Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2297

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - General
 General Questions and Discussions
 Nextar 43NT GPS Hacked - Now what?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bmurphr1

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2009 :  00:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I broke down and purchased the USD $99 GPS unit from BestBuy last week and have already hacked it to get to the WinCE desktop. Here's what I did:

1. Connect GPS unit to a Windows machine (I used Windows Vista with Sync Center).
2. Modified \ResidentFlash\DShell\mshell.ini, changing the path of the MP3 program to \Windows\explorer.exe
3. Hard reset (flip switch on back of unit off then on)
4. Tap Music button and opened up explorer, navigated to the Task Manager, and terminated the process DShell.
5. Exit out of all windows back to WindowsCE desktop.

From here, I've loaded a few games I ripped off of an Omnitech SD card image so I have a lot of games, programs, and utilities.

What now though? Does anybody know how to add the taskbar to the bottom of the screen? Is there anything else I should load onto the GPS to make it better or faster to use? If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know. In return, I will offer to make an image of my SD card, maps included or excluded if you want (uses Navteq software), and upload them to my personal FTP for everyone to have access to. Thanks in advance for your input.

Brent

http://badbrent.tastyspleen.net/IMG_4393.JPG

Ads

vokats

1 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2009 :  13:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It link could to be helpful:

http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103534
Go to Top of Page

yuprules

131 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2009 :  17:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick hack, question...what is the built in software for those of us who don't want to hack it.
Go to Top of Page

cpgi

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2009 :  20:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new to hacking gps to WinCE desktop. I got a Nextar 43nt-c, but the unit say "item# Q4-03" at BestBuy (Canada). I have connected the GPS unit to Vista with sync center, but gps unit is not connecting to sync center (unit turn on or off). I can only explore the unit using window explorer.

Regarding hard reset, I don't see switch on the back of the unit. Your reply will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Edited by - cpgi on 11 juil. 2009 01:46:25
Go to Top of Page

pen25

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2009 :  06:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you tried the mio software to load any other maps?
Go to Top of Page

yuprules

131 Posts

Posted - 15 juil. 2009 :  17:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cpgi: errrr...wait the unit says Q4-03 and not 43nt-c? Someone has pulled a fast one on you and returned a Q4-03 unit in a 43NT-C and and KEPT the 43nt-c!!! Was the box SEALED? There should be a circle tape over the box where you open it. This is the 2nd time I've heard this story.

I would return it for an exchange to best buy (tell em it won't lock on) and OPEN the new one to ensure it is an 43NT-C and not a Q4-03 unit. Do NOT tell the manager someone stole it and switched it, he's just going to say YOU STOLE IT and switched it (trust me).

The Q4-03 unit is from 2008, it is pictured here: http://www.nextar.com/frontend/proddetail.asp?pn=Q4-03&co=10000312

It is NOT the same as the 43NT-C unit at all (as you noted as you can't find the reset switch) except for the screen size is the same (which is why I guess they took back the return, I bet they even stuck the "screen protector back on" to fool the manager).

Edited by - yuprules on 17 juil. 2009 20:23:23
Go to Top of Page

gps_addicted

42 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2009 :  21:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone confirm this unit (43nt-c) runs on WinCe 5. In addition, what is the CPU speed? Your response is appreciated.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

onehandsolo

5 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2009 :  06:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPS addicted

the clock speed is over 400 Mhz
as shown here

and it uses 5.0, i've checked
Go to Top of Page

Khepera93

5 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2009 :  16:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, let me say a big THANK YOU for the information already provided in this thread. It made a $35 thrift-store purchase really worth the money.

Second, let me identify exactly what I have, both for those that might offer advice, and for those looking for information.

I have a Nextar M3-06, manufacture date on box September 2008. It is running Windows CE 5, and has an Odyssey navigtation system. I have followed the instructions above, to some degree, and am able to get to the Windows CE environment by pressing the "PHOTO" icon. (A small change to the original instructions.)

Using ActiveSync, which was already installed on my computer for my Dell Pocket PCs, I was able to install two different GPS programs within the CE environment. I installed Microsoft Pocket Streets and Beeline GPS - both of which were able to find and utilize the GPS receiver on COM7. I assigned the "MUSIC" button on the original splash screen to start BeelineGPS (which is a Geocaching program that not only guides you to the cache using the coordinates, but also is supposed to display information about the cache itself - I assume in an Internet Explorer window.)

