Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [ALERT] nuvi 755/765 Died Today - v3.60 SW Fix
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  03:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOTE BY GPSPASSION 20090624 - 3:00 PM PST : Garmin have just made the v3.60 software available via the WebUpdater to fix this "dead GPS" problem. This will only help those who can still power on their 7x5 GPS, others will have to send it in to Garmin with a quoted 15 day turnaround. As a side note some revived their unit by opening it following this YouTube video and disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds, but be advised that this is a risky operation that requires a Torx 5 screwdriver and voids the warranty.

NOTE BY GPSPASSION 20090623 - 7:15 AM PST : Late last night we started getting reports in the forums that Garmin nuvi 765 systems were failing (and now 755s too). The scenario being : a pop-up saying a GPS update was being rolled out and then the nuvi powering off and refusing to power on again !

It is not known at this point what might be causing this, but the recent and temporary failure of the Omnitech GPS and acknowledgment by Rockwell Collins that there is a bug in some GPS receivers they built that would cause a date problem after June 20th 2009, could indicate that a scheduled fix for the 765's MTK GPS Chipset went wrong...Garmin are asking people to RMA their dead units so there is apparently no easy fix, but in case you own a 765 that hasn't gone bad, you can try renaming the GPS update files as this has spared SergZak's 765 it seems

All was fine with my 765T until today. While driving home from work all of a sudden I get a pop up about some GPS update. For the next five minutes the display alternates between acquiring satellites and GPS update. I thought cool another update. Then the Nuvi just died. I cannot power it on anymore either in the mount or from my PC. Well long story short I called tech support and got an RMA. Bummer

Ads

daveo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  03:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had the same happen to me. I was on the last leg of a long trip. Was trying to find somewhere to eat. I had been getting update messages on an off, and got one, then sats, then I reset it and all was fine, then poof it died. I had my 680 in the trunk and stopped and changed over. Will call Garmin tomorrow. I have a 755T.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this isn't a bigger problem. My Nuvi was rock solid, I never had a problem with it. It was running the latest code, which kind of surprised me when it said GPS updating. I haven't plugged it into my PC in a few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

dml

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 785T that died this afternoon also. I powered it up and it didn't acquire any satellites, then I got several instances of the "GPS Update Complete" dialog box. I finally decided to power it off and try it again, but it never turned back on. Seems like more than a coincidence that this same thing happened to several units on the same day in the same way.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is not dead but I had the exact same issue today as well with the "Updating GPS software" message. A few power cycles and cradle connects/disconnects and it seems OK now...*very* odd. I also did a hard reset so that may have done something also.

EDIT: No dice. It happened again on the way home from work. Maybe there is a GPS chipset update pending release. I seem to recall a new GPS Chipset Type M (MediaTek) being released for one of the hand-held units but cannot be sure. The MediaTek GPS Chipset is the same one used in the 7x5 series ans well as some 7x0 series units.

Regardless, the nuvi is updating the GPS Chipset when it's already at the "current" version.

For testing/debugging purposes, I am renaming the GPS chipset update file on the nuvi temporarily to something else to see if this alleviates the problem. If the update file is not seen by the nuvi, perhaps no update will try to take place. The files are:

x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.GCD
x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.bin

Rename the two to something the nuvi won't be looking for such as:

006B073300.GCD.disabled
006B073300.bin.disabled

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 23 juin 2009 04:53:26
Go to Top of Page

bluediamond

2 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 755T updated and then immediately shut off around 6pm Eastern time and I am unable to get it to come back on.Not a good week for me and electronics.First my iPhone died,then my satellite radio and now my Nuvi.Hope there is a simple fix.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was having the issue with chipset updates. I checked for updates before I left on vacation. Nada. I will try tomorrow to power the unit up. This is truly strange and I have had 3 Nuvis and a SP3.

Bluediamond that would be about the time mine cut off. I was looking for a place for dinner.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect

Edited by - daveo on 23 juin 2009 04:57:13
Go to Top of Page

dml

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't get mine to power back on no matter what I try. I've tried numerous soft resets (holding the power switch on for 15 sec) and also connecting / disconnecting it from a USB cable. I've heard there is a reset button somewhere on these things, but I can't seem to find it in the manual or on the unit. So SergZak, can you actually get yours to power up and be visible via the USB connection?
Go to Top of Page

alandb

483 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  05:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 755T had the problem at about that same time ... 5 PM CDT. I think I will not use mine tomorrow until Garmin or someone gets a handle on this problem. I don't want mine to die like dml and vonhasch

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra
Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  05:11:09  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 755 had the same problem today at around 6:30PST. There was the GPS Update message, and it could no longer track any satellites

Nuvi 755, Subaru Legacy GT wagon
http://www.visualvalhalla.com/
Go to Top of Page

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  05:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how it can be prevented. I haven't had my Nuvi plugged into a computer in weeks. Just turning it on and acquiring satellites killed it. Garmin tech support told me you can't get a GPS update this way. I also have MSN direct and I guess you can get updates through it.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  05:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine still powers up and works, on battery, on the cradle and using PC USB. I was still getting the "updating the GPS firmware" periodically, then no GPS reception. Each time this happened, I unplugged the power adapter from the socket, plugged it back in and it worked until the next instance (maybe five minutes after being reconnected). As per my previous post above, I have disabled the actual GPS firmware update files on the nuvi to see if that is the cause. In addition, I have reflashed the same firmware version on the unit. See post above for instructions (if you can still power your unit on).

Edited by - SergZak on 23 juin 2009 05:39:13
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  06:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened to my 765t today on my way home as well. Saw some kind of updating message and the screen suddenly turned off. It won't power back on now. I've tried all the different ways of resetting these Nuvis while plugged in and while unplugged. The thing won't power on anymore. Looks like I'll be giving Garmin a call tomorrow.

Edit:
I had the latest version of the 765t firmware installed along with all the latest voices. I also use MSN Direct.

Edited by - synomenon on 23 juin 2009 07:09:55
Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  06:37:41  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Powering up while tethered to a PC still works. I've forced a hard reset on my unit, and reinstalled the firmware. It has been running the last hour without losing GPS lock

Go to Top of Page

Jaker00

1 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  06:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 765t died tonight too!! (Second in five months)!!! I used it earlier today, and worked fine. This evening I have it inside...just running off battery (which had plenty of juice)... was entering in addresses to save as favorites for an upcoming trip on Wed., when I got a message pop-up and say updating GPS firmware..then update completed. It did this 5 or so times, then shutoff. I cannot power it on..I cannot hard-reset it...I plugged it into my beanbag mount in the truck, and normally it turns on automatically, but nothing!! FYI..I use the MSN receiver power adapter. I have had the latest firmware and the latest maps since they were released. I did not update the recent voice updates yet. This is a referb unit, because my first one died also. I am getting very frustrated and worried, because the referbs are only covered under warranty until the original 1 year warranty expires. This means another referb, and only 7 month warranty!! Calling Garmin in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  07:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is BAD, BAD, BAD Garmin! I don't know WTH is going on but I and a few others were lucky & managed to dodge the bullet on this nuvi killing issue. Why it happened on this day is beyond comprehension. Everybody who's had this issue, PLEASE report it to Garmin with an explanation of how it happened (unprovoked "updating GPS firmware"). If you have dodged the bullet, I HIGHLY recommend you disable the GPS firmware update files I mentioned above. After doing so & when you run WebUpdater, it will state that a "GPS Chipset Type M" update is available...just ignore it. Maybe this will prevent the problem from bricking more 7x5 series units.

