Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2203

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] Navigon for iPhone / iPad - Testing - v1.8
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2009 :  04:37:26  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@roberthodgson Cool, thanks for being a guinea pig :) Let us know your impressions.

On a side note. Today I played with Navigon on my friend's 3GS 32GB and I'll tell ya compared to my 3G 8GB it feels like almost a totally different app. UI feels much snappier and all problems and crashes with address entry are gone. I guess crashes are happening when you try to enter information while Navigon still works in a background looking for suggestions while you type and also trying to acquire the GPS signal. On 3GS all prompts and suggestions happen almost instantaneous while you type so there's little actual concurrency. But slower 3G reveals bad Navigon's multi-threaded programming, probably bad thread synchronization and data protection.

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93939 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2009 :  12:00:56  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'd been toying with the idea of upgrading to the 3GS...getting harder to resist ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2009 :  13:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my 3GS. You should go for it!
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2009 :  15:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Navigon 1.2 features, here is the press release I received:

quote:
The highly anticipated text-to-speech function lets the NAVIGON MobileNaviagtor announce street names in addition to turn-by-turn directions. It is the first on-board navigation app for the iPhone with this functionality. Instead of only stating “turn right”, the app informs the user to “turn right on to ‘Main Street’, enabling the driver to further concentrate on the road ahead and not become distracted looking for street signs. “With the addition of text-to-speech technology from SVOX, NAVIGON remains on the forefront of iPhone navigation options with the most solid feature set on the market,” said Gerhard Mayr, Vice-President Worldwide Mobile Phones & New Markets at NAVIGON. “SVOX offers high quality text-to-speech technology, characterized by a natural and clear sound as well as a unique polyglot capability – the same voice can speak multiple languages like a native speaker,“ said Eric Lehmann, Chief Sales Officer of SVOX.

NAVIGON, from the outset is committed to not only setting the industry standard for navigation capabilities on the iPhone, but also integrates iPhone-specific functionalities. The new update is the next step in this direction with seamless integration of iPod controls. Drivers can now enjoy the full range of iPod functionalities with a simple one-click from map access to artists, titles, albums, audio books, podcasts and playlist selections. The feature also takes advantage of the shuffle, and automatic playlist generating technology within iPod. The driver can listen to songs again or leave it to the device to generate a random selection.

A new location sharing function makes it convenient to meet-up with friends and acquaintances, on the go. Users can share their own location, an address or a point of interest (POI) such as a restaurant or museum via email. If the recipients are MobileNavigator users, a simple link-tap provides the exact address. The navigation software starts automatically when the link is activated and guides the user directly to the destination, without having to input locations, and waiting for the search results. In addition, the app routinely changes the maps colors switching it between Day and Night Mode determined by time and location. This guarantees optimal display visibility at all times and allows drivers to recognize the route as quickly as possible to improve orientation.

The MobileNavigator transforms any iPhone 3G, equipped with the new Apple OS 3.0 operating system, and any iPhone 3G S into a complete navigation device. It is the only iPhone navigation app on the market featuring Reality View™ Pro which displays 3D views of complex highway interchanges and exits helping drivers to orientate. Also unique are the branded POI’s along the route which make it easier to spot any points of interest that are on the way.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

roberthodgson

4 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2009 :  13:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am impressed with the new version the speech quality is better then my old Garmin, the Ipod controll feature works great the volume of the song lowers while the navigation turn prompts come up.

I am really glad I went with the Navigon software verse TomTom

If you have not upgraded to the new version you will not be disappointed with the update from what I have seen so far.

Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2009 :  16:20:43  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I concur with Robert. Even on my slow 8G 3G new version is much smoother and I yet have to crash it.
Go to Top of Page

jdr

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2009 :  18:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Can anyone confirm that navigon uses only A2dp and does not use handsfree bluetooth? They don't answer email requests and can't find an online manual.
I can connect my cardo scala Fm headset for iphone calls but Navigon voice instructions do not get transmitted over the same unit. this could be a great motorcycle solution if bluetooth worked with the cardo headset.
2. when there is no GPS signal, advanced planning only seems to allow input of destination and not starting points. Am I missing something?
3. Re:NYC park avenue address input, no problem with my iphone 3GS.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93939 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2009 :  18:40:15  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. A2DP only it seems based on Enrique's testing, see the previous pages for details.

2. Use the trip planning mode to input the start point of your choice.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2009 :  19:51:15  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
3. Park Av address is fine only when I use New York City Metro, not New York City which misses many other addresses as well. This distinction is bizarre and took some time to figure. Even with the right selection it presents at 5 choices you have to go one by one since you can't see a zip code.
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2009 :  21:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a new version of 1.2 up in the App store, at least for the US version. I downloaded it yesterday and the file name was NAVIGON 1.2.ipa. Today I was alerted to an update and the file is NAVIGON 1.2 2.ipa. The European version I downloaded today is NAVIGON 1.2 1.ipa. It did not offer me an updated European 1.2 version yesterday so I don't know if that file changed or not.

The US version copyright screen shows:
Version 1.2.0 (North America build-503 20090825121429)

The European version shows:
Version 1.2.0 (Europe build-503 20090825121429)

Same build number for both versions.

On another note, you can actually navigate while talking on the phone. When a call comes in the app exits, but after you answer you can press the Home button and open the app again and continue navigating where you left off, without hanging up the call.

Today I tried this in my car. I answered with my factory hands-free setup, then restarted Navigon. The navigation instructions even came over the car speakers, in parallel with my phone conversation. The other party did not hear the navigation instruction so everything worked great. Too bad I can't restart the app automatically when a call comes in.

