Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 "All in One" Navigation Systems
 New Navman Road Systems - F20, N20, N40i and N60i
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gpspassion

93964 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2004 :  16:24:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fall 2006 - Four New Navman AIOs
F20, N20, N40i and N60i

iCN F20

iCN N20

iCN N40i

iCN N60i

News item on the portal
While the entry level iCN330 has done well, it seems the high-end iCN720/750 have not generated much interest in spite of their innovating NavPix (picture geocoding) feature. Hopefully this will change with the new AIO range that Navman is preparing for the fall, the F20, N20, N40i and N60i. Gone are the three digit names as well as the SmartST interface as we knew it since the iCN630 came out in 2003. The stylish interface premiered on the iCN720 and 750 has now been extended to all the models. Here's what we know so far on the new range :

1. New software : the whole range has now been outfitted with the stylish new version of SmarST 2006 premiered on the iCN 720 and 750 on the spring and tested on the iCN 750 (in the French forums). It seemed to me at the time to still be in the "development" phase in light of its faily slow response times, we'll see if this has changed

2. SiRFstarIII
  3. : the powerful chipset has made it to all the models now, including the entry level F20.
  4. TeleAtlas 2006 maps : while the TeleAtlas 2005.1 maps of the 330/530/720/750 had disappointed users and probably hurt the sales of the high-end models when the competition was using TeleAtlas 2006.1, the news range has now moved to these newer maps as well

5. Camera and NavPix : after being limited to the high-end 720 and 750 units, this innovative picture geocoding feature is being brought to the middle of the range as well on the N40i. I wasn't convinced by the NavPix feature (see this article), but more users may encourage Navman to improve it.

6. High resolution screen - only the N60i keeps the 16/9 hi-resolution 480x272 screen used on the 720/750 models.[/*]

To be continued !

Spring 2006- Three New Navman Standalone Road Systems - 530/530/750!

Navman Class of '06 - The iCN 750 and 530 on the right

The 750 is the first AIO with a built-in camera

The iCN330 takes the basic iCN320 launched in 2005 and adds a real moving map, no touchscreen, but the numerous buttons make up for it. The iCN530 and iCN750 are the first SiRFstarIII Navman AIOs. While the iCN 530 is an improved (think faster) iCN510/520 on a Mitac Oscar platform, the iCN 750 breaks new ground with a new UI and a built-in camera for picture geocoding on the fly.

Questions, comments ?

2005 - Two New Navman Standalone Road Systems
iCN 320 and iCN 550 with TMC

Slightly ahead of last year's schedule, Navman have just introduced two new standalone systems, the basic iCN 320 and the advanced iCN 550 with TMC (traffic information), seen in picture on the right next to the intermediate iCN 520 model. Let's take a look at what these two new models have to offer based on the information published on mobinaute, a French website.

Items of note concerning the icN 320:
- designed to be an entry level navigation system and priced at an all-time €330 low.
- SiRFstarII - Xtrac 2 chipset
- no touchscreen
- 2D based navigation
- no external port for conneetion to a PC for POI import

Items of note concerning the icN 550:
- designed to be the flagship model, likely in place of the iCN 650. Priced at €799 and €899 with TMC
- 4GB Microdrive with full European coverage
- SiRFstarII - Xtrac 2 chipset
- External TMC module (USB versio of GNS FM9)
- Hardware buttons to find the closest petrol station or parking lot
- TMC in France (Mediamobile), the UK (Trafficmaster and RAC) and Germany (Bast)

Questions, comments ?

2004 - Three New Navman Standalone Road Systems - 510/635/650!

As seen at the Mondial de l'Auto 2004 in Paris

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Updated September 2004 - news on the portal
While the iCN 650 looks quite a bit like the iCN 635 announced in the USA in July, the iCN 510 is quite a surprise and a good one at that, at least on paper:

- Touchscreen (not on iCN 6xx so far)
- Internal rechargeable battery (none on iCN 6xx so far)
- SmarstST v3 software with importation of custom POI lists and proximity alerts
- List price of 699 euros

No further details on the iCN 650 at this time, but as Garmin readies for the release of the Quest and TomTom for the release of a "POI alert upgrade" for the GO (article on PocketGPS UK), it seems that Navman finally has a strong device to compete wih on this dynamic and competitive "All-in-One" road navigation market!

click to enlarge

Posted July 2004
Navman USA have just announced the iCN 635 that joins the existing line-up: the 620 released in late 2003 and the 630 released in early 2003. The iCN 635 breaks some new ground in several areas, notably with a "POI alert" feature that should be "Big in Europe"! Other additions in SmarST v3 include the display of on map elevation data, a first!

New Features:
- Infrared remote control
- USA basemap for long distance travelling and "mixable" with detailed maps
- Multi stop route planning
- Custom POIs and POI alarms (should be popular in Europe with the numerous fixed and mobile speedcams)
- On map graphical display of elevation data (a first!)

