Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 12xx/13xx/1490 - User Reviews - v5.20
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2009 :  00:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clarification, Don. In your first post, you it made it seem as if NO streets are displayed at all which is the reasoning for my "WTH mode".

Yes the additional enhanced Pedestrian features shown in my screen shot are only available with the cityXplorer maps available for additional purchase.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

TTM77

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2009 :  01:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Don

TTM77, you can get more screen info (except for street names!) by going to the MAP screen, scroll down to MAP DATA Layout, and select MORE DATA. This will bring up additional, customizable fields, however it takes up a third of the screen. But with the bigger screen, that might be OK. Gpspassion shows this on his detailed preview.

I just went to gpspassion's page and it's not what my 265wt have. I cannot find a way to have it show like that.

Here are some comparison with my Mio.

The signal thing on the Garmin, I don't know what happen but it had some issue connectiong until I play around with the "GPS SNR LOGGING" screen. Now it's back to normal.

Anyway, you can see clearly the Mio display more info. I'm still looking for new ways to edit the Mio's skin. Is there a way we can edit for the Garmin?

Also, there were several times my Garmin reboot. Did this happen to any of you?

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 11 juil. 2009 05:05:06
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2009 :  10:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Garmin has removed the display street names to save CPU power.
None of Garmins Nüvi has had enough CPU.

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"
Go to Top of Page

Don

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2009 :  22:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, figured out how to post some pictures. Hope this helps.

Here is a street view near my house, maximum detail. You can see that only 2 out of about 30 streets are labeled

Here is what happens if I zoom in. There is no more street detail.

I can get the street name, only if I click on a street in Browse Map.

There are some areas that do get more street names.

More observations on the 1490:

The movement of the screen when touched is still a major annoyance and will need to be fixed.

I have lost the settings for language, Bluetooth, volume, brightness, etc, more than once.

Traffic reporting does not appear to work, although I haven't had it on for more than 1 hour yet in the car. Subscription says that it’s OK. My 760 (different receiver) used to pick up traffic within 5 to 10 minutes.

The screen tends to get washed out in bright, direct sun, much more so than my original 760 did.

660>760>1490T
Currently own a 2460LMT
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  04:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Between missing street names,no external antenna jack. I think I'll pass on this one (1490) as well and see what the fall brings. I'll keep my 2720 for now. It navigates real well.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Previous owned Garmin 48,76cs,210. Nuvi 880,1490T.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  06:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some comparison screen shots of the exact same area posted by Don. You'll notice that the street names that are actually being displayed seems different or maybe even random, which seems to be normal. But I definitely notice a trend with the shots I posted and those posted by Don of the 1490. That trend is that more and more street detail is being removed from each newer series starting with the 760. Maybe we will soon have no street names displayed on the map at all...

nuvi 765 map navigation screen @ 300ft zoom

nuvi 760 map navigation screen @ 300ft zoom

nuvi 765 map panning screen @ 300ft zoom

nuvi 760 map panning screen @ 300ft zoom

nuvi 765 map panning screen @ 200ft zoom

nuvi 760 map panning screen @ 200ft zoom

Edited by - SergZak on 12 juil. 2009 06:42:31
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  06:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin's focus is to reduce the detail and eventually go to voice guidance only from what I can ascertain...not sure I agree, but that is what I am guessing...

If you think about what they have done, it's all about reducing liability and keeping the drivers eyes on the road, which is the responsible thing to do...but, it does reduce some of the functionality. I guess they figure there's no reason to show the streets if you are not routing to them, which makes sense. I notice that too many drivers (me included) spend too much time playing with the GPS while driving, instead of paying attention to the road. Too many times I find myself wandering out of the lane, because I'm paying more attention to the GPS than the road.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  06:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that's the case, what's the point of 3D Buildings (useless to me) and Lane Assist and Junction View? Those are all 100% visual. I'm not disagreeing with you or your observation in any way, just wondering why *useful* info (like street names) is stripped from units yet visual eye-candy (like 3D Buildings) is added. The Lane Assist arrows by themselves are a HUGE help...

Also the stripping of street names from *map panning mode* (while not navigating) does not make *any* sense to me. In this mode, the user (such as myself) is basically using the nuvi as a 2D map to get info around them such as street names. Now imagine going and buying a paper map or atlas, opening it up and (of course) all the streets are there BUT, no street names are on it. Now how useful will THAT be?

Edited by - SergZak on 12 juil. 2009 07:11:38
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  13:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a traveling salesman.I tow a large trailer sometimes and if I miss a street it's tough to turn around.
Lot's of times the address won't come up in the Garmin when we search. I find street names do help in finding a street though process of elimation and customers references. I don't own maps anymore. The ads say "Throw away the maps you won't need them anymore" LOL but a gps with no steet names? At least keep them in when zoomed in. There will be lot's of room that way and have an option for smaller text if thats a problem for some.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  16:37:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SergZak
Also the stripping of street names from *map panning mode* (while not navigating) does not make *any* sense to me. In this mode, the user (such as myself) is basically using the nuvi as a 2D map to get info around them such as street names.
Agreed, which is odd considering they have implemented a much better "pan and center" feature with the new pedestrian mode...actually, maybe they've done that in the "car mode" to force people to use that mode ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

moofy

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  20:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don, your review is MUCH appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  20:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SergZak

If that's the case, what's the point of 3D Buildings (useless to me) and Lane Assist and Junction View?

Come one, you know the answer to that question. They make for cool product screenshots and bragging rights.

I spent a little while playing with the new models in Best Buy just now. They do feel more responsive than the older models in map zooming and panning, which is a welcome change. But the absence of street names was immediately noticeable to me, especially in pedestrian mode.
Go to Top of Page

Don

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  21:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don’t really know what Garmin’s motivation is on slowly eliminating the street-name detail. When Garmin support told me last week that “This is not a mapping device, it’s a navigation device”, it seems that they had their excuse lined up. In any case, it seems rather paradoxical to go backwards in features with newer units. As SergZak shows, the street names in map-panning mode went from almost all of them in the 760, to about half in the 765, to none in the 1490. I didn't mind losing the MP3, headphone jack, FM transmitter and 3D buildings. I'd be willing to forsake the convenience of the powered cradle and the related "locate" function. But losing the street names? That's an important feature that gets to the fundamental of what should be called a “Mapping/Navigation device”.

This is on top of a less-bright screen, map movement using your finger that is very frustrating to use, a traffic receiver and Bluetooth that barely work, and Garmin support that seems to be lacking: difficulty getting through, a non-existent 1490 manual, and no on-line support. All-in-all, unless there are some quick updates for this model, it is not worth the $500 asking price. To get a 760 for less than $200 would be a much better deal, on what seems to be one of the best products that they ever made. I’m sorry my 760 broke.

660>760>1490T
Currently own a 2460LMT
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  21:42:58  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure I agree with the "less bright" screen, I'll pull out my 760 but the 1490 is plenty bright and brighter than the competition. Also see my comment on the street names just above.

Have you had a chance to check the main software and GPS software versions ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2009 :  21:51:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just give me a SP2720 in a 1490 case and a remote..I"d be happy.
I next day ordered a 7200 this week hopeing it would somehow fit in my large 08 F350 dash area. No way it had to go back. I was hopeing the 1490 would suffice. Not now thanks to Don. I think I realize what's going on in the software dept at Garmin now. Big turn over with the help there I bet. All young ones never even owning a SPilot that made them famous. They probably don't know what there missing. Tom Tom etc. seems to be reuseing features that Garmin has dropped aren't they? Maybe Tom Tom will bring back street names as well?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05