Edited by - SergZak on 23 juin 2009 07:10:32
Go to Top of Page

dml

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  07:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I submitted a problem ticket tonight via the Garmin support website. I indicated in my problem description that some research on the internet suggests this is NOT an isolated incident. I'll see what they say and pass on any useful information...assuming they give me any.
Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  07:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who's really concerned that Garmin has placed code in our devices which can kill the devices on a specific date. So what's to prevent Garmin from "killing" all of our devices ten days after the warranty has expired?

There is no logical reason for Garmin to place a date-specific code in the device which forces an update on a specific date. I would really really like to hear why this was done.

(Unless Garmin releases a public statement explaining the cause of this problem I am done with Garmin)
Go to Top of Page

diaz425

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  08:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didnt get any pop up update. i had it on for 12 straight hours (1200pm to midnight). i have the 765.

Own - Nuvi 1390
Own - Nuvi 855

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  08:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just submitted an email to Garmin support describing what happened to me. I also included links to this thread and the thread over at GPSReview.net.

I'd advise all those affected to do the same.
Go to Top of Page

wstevens

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  08:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little before 8 pm ET on Monday, June 22, 2009 while driving in my car a message appeared on my 765T stating: "Updating GPS software". I waited until it was done and then pressed OK. The 765T then began "Searching for Satellites". I arrived at my destination with the 765T still "Searching for Satellites". I parked my car, turned off the 765T and went to my meeting.

About an hour later I got back into my car and the 765T would not power up. I have spent most of the evening trying to get the 765T to power up. I have plugged it into my computer via the USB cable. I have plugged it into the AC charger. I have held the on switch in the on position numerous times for 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 60 seconds. I've tried turning it on while pressing on the lower right corner of the screen. Nothing has worked.

The 765T will not power on.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

P.S. I do not have MSN.
Go to Top of Page

Hogster

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  10:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Hogster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that's brilliant isn't it .... my 765T died this morning too!!! I was just driving to work, then it suddenly started searching for satellites (with the car's last position still sitting on the screen) and then it turned off! I managed to turn it on a few times, and it was still trying to execute the route and find satellites .... finally when I got to work I tried turning it on again and no game What on earth happened during this past day that could have possibly made so many units crash?? Will call Garmin now ....

NOT happy .......

David

Edited by - Hogster on 23 juin 2009 10:33:16
Go to Top of Page

Hogster

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  10:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Hogster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spoke to Garmin and the chap I spoke to didn't know what caused the problem .... Sending the unit back tomorrow .... losing all my favourites from the UK and my trip to Germany and France in the past months .... I'm gutted

David
Go to Top of Page

wstevens

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  12:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is, and it is just speculation, is someone screwed up when writing the code for the firmware update, or someone inserted malicious code into the firmware update. Think Y2K bug or time bomb.

The question is, is the trigger the date, e.g. June 22, 2009? Or is the trigger the number of days since the firmware update was installed? Or something else? What is the common denominator?

I think Garmin has got to take a look at the origin of the problem and fix it, and not just replace units.

In any case, I think Garmin has a big problem on their hands, and replacing the 765T may not solve the problem for long. Update the firmware of your new replacement 765T and it dies again? Let's hope not.

I hope I'm wrong about all of this.

I don't think so many 765Ts failing in the same way at about the same time is just a random event. Too much coincidence.

Let's hope Garmin steps up and tells us what's going on!

I can only imagine how many other 765T owners had their units fail in the same way and we're not hearing about it because they don't know about this forum.

I'm waiting to hear back from Garmin.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  12:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a bit of info. My unit is still operational after this stink-bomb hit. After the initial problem with the "Updating GPS firmware" yesterday at about 5pm, I had the unit operating in my house hooked up to an extra cradle/GTM 20 being powered from a 12v DC 1A regulated power supply. I backdated to v2.50, then reflashed the v3.40 update again. I had it on for at least 3-4 hours after I did my procedure above. I was locked on with good satellite reception with NO issues.

When I left to work this morning @ 1am, all was fine. On the way to work (8 minute drive), satellite reception took a dump after about 4 minutes and my position froze. Satellite reception was zippo. I unplugged the GTM (did not power down the unit) and let the unit shut down due to loss of external power. I plugged the GTM back in and all was well the rest of the way in to work.

This *seems* to indicate that movement is required for this bomb to hit. Remember, I have renamed the GPS update files as above and did NOT receive the "Updating GPS firmware" message. I will see what happens on the way home. If it happens again, my next course of action will be to backdate the firmware to v2.50 & see it it resolves the issue.

Garmin has a BIG problem on their hands with this stinky time-bomb...

Edited by - SergZak on 23 juin 2009 13:04:12
Go to Top of Page

rcf64

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  13:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 755T did pretty much the same thing. Going to work yesterday morning (6/22) it worked fine. Going home in the afternoon around 4:00 pm eastern the unit displayed "GPS Update Complete" dialog box. It did not display any information that it was updating before that dialog box. When I acknowledged the pop-up, it went back to the map page and said acquiring satellites. However, it never acquired any. I tried hard resets and powering the unit on and off. It would work for a little while and then do the same thing (4-5 times on the way home from work). I haven't updated anything on the unit for over 6 weeks. It worked fine on a trip last week as well. Looks like Garmin has a major software problem on their hands. Looks like I'll be submitting a trouble ticket to them.

EDIT: I noticed that the satellite page is different when this happens. Normally when the GPS is starting up, the satellite page will show the satellites it is trying to locate. When this error happens and I view the satellite page, the sky view of the satellites that are supposed to be there is empty. It will never find satelites that aren't indexed. After either a soft power off/on or a reset, it starts up normally (but will crap out again some period of time later).

Nuvi 755T, GPS V
SC Pennsylvania

Edited by - rcf64 on 23 juin 2009 14:19:50
Go to Top of Page

wstevens

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  13:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think we all installed the new firmware on the same day. Maybe we did. It's possible.

My guess is this has to do with the date, June 22 and that every 765T that has the latest firmware will experience the problem.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds as the day progresses.

Anyone out there who didn't upgrade to the latest firmware experiencing the problem?

SergZak. Please let us know what happens when you downgrade your firmware to v2.50.

Let's hope Garmin gets a handle on this fast!
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  14:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something very strange is happening with the GPS systems... I've had my nuvi 770 for a year and a half now, using SW 4.8, and running without any problems--until today. I could not lock onto any satellites this morning during a 40 minute drive to work! A single satellite bar would appear for one or two satellites, but then it would vanish after a few seconds. It's very cloudy today, but yesterday was even worse until 7 PM EST, and there were no problems.

It's not only 765 units that bombed out today!--it may be a GPS system glitch...

--z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

DPACK4798

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  14:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same thing happen to my 755T. It started about 5:30 CDT on the 22nd. I submitted a ticket to Garmin support; we'll see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  14:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they have a lot of replacements and then what happens when I get the replacement and the same thing occurs? Lastly thank god the affected units are still under warranty. I hate to see what happens if (or when) this happens when all these units are out of warranty.
Go to Top of Page

rhombus

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  14:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 765 did the updating GPS firmware complete, then was stuck on acquiring satellites for ever. Power cycled it, had a sat lock right away, drove a few min, location froze (lost sats), reset again. Worked for 10min then shut off never to turn on again. Reset/Computer/ETC does not work.
Go to Top of Page

rhombus

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  15:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 765 did the updating GPS firmware complete, then was stuck on acquiring satellites for ever. Power cycled it, had a sat lock right away, drove a few min, location froze (lost sats), reset again. Worked for 10min then shut off never to turn on again. Reset/Computer/ETC does not work.
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  15:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if we are dealing with a GPS systemwide problem...

