Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on Google Android - gps4android.com
 [TOPIC] Google Maps Navigation - Reviews - v6.11.1
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2009 :  04:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOOGLE MAPS NAVIGATION - v6.8.0

Updated June 28th, 2012 : just a year after map caching was added to the "Google Labs" options, it has now been expanded (10 to 60 miles) and appears as a "normal" feature.
Updated July 6th, 2011 : version 5.7.0 now available with a brand new "hidden" feature, map downloading for offline use, more details on page 8.
Updated April 2011 : version 5.3.1 now available.
Updated March 7th, 2011 : version 5.2.1 available in the market. New features include adding ratings and pinging lattitude friends so that they check in, more details on page 7.
Updated February 3rd, 2011 : version 5.1 now available in the market, adds "check-in" feature to Lattitude, new map orientation mode using the compass available too.
Updated December 10th, 2010 : Google have announced v5 of Google Maps Navigation with some significant changes such as local caching of maps and 3D Buildings, more details on page 5.

Updated 11/2010 : New v4.7.0 version available, more tweaks.
Updated 10/2010 : New v4.5.1 version available with some tweaks.
Updated 09/2010 : GMN updated to v4.5 with a new pedestrian mode, see details in page 3.

Updated 06/2010 : GMN updated to v4.2 and now available in Europe, see details on page 3.
Posted 10/2009

- Oops, Google have done it again...the announcement of Google Maps Navigation (beta) while not entirely unexpected, sent the stocks of the GPS players tumbling down 20% today. Is this an overraction?

While the market is always right and Google have clearly spoilt us with great apps over the years, we should keep in mind that this is an "off-board" application with all the data stored on a remove server, not locally like on an AIO, so 3G (or even 3G+/HSDPA) will be required for the data rich content. Also only the Android platform is getting it for now and it's limited to the USA.

EDIT BY GPSPASSION 20091029
Original message : Google maps went rogue today by putting their own maps online replete with a 'report a problem' link for users to request map corrections.

I have no doubt Google has tied gps traces from gmaps mobile users to the mapping along with every public mapping source available to update these faster and more accurately than Navteq or TA.

In the past when there was discussion of why gmaps mobile did not provide free turn by turn routing functions the answer was the cost to get 'routing' maps. Well thats been eliminated and I expect before years end a free routing with traffic avoidance will be part of the mobile mapping package.

Google has by far the best traffic intelligence backed by the most comprehensive data. If they make the maps as good as I believe they will this is a HUGE threat to TomTom, Garmin, Navteq and certainly will kill the $10 a month smartphone add ons in quick fashion.

How long before a connected gps device is available using free Google info and routing?

This is a double blow to TT because as GatorGuy stated in another forum they will be losing considerable income in addition to dealing with a new competitor.

[Former title : Google Maps Navigation - Threat to GPS industry ?]

Edited by - offthegrid on 09 oct. 2009 04:02:17

Ads

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2009 :  17:16:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting news, yes that will not help the "off-board" add-ons, but I'm not so sure about the threat to AIOs with "on-board" mapping and routing like the Garmin or TomTom units though, it's not just about the maps, there's the whole ecosystem around it. Besides Google have shown in the past they have no interest in providing hardware.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2009 :  18:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engadget has a post about this with a graph showing the stock market's initial reaction:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/the-game-has-changed/
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2009 :  19:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duplicate information deleted ...

Edited by - Enrique Muyshondt on 28 oct. 2009 19:32:45
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2009 :  02:43:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Might be some over reaction there, at this point it looks like a nice replacement for the buit-in "Maps" application of Android or...the iPhone, but it's off-board, so you're outside 3G coverage you can pretty much forget it.

An interesting video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2009 :  03:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they're rolling their own maps, why not offer an installation option to store the maps locally?

Of course, not all devices will have enough onboard storage but if the user is alerted, he can install a microSD card or whatever.

Interesting thing is when you search Google Maps for things, a lot of the pinned locations are user-created. Some of these might be of interest to some people.

It would encourage people to make public maps with locations of places they've personally visited, giving a more direct review.

Access to this kind of data could be useful sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2009 :  10:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The video is rather impressive. I just used my iPhone (Google) Map tonight and it couldn't catch up with my driving after a short while, resulting in a blank background (no more street maps shown). I hope this one won't have that problem. I'm not sure if it is the data network not stable during the route I drove, or something else. However, unstable network is likely the norm rather than an exception for many networks / places, so there is still no replacement for an on device navigation for the serious users (but I would prefer to have the enhanced features if data network is available of course, so a hybrid device would be best).

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid
Go to Top of Page

SwissFreek

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2009 :  12:57:31  Show Profile  Visit SwissFreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't remember which gadget site it was (I think Engadget, but maybe CrunchGear) that specifically asked the Google rep what happens if you lose cell service. The rep said that the phone caches the route so that if you lose service while you're navigating, it will continue to guide you, as long as you stay on the route, and that most users that were testing it never knew they had lost service. AT&T Navigator/VZNav/etc. all do the same thing. So at least there's that. Of course, if you are in a location with no service when you start trying to plan your route, then you are SOL. For me though, there have only been two times when I knew I couldn't just drive up to the top of the nearest hill or something to find at least one or two bars of service (one was in the deep woods of Alabama, the other was in West Virginia, and in both cases I hadn't seen a cell signal all weekend), so I'd say that the chances of that happening (for me anyway) are fairly rare. At worst I know that on occassion I may have to just drive a few more miles down the road to find a better signal.

What I really don't get is this obsession with street and satellite view. Maybe I'm old school, but I find it cluttered and disorienting to try and navigate with either. Street view has other cars on the map blocking views, and satellite view (again, for me) is very often badly outdated. In my hometown of Boston most of the roads are wrong since until a year or so ago they changed constantly thanks to the big dig, and where I live now in Maryland, the photography is at least a few years old because most of the construction in town is only a few years old and a significant portion of it hasn't been built yet when you look at the satellite view. I'm just saying, I'm perfectly happy with my old school map. I once heard a saying that "A smoke detector with no batteries is worse than no smoke detector at all." I'd prefer not having street view at all rather than having a street view that is out of date (which unless you're the United States Army is basically impossible to avoid). No information is better than disinformation.

SwissFreek
CoPilot Live 8 (iPhone) - Garmin GPSMap 60CSx - Garmin Mobile PC v5

Edited by - SwissFreek on 29 oct. 2009 13:10:27
Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2009 :  17:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe from what I have read in Google support forums is that it'll cache a map 'sector'. I'm thinking thats more than just the route as in maybe a region or part of a region but there should soon be confirmation on capabilities. I expect that the upgrades to features will be fast and furious leaving competition in the wake.

While it has traffic and a way to show traffic on a route there is no mention of whether the route time is based on current traffic conditions. Advantage pnd. It also allows alternate routes to be manually chosen but no mention of whether the routes are optimized for traffic. Advantage pnd. Verizon's network does not handle simultaneous voice and data so an incoming call will cut the data link sending the gps into cache mode and it will still sound out directions unless cut off during the call. No mention of what the screen does specifically but it sounds like the screen goes to call mode. Advantage pnd.