The iCN 635 should be available in the US in September for $750. Upgrades to SmartST v3 are planned for the iCN 630, but the remote will not be compatible.

Comments, questions, go ahead!

Ads

Robbie

52 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2004 :  03:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful! Did they say September of what year ;-)

Oohlala - nearest POI's!!!! More info here: http://www.automotive.com/news/25/5439/

Designed for road warriors and casual drivers alike, the iCN 635's intuitive graphic user interface is powered by the latest version of Navman's award-winning SmartST(TM) navigation software, providing detailed street-level mapping for the 48 contiguous states, Hawaii, Alaska and Canada. Key new SmartST(TM) V3.0 navigation software capabilities include active points of interest with on-approach notification settings and selectable sounds, a multi-destination routing tool for planning trips with several stops along the way, a "nearest POI" search utility, a pre-loaded North American base map that displays freeways and select primary roads for basic city-to-city navigating, a topographic polygon display for colorful elevation relief, a custom POI function allowing users to create, import or translate third party/custom POIs with personalized icons, user selectable speed alarms, and the latest 2004 map data from Tele Atlas, ensuring users are traveling with the most current road details available today.

Edited by - Robbie on 13 juil. 2004 03:46:53
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93964 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2004 :  09:10:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, I forgot to add that new "feature" to the summary, guess it's such an eye sore that there was no need to rub it in ;-)

m1mgd00

10 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2004 :  14:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see Navman is keeping pace with the competition with the additional base memory.

The press release didn't mention any details about upgrading SmartST for existing users. Any clues on when the upgrades will be available and what the pricing will be? I'm hoping "free"....

Mike
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93964 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2004 :  15:17:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I asked and was told they would be available, did you miss that part? ;-) No ETA or pricing at this time. V2 was free, I'm not sure they can do the same thing for v3 ;-)

Robbie

52 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2004 :  04:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
V2 is a good upgrade for a freebee but the maps took a step backwards and it launched close to a year late.

V3 sounds like a nice enhancement but I would not get my knickers in a knot just yet.

Edited by - Robbie on 14 juil. 2004 04:32:01
Go to Top of Page

Fuzzy John

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 15 juil. 2004 :  04:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ICN 635 seems to have an extra 128 MB of memory. The internal 64 MB is strictly for the software, not shared with maps as we have it now with the 630. If Navman releases V3 upgrades for the 630 we may not get all the features.
Go to Top of Page

m1mgd00

10 Posts

Posted - 15 juil. 2004 :  12:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy John

The ICN 635 seems to have an extra 128 MB of memory. The internal 64 MB is strictly for the software, not shared with maps as we have it now with the 630. If Navman releases V3 upgrades for the 630 we may not get all the features.

See http://www.navman.com/go/usa/products/icn630/index.html for the specs of the 630. According to Navman, the 630 has 64 mb of RAM for system memory and another 64 mb of flash memory for maps. So it would seem that the only physical difference between the 630 and the 635 is that the new model has 128 mb of flash memory for maps instead of 64 mb. Seems to me that the new features in V3 *should* work fine on the 630 (I did say "should," not "will").

Of course, Navman will have the final word on the subject.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93964 Posts

Posted - 15 juil. 2004 :  22:40:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes that's also my understanding and you can verify that by filling the 64mb of "map" ram.

By the way I've added a picture of the remote ;-)

Fuzzy John

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 17 juil. 2004 :  05:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by m1mgd00See http://www.navman.com/go/usa/products/icn630/index.html for the specs of the 630. According to Navman, the 630 has 64 mb of RAM for system memory and another 64 mb of flash memory for maps.

I see and I stand corrected.
Go to Top of Page

uffe73

15 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2004 :  22:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea if the SmartST v3 SW will run well on a PPC with 64MB? I've been promised a map update for Europe in October. Let's hope that it will include the SmartST v3 SW as well!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93964 Posts

Posted - 25 juil. 2004 :  00:26:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums!
We've really got no way to tell at this time, but there's no reason to thing it won't run as well as SmartST v1 or v2. Who have you been in touch with?

uffe73

15 Posts

Posted - 25 juil. 2004 :  09:15:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been in touch with Ryan H. at Navman Europe regarding map updates. His reply was:

"As we do not have a specific update process or have new maps avaliable via
the webite these are not advertised. The next data release will be in around
October which will be advertised by the website nearer the time."
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93964 Posts

Posted - 25 juil. 2004 :  20:28:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, sounds good!
Just so you know, I edited the last name, some people get concerned when it appears on the web ;-)

Ouestu

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2004 :  14:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
I an a newbie here (USA) and almost ready to get the navman iCN 630. But I saw about the 635. Do you now where I can get information since I did not see anything about it (635) on the Navman web site.
Thanks.

Ouestu
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93964 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2004 :  14:39:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums!
I'm not aware of any other spot to get information about the 635 at this time. Navman should be updating their site as we get closer to the release date. What were your questions?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05