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/05/21/326855/carriers-could-face-gps-software-glitch-next-month.html

quote:
DATE:21/05/09
SOURCE:Air Transport Intelligence news
Carriers could face GPS software glitch next month
By John Croft

A software bug resident in a wide range of multi-mode GPS receivers (MMR) built by Rockwell Collins could cause datalink and other problems during the chronological transition from 20 to 21 June, cautions the European Aviation Safety Agency.

In a safety information bulletin (SIB) published 20 May, the regulator "strongly" recommended that operators with the units, which fly on practically all Boeing and Airbus models as well the Bombardier CRJ series, develop mitigation plans to deal with the potential problems, which were brought to EASA's attention by Rockwell Collins.

EASA says the error "may cause the MMR to compute a date that is 512 weeks or approximately 19.5 years in the past" unless the unit is powered on during the transition between the days (at 0000h GMT) or if an onboard source such as a flight management system or flight deck clock is set up to provide time to the MMR instead.

While the anomaly will not affect "position, integrity and time of day provided by the MMR," says EASA, it could prohibit the use of air traffic control datalink functions, result in incorrect date information on flight deck clocks, and possibly cause loss of maintenance and condition monitoring system data, as well as other anomalies.

Rockwell Collins says through the course of GPS system development and product regressiont tesing "our engineers discovered a minor software anomaly that affects the way the GPS receiver handles the date after June 20, 2009".

Stressing the anomaly does not in any way compromise navigation precision or integrity, the company adds: "We have been working closely with our customers and regulatory agencies to rapidly resolve this issue with minimal impact to our customers."
--z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  15:37:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is scary indeed and comes just a few days after the temporary failure on the Omnitech GPS systems -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=126935

The 7x5 nuvis use the MTK3318 chipset as explained here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=259 - did that GPS firmware update take it to v3.40 ? I don't have a 7x5 handy but I'll check my Colorado handheld that uses the same chipset.

@z.entropic - could you check with GPS chipset your 770 uses, some came with SiRFstarIII too.

If it's chipset related, potentially all the MTK based Garmins http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=259#mtk could have a problem and in the case of the 7x5 it seems to be "deadly" indeed with the system refusing to turn on again.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  15:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Nuvi 680 worked fine for the rest of the trip.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  15:48:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would confirm the chipset as being the source of the problem as the 680 (as well as all the 6x0 models) is SiRFstarIII based -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=259#ss3

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  15:50:38  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ SergZak:

I find only the .bin version of the files you mention, and of course this is on my 760, not 765. I opted not to mess, but wonder if you have an opinion about whether this bug may affect 7x0s too?

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  15:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

@z.entropic - could you check with GPS chipset your 770 uses, some came with SiRFstarIII too.

Just checked--my nuvi 770 is SiRFstar III, S/W 4.60, GPS ver 3.00s, SiRFInstantFixII (C)2008

Still not locking to any satellites, but other than that, no other problems

[edit] A moment ago, I took my GPSmap 60Cx, also based on the SiRFstarIII chip, outside--it locked onto 8 satellites in 20-30 seconds. So, it doesn't seem to be a general SiRFstarIII chip problem.

--z.entropic

P.S. Per your previous post, I fixed my e-mail address.

Edited by - z.entropic on 23 juin 2009 16:27:08
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  15:56:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, so there might be something more thant the chipset at play, have you turned off your 770 and let it get a fix outdoors ?

@danham - Which chipset does your 760 have ? If it's the SiRFstarIII chipset then probably not based on what we know at this point, i.e. related to the MTK chipset. Updated - well zentropic has a SS3 based 770 so, hum...

I upgraded my MTK based Colorado with WebUpdater and it's still using the v2.80m GPS firmware and it's getting a fix ok.

Go to Top of Page

FXDWG

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It did the same thing to both of my 765T's this morning. Only way to get them to turn back on is to take the bake off and unplug the battery for a few seconds. But when I turned it on again after a few mins it went into the updating firmware again and shut down. I have placed a trouble ticket with them and also tried to call them. They are getting a lot of calls and the wait time was over 30mins!!

Zumo 550 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 775 x2
Go to Top of Page

MickePro

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also my 765T died this morning. Have filed a report to Garmin.

/Micke...
Go to Top of Page

othersteve

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

My chipset in my 755T received last week reads:

3.40 nuvi 755 V8 4GB P1 S3 330MHz.

I have updated but have yet to experience the issue.

Is this a SiRF chipset? I'm trying to dig up more possible correlations to make more sense of this situation.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:21:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FXDWG

It did the same thing to both of my 765T's this morning. Only way to get them to turn back on is to take the bake off and unplug the battery for a few seconds. But when I turned it on again after a few mins it went into the updating firmware again and shut down. I have placed a trouble ticket with them and also tried to call them. They are getting a lot of calls and the wait time was over 30mins!!
It seems yours haven't gone completely bad. Try SergZak's trick to see if you can stop the update process and get them to stay on :
quote:

006B073300.GCD.disabled
006B073300.bin.disabled

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on hold right now on the phone. It says that there's an "unusually high call volume" and that the wait time is at least 30 minutes. If the replacement is going to take more than a week to receive, do you think they'd be able to send me a different model? I really need a working GPS unit for my trip this coming weekend.
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:26:28  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine reports SiRFInstantFixII and GPS SW version 3.00s

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

Kflint

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:28:33  Show Profile  Visit Kflint's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm having a similar problem with a 2 month old 755t. It stopped locking on to satellite signals last night. This morning it won't turn on, docked, undocked or hooked to a computer. Very weird. I'm on hold with Garmin now. The phone message is saying that, due to heavy call volumes, the wait is more than 30 minutes.

KJF
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:31:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's add the 755 to the list then :-(

@danham - No MTK then, if that's got anything to do with it, so it seems you're safe.

@all - I put a write-up on the portal http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=743 (added to the first message here too) and in the process got to thinking that it could be an update to fix that date problem that had been scheduled on the 7x5 units that had gone wrong. If memory serves Rockwell Collins hold many GPS patents and MTK (and SiRF ?) may have used one of them for their software.

Let's see if FXDWG can stop the update process by renaming the files.

Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I posted in an update above, my 60Cx with SS3 works just fine. Also, as gpspassion has suggested, I took the 770 outside, but still no luck--everything is fine except for no satellite lock, even after a hard reset and clearing of all user data...

--z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:38:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you also get a "GPS Updating" pop-up on your 770 ?

Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  16:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I never saw the message--but now I've got a dead brick! The unit will not turn on when connected to a USB port or react to the switch.

The 60Cx is humming along next to the apparently dead 770...

Must be DPRK disabling our defenses!

--z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

Kflint

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:00:54  Show Profile  Visit Kflint's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I've now been on hold with Garmin for an hour, with no indication of how much longer it will be. I'm getting tired of their on-hold music.

KJF

Edited by - Kflint on 23 juin 2009 17:03:03
Go to Top of Page

bratvas

31 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anybody tell where the files i need to rename stored? I had the same problem starting yesterday at about 4:20 pm, but after 2 soft resets unit was operating properly.

update : OK,Sorry, found files. Testing now.
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the phone now. The person I'm talking to doesn't seem to know about this issue and doesn't seem to care. Anyone have a direct line to someone at Garmin that can actually get something done?
Go to Top of Page

propaneman

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also like to thank the tech. support guy that I reached at Garmin that informed me that the issue probably was a dead battery even after I informed him that many users were having the same issue. His response to that... i doubt it. UGHHHHHH!!!!
Go to Top of Page

FXDWG

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by FXDWG

It seems yours haven't gone completely bad. Try SergZak's trick to see if you can stop the update process and get them to stay on :
quote:

006B073300.GCD.disabled
006B073300.bin.disabled

I renamed the files as Serg did and it has been running for over 30 mins now. We will see how it goes tomorrow on the way to work.

