Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] Navigon for iPhone / iPad - Testing - v1.8
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

motif1

14 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2010 :  10:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NAVIGON TESTING BY NEW IPHONE USER

Thanks for your feedback. I tested the Navigon more in driving mode, and you're right that I was perhaps too harsh before in my opinion. My impressions in the last post were based mostly on pedestrian mode. I think pedestrian is where Navigon falls down because screen links are not live, so you can't push the icon to ask what is that street named, or what is that POI. In Copilot you can, and apparently also in Sygic. (One aside, I think Copilot uses their proprietary maps in US but good ones like Teleatlas in Europe).

But for driving, the Navigon navigation is easy to follow, fluid graphics, and great TTS. In Paris it says the names of even little streets, with good native speaker (not robot) pronunciation. GREAT. It loses signal more often than my winmo phone with SirfstarIII chip, of course, but this is a general iPhone problem.

A minus of Navigon is still the poor advance route planning. I could maybe live with having to scroll along the advance route map to see the roads, but why why is it not possible to get an advance estimate of driving time? I use this all the time, and as far as I see, not possible in Navigon.

I also don't really like the static picture of exits or in tunnels. You can't see the route map anymore for the time that the static image displays. Copilot and I think Sygic use an overlay of route signs, this could be better.

So overall I would say for Navigon
PRO - great driving mode, easy to follow
great TTS directions
CON - not as great for walking mode because map icons (street name, POI) are not clickable, therefore too fiddly to get realtime information while walking
advance route planning has no travel time estimate
only one default voice

If I needed only driving mode I would probably just stick with Navigon and figure none of them are perfect. But I use pedestrian mode a lot, and it is not even as good as Copilot IMO for walking. I think I'll try out Sygic & see if it suits me better.
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2010 :  15:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the static picture of exits and tunnels, just tap on it and it goes away. You don't have to wait until it disappears on its own.
Go to Top of Page

motif1

14 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2010 :  16:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool about tapping to close the static view, I didn't notice that.[ed - see PM]
Go to Top of Page

shocklin

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01 juin 2010 :  08:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"advance route planning has no travel time estimate"
Sure it does:
1. "Calculate Route"
2. "More"
3. "Details" You will see the point by point times and distances.

Shocklin
Go to Top of Page

motif1

14 Posts

Posted - 01 juin 2010 :  13:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks shocklin. In fact, I just learned this morning and came on here to post that Navigon DOES have travel time and distance estimates. It was hard to believe that it didn't, but I couldn't find it. But after planning and calculating an itinerary you go to Autres>MyRoutes and it shows the map of the entire itinerary for 3 proposed routes, with distance and travel time. That's good to find.

So some of my complaints about Navigon on iPhone have evaporated as I get to know it better. I still don't find it great for pedestrian mode, where you want to tap a street or POI icon and get information about it. Navigon does not have any map or mode that lets you do this, as far as I see. By comparison, Sygic using the navigation mode is the same (not tappable), but in the "map" or "route" map modes, the route and moving current position arrow are shown, but all items on the screen are tappable to give pop-up information. I find live interactive maps much better for navigating by foot in a city than the Navigon way of dead maps.

Navigon may be better than Sygic for car driving, at least because of complete TTS in Europe (in pedestrian mode you don't want or need verbal commands). However, I might think that Sygic would be the best overall program if driving navigation is roughly equivalent to Navigon (minus TTS) and pedestrian is better. But this morning I found a potential problem with Sygic for driving that could be bad, unless I did something wrong: locations 200km apart that it couldn't calculate because "waypoints too far apart". I'll ask that question over at the Sygic forum. (EDIT - My problem, I discovered I had the Sygic program set in pedestrian mode, so in driving mode long routes are calculated OK. Now we know, just don't try to navigate the entire route of Saint-Jacques-de-Compostelle on your iPhone. He probably used a better GPS phone...).