I expect that these issues will be addressed though and in a few months maybe a year,

In a an interview on CNET google stated that they would consider porting to a connected gps.

I'm wondering if it will be possible to use the app on the coming Android netbooks. Those are pretty small but quite a bit larger than a Droid phone and have more horsepower for a lot less money. If someone has a data plan and can tether to a netbook running android this would be a nice reason to go that route. About $300 for a netbook running Android although they are just starting to roll them out.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2009 :  17:32:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, "off-road" GPS navigation is not new and the old Webraska software also did some "corridor cutting", but if you lost your way and had no connectivity you were SOL. Also the Google app is great because of the rich data it has access to (Street View and Satellite Map - whether it's useful as SwissFreek points out is another question) and that would clearly could not be cached due to the data constraints.

An interesting snippet here on the Washington Post : Why Google Didn't Kill the Standalone GPS ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2009 :  20:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin has stated that their next-generation nuvifone (currently in development) will be an Android phone. Given Google's announcement of their free navigation app for Android, I wonder what this will do to the nuvifone development?
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2009 :  20:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Droid will likely be my next phone since I'm already w/ VZ. Looking forward to trying this out. I pretty much always have 3G coverage throughout my travels in my state, which is where I spend 95% of my time, so I'm not too worried about having no offline data.

Motorola Droid: Google Maps Navigation, CoPilot Live USA
Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2009 :  21:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you want to take it overseas.

Oh well, since VZW and Google are making a big deal of this, I'm sure there will be an Android LTE phone at the first opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2009 :  23:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not ready to go to off-board navigation, but wouldn't mind the iPhone Maps application replaced by this. I travel internationally a lot and downloading maps is prohibitively expensive. I could plan a route while I have WiFi access, but I wouldn't want to risk having to go off-route and not having the information I need.

I think AIOs still have a life and this app will not kill them, at least for now. Now AT&T Navigator and the like - those are goners once this app is widespread.
Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2009 :  00:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you plan routes?

Or does the starting point have to start with your current location?

The best thing would be if you could plan routes on a computer, in Google Maps, and then export those routes to the Google Maps Navigation App. somehow. Would be easier to scope out the whole route on a computer with a bigger screen and then once you verify the route looks good, export it and the mobile app. would use that route instead of calculating its own.
Go to Top of Page

wrainey

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2009 :  19:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting speculative piece on the implications of Google's 'free' maps release:
http://abovethecrowd.com/2009/10/29/google-redefines-disruption-the-“less-than-free”-business-model/
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2009 :  19:41:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent stuff ! Here is a fixed link : http://tinyurl.com/yadpxzy

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2009 :  13:14:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An interesting summary here : http://www.theweek.com/article/index/102608/Droid_vs_GPS_makers

Go to Top of Page

mitchellgibbs

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10 nov. 2009 :  12:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've gotten my Droid with Android 2.0 and Google Navigation.

I haven't made heavy use of it yet but it is a pretty effective first go. It seems to be missing some key features we look for (e.g. multi-stop routing) and brings a few new things to the game (e.g. use of street view). The voice guidance is a bit annoying - it isn't as configurable as some GPSs and it talks a bit more than it should. The voice is passable, not nearly as nice as my Garmin. It hasn't yet tried to kill me by guiding me the wrong way down streets like it has most of the reviewers.

The killer usage, so far, for me is the voice recognition. It is simply stunning. The accuracy is unnerving. It has mis-interpreted a few words, but it gets 99%+ right. I also love the search speed and ability to use context searches (e.g. Navigate to the museum with the pirate exhibit - which is <or was until recently> the Field Museum here in Chicago).

The car dock is a slight disappointment. Physically, it is okay. And I like the fact that it senses when it is in the dock and changes its behaviour. However, it would be nice if it integrated the charger so I could run the wire in my car more easily. Seems like a silly design choice seeing as they did so in the desk dock. Hopefully others will come up with something a little better. (I also wouldn't mind some sort of integration for the audio line).

I'm not ready to ditch my Garmin, but this truly is a game changer. Once Google improves the actual routing engine, it will be tough to see the other folks keeping up.

Mitch
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2009 :  15:33:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear it adds some new effective features, the vocal Google like search is certainly interesting. How is the traffic data and handling ? What data speeds do you get in your area ? With 3G here the standard Google maps app on my iPhone can barely keep up.

Also of interest, a "non gps oriented" review of the "Droid" here.

Go to Top of Page

robl

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2009 :  01:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the google based devices dependent on mobile data services being available ? In the case of Australia where I live there is no mobile data coverage available in most of the country.

Go to Top of Page

mitchellgibbs

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2009 :  13:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robl - Yes, data services is required for the Google Navigation to function. Here in Chicago, I get solid connections pretty much everywhere. It is my understanding that the phone caches the route so that navigation won't stop if you lose your data connection - at least until the route is complete. However, you can't start a new route if you don't have data.

I took both my Droid and my Garmin 1690 out for a drive into downtown Chicago last week. They both came up with different routes, but both were equally valid. The biggest difference between the two was the traffic data. Traffic was particularly heavy and my trip which would, without traffic, take about 25 minutes was closer to 1.25 hours. Google Navigation was about 15 minutes optimistic, but otherwise did a nice job. The Garmin was living in a dream world and insisted, the entire way, that there was an 8-10 minute delay. To add insult to injury, at one point when I was flying along at 3 miles per hour, it asked if I wanted to switch to pedestrian mode. Cheeky!

I was pleasantly surprised at the Droid's ability to keep the GPS signal - especially once I got into downtown. The Garmin does a better job than most systems that I've had and the Droid pretty much matched.

I'm planning to use both GPSs again this coming weekend for a 10 hour round-trip drive which should give some better information.

Mitch
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 nov. 2009 :  17:25:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear that you got some traffic information and shame on your 1690 for reminding you you were crawling along ;-) If you're still talking to your 1690 feel free to let us know how to like it in its topic here :http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=128769 ;-)

Caching will indeed work if you lose coverage and stay on your course, I wonder what GMN caches though, only the "map" most likely, not the fancy satellite or streetview ?

Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2009 :  06:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have the Droid. Have had it for about 2 weeks now. Google Maps Nav is definitely the killer app for the phone, and it is quite impressive. It definitely needs some work, though (it is technically still in beta). I would say it has the potential to be a game changer, but is not there yet. Google still has quite a bit of work to do to raise their map data to the navigational accuracy of Navteq. Knowing Google, they will get there eventually, and they may end up having something that is truly disruptive to the industry.

There are still some very basic GPS nav features that GMN needs to be taken seriously. Currently there is no ETA, no live speed, no GPS sat info. Most ridiculous is that you cannot just fire up the Nav program just to have running in free roam mode while you're driving. You have to have a destination selected, even if you don't need one. This glaring omission is already driving me nuts.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2009 :  11:12:58  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing. That's a pretty big omission indeed but easily fixable...provided they don't want to change the way we use our GPS systems ;-) What would be more difficult to fix is routing problems as they can be due to missing map attributes and/or faulty algorithms, no issue there it seems ?

Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2009 :  13:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't had any major routing issues personally, but there have been users reporting that GMN has been trying to route them the wrong way down 1-way streets, which would correlate to missing map attributes. The routing algorithm, in general, seems pretty solid, though. It's the same that you're going to get on Google Maps on the web, afterall. And it is fast to calc, and fast to re-route. Another problem some people have been reporting is that GMN is putting the final destination point behind the given property, instead of at the streetfront where it should be. This has happened to me once already. I just ignored it, but it could be annoying if it happens frequently. I believe the reason for this might be due to areas where Google has parcel data (actual property lines) and has picked the center of the property as the address point, thus GMN tries to get you closest to that address point, which might not be on the correct street.

Go to Top of Page

raven2000

72 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2009 :  22:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using this in Australia on my G1 and I have to say I am very impressed.

+ Satellite view
+ Street View

- Not quite fluid as iGO 8
- No Multi-Destination routing

gpspassion - If you Android device you should give this a try!
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2009 :  07:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the Google Maps Nav info ... so what's the early verdict?

Sounds great with some unique, potentially game changing, feature but missing some basic satnav capabilities ... what is the estimation of cleaning up the map detail, nav features, routing precision, and handling long haul trips w/ spotty coverage? also, if they are using the same traffic as Maps on iPhone, i haven't been impressed by the accuracy - 'ball park' yes but not precise and especially inaccurate on surface roads ... are we 6 months away, 12 months, or a few years?

It has taken Garmin, TomTom and Magellan a long time to provide great solutions ... why should we think that Google can disrupt this industry w/ an annoucement of a beta solution. (although the impacts been felt)

In response to the theme of the thread ... and while it's fun to see the new kid on the block (believe me i like what i am seeing in beta), I kinda think we're a couple of years away from 'game changing' solution or 'threat to industry' from Google ... ?

devil's in the details ... and that's just begun for Google, yes? no?
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2009 :  00:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well since Google is allowing anyone to submit map error corrections, and they will reportedly make corrections within 30 days, they may start improving their map data rapidly. http://maps.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=98014 My office is incorrectly located on their maps - off by about 1/2 mile. I submitted an error correction (about a month ago), but it has yet to be changed. Of course the real problem is that the majority of Google maps users probably don't even realize they can submit map changes.

Routing precision has been pretty good for me. No major problems yet. Haven't had much of a chance yet to test the traffic accuracy. The traffic in my city is very predictable, and the traffic data in GMN tends to match; but I already know where the traffic is going to be, so I don't really bother w/ it. I expect the 1st time I take the Droid on a biz trip to Chicago I'll fully test the traffic data accuracy. I would already say, tho, that the granularity of the traffic data seems to be better than what I remember from using Garmin Mobile on my old WinMo phone.

As far as spotty 3G coverage goes, as long as you have your entire route planned ahead of time it's not an issue as GMN caches the entire route in memory. I've already taken 200+ mi trips w/ various 3G dead zones along the way, and it was never an issue during the trip. However, on one trip my destination lacked 3G coverage, so I needed to drive back to a known 3G area to route to a new destination. This is the achilles heel of GMN.

As I said awhile back, there are still basic features that GMN is missing....Night Mode, ETA, Speed display, Sat signal status, Mute button on-screen, etc. that Google needs to implement to be taken seriously.

Features like 'Layers' are very impressive, tho. I LOVE being able to search for anything while I'm navigating, e.g. 'cigars' or 'electronics stores', and a whole slew of places matching whatever it is you desire pop up before your eyes on the map, right along your route. I have always wanted that feature in a GPS navigator.

I don't think Google will ever truly be a real threat to the GPS industry - unless they allow map caching so that GMN can be used 'offline' (if they allow you to cache map data for an entire state or region). IF they do that...well, then yes I'd be selling your stocks in Garmin, TomTom, etc., because they will plummet (again).

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2010 :  07:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Google maps errors. In my area, they just got Street View a few months back. I think the driver who was in the car should be fired because he drove in lanes and the lanes were erroroneously listed as streets. I reported the errors immediately but they're still not corrected. Therefore, I must assume that Google has a lot of map errors even though they seem to be also using Tele Atlas maps at this time.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2010 :  23:29:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, they still use TeleAtlas in Canada, so you can't blame these errors on them ;-) My guess is that these errors come from aerial maps that were digitized and the person who did it assumed they were streets...

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2010 :  04:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL. It's pretty clear these were lanes. People reported seeing the Google car as well but none appeared in these pics:
Link: http://tinyurl.com/ybclumx

I was told the car that was spotted looked a lot like this one: http://www.chrisd.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/google-street-view-car-toronto.jpg

I guess you can't expect much from someone driving all day and getting paid a little bit more than minimum wage.

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 27 janv. 2010 04:31:26
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2010 :  11:09:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Again, Google wouldn't be involved at this point with what maps look like in Canada, but since we're discussing this, can you pinpoint an example of a "lane" shown as a "street" ? In the UK, "lanes" are just a type of street and are OK to drive on, apparently not so in Canada ?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 avr. 2010 :  11:10:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now available in the UK : http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2010/04/21/google_finally_brings_full_gps_to_android_users_in_uk

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2010 :  14:02:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now updated to v4.2 and available in 11 more European countries : http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/06/fun-on-autobahn-google-maps-navigation.html

Based on some first user feeback in France, there now appears to be an automatic night mode and possibly a new next turn preview.

Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2010 :  18:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So are those EUropean maps available to any Android user or do you have to have bought the phone in Europe?

How is GMN compared to other apps. in terms of accuracy and features? Is it so good that it will discourage GPS app. development for Android?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2010 :  18:32:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not great, see the previous page for detailed feedback by gman.

Go to Top of Page

nuvi350fan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  23:25:16  Show Profile  Visit nuvi350fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I compared garmin nuvi 350, iphone navigator and google navigaion here
http://amimu.blogspot.com/2010/07/navigationgarmin-nuvi-nexus-one-google.html
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2010 :  03:07:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A new update is available.

v4.5 adds a useful pedestrian mode and a new way of moving the "pegman" in StreetView : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ2_7bKlcvI&feature=player_embedded

I'm currently looking for a used Android phone to try out GMN, any suggestions on what the best model would be ?

Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2010 :  10:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GMN?

The Samsungs appear to be popular now.

Otherwise, there is the Milestone 2 I think which must have just come out over there?
Go to Top of Page

gemro311

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2010 :  17:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could ask that question on the following Smartphone BB: http://forum.xda-developers.com/.
I use the Eris from Verizon . The Samsung Fascinate from Verizon now uses Bing as the default navigation program .
There are people trying to sell their present ones on EBay and upgrade to the lastest and greatest. You just need one without a data plan . The Motorola Droid is also good.