Edited by - FXDWG on 23 juin 2009 17:38:05
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The customer service person I spoke with wanted me to send the unit in and she would have a replacement sent out to me. She said it would take two weeks. I asked her if I could speak to someone that could speed up the process and she transferred me to a manager's voice mail. Left a message about the problem and this thread on GPSPassion and the thread at the other website.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:25:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@FXDWG - sounds good, I looked at my 760 and I'm seeing two small screws, is that all that needs to be unscrewed ? Would you say it's difficult to do what you did, i.e. remove the back and unplug the battery to get it to boot again, albeit in a loop, but it seems we've fixed that looping problem now.

Go to Top of Page

othersteve

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea if there's anything we should be doing if our unit has not yet experienced the bug? I'm afraid to use it, but I'm going on a 2-week driving trip around the entire nation in just a week and a half, so it's imperative that I get this straightened out before then!

Steve
Go to Top of Page

FXDWG

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

@FXDWG - sounds good, I looked at my 760 and I'm seeing two small screws, is that all that needs to be unscrewed ? Would you say it's difficult to do what you did, i.e. remove the back and unplug the battery to get it to boot again, albeit in a loop, but it seems we've fixed that looping problem now.

Here is the video I watched to find out how to remove the back. I had to use a T-5 torx screw driver for the screws.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXzsi9Ures

After watching the video you will see it is real easy. I unplugged mine for 30secs and then re-plugged the battery.

Edited by - FXDWG on 23 juin 2009 17:32:39
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:31:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oops, looks like the link to the video didn't make it. So before you unplugged the battery yours was refusig to power up too?

@othersteve - Yes -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=743 read the end, that's what we got FXDWG to do and it's worked for him so far.

Go to Top of Page

bratvas

31 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 10 minites the unit just bricked out .Cant turn it on.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:39:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
10 minutes of what ? Be more specific as to what you did exactly and saw.

Go to Top of Page

wstevens

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right about now the tech folks at Garmin are running around trying to figure out how to fix the problem.

The executives at Garmin right about now should be working on spreadsheets to figure out how much it will cost to send everyone who has a defective unit a brand new unit at no charge so as to turn those customers into happy customers and to avoid very bad publicity and its costs, compared to the cost of defending multiple lawsuits and possible class action lawsuits.

Let's give them some time (72 hours, one week?) and see what each group at Garmin comes up with.
Go to Top of Page

propaneman

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  17:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok... Just got my dead unit back on, it's working again and I have not seen that "GPS Update Message Of Death" yet. Here is what I did..... I have a 785T.

1) Did the battery pull (unplugged the battery cord from the Garmin for 30 seconds and then plugged it back in)

2) Garmin will start up BUT the message of death will reappear and Garmin will search for satellites

3) I then took the Garmin and hooked it back up to the car charger and did a hard reset. The unit started up, found my location and have yet to see the message after 15 minutes.

I will keep the forum updated.
Go to Top of Page

bratvas

31 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After renaming suggestet files unit powered on normally,run for 10 minutes with good lock. Calculated route, then in 10 minutes lost satellites without any message. I shut it of, restarted, it worked for 10 more minutes, than just shut off . Cant revive it since.
Go to Top of Page

Hogster

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Hogster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VERY interesting find propaneman ... If this does indeed cure the problem, it would be much better than having to send it back to Garmin! Although if it breaks again, will Garmin know that the unit has been opened? ...

Thanks for sharing your findings

David
Go to Top of Page

thewonderdrummer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just adding to the list of those with 765T's acting up. My 765T functioned great yesterday evening at 5:45pm (PST, June 22, 2009), and only had the issue occur this morning (June 23, 2009) at 7:40am (PST), exactly as everyone else has described... got the GPS Firmware update screen, then pressed OK, then the unit was searching for satellites for 3+ minutes, at which point I turned off the car, and went into my office. Fearing something might be wrong, I later went out to my car, brought the unit into my office and tried connecting via USB and power adapter, but to the same results as everyone else... a non-functioning brick of a GPS unit.

I've now been on hold for 26 minutes with Garmin support attempting to get an RMA for the unit, as I'm also taking a long trip next week and am in need of a GPS unit.

Like everyone else, I'm a little frustrated at this situation, and will post my results, if I hear anything from Garmin.

Thanks to everyone taking their time to post what information they're received/found/heard! It is MOST helpful!

k.c. "the wonder drummer"
Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add another to the list. My 755T is now a brick. I did not notice a message pop up, but I wasn't staring at the screen while I was driving. Left work about 6:00 last night, and noticed the screen went black before I even made it a few blocks past my office. My car is in a garage all day and not the least bit hot, thought it might be the charger. Tried to turn in back on nothing. Plugged it into my computer when I got home, nothing. Still not powering on today. I have called Garmin and have been on hold for 1 hour and 26 minutes so far. This is very frustrating. I will be moving in less than a month, so I hope it doesn't take that long to ship a new unit to me. Hope to hear about a fix very soon.
Go to Top of Page

alan sh

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the UK. I've just read this. My 765T hasn't been on today. So, I plugged it into the PC and renamed those two files mentioned. Unplugged it and switched it off. Then I went outside and turned it on. It found satellites. I then planned a route. As it finished the planning, it said "lost satellite reception". Now it has no satellites at all. I waited a couple of minutes and then switched it off.

So, similar to the others - but it's not dead. I'll wait a day or so and see if a proper fix can be found.

EDIT: I went outside again and turned it on. Found sattelites again. Planned a new route. Satellites disappeared. Ahah - maybe it's that? Switched it off. Switched it on. Found the satellites. Cleared the route and planned a new one. All OK. Did it again. All OK. Now I can't "break" it. So I have no idea what's going on.

Alan

Edited by - alan sh on 23 juin 2009 18:45:42
Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
propaneman & others - I would strongly advise against opening your units. Because doing so voids your warranty. So if something else goes wrong Garmin could theoretically refuse to replace/fix your unit. Of course Garmin probably won't be able to even tell that you opened the unit, but why take the chance!

Right now Garmin is entirely responsible for resolving this problem. Don't give them any excuses to blame the problem on you.
Go to Top of Page

propaneman

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE

Ok… Here is something interesting

My unit worked fine for 15 minutes and then the “GPS update screen of death” appeared. I went into the tools, system, and about and software versions. The GPS version read 0.0.0 while all others had their corresponding numbers listed (2.40, 3.40 and 2.30). When I did another hard reset while the unit was plugged in the unit came back up again and the GPS version was reading 2.80.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:50:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You didn't say if you had renamed the GPS update files as per http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127184#877186 ?

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPSPassion may have hit on the issue. The latest news from Garmin is that they suspect the MTK chip/software may be the problem. Not definitive yet. No mention of v8 7x5's being affected.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 23 juin 2009 18:54:47
Go to Top of Page

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the Marine GPS systems don't utilize the same chipset.
Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:56:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still haven't heard anything from Garmin. Have have been on hold for 1 hour and 58 minutes now and have yet to hear a real person's voice.
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  18:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gatorguy, is your 760 alive and well? I'm trying to find a T5 torx wrench to revive my 770...

--z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

thewonderdrummer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JUST got off the phone with Garmin support (after waiting 42 minutes) and they are acknowledging that this is an issue, but don't seem to know if it's a certain series, or chip issue. The gentleman I spoke with (Nick) was EXCEPTIONALLY helpful and got an RMA started, as well as got a 'Campus Shipping' request lined up so I won't be paying to ship my 'dead/bricked' unit TO Garmin.

