps.

Road Warrior
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2010 :  21:32:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for confirming, too bad Magellan weren't able to plan ahead with their ToughCase too.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2010 :  01:51:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The Magellan Car Kit is now being "reborn" in Europe as the Mio Technology Car Kit in Europe, makes sense since Magellan are (sadly) gone from that market. Mio clearly state "The cradle is compatible with most GPS navigation and location based apps: TomTom, Motion X, Navigon, Sygic Mobile Maps, Sygic AURA, iGo and NDrive" but one merchant site at least lists it as being incompatible with TomTom Navigator,which doesn't make much sense to me based on how GPS works on the iPhone, but has anyone had problems with the Kit and TomTom ?

Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  00:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New 2.0 update. New UI looks pretty good

What's New in Version 2.0

Please note: Save your OneTouch favorites BEFORE updating! Visit the FAQ section under Support on Magellangps.com for further instructions.

Yelp! Integration*
• Integrated within the RoadMate app and opens a whole new world of restaurants, entertainment, shopping, and more for you – connect with old favorites or explore new ones.
• Easily search for venues and destinations, browse user ratings, and decide where to go and route to it, all from within the app.

Google Local Search*
• Find out where you’d like to go using real-time Google Local search. Then route to your searched location with a tap of the GO button.

New User Interface
• Designed for when you’re on-the-road – a collapsible dashboard creates a generous screen size making it easy for you to view while routing.
• Plus, personalize your dashboard icons and view your arrival time, distance, and speed all at once.

Includes Lifetime Maps^
• Roads change more often than you realize. Get on board with the latest available maps so that you will always be up-to-date.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05