Nuvi 3597LMTHD and HTC One M8
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2010 :  17:58:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, picked up the Motorola Milestone unlocked from Amazon, can't wait for it to arrive and to join in the fun of GPS on Android ;-)

Not familiar with "Bing Navigation", maybe you can tell us about it in the GPS on Android topic?

Back to GMN, have you tried the new v4.5 version?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2010 :  05:20:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well the Milestone came in and I was able to try out v4.5...from home mostly because the Milestone Amazon USA sell is in fact a European Milestone that only gets Edge speeds on US GSM networks and that's "torture" when you have to stream significant amounts of data. No AdHoc mode on Android means I can't use my iPad or iPhone as a wireless station...looks like a MiFi is in my near future !

Anyway I was quite impressed by v4.5, the new pedestrian mode is handy but, we always want more, a bicycle mode would be useful too. The new way to navigate around Street View by draggin the "pegman" directly to where you want to go also makes things much faster.

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 21 sept. 2010 :  02:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought they had added a bicycle mode back in 4.2, or at least it was announced.
http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/12/google-maps-42-adds-biking-navigation-features/

Haven't used that particular feature so I can't comment much on it.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 sept. 2010 :  03:04:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good catch, I need to look into the available layers to see if it activates a bicyle mode. As for my connectivity issues with the Milestone, I'm "fixing" them with a MiFi I have an order, I was using my iPad and my iPhone so far to share my 3G card, so a MiFi made sense...sort of ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2010 :  03:50:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MiFi came in, nice but a bit of a battery hog...

Anyway I did find the bicyle mode in Google Maps, however it is not (yet ?) available in Google Maps Navigation, that's too bad because as seen below I have a nice setup on my bike (car holder and recycled iPhone bike mount) :

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2010 :  07:33:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New v4.5.1 update available with some tweaks, only change I noticed so far is that there is an icon to view the route info just after planning a trip. That may not be new but I've also noticed that you now get ETA when you tap on the "time to destination" icon bottom right.

Here is a picture from the week-end, nice view in and out!

Go to Top of Page

Rgold

124 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2010 :  04:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Droid X and I can say that Google navigation is not ready for prime time. In some cases when you miss a highway exit it will ask to take the next exit and then it will route you back to the missed exit instead to calculate a new route. Looks like I'm going to keep my Tomtom for a while...

I know, Google Maps Nevigation is still in beta...

NUVI650, DROID X CoPilot Live
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2010 :  07:02:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As usual, specific examples would be helpful, could be a map problem. Can't say I've had that problem with GMN so far. Problems I've seen are pretty pessimistic ETAs and the odd positioning error of POIs (FernCreek Lodge in June Lake - properly located on my nuvi 3790 using Navteq maps. Google finds many POIs but in some cases they may have been geocoded and that doesn't work well in the "boonies", Navteq (or TeleAtlas) on the other hand use the actual position of POIs as seen during their surveys and or purchased from people who've surveyed them.

I lost the network completely yesterday while driving to and through Yosemite and while I no longer had satellite maps, the "standard" maps were sill there and guidance worked well...except if you change your plans of course.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2010 :  02:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Galaxy Tab?

7" better for nav?

My concern is data plan on Verizon. Unlimited on Droid phones for $30, but on Tab is only 3GB limit for $35, or 1GB for $20. How to know what is enough?

LG Optimus V BACKside ROM (CM7)

Edited by - toronado455 on 19 oct. 2010 02:49:07
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2010 :  02:49:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Big screens have pros and cons, but what's your question ?

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2010 :  10:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of using Galaxy Tab as GPS because the larger screen just seems better suited to GPS use that the typical smartphone screen size.

My question is that, unlike with a Droid phone which has unlimited data, with the new tiered data plans from Verizon for tablets, you need to choose which plan you are going to use. 1GB/$20 month is the cheapest one. I'm wondering if that would be enough to use Galaxy Tab as GPS, or if I would need to get one of the more expensive plans.

Edited by - toronado455 on 19 oct. 2010 10:19:04
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2010 :  22:32:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a good question, I haven't looked specifically at the data use, but my 2Gb/$25 iPad plan didn't go over the limit last month with some pretty use of GMN and other connected applications.

I had to return my Motorola Milestone (no 3G in the US and WiFi AdHoc tweak not working) but have ordered a 7" tablet with a uBlox GPS built-in.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2010 :  09:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking the $30 2GB Sprint plan may be my best bet.

Do you think I should start a new thread on using the Galaxy Tab for nav or just keep the discussion here?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2010 :  22:01:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want to discuss general GPS use on the Galaxy Tab yes, if you want to discuss GMN, no ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2010 :  08:50:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New v4.7.0 version available, more tweaks apparently.

Installed and running on my new Android 7" tablet with a built-in uBlox 5 GPS module and the map view is very impressive on such a big screen. You need a special car mount of course, but surprisingly enough you get used to it quickly. Seen here next to the nuvi 1695 that seems dwarfed in spite of its 5" screen !

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2010 :  09:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, how do you like it? I see some reflections in the glossy screen. Could an aftermarket anti-glare layer be fitted?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2010 :  09:11:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the screen is not quite of the "GPS grade", at least of the current nuvi models, and of course of the glass capacitive screens, but it remains quite visible even in direct light. Not sure about a anti-glare layer, they tend to take "light" out but I'll probably go looking for one after I get some scratches...they're good to mask them ;-)

As for the device, let's say it has a "prototype" feel, not exactly the iPad user experience, but it's interesting to experiment, it certainly deserves a topic of its own here, hope to get to that this week.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2010 :  11:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What version of Android is it running?

I've decided against the Galaxy Tab for now. Not sold on Android for tablets just yet. I'm waiting to see what the next (2.3~3.0) version of Android is like.

Edited by - toronado455 on 22 nov. 2010 11:12:48
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2010 :  01:52:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Running the latest 2.2, aka Froyo, at $200 it's a good deal, if only for GMN and also if you need a device to experiment with Android, but that's the subject of another topic...that I just started here : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138653 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2010 :  00:18:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A new update to GMN was announced as the same time as the Nexus S :
- local caching of maps
- 3D rendering

Just checked, not available on the market yet!

Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2010 :  17:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google Maps 5 is supposed to hit the Market next week. Google has switched to vector based maps, so no more downloading of large image tiles! The data savings is massive (something like 1/100th the amount of data required). Maps will be rendered locally by the device. This allows the local caching of map data and routing will be performed locally as well. This is a major update!

Watch the stock tickers on Garmin and TomTom next week!

More info here: http://androidandme.com/2010/12/applications/google-maps-mobile-5-will-bring-3d-buildings-and-offline-support-in-a-matter-of-days/

Here is Andy Rubin demo'ing the new Maps on an Android tablet prototype: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqBPW3avYs&feature=player_embedded

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2010 :  20:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was wondering about that when I saw that vid a few days ago. The new way of drawing frankly makes more sense. However, satellite & aerial overlays would still require the old method, no?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2010 :  22:05:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the "satellite" maps or "Street View" pictures won't change, they can only be "raster" maps as opposed to vector maps, but going to vector for "standard" maps is the only way to go local.