I checked on the Acura Hands Free Link and it only supports A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles. Thus I think my iPhone must have connected with one of these two. It seems like this would be an iPhone issue more than a Navigon issue.

Edited by - Enrique Muyshondt on 12 sept. 2009 03:24:06
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2009 :  08:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been extremely pleased with the text to speech quality. It may actually be better than any of the units I currently have in pronouncing unusual names correctly. This app is shaping up to be a really first class program. With the addition of a TomTom mount, when it comes out, it may come close to replacing PNDs, IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2009 :  12:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, Paul. In the past I've never really liked TTS and just turned it off. Often the street names were so muddled it was distracting. The TTS in Navigon sounds pretty natural, though. I'm glad I gave Navigon a try. I hope they eventually come out with some location based services. I would like the safety camera databases that are available for TomTom and I'd also like some Google integration like Garmin Mobile XT has. Traffic information and routing according to it would also be welcome.

Edited by - Enrique Muyshondt on 12 sept. 2009 14:37:33
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2009 :  19:26:00  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An interesting bit of trivia. MobileNavigator is currently a 2nd top grossing app in the AppStore. TomTom is 7. It's understandable with such expensive apps but that $1 AppBox Pro is 4th top grossing that's really mind blowing.

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 17 sept. 2009 :  14:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a press release I just got from Navigon regarding their live traffic option for their software. It's reasonably priced at $25, with a $20 introduction. They are certainly taking the lead so far. I saw them at a press event in NY yesterday and they are re-opening their PR office in Chicago in the next couple of months, so it looks as if they are still committed to the US market, but just in a different form.

quote:
NAVIGON AG, the leading innovator in the navigation market, today announced live traffic capabilities for its iPhone navigation app. The feature, Traffic Live, will be available in October for the North American version of the MobileNavigator for the iPhone. It utilizes real-time traffic information as well as historic data to calculate better routes that avoid congestion and get drivers to their destination faster.

“By including real-time speed data from drivers on the road, we are adding a next generation traffic service to our app that goes beyond traditional traffic functions which work with radio transmitted messages only. This is clearly raising the bar for iPhone GPS applications,” said Gerhard Mayr, Vice-President Worldwide Mobile Phones & New Markets at NAVIGON. “Providing the driver instantaneous traffic conditions, and offering efficient, alternative routes to the congestion, saves time, fuel and money. The ability to know and navigate around gridlock is a crucial function and we are thrilled to be the first major GPS company to announce this critical, and sought after service for an iPhone navigation app at a flat fee.”

NAVIGON’s new Traffic Live provides the most precise traffic information available today. It uses real-time speed data from over one million drivers across North America including commercial fleets such as trucks and taxis but also regular drivers with a GPS system. So if for example several vehicles on a road report slow speed, the system recognizes congestion and provides an alternate and faster route. The feature also uses an intelligent fusion of information from traffic cameras, speed sensors and conventional traffic messages coming through a radio network. In addition, the system includes historic traffic data to assist with the prediction of road conditions when calculating a route. This includes information about traffic conditions on certain holidays or yearly events, allowing the driver to avoid taking routes that traditionally are congested on a regular basis.

Feature integration into the MobileNavigator is seamless and the functionality is easy to use.

The software automatically includes the traffic information when calculating a route, and users receive immediate on-screen alerts via iconic warnings indicating new incidents and congestion along the current route. The NAVIGON MobileNavigator provides detailed information regarding the severity of the incident and the speed of traffic flow. Based on the real-time traffic warnings and the excellent mapping functionality the user can determine an efficient, alternative route or stay on the course. The software automatically adjusts estimated time of arrival.

NAVIGON Traffic Live will be available as an In App Purchase for $24.99. Users can add the service directly within the MobileNavigator app. For the first four weeks, it will be available for an introductory price of $19.99. After the one-time purchase, users have the service available with no month-to-month service fees[1].

Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2009 :  13:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! I'll purchase this service as soon as it is available.

I am currently using Navigon in Germany and I have been surprised by how well TTS works even for German street names. It pronounces everything pretty clearly.

One thing I haven't found out how to do is how to set the device to use a different language. Right now all instructions are in English. I don't know if there is some way to get the app to speak everything in German (especially since Navigon is a German company!). It's no big deal for me, but I'd like to know this piece of trivia.

Another useful feature I found is the availability of safety cameras. I had to turn them on (they were off by default) in the Options screen, under General, and it pointed out several in the routes I've taken. This is an extra cost feature for TomTom. I had to pay something on the order of 40 or 50 Euros to get a yearly subscription. What I don't know is how Navigon updates its database. I got regular updates through TomTom Home when I had a subscription for traffic and safety cameras.

One thing that TomTom did better was to hold on to the street it was on. This may be related to the GPS hardware rather than the application, though. I'm not sure as there is also a software component to filtering out position error in the GPS signal. When I'm driving on a highway and there's a road close by, the car symbol sometimes jumps off to the road. This happened occasionally with TomTom on Windows Mobile, but it happens much more often with Navigon on the iPhone.

Yesterday on the Autobahn there were also instances where the car symbol would momentarily turn around 180 degrees, as if I was traveling in the opposite direction. It didn't cause a re-reoute, because it was so brief, but I never saw TomTom or Garmin Mobile XT do anything like that.

All in all, I'm still happy with Navigon and I am glad I gave it a try. The user interface is easy to use, and features like TTS, lane assist, traffic and safety cameras are not even announced for TomTom yet.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05