Edited by - motif1 on 02 juin 2010 10:35:26
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2010 :  01:57:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New v1.6 update announced to make good use of the new "backgrounding" feature of iOS 4, here is a YouTube vide that explains what's new and improved : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35UuWv6JRYg

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 03 juil. 2010 :  20:50:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A nice guide here : [GUIDE] Changing Car Icons on Navigon for iPhone by jayzsport ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Madturk

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2010 :  21:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Central NA version of Navigon for the Iphone. I see that is still version 1.0. I would really like to see the "backgrounding" for iOS4 be implemented. Is it for the Full NA and other regions? just not the 'partial' map regions?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2010 :  23:46:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should be able to update to v1.5, maps are not new though, that should come with v1.6 the version that will bring "backgrounding".

Go to Top of Page

Madturk

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  17:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting - no updates via itunes or the iphone. Still on 1.0.
Go to Top of Page

nuvi350fan

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2010 :  23:30:14  Show Profile  Visit nuvi350fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have posted an overview comparison of 3 navigation i use now a days. i find iphone navigon is very good for most tasks esp with multitasking in 4.0 : http://amimu.blogspot.com/2010/07/navigationgarmin-nuvi-nexus-one-google.html
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2010 :  12:55:15  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work.

Navigon v1.60 now available via iTunes, new maps at last !

Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2010 :  17:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an excerpt from the Navigon press release about what is new in v1.6. The new parking feature looks interesting.
quote:
In the latest update, we not only added new driving related features such as Weather Live and Clever Parking but also improved the way information is presented in our new Destination Information Display.#148;

Live Weather updates and reports current weather conditions along the route and at the destination in real-time. Ensuring no unpleasant surprises, temperature and weather condition icons appear in the route overview screen before and during navigation. With only a tap a detailed three-day forecast is available. NAVIGON MobileNavigator is the first iPhone navigation app to include a Clever Parking feature, giving drivers the advantage of knowing where and what the best parking options are available around the upcoming location. When approaching the destination, a #147;P#148; icon appears in the map view. In one tap an easy to scroll list of all available parking options are available, including distance from location for easy decision-making. The Destination Information Display provides an at-a-glance overview and summary of information pertaining to the destination. Users can customize what is shown in settings/options, such as parking locations, weather information and specific POI#146;s such as all the restaurants at around the upcoming destination. This delivers an overview of everything important ahead of time, so they know what to expect and where to go when arriving.

Compatible with iOS 4, update 1.6.0 includes the much anticipated multitasking* compatibility, which provides continuous navigation and turn-by-turn directions while running other applications simultaneously. Users can, take a call without sacrificing navigation. While on the go, and receiving a call, the voice guided turn-by-turn directions automatically turn down, heard only by the driver and one tap lets the screen continue routing and navigation information in the map mode. MobileNavigator runs in the background when accessing other apps and functionalities of the iPhone, so the app can continue to automatically calculate and update routing information and provide voice guided turn-by-turn directions. When switching back to MobileNavigator, the user picks up exactly the place where left. The update also includes enhanced Retina display buttons and icons for the iPhone 4.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

the-uki

France
9 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2010 :  18:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One big drawback is that you can't change the spoken language to be different from the one your iphone is set to. There are multi-lingual people in this world, and changing the spoken language is of particular importance for example, if you are English using an English language setting but driving in France - the pronounciation of the street names will be much better if you switch the Navigon spoken language to French. This is one reason why people are chosing Tomtom instead of Navigon.
Other topic - also agreed the advanced planning is not as end-user friendly on Navigon as it is on Tomtom, where you access the feature with just one tap.

Go to Top of Page

GarySN

1 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2010 :  15:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shocklin

"advance route planning has no travel time estimate"
Sure it does:
1. "Calculate Route"
2. "More"
3. "Details" You will see the point by point times and distances.

I'm running 1.6, and there is no "Details" option after tapping "More". Has the feature been removed, or simply moved elsewhere?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05