At least they're acknowledging it is a MAJOR problem and responding with care and concern to those that call in, and get through.

Just thought I'd update on what I was told via Garmin directly.

Go to Top of Page

Kflint

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Kflint's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally got a person on the line after about an hour and a quarter on hold. He gave me an RMA for my 755T, and said I will receive a replacement 10-14 days after they receive my unit. I told him about this thread, but he dismissed "the internet" out of hand, and gave no indication he was aware of any problem.

KJF

Edited by - Kflint on 23 juin 2009 19:40:24
Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you get through in 42 minutes? I have now been on hold for 2 hours and 12 minutes. Is it better to keep calling and trying again?
Go to Top of Page

thewonderdrummer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mmaslar

How did you get through in 42 minutes? I have now been on hold for 2 hours and 12 minutes. Is it better to keep calling and trying again?

I haven't a clue! I just called, and waited on the phone until I got through to someone... best of luck with getting through!

Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha... thanks. While I'm waiting, What is "campus shipping" and how to I talk them into shipping my unit to them for free?
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, mine is OK.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

thewonderdrummer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haha... thanks. While I'm waiting, What is "campus shipping" and how to I talk them into shipping my unit to them for free?

I have no idea. The gentleman helping me (Nick) just offered to get the label sent to me and said it would make it so I don't have to pay for the return shipping costs.

I also don't know if "Campus Shipping" is the correct term, but that's what it sounded like he kept saying.

All it means is that Garmin sent me a label to attach to a box/packaging to return the Garmin 765T in, and not having to pay for shipping. Hopefully it will also mean it'll get to their shop as quickly as possible!

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I will be sure to post when I have received word from Garmin, especially if there is any additional news from them.
Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want to throw fuel on the fire but you guys should be DEMANDING that Garmin provide a prepaid shipping label. It is ridiculous if you have to pay the shipping cost to return a defective unit. (Even if the defect is caused by the chipset it is still Garmin's fault because Garmin chose the chipset manufacturer!)
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those getting RMAs, what are they going to be sending you in exchange? How do you know the replacement won't have the same problem?
Go to Top of Page

propaneman

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update 2

After viewing the GPS software version was 0.0.0 and doing another hard reset, my unit has been acting fine for the last 1 1/2 hours in which I drove from Lansing to Grand Rapids and around the GR area. Will let you know if anything changes.
Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that the replacement units will have the same issue. I have read on other forums that Garmin is starting to not give RMAs for the moment because the replacements they have available to ship will be defective as well... this is not official from Garmin.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:44:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@propaneman - you didn't say if you had renamed the GPS update files as per http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127184#877186 ?

Go to Top of Page

propaneman

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

@propaneman - you didn't say if you had renamed the GPS update files as per http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127184#877186 ?

Sorry about that... I did not.
Go to Top of Page

deeoji

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 785T took the "update" at about 7:00p EDT last night (6/22/09) and I hit OK. It continued to pop up the message repeatedly every 3 minutes or so. It bricked when I turned the car off and remains lifeless.
Go to Top of Page

mrbjr

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  19:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a week old 785T and started having the GPS UPDATE loop, proceeded to apply Sergzak's fix...Began to plan a route and while pressing the down arrow(lower right) it made a popping sound and powered off and will not restart.Can not soft or hard reset the unit..Hold times into Garmin USA are 30+ minutes
Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up holding after 2 hours and 30 minutes. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

alan sh

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 765T seems to be working OK at the moment. I left it on for 25 minutes with a route planned and it didn't lose any satellites.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danham

@ SergZak:

I find only the .bin version of the files you mention, and of course this is on my 760, not 765. I opted not to mess, but wonder if you have an opinion about whether this bug may affect 7x0s too?

-dan

Dan, I really cannot say about the 7x0 series but I have renamed the files on my MTK 760 anyways as a precaution and have not powered it on. My 750 is a SiRFstar and I don't have access to it until the weekend. Hopefully, it won't be affected as the girlfriend uses it extensively and is PC illiterate.

Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:16:27  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 755T got the GPS update message again this morning, and the screen immediately turned black. It refused to switch on, even with a USB cable to my PC. Out of desperation, I connected it to the car mount, hold the switch to the ON position, and plugged in the power to the vehicle outlet. I held the switch for about 5 seconds, and the Nuvi came back alive!

For those with a bricked unit, give it a try before you ship your box back to Garmin

Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You were lucky... Let us know if it continues to work.
Go to Top of Page

thewonderdrummer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cameralens

My 755T got the GPS update message again this morning, and the screen immediately turned black. It refused to switch on, even with a USB cable to my PC. Out of desperation, I connected it to the car mount, hold the switch to the ON position, and plugged in the power to the vehicle outlet. I held the switch for about 5 seconds, and the Nuvi came back alive!

For those with a bricked unit, give it a try before you ship your box back to Garmin

But does it work as normal now? And how long before it becomes a brick again?!?? Keep us updated!

Go to Top of Page

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It seems that the replacement units will have the same issue. I have read on other forums that Garmin is starting to not give RMAs for the moment because the replacements they have available to ship will be defective as well... this is not official from Garmin.

I hope this isn't the case since I just sent mine back. It would have been nice to know about the campus return since it cost me about $10.00 to ship. They should send us a coupon or something for this inconvenience. I'm out my GPS for probably two weeks, losing time on my MSN Direct subscription, and the expensive of shipping the unit back. And oh yeah I have to get it back to the way it was. I really hope they learn a lesson from this and make it interactive for any "upgrade". What is so hard about a popup appearing with an option would you like to upgrade or not? And to dis the Internet is not appropriate either, Garmin knows about this problem and yet there is nothing on their website and I would bet nothing but awful music and inane messages while you are waiting for a technician. Forums such as this one is the only method to get the word out. And to say nothing about how users such as SergZak providing ways to save the Nuvi from becoming a brick. They should be happy this forum exists. This is my third Garmin GPS and I have always been a satisfied customer in the past but this kind of stuff usually pushes me to the competition.
Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:30:47  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

But does it work as normal now? And how long before it becomes a brick again?!?? Keep us updated!

I took a half hour drive with navigation after de-bricking. The GPS message did not appear, and it kept sync with the satellites all the way.
I'll run more tests over lunchtime

Go to Top of Page

snj1013

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 755T has had the "Updating GPS software" message pop up twice (yesterday afternoon and this morning). Each time I have been able to cycle power and get it working again although it took a couple of minutes to get a satellite lock.

I waited for about an hour to speak with Garmin. The tech told me there was a "glitch" and to delete everything in the Garmin/Remote SW folder on the device. I am at work now without the sync cable, so I'll have to try that when I get home. If someone wants to give it a shot, please post your results.

Go to Top of Page

MickePro

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I wrote earlier my 765T went dead.
Opened it up carefully so it wont be detected and void warranty.
Removed the battery and connected it again after 60 seconds.

*Voila* the 765T is back from the dead, did a Hard Reset as Propaneman did but after about 10 minutes the "Update of death" appeared.

Turned it off and did the file-renaming trick and the "Update of death" has not appeared since.

Shall try the update again, later, MUCH later, when Garmin has fixed the update.

