Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2264

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom Car Kit for iPhone - Reviewed
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

jonasolof

Belgium
255 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2009 :  18:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my tomtom car kit from tomtom.be in one day, which was yesterday. It works fine with Navigon and iGo as stated. The tomtom app is interesting, since it is the first time that one can actually see GPS signal strength per satellite as we were used to with other gps receivers. Juxtaposing a retransmitting gps antenna (sanav R45) increases signal strength considerably. I'll arrange for a fixed mount roof antenna to retransmit to the tomtom kit so as to get an optimal sky view.

Another interesting thing is gps positioning update frequency. The iGo app has a dot which leaps behind the cursor and shows the precise position of each gps nmea (or what ever protocol the iphone uses internally. It is quite clear with the internal gps that the cycle is once per second - and with one second intervals, the cursor has time to advance a bit in relation to the last position.
With the tomtom car kit the dot sometimes land inside the cursor and it never lags behind the cursor as far as it does with the internal chip. The result is less positioning lag which is good in roundabouts entre autre. I first thought that the update frequency was more than once per second but this was wrong. I agree that the iphone can miss a beat once in a while from the car kit (se post below).

With igo, but before having the car kit, I noticed how precise positioning is. The cursor locks on the road where the route is indicated. But if I choose to go on a parallell road, let's say some twenty meters to the side as can happen on german autobahn exits, the cursor will continue on the main road whereas the dot shows my precise position on the parallell road. If th diversion is greater, the cursor will jump and the route be recalculated. This precision should be further enhanced with the car kit, a good antenna such as the SMARTEQ amplified CARANT and an optimal sky view.

Jonas Lönnroth
Belgium & Sweden
Mio c520t, Garmins iQue 3600, Nüvi 660, 76CS, 60CSx, GPS10, GPS18

Edited by - jonasolof on 08 nov. 2009 16:10:51
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2009 :  19:00:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also had a feeling the internal module "skipped a beat" from time to time when I did my testing (see the pictures on the previous page), since it's a hosted chip that could explain it, especially on the less powerful 3G.

The "bars" are a first on the iPhone, here they are below, too bad the app doesn't work with the internal gps chip.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  02:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now updated to support the iPod Touch and original iPhone (kit required):
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/18/tomtom-updated-to-support-ipod-touch-and-original-iphone/
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  02:54:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, but that's actually more "TomTom for iPhone" related than Car Kit related -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=129135 ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  03:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, fine. I just thought since there was already discussion of whether it would work with the iPod Touch on pages 1 & 2 of this thread, followers of this thread might be interested in the news.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  03:12:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right, the issue is that the iPod Touch version of the kit is not yet available AFAIK. Tood bad they didn't put a "slider" in the current kit like Magellan are doing so it could be used with an iPod touch too...

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  17:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pricing for the iPod car kit was announced this morning at $100 US (79 euros?)Said to be availabe "soon".

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2009 :  17:42:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, availability is announced for November 11th in Europe at a price of €80 vs €100 for the iPhone kit, likely due to the lack (and need for) Bluetooth. I've asked for a review unit.

Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2009 :  23:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about bluetooth but the iPod Touch kit apparently is lacking the microphone.

If it has a bluetooth, maybe you can pair it with a headset for VOIP.

Or pair it with another phone for hands-free mode?

Any word on whether other GPS apps. can use the TomTom kits?
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2009 :  04:27:39  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wco81 Any word on whether other GPS apps. can use the TomTom kits?

Yes - all it takes is to look up few messages in this same thread :)

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA

Edited by - klopus on 21 nov. 2009 04:28:38
Go to Top of Page

ronss

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2009 :  13:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please forgive me if I have repeated a question asked earlier (I looked but didn't see this question):
I have the iphone 3gs and have purchased the Magellan Roadmate GPS app. I can wait for the Magellan iphone car kit, but it appears, from the above posts, that the Tom Tom car kit (now in the Apple stores) works with a great many of the non-TomTom apps (eg, Navigon).
Does anyone know if the GPS module in the TomTom car kit works with/enhances the GPS signal for use with the Magellan Roadmate GPS app?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2009 :  17:03:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As written above, there is no known incompatibility at this time and that makes sense based on what we know about location on the iPhone, see the review in the first message.

Go to Top of Page

ronss

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2009 :  12:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the response. While it seems like it should, given that no one had previously mentioned the Magellan Roadmate app, I thought I'd ask.
One last question about the Tom Tom car kit: the "coming soon" Magellan car kit touts that it will fit the iphone with any kind of skin or hard case that is on the phone. I see no such mention of the Tom Tom's ability to do so. Does the Tom Tom car kit allow you to use it while still having a skin/hard case on the iphone?
Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2009 :  14:27:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No it's a right and perfect fit, so anything more than a than a protective screen will prevent it from fitting, not a problem for me as I use a rubbery dual case that comes off easily.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2009 :  14:03:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just saw this MOD on pocketgpsworld for those who want to use their TomTom Car Kit with a Brodit/ProClip mount : http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/TomTom-iPhone-car-kit-with-a-difference-7793.php

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05