Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 12xx/13xx/1490 - User Reviews - v5.20
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2009 :  11:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess, Garmin tries to cut costs.

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2009 :  11:36:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryguyMN

I don't understand why these higher end units for the new models wouldn't have a powered cradle. That seems pretty basic. Geez...even the old 350 has that!
Well that's the thing the nuvi 1xx0 series is Garmin's new "entry-level" so they need to keep some features for the "high-end", so far that includes a powered mount and 3D buildings and landmarks, compared to the nuvi 765.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

MrT-Man

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  05:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried a 7xx in the store today and was really disappointed by the slow screen refresh, when you're in 2D mode and move the map around. The only review I've seen of the 13xx says that it's much more snappy in drawing maps... I think I'm almost tempted to give up the powered cradle & 3D buildings for that.

Grr, I wish Garmin didn't force me to have to make choices like that.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  17:34:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll reserve judgement on my 1490 test unit until I have the final software loaded but it has the same "problem" as the 765, maps can be slow to get refreshed. I'd be surprised if it was any different on the 13xx models as they use the same display engine. Only a side by side test could verify that there actual differences.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  22:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by "refresh"? when driving along a road steadily and the map refreshes keeping your position accurate? Or when you zoom in or out?while it's Auto Zooming?

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Previous owned Garmin 48,76cs,210. Nuvi 880,1490T.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  22:32:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No it's mostly when you drag the map in 2D mode. Not very visible for car use but mich more with the new pedestrian mode.

Go to Top of Page

MrT-Man

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  22:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion, I'd be extremely interested to hear your thoughts on the 1490 vs the 7xx series -- although I guess you'd probably prefer to save them for a formal review.

But from the sounds of it, would it be fair to conclude that the differences are pretty much as outlined on the spec sheet (the City Xplorer capability, lack of 3d buildings, slightly tweaked UI, etc...) -- with no major unexpected surprises/improvements/disappointments? (you can answer yes/no if you don't want to steal thunder from your review! ;-)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2009 :  22:46:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will indeed wait for the final software to be available to pass judgement, in the meantime check out http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=268 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

bav

Belgium
44 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2009 :  23:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does somebody how to enable speaking the street names.
Seems like the 1350 does not. Is this a setting somewhere?

best regards
bav
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2009 :  23:58:48  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't used the 1350 but the whole 1xxx range is supposed to be TTS enabled, check that you have selected a TTS voice in the settings.

Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2009 :  01:41:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's like other Nuvi's you need to select Tools - Settings - Language - Voice. In the list of voices select one that ends in (TTS). Additional voices maybe available from your MyGarmin.com account on the Garmin website or by using Garmin's Webupdater program.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

MrT-Man

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2009 :  01:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit off topic, but I made a strange discovery (maybe you guys knew this already) -- the low end nuvis, like the 2xx series, don't seem to have the annoying lag when manually dragging/scrolling the 2D map view! weird that higher-end units like the 7xx (and apparently the 1490) have this issue.
Go to Top of Page

bav

Belgium
44 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2009 :  20:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more question;
can the voice be enabled in bicycle mode? In auto mode and pedestrian
mode this works.

best regards
bav
Go to Top of Page

Don

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2009 :  22:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't posted in a while but hello to anybody who missed me...

My 760 just died, and I'm thinking of getting the 1490T, but I'm not sure if I want to give up some features that I am used to. The biggest one is the lack of the powered cradle, which also means that it doesn't have the "locate" feature, which records your "last location" when you pull it off the mount. I use this and like the automatic feature (I never THINK I'm going to forget where my car is parked!).

I don't care about the FM transmitter being gone, since it didn't work for beans anyway, but losing the MP3 player is dissapointing. I don't really care about the 3D maps either, and I know there are some additional features on this new 5" model that I'll enjoy, but it is too bad about losing these others. And when others say that they are saving some of these features for their more expensive models, isn't $500 a "more expensive model", especially in this economy?

660>760>1490T
Currently own a 2460LMT
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2009 :  22:54:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome back ;-) Yes if you're used to the powered mount, you're going to be annoyed, you might want to look into getting the 765 instead.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05