Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2772

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 TomTom AIO Forums - www.GOTomTom.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom ONE and XL "IQ ROUTES" - 340
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 24 mars 2009 :  00:03:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TESTING - TOMTOM ONE and XL "IQ ROUTES"
ONE v5/140 and XL v3/340 - IQ Routes v2 - ALG - New Icons

Product page on the TomTom site >> LINK <<

1. PRESENTATION

TomTom had yet to announce a new mobile GPS device in 2009 (they announced the in-dash Renault Carminat TomTom and Toyota Yaris DUB1 in Europe at the Geneva car show), but here come the new ONE and ONE XL "IQ Routes" edition models, respectively the fifth and third models in the series.

They clearly take after the ONE v4 and ONE XL v2 models launched in late April 2008, with the hardware part getting a black finish instead of last year's silver. The real change is at the software level with the entry-level ONE and mid-level XL getting the advanced IQ Routes (route calculations and estimates based on statistical date versus by road category) and ALG feature (detailed lane guidance and 3D signs) of the high-end GO range.

These new devices are expected in Europe at the end of April with a price starting at €159. A North American launch is also planned and will occur later.

Questions, comments ?

2. PICTURE GALLERY

The boxes France and Euro version

Different views of the ONE XL and the ONE

ALG screen on the ONE XL v3

ALG screen on the ONE v5 - its first outing on a 3.5" screen

The new menus

3. PRESS RELEASE

quote:
Premium technologies including IQ Routes™ and advanced lane guidance available on new TomTom ONE and TomTom XL for the first time

Amsterdam, 23 March 2009 – TomTom, the world’s leading portable navigation solutions provider, today reveals two new versions of its world’s best-selling portable navigation devices. The new TomTom ONE IQ Routes™ and TomTom XL IQ Routes™ bring leading technologies previously only available on TomTom’s top-end TomTom GO* series, to the TomTom ONE and TomTom XL series for the first time. Additionally, the two new models have been revised completely and feature a high-quality black finishing as well as increased European map coverage**. They have a price point starting from €159.

“The new TomTom ONE and TomTom XL devices strengthen our mid-range product offering considerably through the combination of first-class navigation and competitive price points,” says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director of TomTom. “IQ Routes allows drivers to take those routes that only well-informed locals know. It takes away the stress of not knowing where to go and when to arrive, as well as giving you a faster route in up to 35% of all cases. In addition, advanced lane guidance gives drivers a safer and more confident feeling when dealing with complex roads.”

Driving with TomTom IQ Routes™
Because TomTom IQ routes knows the real speed on the roads…

… it knows the best route to take on a Sunday afternoon will take 59 minutes…
Whereas, the road situation on Monday morning means the best route is an entirely different route, which will take one hour and eight minutes.

Driving with TomTom IQ Routes ensures all users automatically obtain the most reliable travel and delay times on the screen of their device. Depending on the time
of the week or hour of the day drivers set off, the most efficient route will be calculated for that moment. It takes into account any factors that can delay drivers’ journeys based on facts derived from years of gathering anonymous historic speed measurements. Finally, TomTom’s advanced lane guidance feature makes navigating difficult junctions or crossing multiple lanes safer. It gives drivers timely vocal instructions and clearly indicates what lane or exit to take on the screen of the device, resulting in a much better view of their surroundings.

Safety alerts & Fuel prices
To save money on fines and fuel, a free trial is included in the box of the new TomTom ONE and TomTom XL, which gives users access to the most up-to-date safety camera information and latest fuel prices when traveling within the region. Any new updates, including accident black spots, mobile safety camera locations and new fuel prices can easily be downloaded via TomTom HOME. After the free three-month trial (For UK and The Netherlands only), a one-year subscription is available for €39,95.

In addition to the above mentioned features, the new TomTom ONE and TomTom XL devices come with:
- TomTom’s newest user menu with high quality icons as currently available on the top-end TomTom GO x40 LIVE series
- matching black EasyPort™ mount that easily folds to fit in any bag or shirt pocket
- enhanced Map Coverage including a regional version with Tele Atlas maps and a European model with Tele Atlas maps of 42 countries**
- TomTom RDS-TMC traffic receiver in the box, to have access to the latest traffic information (dependent on region)
- TomTom Map Share™ technology so users can instantly make map corrections on their device and share those with others
- TomTom HOME, the free desktop application to keep users’ devices up-to-date at all times. New maps, safety camera locations or software versions can be downloaded and users can personalise their device by installing and sharing new, fun content such as voices and car icons
- TomTom Help Me! menu and extensive safety features to help in case of a wide range of difficulties, including direct access to emergency and road-side assistance services.

Availability
The new TomTom ONE and TomTom XL IQ Routes editions are expected to be in stores across by mid-April 2009. For more information: http://www.tomtom.com/page/ONE_XL_IQRoutes

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2009 :  22:51:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The TomTom ONE IQR (v5/140) has come in for testing, a smart looking GPS in a smart box !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2009 :  10:11:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the road with the GO 630 and GO 740 :

Go to Top of Page

cdavidhess

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 22 avr. 2009 :  04:37:04  Show Profile  Visit cdavidhess's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have just replaced my 130S with a 140S. I find that the IQ Routes makes a dramatic difference. It chooses routes most likely to be chosen by a local driver. Even some locals could learn some better routes from this thing. I have only had it a couple of days, but by using the route planing feature and comparing it to previous GPS units I have owned by Navman, Mio, and Garmin, I can say that this GPS provides the best routing yet!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 22 avr. 2009 :  11:28:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I'd found IQ Routes v1 to make a big difference in the US where the TomTom systems (and TeleAtlas systems on the whole) often suggested odd routes, the routes where on par with Garmin though, feel free to post your test routes here : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109732

Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2009 :  13:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope TomTom eventually adds those features on older TomTom One models. I am reluctant to buy a new unit since the new mouting system is awkward and I need a long arm to keep the PNA accessible and not blocking the view on any part of the windshield of my car (so I bought the alternate mounting kit). Also I have many months left from my map update subscription (it might be possible to transfer to a new unit, but I suspect it won't be a quick process). Not to mention the TMC accesory I currently use is most likely not compatible with new models. With all these "bumps" does TomTom really expect old customers to upgrade hardware? Hopefully in the past they did a good job updating the software for all existing models, let hope the same will happen.

