Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2216

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] Navigon for iPhone / iPad - Testing - v1.8
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2009 :  00:04:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TESTING - NAVIGON FOR IPHONE
Traffic (optional) - Google Local (v1.4+) - Roadsigns
v1.6 : MyRoutes - Facebook+Twitter - Panorama View Option ($10)
v1.7 : Optimized for the iPad (full screen)

Product page on the Navigon site : >> LINK <<

UPDATED 20110414 : v1.80 now available, new maps, Reality Scanner, TrafficCheck, see details on page 16.

UPDATED 20101217 : v1.70 now available, iPad in HD, see details on page 14.

UPDATED 2010709 : Navigon iPhone v1.60 is now available, with new maps.
UPDATED 20100329 : v1.5 is now available via the Appstore with available with : MyRoutes - Facebook+Twitter - Panorama View Option ($10)
UPDATED 20091205 : v1.4 is available with the addition of Google Local as well as other new features see details on page 9.
UPDATED 20091109 : v1.3 is available with the optional traffic module, details on page 8.
POSTED 20090629 - Navigon MobileNavigator for the iPhone 3G and 3GS is now available on the Appstore for €75 with maps of Europe weighing 1.7Gb. It's likely a US version will soon follow as Navigon have recently updated their PND maps to the Q2/2009 FreshMaps (Navteq Q4/2008) even though they are not currently active on the PND market.

My first test runs show this first "turn by turn" navigation solution for the iPhone works well, with a smooth map display and Navigon's typical advanced map rendering that makes the competition look "basic". No "terrain view" as on the 8110 though but the graphics are similar to those of the new 7310 and 8310 PNDs. Route calculations are quite fast too, only route recalculation can be a bit long and it doens't seem the iPhone's oft criticized GPS performance is the cause of this, at least not directly, as I was being tracked on the correct street, just not given a new route to destination fast enough. If you do lose your way in town it might be best to stop for a new route...not something we're used to doing anymore with our powerful PNDs.

This would be my general complaint about the iPhone version of Navigon, it's a competent but limited navigation solution compared to what we've been getting on Windows Mobile devices for years and of course on PNDs. No trip planning, no traffic information (seems like a natural on a connected device like the iPhone though !), no Speedcam alerts or custom POIs, no TTS (Text to Speech), etc...

Here is an overview of the current limitations :
- No traffic information, not good for a connected device that gives you traffic informaion for free on the Google Maps applet
- No Speedcam alerts
- No custom POIs, and it's unlikely POI-Warner or POI:Observer can be adapted for the iPhone in light of its lack of multitasking
- No route list
- No TTS with full street names.
- No trip planning, a usual forte of the Navigon software
- No terrain view like on the 8110, 7310 or 8310.

Call Handling :
- phone rings -> pop-up : call not taken, you go back to the map
- phone rings -> pop-up : call taken -> standard phone screen, end of conversation, Navigon restarts automatically (meaning it had closed down), navigation resumes.
- To make a call, you need to press on the iPhone's only hardware button, i.e. "Home", make your call and then restart Navigon manually and navigation will resume where you left it.

First conclusions : Overall this looks more like a working technology demo than a full blown navigation solution of the caliber we're accustomed to on AIOs or Windows Mobile devices. It's likely Navigon rushed the software to market to be the first and this has served them well based on Appstore numbers, so hopefully they'll add features down the road (for free or for pay ?) but the phone call handling issues seem to be specific to the iPhone platform...Let's stay tuned for more

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2009 :  00:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to a comparison with TomTom once it is released! I am in the market for an iPhone navigation app. I have TomTom for Windows Mobile and would be happy if the iPhone version has at least the same functionality. Navigon was also on my list so I appreciate your report.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2009 :  00:50:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, we'll have to wait to see what TomTom can do, but based on the demo at WWDC2009 (link in the 3GS topic) it seems it might be quite limited too and the phone call handling is likely going to be a problem too.

I'm hoping Navigon will quickly improve the feature set to get closer to what we get on WM and AIOs, Traffic is clearly a must, but even if they do, will it be for free...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2009 :  19:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the TomTom application arrives, we might have a better idea as to whether some of these limitations are a result of the software itself or restrictions imposed by Apple and their SDK. I have been briefly playing with the Gokivo application (no onboard maps) which, while having some of the issues mentioned above plus some others of it's own, does have TTS with street names and traffic. Gokivo also allows for contact list integration and playing music from within.

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2009 :  20:09:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's probably a mix of the two, TTS wouldn't be a limitation of the iPhone though, could you start a topic on Gokivo to share your thoughts on it briefly ?

Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 01 juil. 2009 :  05:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do. Am making a few notes now and will post as soon as they are "coherent."

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2009 :  21:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See my mini-review of AT&T Navigator. In an otherwise disappointing application, the Telenav software has excellent TTS and does street names very well, so it's clearly not an iPhone limitation.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 05 juil. 2009 :  16:02:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, not very exciting either...added a comment over there.

Another iPhone related problem when I did some testing in Paris on Friday, the GPS performance is ok on the motorway but it just can't keep up in dense urban areas, case in point, it can take several seconds for the position to be updated after a turn, this is not pleasant if you're not sure you made the correct move...

Go to Top of Page

way

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2009 :  01:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took the plunge and purchased Sygic's Mobile Maps America from App Store; will post my initial thoughts once I have played with it. Interesting that these "first generation" TBT applications on iPhone all seem to be sub-par compared to other platforms; each vendor seems to have chosen to "de-tune" their application in different areas.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2009 :  01:48:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually Sygic has the same feature set on the iPhone as on Windows Mobile except it doesn't have the usual iPhone interface (scroll, multi-touch, pop-up keyboard, etc..).

In any case, please start a new topic as this one is dedicated to Navigon ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2009 :  01:26:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Still no news for a US version, but Navigon have announced a free update for the European version, notably with the addition of trip planning.

As a side note, "way" has kindly posted his first impressions on Sygic Mobile Maps here : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127795 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2009 :  14:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Austrian site www.BenM.at is reporting that Navigon is offering a free Lite version of this application with German, Austrian, Swiss and Lichtenstein maps. One of the limitations is that it does not provide active GPS-based route guidance. I tried to get it (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320272051&mt=8) but iTunes tells me it is not available from the US iTunes store. The full version with this limited mapset costs 49.99 Euro.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2009 :  15:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got an email from Navigon saying that the "light" version is now available in the US. Here's the text:

I wanted to let you know that the LITE version of the NAVIGON MobileNavigator for the iPhone (North America) is now available in the App Store. This version is for free and also runs on iPod Touch devices. It has no active route guidance, but it is equipped with the latest map material and the capability of displaying nearby POIs (points of interest).

The LITE version can also simulate the full version which will include active route guidance and many of NAVIGON’ hallmark features. We expect the latter to go live soon, and I will let you know immediately. text:

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2009 :  00:27:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure what they mean by "simulate", a demo mode ?

Anyway here is the iTunes link for the USA "LITE" version for those who want try it : http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=321509945&mt=8 - fast connection only as it weighs in at 1.3GB, like the European version.

Go to Top of Page

Adelscott

France
19 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2009 :  02:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi !
I bought Navigon because the only thing that made me buy an iPhone for the first time was the opportunity to have a nice GPS Navigation Software on a quite wonderfull phone and get rid of my PPC.
After using it in Paris yesterday, I must admit that you can't decently use it in difficult urban areas while at the same time my Loox720 (4 years old I think!) with a HOLUX M1000 (chipset MTK) was running Tomtom 6 with POIs wonderfully.
It would be great if we could use an external GPS receiver like the M1000 with the iPhone.

(My iPhone is a 3GS 32Gb)
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2009 :  04:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The full app has just been released here in the US. Here is an excerpt from the press release I just got from Navigon:

quote:
The map display, for example, switches automatically from­ portrait to landscape view as soon as the iPhone is turned 90 degrees. There is also the option of navigating directly to an address from saved contacts. If the iPhone is used for talking on the phone during navigation, the software resumes automatically after the call has ended. Furthermore, the multi touch function of the iPhone is integrated into the app and allows users to easily zoom in and out the map view with two fingers.

The NAVIGON solution sells for $99.99 and is equipped with maps of North America from NAVTEQ®. It will be available for a promotional price of $69.99 until August 15.

Key features of the NAVIGON MobileNavigator for the iPhone:

* Reality View™ Pro displays photo-realistic 3D views with actual road signs and lane guidance for virtually every highway interchange and exit drivers will encounter.
* Lane Assistant Pro helps drivers prepare to make an upcoming exit or turn by providing a lane map complete with arrows and actual road geometry.
* Speed Assistant with adjustable audio-visual warning.
* Day & Night Mode for map display.
* Direct Access allows navigation to contacts saved in the iPhone's address book.
* Branded POIs and POIs along the route
* 2D and 3D map view.
* Automatic switch between portrait and landscape format.
* Intelligent address entry.
* Real signpost display.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05