Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2221

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [ALERT] nuvi 755/765 Died Today - v3.60 SW Fix
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  03:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NOTE BY GPSPASSION 20090624 - 3:00 PM PST : Garmin have just made the v3.60 software available via the WebUpdater to fix this "dead GPS" problem. This will only help those who can still power on their 7x5 GPS, others will have to send it in to Garmin with a quoted 15 day turnaround. As a side note some revived their unit by opening it following this YouTube video and disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds, but be advised that this is a risky operation that requires a Torx 5 screwdriver and voids the warranty.

NOTE BY GPSPASSION 20090623 - 7:15 AM PST : Late last night we started getting reports in the forums that Garmin nuvi 765 systems were failing (and now 755s too). The scenario being : a pop-up saying a GPS update was being rolled out and then the nuvi powering off and refusing to power on again !

It is not known at this point what might be causing this, but the recent and temporary failure of the Omnitech GPS and acknowledgment by Rockwell Collins that there is a bug in some GPS receivers they built that would cause a date problem after June 20th 2009, could indicate that a scheduled fix for the 765's MTK GPS Chipset went wrong...Garmin are asking people to RMA their dead units so there is apparently no easy fix, but in case you own a 765 that hasn't gone bad, you can try renaming the GPS update files as this has spared SergZak's 765 it seems

All was fine with my 765T until today. While driving home from work all of a sudden I get a pop up about some GPS update. For the next five minutes the display alternates between acquiring satellites and GPS update. I thought cool another update. Then the Nuvi just died. I cannot power it on anymore either in the mount or from my PC. Well long story short I called tech support and got an RMA. Bummer

Ads

daveo

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  03:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had the same happen to me. I was on the last leg of a long trip. Was trying to find somewhere to eat. I had been getting update messages on an off, and got one, then sats, then I reset it and all was fine, then poof it died. I had my 680 in the trunk and stopped and changed over. Will call Garmin tomorrow. I have a 755T.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this isn't a bigger problem. My Nuvi was rock solid, I never had a problem with it. It was running the latest code, which kind of surprised me when it said GPS updating. I haven't plugged it into my PC in a few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

dml

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 785T that died this afternoon also. I powered it up and it didn't acquire any satellites, then I got several instances of the "GPS Update Complete" dialog box. I finally decided to power it off and try it again, but it never turned back on. Seems like more than a coincidence that this same thing happened to several units on the same day in the same way.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is not dead but I had the exact same issue today as well with the "Updating GPS software" message. A few power cycles and cradle connects/disconnects and it seems OK now...*very* odd. I also did a hard reset so that may have done something also.

EDIT: No dice. It happened again on the way home from work. Maybe there is a GPS chipset update pending release. I seem to recall a new GPS Chipset Type M (MediaTek) being released for one of the hand-held units but cannot be sure. The MediaTek GPS Chipset is the same one used in the 7x5 series ans well as some 7x0 series units.

Regardless, the nuvi is updating the GPS Chipset when it's already at the "current" version.

For testing/debugging purposes, I am renaming the GPS chipset update file on the nuvi temporarily to something else to see if this alleviates the problem. If the update file is not seen by the nuvi, perhaps no update will try to take place. The files are:

x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.GCD
x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.bin

Rename the two to something the nuvi won't be looking for such as:

006B073300.GCD.disabled
006B073300.bin.disabled

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 23 juin 2009 04:53:26
Go to Top of Page

bluediamond

2 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 755T updated and then immediately shut off around 6pm Eastern time and I am unable to get it to come back on.Not a good week for me and electronics.First my iPhone died,then my satellite radio and now my Nuvi.Hope there is a simple fix.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was having the issue with chipset updates. I checked for updates before I left on vacation. Nada. I will try tomorrow to power the unit up. This is truly strange and I have had 3 Nuvis and a SP3.