I read some stories that GMN 5 would need the upcoming Android 2.3, apparently it's only 2.2 now, good news!

As for "stock tickers" going down, I don't know, not until GMN remains an Android exclusive, and I don't see the point of getting excited about that anyway, TomTom and Garmin made GPS as we know it and enjoy it today possible (and earned big money in the process granted), but no need to diss them now or write them off, they'll figure something out...and there is a topic for those who want to compare GMN and PNDs, it's not black and white -> Lifetime Maps vs Iphone/Android GPS? in the "General Questions and Discussions" forums.

Back to GMN, Google have clearly figured out by now it's the "killer app" for Android, what really makes it stand out versus Apple's iPhone, as Android does not provide a "better" end user experience (different story for the manufacturers of course) and has some nasty quirks like the lack of WiFi AdHoc. No more talk of bringing it to Apple devices, not sure who put the brakes on that promise, possibly Apple at first, now I suspect it would be Google ;-)

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2010 :  23:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was under the impression that Google Navigation for Android (Nav, not Maps) already used vectors. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to easily zoom in, zoom out, changes perspective, etc, as it does today with ease.

Mio Moov 500 / Google Nav Android / Copilot 8 Android
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2010 :  01:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ larryc: Not until v5. Currently, Maps for Android downloads image tiles, just like the desktop version. For example, notice when you zoom out rapidly in Maps on your phone that you'll have those gray squares that fill in as they're downloaded. Those are the tiles. You also have preset zoom levels currently. With vector based maps, you'll be able to zoom to any height you choose.

@ gpspassion: I'm not sure how you read all of that out of my little 'stock ticker' comment. In no way am I dissing the major GPS players in the industry. I've always been a big fan of Garmin's products, including their mobile software. And I think they would even do well on the Android Market, even vs. the free GMN, because of their brand recognition and solid maps. I've never been a fan of TomTom, but I wasn't 'dissing' them either.

I think it's fair to say that the inclusion of offline map caching is a major feature, and was the biggest handicap of GMN vs all other major GPS solutions. With that handicap removed, the incentive to buy traditional PND / GPS software is arguably lessened.

If you'll remember back to OCT 2009, the announcement of Google Maps Nav as a part of Android 2.0 caused quite a stir in the industry, and precipitated large drops (16% and 21%) in GRMN and TOM2 prices. That's the reason I threw out the stock ticker comment. Do I think the same will happen when GMN 5 drops? No, I don't, because the avg stockholder won't know nor care about GMN having offline caching, and the new feature hasn't been promoted. There wouldn't be a noticeable effect on stock prices unless there was a major advertising campaign highlighting the new feature on a major new phone release by a major carrier (and I don't think that's going to happen).

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2010 :  20:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[ed]I'm refering to Google Navigation, not Google Maps. I concur Google Maps indeed uses raster tiles, but I am pretty sure that Navigation uses vectors. When using Navigation on my phone, I can zoom in & out dynamically, pan, and change perspective, and it's all smooth. Pretty sure this is done with vectors. ( might be wrong, but the perspective change is the one that makes me think it's vector based.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2010 :  08:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if Google Maps Nav works on a rooted Nook Color?

Edited by - toronado455 on 14 déc. 2010 08:43:41
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2010 :  08:48:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some smart minds are figuring out a lot of things about the NC at XDA-Dev, the problem is that there is no built-in GPS and no Bluetooth so there's no way to get a GPS position into the NC at this point...there's a theory that the chipset does have Bluetooth, just that it hasn't been enabled due to licensing. It might be wishful thinking and that doesn't mean it can be enabled anyway.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2010 :  08:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lack of a GPS module on the NC is a problem.

Notion Ink Adam is my next focal point. Just wish it were a 7" device.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2010 :  09:08:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty happy with the Witstech A81 as explained in its topic, built-in GPS and Bluetooth to connect to an external GPS, all for $200 shipped, any questions about it, feel free -> [TOPIC] Witstech A81 Android Tablet with 7" screen ;-)

Go to Top of Page

dcnuvi

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2010 :  23:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bought a Galaxy Tab last night. Will be checking out the gps and google maps very closely. I haven't seen any updates yet offered with the new maps yet. Has anyone actually got them and tried them out? ETA for Canada?

Nuvi 2460LMT:Galaxy S Vibrant 2.2: Galaxy Tab: GPSMap 60CSx: Vista: past devices 1490 LMT, XXL540TM,Nuvi760, Nuvi670 & TT920
Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2010 :  06:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dcnuvi,

Cool, it will be nice to hear from someone who actually has a Tab. Be sure and post your review in the topic for the Tab! [ED -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138317]

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2010 :  06:41:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dcnuvi

I haven't seen any updates yet offered with the new maps yet. Has anyone actually got them and tried them out?
Not available for me and haven't seen any reports of availability yet.

Good points above about vector maps, must say I'm not so sure now, rendering 3D dynamically certainly seems like it would be a challenge with raster maps, maybe it's a "ploy" to bring the map caching into the picture, there have been quite a few lawsuits over the years with some companies claiming patents on map rendering...doesn't really matter to the end user ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2010 :  19:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update now available in the Android Market.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2010 :  20:12:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip, let me grab my Witstech A81/MIDnite...yes available and downloaded, no obvious changes in Maps, fewer "Lab" options it seems, it looks like the previous ones I'd selected are now included by default. Will try navigating later today.

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2010 :  20:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got the update on my Android 2.1 device.
I noticed something I REALLY don't like!
As you start zooming in, ALL roads (highways, secondary roads, local streets, etc) all become white. This means at these zoom levels, it's very difficult to distinguish between different road types.

Hope this is just a bug (that will be fixed soon) and not a new "works as designed".

Oh, and I can't get the tilt feature to work.

Edited by - larryc on 16 déc. 2010 21:16:54
Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2010 :  22:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you guys talking about the Google Maps 5.0 update or something else? I don't have an Android device, and I'm always confused about the difference between the "Nav" app and the "Maps" app.

In this video, it shows what appears to be someone holding the device parallel to the earth and pointing it in different directions and it keeps the "north up" stationary (maps stays put while device is moved). Just wondering, if this were mounted vertically in a vehicle, would that feature still work?

Edited by - toronado455 on 16 déc. 2010 22:24:21
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2010 :  23:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Downloaded it on my Droid. I've got the 3D feature working for tilt, pan, and compass mode. But...I can't get that new Rotate gesture to work. Anybody else have that working?

Pretty awesome update. The compass mode while in 3D view is nice.

@ toronado455: We're talking about Maps 5.0 for Android. Maps is just that...maps; like going to maps.google.com on your desktop. Google Nav is a separate app for full blown voice-guided GPS navigation, but it is linked to Maps (as well as other apps) so that it can be launched seamlessly from within Maps (or from within other apps). The new features in Maps 5.0 do not carry over to Google Nav (no 3D buildings, pan/tilt, etc).

