Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2272

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 TomTom AIO Forums - www.GOTomTom.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom USA Map Update Subscription
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2010 :  06:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that a price reduction I see? $40 for one year of updates seems quite reasonable ... now if only they would offer some form of lifetime subscription for an attractive price too!

TomTom XL 340S LIVE, GO LIVE 2535M, XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) in LA traffic
Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (worthy, but retired)
Go to Top of Page

dhn

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2010 :  14:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thirty minutes ago, I renewed my North_America_2gb subscription for my 720. Eighteen months for the price of twelve. While we Canadians are charged in Euros, the cost was 39.8 Euros, which today works out to about $55.50 Canadian.

So, 6 more maps for $55+. Not too bad.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2010 :  14:43:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes they are currently running a "buy a 12 month subscription get 6 months for free" program...getting closer to the lifetime offer ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2010 :  01:41:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lifetime maps and Lifetime Traffic are now available according to Club TomTom. What's not clear is they apparently ship with new units (ONE, not the GO, Update : GO units are concerned, see the link below) and are not available as a separate purchase.

quote:
TomTom Lifetime Map and Traffic Update models now available

New features empower users with the accuracy of TomTom’s most up-to-date maps, as well as real-time traffic information that helps them avoid traffic delays and other hassles on the road.

Lifetime Map Updates
TomTom’s Lifetime Map Updates feature allows users to keep their maps fresh by downloading, every few months, the industry’s most accurate and up-to-date maps. The maps include one million more miles than competing maps and, in certified tests, rate highest in terms of quality and reliability.

Lifetime Traffic Updates
TomTom’s Lifetime Traffic Updates feature offers real-time insight into traffic to help drivers avoid delays. The TomTom device receives the latest traffic information every three minutes, recalculates total drive time and suggests more efficient alternate routes if they are available.

TomTom Lifetime Traffic

Select TomTom devices across the TomTom XL and TomTom XXL product lines are now available with Lifetime Map Updates, Lifetime Traffic Updates or a combination of these features. Pricing starts at $199.95 MSRP and varies by model.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2010 :  06:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Available right now only through Amazon. This search pops up all the available models.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=tomtom+lifetime+maps&x=0&y=0
Go to Top of Page

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2010 :  17:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well once again I am a day late (well 31) and a dollar short. I wonder if TomTom is going to help some of out who just purchased a unit. I just purchased a 740 Live a week ago.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2010 :  05:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DavidT, the included maps on the 740TM aren't truly "free". They added a premium, roughly the cost of 2 years of maps updates. If you keep your 740 2 years or less, which is pretty normal, you haven't lost anything. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2010 :  19:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2010 :  01:30:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offthegrid

Available right now only through Amazon. This search pops up all the available models.
Good catch, thanks for the link, so the GOs are indeed included.

Would be nice if they made the Lifetime option available for existing users at some point...

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2010 :  08:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That price also includes a lifetime of free TMC traffic although whats not mentioned is the added cost of a tmc antenna. I didn't even think there was a tmc antenna for the 740 but still on the 740 and the 340 there is a TM version while the 340 also has an M only version with the difference for lifetime traffic being only $30 dollars on the 340 which isn't bad for free traffic with no ads (if thats the case).

Whats being missed here is that with lifetime maps and a unit that gets traffic there isn't a lot of incentive to upgrade if one is satisfied with the units performance. It changes the dynamic of 'normal'.

quote:
Originally posted by gatorguy

DavidT, the included maps on the 740TM aren't truly "free". They added a premium, roughly the cost of 2 years of maps updates. If you keep your 740 2 years or less, which is pretty normal, you haven't lost anything. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

continued : The Amazon price for a new 340 Live right now is $170. The 340 Live M with lifetime maps is $230. So with no discounting going on because its a prerelease price lifetime maps is $60. The non lifetime maps units are also being phased out at the same time meaning they are being heavily discounted by some. A 740 at Best Buy right now is $299 while the lifetime maps and traffic edition is $330.