Samsung Galaxy SIII | TomTom Carminat
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2009 :  15:41:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd asked about adding the new IQR and ALG features to the older models and was told there were no plans for that. Clearly annoying but in today's market they need to give "incentives" for existing users to upgrade.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2009 :  14:45:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Moved from the Mapshare topic, posted by Robogps:
quote:
Originally posted by cliff denby

I'm hearing alot of negative feedback about theTomTom xl340s inability to update its map. Apparently the new map takes up too much memory for the unit and will not only not download, but wipes away / errases the existing map rendering ti useless. Supposedly the company is ware of th eissue but doing littel or nothig to corrct it other than telling customers to send it in to be replaced with the exact same thing. Has anyone heard if this issue has been resolved. I would like to know before I open a black fri. purchase and get charged a restocking fee upon its return.

Seems the xl 340s and 140s have limited storage place. The fix for this is to remove all computer voices (text to speech) via HOME except the one you're using. TTS voices are large files and this frees up space. Now you should be able to download maps.

Of course, you should back up all your files to your computer prior to running any updates so you don't render your unit useless.

Go to Top of Page

ocellaris

1 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2010 :  16:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, MAKES THE FORUMS EASIER TO READ, THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
The problem is that these issues have been happening for a long time with various map updates and TomTom is not resolving anything. This was happening with some 1x0 units and was never resolved in a decent manner. One of the first things a lot of people do with a GPS is update the map. In the case of the 340XL, the unit tries to pull in the "normal" updated map while the "map update for 2GB devices" is showing on the list for $69.99. Why can't they just send these device the right map update the first time?!?

The normal map update can brick the unit right out of the box, this happened to both myself and a friend after we bought 340XLs (we got up at 3AM on Black Friday to stand in line and buy these). Completely unacceptable, and that TomTom desktop manager app is so terrible they should never expect anyone to sit through using that to back up a unit before a simple update destroys it (I actually did backup my unit before the update though, and after the update failed, the backup failed to restore the device correctly). I returned my 340XL for a refund and bought a Garmin. My friend got another 340XL since TomTom later told him the issue was resolved. Then he tried to update it again and it screwed up his replacement device.

That is 3 for 3 unit getting screwed up by doing a basic update, and spread out over a ~5 week timeframe too. TomTom's ability to respond to situations like this is downright dreadful. This is a very basic fix on there end, it should have been resolved withing 24 hours of the first set of 1x0XL users bricking their units.

Edited by - ocellaris on 11 janv. 2010 17:03:40
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2010 :  18:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. I just bought an XL 340S Live, and because of some of the threads here about problems on both Garmin and TomTom units, the first thing I did was back it up with the TomTom Home application. While the application is a bit cumbersome... and slow (USB 1.1 speeds, I believe, contribute to this)... it did actually work without issue. After that, I proceded to update the maps using the latest available. Again, although this was slow, it did work perfectly. I did not delete any voices to do this, and have since added a different TTS voice as well, and so far everything seems to "fit".

Since everything worked, I haven't tried to actually use the backup to do anything. Maybe I should, just to see if I can get it to work.

TomTom XL 340S LIVE, GO LIVE 2535M, XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) in LA traffic
Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (worthy, but retired)
Go to Top of Page

dhn

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2010 :  14:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suggest NEVER using Home for backups/restores. Too many issues. Use Explorer or Finder on a Mac.
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 25 févr. 2011 :  18:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll just revive this old topic with an update!

I've been living with my XL 340S Live for a year now. I have backed it up with TomTom Home every time I needed a major update. I have even restored it from TomTom Home, but just once (a system restore is not generally something I would expect to have to do on a regular basis, even once a year). I have also installed Home on two different computers and backed it up again with those each time.

My conclusion: each and every time, although the process is not lightning fast, it has worked flawlessly, so I am certainly not complaining about USB 1.1 speeds for the transfer.

Three questions though: I just bought an XL 340 TM. I am reading here that I might want to carry out my initial backup with Windows Explorer, not TomTom Home.

1) What is the reason behind this?
2) Do I just copy every file on the unit over to the computer hard drive, just as I would with a USB drive of any description?
3) Are there any advantages to creating backups with TomTom Home instead?

Go to Top of Page

dhn

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2011 :  12:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See the information in this link.
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2011 :  17:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah! Thanks dnh, That pretty much explains it! For the suggested reliability, I'll start just copying everything from the TomTom to my hard drive using Windows Explorer - which also means I can back up from my main Linux O.S. without even starting Windows. I only use Windows for TomTom Home now, nothing else. So, if I could just update my TomTom from Linux, I'd be even happier!

Anyone reading this, if you don't follow the link in the post above to get the detailed instructions, you must be certain to check that hidden files are shown in your folder options when using Windows Explorer.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05