As far as that video goes, I think you're referring to 'Compass Mode', which rotates the map according to the physical direction you're facing in the real world. It's 'Track Up' actually, not North up. On my Droid, if I have the phone truly vertical, it doesn't work too well - start's spinning around. But if I tilt it forward 20 degs or so, it works.

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2010 :  23:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gman, if you zoom way in, do you see the same problem I do with roads & freeways all showing as white?

Here's an example:
1. Screencap of the intersection of I78 & the Garden State Parkway
2. This is what it looks like when I zoom in one click:

Edited by - larryc on 17 déc. 2010 01:36:45
Go to Top of Page

dcnuvi

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2010 :  03:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My galaxy s phone and galaxy tab both display the updated maps properly and not having your issue.

Nuvi 2460LMT:Galaxy S Vibrant 2.2: Galaxy Tab: GPSMap 60CSx: Vista: past devices 1490 LMT, XXL540TM,Nuvi760, Nuvi670 & TT920
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2010 :  21:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ larryc: I do not have that problem. Everything displays properly on my Droid running Froyo (2.2.1). What phone do you have?

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2010 :  22:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a samsung intercept. I'm starting to find a few reports of other Intercept users having the same problem.

Go to Top of Page

larryc

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2010 :  16:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by larryc

I'm refering to Google Navigation, not Google Maps. I concur Google Maps indeed uses raster tiles, but I am pretty sure that Navigation uses vectors. When using Navigation on my phone, I can zoom in & out dynamically, pan, and change perspective, and it's all smooth. Pretty sure this is done with vectors. ( might be wrong, but the perspective change is the one that makes me think it's vector based.

FWIW, I was right: even before the Google Maps 5 rollout, Google Navigation used vector maps. In this article, someone from google says: "Google Maps isn’t the first mobile app to use vector graphics—in fact, Google Earth and our Navigation (Beta) feature do already."

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2010 :  21:30:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it's been a mixture of both vector and raster all along, you obviously need vectors to calculate routes, but they are doing the "painting" of the terrain features using raster. I clearly saw small "squares" being downloaded on the v5 too after turning on my connection again.

Anyway v5 is running OK on my Witstech A81/MIDnite 7" tablet but I'm not seeing any new features like 3D, maybe because it's not multi-touch? Haven't seen any setting for the cache too, will try driving around and turn off WiFi to see what happens.

Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2010 :  22:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
V5 works perfectly on my Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. The Cache settings are "Prefetch on mobile", to prefetch map tiles even if not on wifi, and leas map tile cache. Currrently it is showing that I have 8.1mb of tiles cached.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 déc. 2010 :  02:10:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where is that setting visible ?

Went out for a drive and it is caching pretty well...up to a point of course, it will re-route if it's not too far off-route, say a couple of streets, something I tried on the way back, but on the way out, I took the better route (as suggested by Garmin and TomTom GPS systems) from Palo Alto to San Jose (101->85->280) instead of (101->San Thomas) and it went to 2D , zoomed out and told me to follow the route...at which point I turned on WiFi again (using it with a tethered iPad).

Not sure if there is 3D in San Jose, there should be, but I'm not seeing it with my tablet, it's got a resistive screen with no multi-touch so that could be the reason.

Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 19 déc. 2010 :  02:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Maps is under settings/more/cache settings. It is not available in the navigation app

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 déc. 2010 :  02:42:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, not seeing that on my MID, I do have "clear cache" button in the main menu of Maps and if I go to More/About I can see the data sent and received but not the cache info, oh well caching is working so that's the main thing ;-)

Go to Top of Page

dcnuvi

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 19 déc. 2010 :  20:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As this tread is GMN-Reviews here is my 2 cents worth:
Gmaps and nav are pretty and useful. The searches on Google are awesome. My phone and tablet are like having a PC with me everywhere I drive.
However, GMN has left me wanting in the actual navigation app. It scores third place behind Garmin and TomTom in routing and ETAs, features, voice options, and customizing. Don't get me wrong,it works, but it's potential has not yet been realized. This does not bother me as I know it is in BETA testing stages and improvements keep coming. Eventually it may be #1 without a doubt, but not today.
Many features it has already exceeds anything else available, and it has been my favorite phone nav app, but the Nav app needs fine tuning to make it better than the current version.
Google will do this no doubt, but today I will travel with my trusty Nuvi and GMN will be a novelty. Google searches will be highly valued, and the Nuvi will be giving the directions. The maps have been of excellent quality and accuracy. I just see to many poor choices with GMN so far.
IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 19 déc. 2010 :  20:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree - GMN is a nice tool to have on my Droid, but as a full-fledge navigator, it's still not quite there. I was running some comparisons between it and CoPilot yesterday and there was usually more features I wish I could pull from CoPilot and put on GMN than vice-versa.
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 20 déc. 2010 :  17:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ gpspassion:

San Jose does have 3D buildings. You should be able to see them on your tablet. You have to be zoomed in to 500ft scale or closer, and be over the city center, of course. Here are all the cities currently supported: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=200767827622434768886.0004973f4f6783ad3ff54&ie=UTF8&ll=34.307144,-97.734375&spn=129.366461,203.203125&z=1&source=embed

The new 3D features in v5 require Android 2.0+. These are the only devices currently that support all of the new 3D and multi-touch features:
Galaxy S
Droid
Droid X
Droid 2
Droid Incredible
Evo
Nexus S
G2

Here's Google's description of their vector graphics tech:

"Before diving into how Maps uses vector graphics, it may be helpful to understand how maps were created before. Previously, Google Maps downloaded the map as sets of individual 256x256 pixel “image tiles.” Each pre-rendered image tile was downloaded with its own section of map imagery, roads, labels and other features baked right in. Google Maps would download each tile as you needed it and then stitch sets together to form the map you see. It takes more than 360 billion tiles to cover the whole world at 20 zoom levels!

Now, we use vector graphics to dynamically draw the map. Maps will download “vector tiles” that describe the underlying geometry of the map. You can think of them as the blueprints needed to draw a map, instead of static map images. Because you only need to download the blueprints, the amount of data needed to draw maps from vector tiles is drastically less than when downloading pre-rendered image tiles. Google Maps isn’t the first mobile app to use vector graphics—in fact, Google Earth and our Navigation (Beta) feature do already. But a combination of modern device hardware and innovative engineering allow us to stream vector tiles efficiently and render them smoothly, while maintaining the speed and readability we require in Google Maps."

Here's how Maps v5 does offline caching, currently:

"With this first version, Maps proactively caches map data for the places you use Maps the most—where you’re actively using it as well as places for which you search or get directions. Then when you’re plugged in and connected over WiFi, caching happens automatically. Near your frequent places, you’ll get detailed vector tiles for city-sized regions so you can see every road labeled. Further away, you’ll have less detail but will typically have towns and highways labeled for miles. We’re continuing to work on these algorithms, so you’ll see improvements over time."