If I has just bought one of these I'd return it and wait a month or two.
Go to Top of Page

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2010 :  23:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is that to say (at least for the 740 live) the lifetime of traffic is only via the antenna? If that is the case then it is only via the FM receiver here in the states and not via the live simm card of the unit. If this is so then there will be many places with no traffic available. This is why the last time I went via the phone connection, and now via the web direct. The antenna is simple not available in many locations.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2010 :  23:11:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would be it yes, but is RDS reception that spotty? I guess an argument could be made that were you don't get RDS reception you won't be running into traffic, like on Highway 50, and even though you might have an active connection to the LIVE server you wouldn't be shown any incident ;-)

@offthegrid -I haven't looked up the cost of a TomTom yearly subscription again, but $60 doesn't sound too bad for lifetime Maps, cheaper than Garmin's optional nuMaps Lifetime, but I agree that compared to the current price of a GPS it's getting expensive...and GPS systems are probably too cheap. Manufacturers are clearly hoping to sell cheap systems and then make money on services, seems ambitious now with all these smartphones around.

Go to Top of Page

gemro311

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2010 :  09:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TomTom Lifetime T and M Shuffle
TomTom recently announced lifetime map and traffic subscriptions. If you thought that they were going to be available just as an afterthought, you were wrong - they are now going to find their way into the product line as distinct items (SKU's) offering a bit of a dizzying array of products for purchase. The good thing is that decoding the TomTom Traffic and Map Shuffle is pretty straight forward.
• Base product - No Lifetime maps or traffic
• Base product +"T" - Lifetime RDS Traffic Service
• Base Product + "M" - Lifetime Map upgrades
• Base Product + TM" - Lifetime Traffic Service and Map upgrades

What's this mean in real world terms? It means a lot of products available for purchase (TomTom Traffic and Map Units Available for Pre-Order -late April for shipment).

• TomTom XL 335 S - 4.3-inch widescreen plus maps of the US and Canada and Text to Speech - $159
• TomTom XL 335T - Adds Lifetime Traffic Service - $189
• TomTom 335M - Adds Lifetime Maps - $189
• TomTom 335TM - Adds both - $219
• TomTom XL 340S - Same as XL 335 but adds maps of Mexico - $125 - buy it now
• TomTom XL 340T - Adds Lifetime Traffic Service - $199
• TomTom XL 340M - Adds Lifetime Maps - $199
• TomTom XL 340TM - Adds both - $229

Add TomTom LIVE services.

• TomTom XL 340M LIVE - Same as XL 340 but adds LIVE Services and Lifetime Maps - $229
• TomTom XL 340TM LIVE - Adds both - $259

Move up to the 5-inch screen unit.

• TomTom XL 540T - a 5-inch screen and has Lifetime Traffic Service - $229
• TomTom XL 540M - Adds Lifetime Maps - $229
• TomTom XL 540TM - Adds both - $259
• TomTom XL 540TM World Traveler - Adds European Maps - $299

Nuvi 3597LMTHD and HTC One M8
Go to Top of Page

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2010 :  17:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

That would be it yes, but is RDS reception that spotty? I guess an argument could be made that were you don't get RDS reception you won't be running into traffic, like on Highway 50, and even though you might have an active connection to the LIVE server you wouldn't be shown any incident ;-)

@offthegrid -I haven't looked up the cost of a TomTom yearly subscription again, but $60 doesn't sound too bad for lifetime Maps, cheaper than Garmin's optional nuMaps Lifetime, but I agree that compared to the current price of a GPS it's getting expensive...and GPS systems are probably too cheap. Manufacturers are clearly hoping to sell cheap systems and then make money on services, seems ambitious now with all these smartphones around.

It is not that the RDS is so spotty, it is that the constant search and not knowing the status. For example 95 north from Baltimore to NY (GW bridge).
1) 95 the last 20 miles in MD no fm coverage
2) 95 Delaware spotty
3) Southern end of the NJ Turnpike from exit 1 to exit 4 about 40 miles no coverage.

On a holiday weekend this is traffic plus in terms of backups.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2010 :  15:53:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We know have a [TOPIC] TomTom GPS with Lifetime Map Updates topic and the first problems ;-)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,97 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05