/Micke...
Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah... I understand that they probably have a very high volume of calls and emails, but I emailed them twice last night and have yet to get a response. I also waited on hold for about 2 and a half hours before giving up. It would be nice if they would put a message on their website or on the phone lines while customers are holding and a chance to at least leave some kind of contact information so we aren't waiting for so long. I'm really hoping they come up for a fix for bricked devices without having to mail them in since I can't even get someone on the line to give me an RMA number.
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got off the phone with Garmin again. Waited an hour this time to get an agent. She gave me a RMA # and address to send the unit to. She said I'd be receiving a used / refurbished unit in around 2 weeks.

I'm kind of ticked off. I told her that if the problem was with defective chipsets in these units then giving me an older / used / refurbished unit wouldn't do any good since it would still have the defective chipset. She kept telling me that these refurbished units are fixed up and tested before being sent out. Then she said that I'd have to pay shipping back, but that I'd probably get a free map update after registering the refurbished unit.

I need to have a working unit for a trip this weekend. Is there a place I can buy a Garmin, then return when I'm done using it?
Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cameralens

I just tried this method. No dice on my 755T. I guess you were just lucky.
Go to Top of Page

THung

Taiwan
115 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not cheering you guys up, but I have to say that my Nuvi 765 TWN FW 2.50 seems not to affected. So far it works fine, I renamed as pre-caution the above mentioned files.
Maybe its the combination of FW 2.50 and GPS Chipset FW 2.80 which prevents that.
Go to Top of Page

mrbjr

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just tried it as well...no joy!!
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The story is up on Engadget's front page now.
Go to Top of Page

propaneman

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  20:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update 3

Now 3 Hours since the last hard reset after seeing that the GPS software version was 0.0.0. so, and I hope, all is good. I need this GPS fixed since I was headed to Chicago tomorrow.

Here is what I did to get my bricked unit up and running again.

1) I unplugged the battery for 30 sec and plugged it back in. (please note that this could VOID you warranty so it's up to you if you want to do this.)

2) The unit will restart but the "message of death" will probably appear again.

3) I took the unit and plugged it into the car charger and did a hard reset.

4)the unit came back up, found it's satellites and worked for 10 minutes.

5) the "message of death" came back up and I went to tools (or options), system, about and software versions. I saw that the GPS version was 0.0.0 and did another hard reset. My 785t has worked since.

Also, I did NOT rename the files as others have done

Good luck!!

Edited by - propaneman on 23 juin 2009 21:25:30
Go to Top of Page

alan sh

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  21:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since mine also seems to be working OK (famous last words?), is it possible that once you get over this "hump", it will be OK for a while (til the next issue). In my case, I renamed those dodgy update files before I let it find any satellites (even though it had done all the updates days ago). It had a little hiccup and now seems to be OK. So, maybe it's a point in time issue - and once you are past that point, it goes back to normal behaviour.

Alan

Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  21:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

My unit is still operational and still picking up GPS signals. I can't report with any certainty if it's losing lock on it's own though as I'll need to monitor it more closely. I'm testing in the house on my test-bed equipment (stock cradle mount/GTM 20/2 amp regulated 12V power supply).

I seemed to have dodged the "dead unit" bullet, perhaps with the file rename trick I posted when I realized what was taking place (an unneeded GPS firmware update) earlier but that could just be a coincidence. Regardless, I have also done the file rename on my 760 (MTK) but not on my 750 (SiRF) since I do not have access to it until this weekend.

If I see any sort of complete sat signal loss at any point, I will be reverting to firmware v2.50 to see if that is affecting things in the same way. You have to take these debug procedures a step at a time to try to isolate the problem.

To those that are still able to power their units on and have the MTK chipset, I STRONGLY recommend you do the file rename as it *seems* to have prevented mine from bricking. You can always rename them back to what they were much more easily than having a bonafide brick in your possession and sending the unit to Garmin for a brand new "refurb"...

Also, Engadget.com has this story up on their website.

Edited by - SergZak on 23 juin 2009 21:19:31
Go to Top of Page

bratvas

31 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  21:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine actually bricked after renaming files.
Go to Top of Page

rhombus

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

Ive been on hold with garmin for 7.5hr now, still have not talked to anyone...

My 765 was totally bricked. Reset/usb/computer/cradle/etc would do nothing, just one expensive paperweight. While waiting on the phone I broke out my tool kit and was able to unbrick my Nuvi.

I was able to unbrick my 765. I took out the 2 small hex screws on the back and carefully popped the back cover off. This exposes the battery and speaker connectors. I disconnected the battery and speaker for 5-10min while I was looking for some kind of hard reset button (none found btw). I reattached the battery and viola, the 765 came back to life! I have not tested it outside of the house, but so far its turning on just fine and I was able to connect it to my PC without any problems
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone else did this earlier in the thread, but this voids your warranty.
Go to Top of Page

bratvas

31 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way,when exchanging units, do they address the map updates subscription?
Go to Top of Page

bm196

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the 800 series use the MTK chipset. Any reports of bricking there?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:40:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, MTK too, you'll find the full list of Garmin units with MTK here : http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=259#mtk

But at this point it seems only the 7x5 models were "scheduled to update" to fix the date problem spotted by z.entropic. There's probably something wrong with that GPS firmware update, hence the necessity in my eyes to rename these two files as per http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=127184#877186 to prevent that update from happening.

Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what is my best course of action if I have a 755t that has not been powered on for several days to help it from bricking? I will need it this Sunday afternoon going out of town for work, driving 300 miles.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:51:46  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rename the files if you have them left over from a previous software update. Not much else can be done at this point.

Go to Top of Page

MickePro

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IsLNdbOi

Someone else did this earlier in the thread, but this voids your warranty.

How can you tell that the unit has been opened?

I checked the outside my unit both before and after and I wasn't able to find any seal or other marks that could say that my unit was opened.

I'm not saying that everyone shall pry it open, one *could* damage the casing in such way that it voids the warranty.

/Micke...
Go to Top of Page

Ingraham00

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  22:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 755T had the UPDATE message at approx 7:00am EST and had no sat lock so I powered off and on and it worked with no problems. turned off until lunch and it worked fine. After work at 4pm EST I turned on and it said UPDATE COMPLETE (or similar) then no SAT lock. I cycled power and it is DEAD!!!!
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  23:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just connected my bricked nuvi 770 to USB cord and held the power button to the left (ON) for maybe 5-8 seconds--nuvi suddenly revived, but would not load the maps or show up as a drive. I switched to an external power supply, and it restared several times without a problem, but the satelite fix is still missing...

Since I did not have a backup of a very large, multi-map IMG file in the unit's internal memory, I first booted up the nuvi using an external power supply, then, once booted up, quickly switched it to the USB cable--and was able to do a backup.

CONCLUSION: If your nuvi seems to be bricked, attach a USB or power cord--and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds.

Nonetheless, the mystery continues...

--z.entropic

Edited by - z.entropic on 23 juin 2009 23:08:17
Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
591 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  23:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rename the files if you have them left over from a previous software update. Not much else can be done at this point.

OK I renamed the files like SergZak said and have had the 755t on for 5 minutes so far and seems fine. Does it have to be plugged in for the message to pop up or will it do it if it is running off the battery as well?
Go to Top of Page

MickePro

Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  23:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by z.entropic

I've just connected my bricked nuvi 770 to USB cord and held the power button to the left (ON) for maybe 5-8 seconds--nuvi suddenly revived, but would not load the maps or show up as a drive. I switched to an external power supply, and it restared several times without a problem, but the satelite fix is still missing...

Have you tried a hard reset after the unit came to life?
That could get the sat-fix to work again.

quote:

CONCLUSION: If your nuvi seems to be bricked, attach a USB or power cord--and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds.

Nonetheless, the mystery continues...

Could that be that the batteri went flat (at last) after a day running with blank screen. And when you put the powercord in the unit it came to life, just as others have disconnected the battery to do the same thing?