Edited by - gman on 20 déc. 2010 17:36:39
Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2011 :  04:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed that the Samsung Galaxy Player 50 (being called the iPod Touch of Android devices even though the specs on it are kinda disappointing; Android 2.1, low-res screen, etc) has GPS. Does that mean it will run Google Maps Navigation without a wi-fi connection?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2011 :  07:14:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't be a problem installing GMN via the market but to access the maps on the road you'll need a data connection of some sort, to a tethered phone for instance. You could always calculate a route using your home connection and rely on the cached data but you'll be SOL if you need to alter your route.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2011 :  09:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. So basically, the GPS chip itself would be of no use unless the maps were cached or a data connection was present to grab them?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2011 :  03:34:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right, GMN need a data connection to work, unlike an "on-board" application such as Navigon or ALK CoPilot.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2011 :  10:21:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 5.1 now available in the market, adds "check-in" feature to the Latitude service. I also noticed a new map orientation mode using the compass by tapping on the GPS icon top right. Haven't noticed anything new in the Navigation module so far.

The "Check-in" feature in action :

Go to Top of Page

Rgold

124 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2011 :  23:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New feature - Real Time Traffic Re Routing:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/07/google-maps-navigation-for-android-adds-real-time-traffic-re-rou/

NUVI650, DROID X CoPilot Live
Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2011 :  01:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That traffic rerouting looks good.

I still don't own an Android device, but improvements like this are encouraging me to try it.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2011 :  03:46:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, a new version 5.2.1 is out, but I'm not seeing any difference as far as traffic is concerned compared to 5.1. You can still see three alternate routes with ETA based on traffic incidents on the route. Are they saying that you get prompted for a new route if your current route gets jammed? Will have to check that out over the next few days.

Continued : doesn't look like it, here's what Google have to say about 5.2 on the Google Mobile blog and they mention ratings and check-in. Apparently there was a bug in 5.2, so that's probably why we got 5.2.1.

Go to Top of Page

JStu313

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2011 :  13:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See here:
http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/03/youve-got-better-things-to-do-than-wait.html
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2011 :  07:02:48  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, having read this...
quote:
You don’t have to do anything to be routed around traffic; just start Navigation like you normally would, either from the Navigation app or from within Google Maps. Before today, Navigation would choose whichever route was fastest, without taking current traffic conditions into account. It would also generate additional alternate directions, such as the shortest route or one that uses highways instead of side roads. Starting today, our routing algorithms will also apply our knowledge of current and historical traffic to select the fastest route from those alternates. That means that Navigation will automatically guide you along the best route given the current traffic conditions.
...I'm still not convinced that they're not simply communicating on something that was already there. Based on my experience the ETA already factored in traffic jams, maybe not historical conditions, that's hard to know for sure. The question as to whether you will get rerouted if something pops up on your route remains too, please post if you see that happening ;-)

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2011 :  22:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, there is definitely new features here. Before, the route calculated was the quickest route, THEN Google Nav would show you whether there was traffic on that route and it would adjust the ETA. You could select to see multiple route options before and it would tell you the traffic conditions on those routes as well, through the change in the ETA. But, at no time before, has Google Nav picked a route at calculation time based on the traffic conditions. I use Google Nav every day on repetitive routes based on my (unsubstantiated) hopes that Google Nav is collecting that data for future use (i.e., a TomTom IQRoutes-like service) and I am seeing new routes never shown to me before based on the traffic conditions.

Interestingly, I am also seeing changes in the ETA of repetitive routes after I've driven them once.

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725, Rand McNally 7735, Garmin viago
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2011 :  00:39:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for pitching in, I remember you'd also mentioned seeing ETA being impacted by traffic in previous versions, so what's changed makes sense now. They are doing more work "ahead" on their servers then, which is just as well since that's where the processing power is located.

As for collecting data, that may already bee happening since they say that their routes factor in historical conditions as well.

Updated - was doing some testing tonight and I noticed in one case that I could get an earlier ETA with an alternate route so I've got some doubts as to what they are doing exactly...could be a bug of course ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2011 :  12:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know that occasionally finding a faster alternate route would be a bug, unless I'm misunderstanding. I could do the same on every pnd I've ever used. Some of the routing algorithms are better than others tho and perhaps Google's isn't the best of the best.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2011 :  21:04:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that was a simple 3 mile route and the alternates were generated within seconds of the original calculation supposedly optimized for traffic...this points out that the faster route would have been easily determined on their servers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the GMN app, what with the clear alternate routes feature and access to Google MyMaps, it's most glaring omission being speed limit signs, but the whole buzz around "Google has added traffic information so you can throw your PND away" looks more like a clever PR "coup" relayed by people who haven't looked into what's being claimed very closely, now that's surprising ;-)

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2011 :  23:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can GMN automatically re-route around planned construction and freeway lane & on/off ramp closures? Can any GPS nav system (hardware and/or software) do that?

Edited by - toronado455 on 12 mars 2011 23:09:05
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2011 :  04:11:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen no evidence (or claim) of GMN being able to reroute dynamically if something comes up on your route after the initial route has been calculated. For that to happen Google would have to track your progress, which could raise a few questions...All the other modern AIOs (local route calculation ) with traffic can do that, including your nuvi 660...as long as they get the proper traffic information of course. That should not be taken for granted as I recently found with my nuvi 1695, see its topic for details.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2011 :  10:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, but what about non-dynamically? I mean in regards to avoiding scheduled lane closures? I'd like my GPS to take that into consideration when doing the initial route calculation. Of course I'd also like dynamic updates, but I'll take what I can get.

For those of you who use Navigon for iPhone, how does it compare with GMN?

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 16 mars 2011 :  03:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the vast amount of traffic data that Google has at their disposal their first attempt at a real time/historical routing algorithm may not be the equal of either TomTom or Garmin but they are tenacious and they keep coming and coming so I look for improvements to continue as they release newer versions.

The more data they have the more complex the algorithm is.

I also wonder whether they are causing traffic jams on the routes they are sending people on as alternatives.

150 million google maps mobile users worldwide and 35 million miles per day of data being compiled into historical data and its just a matter of time.

TomTom had layoffs last year. I can imagine that some went to Googles mobile maps division.

At some point they will be the best and at zero cost.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2011 :  06:30:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 5.4.0 of GMN is now out. No major change. They really need to add the speed limit signs and a live display of the actual GPS speed would be nice too.

Been running it recently on a Barnes & Noble Nook Color with a special ROM with Bluetooth activated to allow connection to an external Bluetooth GPS. Works pretty well!

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2011 :  11:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! GPS on the Nook Color! Do you have a post somewhere detailing how you got the special ROM working? Which external Bluetooth GPS does it connect to?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2011 :  21:53:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can get a ready-mode ROM on XDA Dev, actually I was meaning to start a new topic on the Nook, here it is : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=140934 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 juin 2011 :  20:33:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New v5.5.0 version available and I could swear I've been hearing "dongs", but maybe it's in case of a recalculation rather than a prompt for an upcoming turn.