Bluediamond that would be about the time mine cut off. I was looking for a place for dinner.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect

Edited by - daveo on 23 juin 2009 04:57:13
Go to Top of Page

dml

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  04:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't get mine to power back on no matter what I try. I've tried numerous soft resets (holding the power switch on for 15 sec) and also connecting / disconnecting it from a USB cable. I've heard there is a reset button somewhere on these things, but I can't seem to find it in the manual or on the unit. So SergZak, can you actually get yours to power up and be visible via the USB connection?
Go to Top of Page

alandb

449 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  05:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 755T had the problem at about that same time ... 5 PM CDT. I think I will not use mine tomorrow until Garmin or someone gets a handle on this problem. I don't want mine to die like dml and vonhasch

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra
Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  05:11:09  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 755 had the same problem today at around 6:30PST. There was the GPS Update message, and it could no longer track any satellites

Nuvi 755, Subaru Legacy GT wagon
http://www.visualvalhalla.com/
Go to Top of Page

vonhasch

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  05:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how it can be prevented. I haven't had my Nuvi plugged into a computer in weeks. Just turning it on and acquiring satellites killed it. Garmin tech support told me you can't get a GPS update this way. I also have MSN direct and I guess you can get updates through it.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  05:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine still powers up and works, on battery, on the cradle and using PC USB. I was still getting the "updating the GPS firmware" periodically, then no GPS reception. Each time this happened, I unplugged the power adapter from the socket, plugged it back in and it worked until the next instance (maybe five minutes after being reconnected). As per my previous post above, I have disabled the actual GPS firmware update files on the nuvi to see if that is the cause. In addition, I have reflashed the same firmware version on the unit. See post above for instructions (if you can still power your unit on).

Edited by - SergZak on 23 juin 2009 05:39:13
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  06:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened to my 765t today on my way home as well. Saw some kind of updating message and the screen suddenly turned off. It won't power back on now. I've tried all the different ways of resetting these Nuvis while plugged in and while unplugged. The thing won't power on anymore. Looks like I'll be giving Garmin a call tomorrow.

Edit:
I had the latest version of the 765t firmware installed along with all the latest voices. I also use MSN Direct.

Edited by - synomenon on 23 juin 2009 07:09:55
Go to Top of Page

cameralens

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  06:37:41  Show Profile  Visit cameralens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Powering up while tethered to a PC still works. I've forced a hard reset on my unit, and reinstalled the firmware. It has been running the last hour without losing GPS lock

Nuvi 755, Subaru Legacy GT wagon
http://www.visualvalhalla.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jaker00

1 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  06:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 765t died tonight too!! (Second in five months)!!! I used it earlier today, and worked fine. This evening I have it inside...just running off battery (which had plenty of juice)... was entering in addresses to save as favorites for an upcoming trip on Wed., when I got a message pop-up and say updating GPS firmware..then update completed. It did this 5 or so times, then shutoff. I cannot power it on..I cannot hard-reset it...I plugged it into my beanbag mount in the truck, and normally it turns on automatically, but nothing!! FYI..I use the MSN receiver power adapter. I have had the latest firmware and the latest maps since they were released. I did not update the recent voice updates yet. This is a referb unit, because my first one died also. I am getting very frustrated and worried, because the referbs are only covered under warranty until the original 1 year warranty expires. This means another referb, and only 7 month warranty!! Calling Garmin in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2009 :  07:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is BAD, BAD, BAD Garmin! I don't know WTH is going on but I and a few others were lucky & managed to dodge the bullet on this nuvi killing issue. Why it happened on this day is beyond comprehension. Everybody who's had this issue, PLEASE report it to Garmin with an explanation of how it happened (unprovoked "updating GPS firmware"). If you have dodged the bullet, I HIGHLY recommend you disable the GPS firmware update files I mentioned above. After doing so & when you run WebUpdater, it will state that a "GPS Chipset Type M" update is available...just ignore it. Maybe this will prevent the problem from bricking more 7x5 series units.

Edited by - SergZak on 23 juin 2009 07:10:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05