/Micke...
Go to Top of Page

Kflint

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  23:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Kflint's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've just connected my bricked nuvi 770 to USB cord and held the power button to the left (ON) for maybe 5-8 seconds--nuvi suddenly revived ...

Actually, the Garmin tech I spoke with on the phone had me try this. No go with my 755t. It's now on its way to Garmin.

KJF
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  23:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not after, but I did it before--with no luck.

The battery could not go flat as the unit sat all day connected to eiter USB or an ext. power supply. The fact remains that the battery is getting old, which after 1.5 years of not much use doesn't speak much for the brand/type. Who makes Li-ion batteries used in nuvi 7XX--does anyone know? I still haven't found a T5 Torx wrench to check it myself...

--z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  23:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an RMA. I need to pack it up and ship it.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  23:37:42  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, the Garmin tech I spoke with on the phone had me try this. No go with my 755t. It's now on its way to Garmin.

KJF

Try holding the switch to the left for 10 seconds, plug in the USB, and keep holding it longer for 15 seconds.

Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  23:42:35  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The battery could not go flat as the unit sat all day connected to eiter USB or an ext. power supply.
--z.entropic

If the main Nuvi processor has 'hung', the power controller chip may not be programmed correctly to recharge your batteries when the USB is plugged. So, the batteries may have been flat for a while

Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  00:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Imagine! My nuvi 770 came back to life in the car, as if nothing has happened...

My lucky day.

--z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

Chazz8

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  00:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my interesting story. I bought a 755t (V6 4GB P1 S2 330MHz – SW 2.30? or 2.50? didn’t write that part down - dangit) at a LL Bean outlet store on Sat 6/20 (great price). I had trouble turning it on late that night (most likely early am 6/21 but I don't know) so I plugged in my Garmin AC to usb transformer and it turned on and locked onto Sats. Then it lost sats AND the sat acquisition screen was blank (no sats, no bars, dashes for Lat Long and alt). Decided to just let it charge overnight and try in the morning.

Next day (6/21) drove to Grammy's (35 minutes each way) plus errands (another 30min) without problems. This was with my 750 beanbag set-up so no traffic receiver power cable.
Next day (Mon 6/22) I used the traffic receiver power cable with the 775t on a 30min drive and lost Sats and had the blank Sat acquisition screen 4 times. I would just turn it off and back on to get the nuvi to work again and it worked for 12 minutes straight at the end of my trip.

I thought it might need an update so I registered it on MyGarmin and took the mandatory update to SW 3.40 (I didn’t write it down because I thought I could always get to it on the Nuvi so I’m not sure of the number but it should be the latest and greatest from Garmin.) That involved unplugging it and letting it reboot and I saw no problems.

Then I turned it on late night (most likely early 6/23) to admire it and set my home location a little better. It lost sats and had blank sat acquisition screen, so I turned it off and on again. I got sats and went to the version information screen (press the battery icon then next) and pressed start test and more to get the inventory list. Then inventory list had multiple erased entries from the Garmin registration update I assumed (I thought they had to erase the building overlay map and re-install it and more).

THEN it turns itself off never to turn on again. I tried putting it in the sun for 10 min to expand any bad connections, plug AC to usb, plug PC to usb, car to cradle, with no luck. Now I see this thread and see that I’m not alone. Thank you everybody and thank you Gpspassion.com.
I have been on hold with Garmin support for 1Hr 40min while I type this up. I’m giving up on garmin for today. Before I read this thread I thought I had a bad/returned Nuvi from the outlet store, but now I think it is something on Garmin’s end.

Nuvi 750/ SW 4.80 / GPS SW 3.00s
Nuvi 775t SW 3.8, GPS SW 2.90
Go to Top of Page

Hogster

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  00:25:56  Show Profile  Visit Hogster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I must say I'm tempted to try removing and reconnecting the battery to see if that brings my nuvi back to life .... If it works then I'll have a working satnav again, won't have to shell out for shipping the satnav to Garmin, or wait 2 weeks whilst they figure out if they can fix it ....

Do you think there's any way they're able to tell whether one has been inside the unit before or not? And for those of you who have tried this trick, how is your satnav fairing now? Have you tried using it outdoors for long periods of time?

Many thanks

David

Edited by - Hogster on 24 juin 2009 00:29:05
Go to Top of Page

alan sh

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  00:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK- I left mine on and plugged in for about 3 hours. Came back to it and it's dead. Won't switch on at all. So, there's no way the renaming cures the problem.

Alan
Go to Top of Page

-vinny

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  01:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting tidbit. I got the update screen of death on my way to work. Did a firmware update using the web updater - which didn't help. What did start happening was that after power on I started getting a nag screen saying "Hey fella, send us more money for map updates." After deleting the binaries as suggested elsewhere both the nag screen and the screen of death are gone.

I wonder if someone at Garmin stepped on their **** by adding the nag screen and breaking the firmware????

Edited by - -vinny on 24 juin 2009 01:29:02
Go to Top of Page

Ralph Tomaccio

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  01:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add one more 755T to this list of failing units.

Like most of you, I received the "Update Complete" message but instead of going blank and shutting down, mine went from the "Update Complete" message to a map screen. At that point, it froze, meaning the vehicle icon and map never updated on screen while traveling and there were no further voice instructions. I lost satellite acquisition that would not re-acquire as well. Shutting down and turning it back on just brought the unit to the initial "Where to" screen but with no satellite acquisition. I then shut the unit off until I got home

Once home, I turned it back on and was able to get satellite acquisition. I then connected the unit to my computer, backed up the complete contents, deleted everything on the Nuvi and installed a previous older back up, 3.30. After I ejected the Nuvi, I turned it on and received a message that older software was going to be installed and if I proceeded, I would lose all my personal settings. I went ahead and reinstalled 3.30.

When completed, I noticed that all my Favorites were gone. In an attempt to see if I could get them back, I deleted that reinstall and loaded back the newest/problem 3.40 install. After successfully reinstalling the problem version 3.4, I noticed the Favorites still aren’t there. WHY? Aren’t Favorites saved in a folder somewhere?

Aside from the Favorites situation, I proceeded to test the 755T by driving to a location about 6 miles away and then back to Home. I intentionally went off-course to force recalculation. I traveled a total of about 45 minutes without an occurrence of the dreaded “Updating Complete” notice.

So, only time will tell if the problem persists. (My mind hopes it won’t, but my gut tells me it will!)

But, where are my favorites stored? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  01:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my unit is still operating normally since performing my initial procedures driving back to work my 2nd shift today. Since there's ALOT of info dispersed in the topic, I'll summarize what I did (to the best of my memory) in the hopes that it -may- prevent someone's still operating unit from bricking. Who knows, mine may brick after I write this up:

1. Had "updating GPS message" at approx 5pm the June 22nd while driving to lunch.

2. Upon message, pressed OK after it was done.

3. Got the message again after a few minutes and did the same but pulled the GTM 20 unit from the 12v

4. Got no GPS signal multiple times & pulled the GTM 20 to correct.

5. Reflashed v3.40 & did a hard reset (press & hold bottom-left corner of screen while powering unit on)

6. After update, checked unit which seemed OK

7. Backdated to v2.50 & renamed x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.GCD & x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.bin

8. Ran unit for a few minutes which seemed OK

9. Reflashed v3.40 & left files renamed

10. Got a message on the GPS stating that my maps were outdated and needed to be updated...I currently already have the most recent 2010.10 maps.

Since then, I have had no issues. Just an FYI...

