Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2297

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 265wt lost-looses satellites [Fixed in v5.7]
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 28 juil. 2009 :  06:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the midtst of a trip from Maryland to Indiana. During the last 30 miles of the trip my 265wt and several other folks in our caravan have had quite a number of occasions where the device went out-to-lunch and finally announced Poor Satellite Reception after acting erratic for awhile. I have my 650 with me and works fine. When I go to the screen showing what satellites are being received ofttimes the 265 will show 3 or 4 and the 650 will show over a dozen. What is the deal here? If the thing can't find satellites and older models can I have to wonder what is going on, that little flip-out antenna on the 650 (that is a weak point as it tends to result in an open circuit after constant flexing) can't improve reception that much.

Ads

beachtimko

2 Posts

Posted - 28 juil. 2009 :  15:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in Maryland and have had the 265WT with no problems for three weeks then all of a sudden on the 26th and the morning of the 27th I could only pick up one sattelite. It worked okay on the afternoon of the 27th and this morning so I am not sure what is going on.

(FYI, we drove from Michigan to Maryland on the 25th through some heavy rains and didn't lose the signal so I don't think it was the cloud cover)
Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 28 juil. 2009 :  16:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx beachtimko.
If I had just done a firmware update or such I'd blame it on that, I have not.
I felt "better" when multiple parties in our group had the issue but as the leader I felt pretty -- duh when
all the sudden I was stuck. I'll post garmin's reply if I get one, at the moment I'm ready to give it
back to them. I like the fact that it has no lag problem, but, if it doesn't know where it is
that is paramount.
Go to Top of Page

alandb

460 Posts

Posted - 28 juil. 2009 :  16:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were all of the units in your caravan that experienced the problem Garmin 265 models, or were they a mix of brand / models?

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra
Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 28 juil. 2009 :  19:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not certain of that but it is a good question that I'm going to try to pursue. If/when I get more info I'll post it.
Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 28 juil. 2009 :  21:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found out that one of the units that went out-to-lunch on-and-off is not even a garmin.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7737 Posts

Posted - 28 juil. 2009 :  21:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder if this problem could be the beginnings of the loss of satellites as discussed here:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=125838

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2009 :  02:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N-Rick, I've seen the articles, and that certainly is running thru my mind.
The only comfort is that the 650 seems to find them all just fine.
I'm thinking this is another case of newer ain't better.
Go to Top of Page

RoyBob

10 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2009 :  03:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, have a 265WT and experienced satellite reception issues beginning on Monday.
Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2009 :  05:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N-Rick or other moderators,
Another troubled user I find has a Tom Tom so now we have 3 diff brands with issues.
Sorry, I haven't purused all of the forums like I know you guys do (thanx very much). Is there an open topic related to sudden satellite reception issues? If not, is there an appropriate place where we can post one (as this seems to be independent of brand name/model? Thanx
Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2009 :  16:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin wrote back to make sure my firmware is at 5.3, it is 5.1.
Because I'm on-the-road I don't have a cable, but, when I tried just prior to departure last week it said "no updates available".
I think 5.3 just enhanced traffic and bluetooth. Just compared a 205 to the 650 and 265 out in the parking lot.
The 265 had about 14 satellites, the 205 and 265 about 6.

Edited by - bwhite on 30 juil. 2009 16:38:17
Go to Top of Page

doug r

14 Posts

Posted - 01 août 2009 :  10:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 255. Today it started with "awaiting better accuracy" and got worse during the day. It hasn't been able to find any satellites since late this afternoon. I've tried reinstalling the firmware and erasing user data, but no luck. Wait, it lost and found reception since I put by the window about a half hour ago....
Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 02 août 2009 :  04:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Doug, it pains me to hear that. We have 255's in several pieces of our fire apparatus.
What part of the country are you in ?
Go to Top of Page

doug r

14 Posts

Posted - 02 août 2009 :  05:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwhite

Oh Doug, it pains me to hear that. We have 255's in several pieces of our fire apparatus.
What part of the country are you in ?

I am in Richmond BC. I suspect our recent heat wave may have something to do with it-we had a high of 34C/92F+ on Thursday. The unit was fine Thursday though, it started acting up on Friday. It was a little slow acquiring today, but as soon as I reached for my old Magellan in the trunk, it smartened up and seems to be working OK now. This and that 700 series problem shows you really should keep those old units around just in case.
Go to Top of Page

HRS

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 02 août 2009 :  05:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, now I'm getting paranoid.

The other day, my trusty 260 (old version), which has never done anything weird, froze up as I went through a particular intersection. I pulled over, turned it off, and then back on.

Just out of curiosity, I turned around and went back through the same intersection in the opposite direction, and....the 260 froze again at the same place!

I turned the 260 off/on again and went to my destination with no further problems. On the way back, hours later, I went through the same intersection noted above without problems.

I'm guessing that the firmware couldn't deal with the particular set of satellites and their positions and ran into a programmatical dead-end.

Nuvis 260 (original) and 260W (2009 version)
Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03 août 2009 :  04:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I won't know for sure since I am thankfully home from Indiana and cannot retrace my way thru the 25 mile area that seemed to give many of us problems. It was mildly amusing to see the trip logging stop at a certain place as I started home and then resume as the blue line came out of the lake and woods.

Yes, heat can kill them, it gave several of our team's a fit in Orlando last year, one was RIP.
This all happened during the last hour of a 10 hour drive so the vehicles were at a comfortable temp.
For those that don't know, pull them out of the windshield/dash when parked and put something over top of it in the car to make some shade.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05