Rumors have surfaced (source : All About Phones) of GMN working in "on-board" mode with no requirement for a server connection. While that sounds intriguing it would also mean that the great "off-board" features of GMN would be lost (trafic, alternate routes, street view, etc...).

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2011 :  02:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no way Google is going to remove features like traffic, street view, etc. Navigon and ALK clearly know how to store maps offline and go online for the traffic, search and other content. Google will certainly bring a new twist to this I am sure, but no way will we lose features.

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725, Rand McNally 7735, Garmin viago
Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2011 :  08:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, they're not going to remove features like traffic, etc. I think what gpspassion was saying is that (only) while in "on-board" mode, traffic, etc. would be unavailable.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2011 :  09:54:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, what I was pointing out is that you can't expect GMN to be as useful, or even to look much like it does now, without any network access. In fact if you have $7 to spare there is no need to wait for this rumoured update to navigate worldwide on the cheap with navdroyd that let's you navigate with OSM maps.

I'd be more interested in seeing Google add the much needed speed limit signs to the existing GMN and also a better ETA as it's often very pessimistic.

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2011 :  00:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google released v5.7 of its Maps / Navigation app for Android today and it's most important feature is unannounced and undocumented. This version now includes an experimental feature that enables downloading of map segments for offline use without a data connection!

This feature is enabled through the Labs feature of Google Maps.

After downloading the app update, start Google Maps and go to MENU, MORE, LABS. Click on the Download Map Area option.

Now, search for a place or scroll to an area of the map. Long press on the map to bring up the address of the long pressed area. Press the right arrow to bring up the details. Now, in either the menu you are looking at, or in the MORE menu item, you will see Download Map Area.

This will download a 10 mile square area around that point that can be used offline.

Wow. What a huge step. This is obviously the start of something huge.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2011 :  02:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Engadget just posted a bit about the new public transit feature.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/06/google-maps-transit-navigation-beta-for-android-hands-on-video/

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2011 :  02:48:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another new interesting feature, have you tried it? Does it work well?
quote:
Originally posted by jeffcarp94

Google released v5.7 of its Maps / Navigation app for Android today and it's most important feature is unannounced and undocumented. This version now includes an experimental feature that enables downloading of map segments for offline use without a data connection!

This feature is enabled through the Labs feature of Google Maps.

After downloading the app update, start Google Maps and go to MENU, MORE, LABS. Click on the Download Map Area option.

Now, search for a place or scroll to an area of the map. Long press on the map to bring up the address of the long pressed area. Press the right arrow to bring up the details. Now, in either the menu you are looking at, or in the MORE menu item, you will see Download Map Area.

This will download a 10 mile square area around that point that can be used offline.

Wow. What a huge step. This is obviously the start of something huge.

Thanks for reposting here, this is very exciting news indeed. We already had some automatic caching of the route but this adds another level, on my way to updating my Smartphone to check it out "live"...

...working indeed, not much to it, took about 1 minute to download the tiles. To test it I put my smartphone in airplane mode and tried to zoom in. It works but it doesn't seem like all the area covered by the rectangle shown after the download was complete has detailed maps.

To manage downloaded maps you need to go to more/cache settings/downloaded map areas and you click on the map to see the covered area.

I cleared the cache and while the map is still listed nothing appears on the map, so it seems that new feature works in combination with the cache somehow.

Will have to check out if routing is at all possible offline within the downloaded section.

Go to Top of Page

lost-in-space

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 02 août 2011 :  19:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got update 5.8 the other day. Suppose to bring improvements to Places and Latitude.

TomTom 540TM
Go to Top of Page

michaelnel

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03 août 2011 :  18:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can you tell what version is installed?

edit : Never mind, I found it. I have 5.8 installed. What a cool app!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2011 :  14:03:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, 5.8.0 here too and for some strange reason I can't zoom in to a very detailed level anymore in the "maps" app, the nav app doesn't have that problem. I'd had that after updating to 5.7.0 too I think and a reboot had fixed it, will try clearing my cache to see if it helps.

Go to Top of Page

michaelnel

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2011 :  04:13:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5.9.0 is out now too. Just keeps getting better!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2011 :  17:57:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's nice to see new versions regularly but I can't say I saw many changes with the recent version, including 5.9.0, this will have to change with the next version, V6.0.0 ;-)

Did a lot of driving this summer, 7,005 miles coast to coast, mostly relying on my Garmin 3790T but I was running GMN on my Android smartphone at all times to have access to the stops I had programmed on Google MyMaps and to get a "big picture" thanks to the "alternate routes" feature. Routes were generally ok, but the biggest problem I'd already mentioned here is the overly pessimistic ETA, unlike my nuvi 3790T that was always within 10 minutes of the actual time.

Google really need to work on that, as well as adding the speed limits.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 juin 2012 :  22:40:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FF to 06/2012 and v6.8.0 is now the latest version but not much is new compared with last year...but this is apparently about to change according to this article http://www.androidcentral.com/google-maps-android-getting-offline-access - with Google ready to launch a full off-line maps/navigation application.

We'll have to see how they handle the map downloading, the routing, the address/POI search, etc... I recently used the "caching" for a trip abroad in a large city and while it worked ok, the lack of searching or routing did not make it very useful to spot places.

Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2012 :  02:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So 6.9 is suppose to allow up to 60 miles of map tiles downloadable, versus the previous limit of 10-miles?

But it's for "metro" areas, which may not cover smaller towns in other countries.

In another forum, someone is claiming that you need a data connection at least initially to have it calculate the initial route. That would make the Nexus tablet that they just announced today unable to use GMN, unless you have a smart phone with a hotspot or a Mifi?
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2012 :  03:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Various people and media outlets read more into what Google announced about off-line than what they really said. Google never announced an off-line navigation capability. All they did was announced off-line maps which is exactly what they delivered today. They have this capability in the previous versions but it was definitely a temporary situation. I always thought of it more as off-line caching. It would only stay for about a week and it was a very small area.

The capability today allows you to download a square area of various sizes to your handheld device. As far as I can tell, the download is permanent and all of your downloads are accessible in the places app section of Google maps. You can even name the downloaded areas to a custom name if you desire.

I downloaded three areas before jumping on an airplane tonight and from the airplane I could go into those areas and zoom so in to street-level detail.

There is no navigation, there are no directions there is no searching for places of interest. It is strictly
off-line map viewing which if you go back and review what Google announced, it's allbut they promised.
quote:
AS PER THE FAQ, NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, MAKES THE FORUMS EASIER TO READ, THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2012 :  12:29:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't seem to update to 6.9.0 for now but your description confirms what I feared (givent the difficulty to do anything else), i.e. that the "off-line" features that Google had "hinted at" were in fact the "Google Labs" feature becoming available as a standard feature, albeit with some added "depth" (60 miles versus 10 miles). Apps like Locus let you cache much larger sizes of Google and many more types of maps.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2012 :  19:54:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
v6.11 now available, adds cycling routes in some areas.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3,06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05