EDIT:

Came back from lunch a few minutes ago (4:10pm). No visible issues with unit and brought it into the office. Tried to power unit on from battery. Unit did NOT respond. Tried again, no good. Tried holding the power switch to the ON position for five or so seconds. Unit powered on normally.

Edited by - SergZak on 24 juin 2009 01:26:40
Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  01:25:32  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This info just appeared on Garmin knowledge base:

Question: Why does my nüvi 7x5 series unit not power on?
Answer:

If your unit is not acquiring satellites, you can perform a master reset by doing the following:

Note: A master reset will erase all waypoints or favorites and will restore your unit to the default factory settings.

Follow the steps below to perform a master reset on the nuvi 7x5 series:

1. Turn the device OFF
2. Place your fingertip or the eraser end of a pencil in the bottom right corner of the touchscreen
3. While pressing down on the screen, power ON the unit and continue pressing on the screen. A message displays to confirm if you really want to delete all user data?
4. Touch Yes.
5. The unit will now restart.
6. Follow the onscreen prompts to set up the nuvi.
7. Once the reset is complete, please place your unit in an area with clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

Last modified on: 06/23/2009

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 24 juin 2009 01:33:16
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  01:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Tomaccio

In a file called current.gpx which should be in your backup.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

DreamWeaver88

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  01:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 785T died today on the way to work. Got the "GPS Update Complete" loop, got sick of hearing it beep and shut it off. Now it won't power back on. Tried hooking it to the computer and nothing.

DW
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  01:43:29  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gotta love step 1 of Garmin's advice about what to do if it won't turn on. "Turn the Device OFF."

Why not just ask users to follow a route to Garmin HQ in Olathe, KS using the broken GPS?

Sorry, but that one got to me.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 24 juin 2009 01:44:54
Go to Top of Page

NJ_ed

8 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  01:56:57  Show Profile  Visit NJ_ed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, a bit of a twist on this thread...after researching GPS units for quite a while I finally decided on the 755T and it is "in the mail". Now I find this thread :)

One question: since I am not too familiar with the unit and don't have it in front of me, I was wondering about the firmware upgrade process. It would seem to me that, since I will not be using the MSN service, if I do not execute a software update thru the web then I should have no issues. After all, if the unit is not connected to the web and it does not have the MSN link, there is no way for the firmware to be downloaded so there "should" be no issue with this bad update process. Does anyone have any feedback on the above? The reasoning seems sound to me.

-Ed
Go to Top of Page

zxcv

2 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 755T started exhibiting the GPS software update problem yesterday (June 22) at approximately 5pm (EST). It is now an expensive paperweight. I just spent an hour on hold with Garmin. When a rep finally answered, he claimed that he hadn't heard of anyone with the same problem. He said he was going to ask some other reps if they've heard of the issue and asked me to hold. A couple of seconds later I was disconnected. I immediately tried calling back and a recorded voice stated they were closed.

That's classic customer service for you.

I own a GPS V, Legend, Streetpilot 2610, 60C, Nuvi 350 (which also no longer acquires satellites), Nuvi 255, and now a Nuvi 755T paperweight. It is unlikely I will ever own another Garmin product.

Update: My Genuine Garmin 755T Paperweight(tm) has been returned to the place of purchase for a full refund.

A

Edited by - zxcv on 24 juin 2009 21:56:07
Go to Top of Page

thewonderdrummer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NJ_ed

OK, a bit of a twist on this thread...after researching GPS units for quite a while I finally decided on the 755T and it is "in the mail". Now I find this thread :)

One question: since I am not too familiar with the unit and don't have it in front of me, I was wondering about the firmware upgrade process. It would seem to me that, since I will not be using the MSN service, if I do not execute a software update thru the web then I should have no issues. After all, if the unit is not connected to the web and it does not have the MSN link, there is no way for the firmware to be downloaded so there "should" be no issue with this bad update process. Does anyone have any feedback on the above? The reasoning seems sound to me.

-Ed

Ed - I'm a user that does NOT have MSN Direct on my 765T, and I had the issue occur. I don't believe it has to strictly do with the firmware, and believe, based on multiple other theories on this forum and others, that it likely is a hardware issue. Unfortunately it seems as though the hardware failed before a firmware fix could be applied, but unfortunately the firmware update (which, to my understanding, would never be delivered via GPS signal, although I could be wrong) lies within the unit regardless of it's FM/MSN connection.

Just my two cents... I could be way off base, but I figured I'd share.

Oh, and as a side-note, although I LOVE(D!!!) my 765T, and would highly recommend the 755T, have you considered one of the 255T? They seem to have somewhat similar features, without all the extra fluff (MP3 player, picture viewer, etc.) that I think most people rarely use. My girlfriend has the 265WT (as she wanted bluetooth & a wider screen) and LOVES it... and to be honest, it has all the features (minus lane assist) that I regularly use on my 765T. Just a thought!

Go to Top of Page

mmaslar

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. That is incorrect. This issue is not related to the MSN subscription. I so not have the subscription, and mine was bricked. Sent it back today. It seems that if you made it past yesterday, they are working fine. The one you receive in the mail should be fine. We'll see if Garmin releases a software update for it though.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was recently posted on the Garmin support website:
Source: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/

Question: Why does my nüvi 7x5 series unit not power on?

Answer: It has come to our attention that firmware version 3.4 for the Garmin nüvi 7x5 series has an error that is causing the device to perform an unprompted GPS software update and then shut down. Garmin is aware of this issue and we are working diligently on a solution. We know our customers rely upon their GPS device and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Developing quality products always has been and continues to be a priority at Garmin. For regular updates about this issue, please revist this article at www.garmin.com/support.

Edited by - SergZak on 24 juin 2009 02:17:19
Go to Top of Page

NJ_ed

8 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:15:50  Show Profile  Visit NJ_ed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't thinking that the issue had to do directly with the MSN subscription. My thought was simply that IF the problem was related to a firmware update then there are only two ways for the firmware to be delivered, either wirelessly thru MSN or thru a cabled web connection. Since I won't have an MSN connection, the only way for the firmware update to be delivered to a new unit would be thru the web update service. I was thinking that I could ensure the device's safety by simply not connecting to the web update service until this issue is resolved.

-Ed
Go to Top of Page

-vinny

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SergZak

It has come to our attention that firmware version 3.4 for the Garmin nüvi 7x5 series has an error

I know that this is wrong. I was quite down-rev from 3.4 when I got the update of death screen. I updated to 3.4 thinking that this might fix things. It took SergZak's fix to make it better. Next time he gets to NY, I'm buying him a beer!
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ NJ_ed

No Garmin firmware updates are ever performed OTA (over-the-air) or wirelessly through MSN Direct or otherwise. The updates are always downloaded from Garmin, either via WebUpdater or direct file download to the PC. The update files, regardless of installation method, are then transferred by the PC to the nuvi which does the update on it's own. No PC is involved in the actual flash process.

Edited by - SergZak on 24 juin 2009 02:24:32
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:21:17  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ Ed:

There are no over the air updates for these GPS units, period, via satellite or MSN or anything, so yes, if you have firmware earlier than 3.4 then do not connect to Web Updater or download 3.40. But if you already have 3.40 then your only hope at the moment is to rename the update files per the info earlier in this thread.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

NJ_ed

8 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:27:31  Show Profile  Visit NJ_ed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dan, Serg:

thanks for the clarification
Go to Top of Page

Ralph Tomaccio

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2009 :  02:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Tomaccio

In a file called current.gpx which should be in your backup.

I do have the file in both the backup as well as in the nuvi (Gamin/GPX/current.gpx) but the favorites aren't appearing. Is there something I have to do to get them to reappear?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05