Now for my big question: In the Windows CE environment, there is no Internet Explorer. I'm sure it isn't something that the Nextar/Navteq software needs in order to run, however - Beeline GPS has a function to call up individual information on Geocaches - which would normally display in an P(ocket)I(nternet)E(xplorer) window. I have tried installing various non-Microsoft browsers with varying degrees of success - NONE of them, however, are called to open the Beeline GPS information - it just takes me to a file explorer window.

Any idea how I might get Internet Explorer or some sort of browser into the Windows CE environment AND MOST IMPORTANTLY set it as a default application to open any calls for an HTML/HTM reader/browser?

Thanks, and I hope I was clear as to what I'm trying to achieve!!

Happy Holidays!
Go to Top of Page

JESnow89

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2010 :  06:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I just hacked/unlocked my Nextar Q4-01 and that is awesome. I have not done the task bar yet but I plan to very soon. I was just wondering if you could give links to the items that you have placed on your GPS system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Spz0

3 Posts

Posted - 17 mars 2010 :  22:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have a Q4-01, but in my residentflash folder, there is no DSHELL folder. Only $MSD$, with a .cfg file in it, and my "OdesseyNavi" folder.
In Root "ResidentFlash", I have an autorun.ini file that is pointing to my odessey software in "ResidentFlash/OdesseyNavi/Bin/Odessey.exe"
If I change this to point to explorer, will WinCE run?

Any help would be great!! :)
Go to Top of Page

musclecardaddy

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2010 :  06:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same as Spz0. I have a Q4-01 running Odyssey. I do have mine hacked with xtyler92's unlock, but everytime I want to use the "other" GPS software, I have to open the task manager and terminate "Launch.exe". Also, none of my personal settings (backlight timer, night and day mode, ect.) save if I reboot. Everything goes back to default.

I have looked for and searched for the mysterious "Launch.exe" to just delete it or change the code with no luck.

Anyone know anything about the Odyssey series of Nextar? I am out of ideas.

Nextar Q4-01
Go to Top of Page

musclecardaddy

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11 avr. 2010 :  22:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured it out. i had to edit the MSCR file.

Nextar Q4-01
Go to Top of Page

svrwthr

2 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2010 :  20:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is for the 43NT not the Q4. Both are obsolete, 43NT as of 4/16 which sucks because I got mine for xmas. They want me to upgrade to the newer model for $89.99 plus shipping old one back to them to recycle.

As for the original way of hacking this it doesn't work for 43NT-C's. It may work for the non -C units but not the 43NT-C. The 43NT-C has no dshell. It does however have AUTORUN which is written \ResidentFlash\OdysseyNavi\Bin\Odyssey.exe You may be able to change that to \Windows\wceload.exe or whatever is the OS executable in the Windows folder. Then you are most likely going to have to shortcut to the Odyssey.exe executable in you windowsce desktop. I haven't tried it nor am I going to until someone can confirm this. I am not messing up my toy until confirmed. If confirmed then I will attempt it.
Go to Top of Page

Martuni

1 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2010 :  03:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey svrwthr, I never tried to hack the 43NT unit itself. But, it's pretty easy to get iGo Amigo running on the unit, if that interests you. The way I did it was:

Download the Amigo that shares maps with iGo8 (I don't remember if I found it at GPS Underground or TechSmartTips) the package contains Amigo and iGO8 (the maps are 2009).
Rename Amigo "iGO"...rename Amigo/Amigo "iGO".
Format a 2gb SD card (not SDHC) as Fat (not Fat32).
Copy everything to the SD card.
That's it.

Amigo runs great on the 43NT. Amigo is a simple, and user friendly routing software. Maybe this will bring that 43NT back to life for you.

Now, I have a question about the Q4. Does anyone know if the process that i described above will work with the Q4. woot! is selling them for $49.95 today.
Go to Top of Page

rudagray

8 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2010 :  14:51:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Q4-01 Refurbs at buy.com for 59.95- Do these accept SDHC? or only SD? and what is internal memory size?

quote:
Originally posted by Martuni

Hey svrwthr, I never tried to hack the 43NT unit itself. But, it's pretty easy to get iGo Amigo running on the unit, if that interests you. The way I did it was:

Download the Amigo that shares maps with iGo8 (I don't remember if I found it at GPS Underground or TechSmartTips) the package contains Amigo and iGO8 (the maps are 2009).
Rename Amigo "iGO"...rename Amigo/Amigo "iGO".
Format a 2gb SD card (not SDHC) as Fat (not Fat32).
Copy everything to the SD card.
That's it.

Amigo runs great on the 43NT. Amigo is a simple, and user friendly routing software. Maybe this will bring that 43NT back to life for you.

Now, I have a question about the Q4. Does anyone know if the process that i described above will work with the Q4. woot! is selling them for $49.95 today.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05