Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Can I turn off Topo base map in Nuvi 265wt?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnyb

22 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  00:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all gpspassionists, I got this Nuvi 265wt for sometime now and realized that it is extremely slow to zoom the map because of the Topo base map. I remember my nuvi200 is so much faster coz it came without Topo base map.

Now can I turn the Topo bas map completely off while I don't need it at all?

Thanks so much!

Ads

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  02:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It should only affect zooming when you are way out, like 20 miles. The basemap shouldn't show at lower zoom levels. But there is a thread here about Garmin's free worldwide basemap, do a search. You *might* be able to replace it with that (gmapbmap.img). Then again, you might brick your Nuvi...
Go to Top of Page

johnnyb

22 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  03:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Boyd

It should only affect zooming when you are way out, l

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it only happens when zooming out far, but i do that ALOT when doing a long trip to check surrounding map, and it is quite inconvenient.

As you said it might brick the unit to replace the base map, do you mean even backing up the old "gmapbmap.img" and copy it back to the unit won't help to restore it?

thanks again.

Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  05:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can disable the basemap by renaming it. If the the name is incorrect on the unit, the nuvi won't recognize or use it. Just connect the nuvi to the PC via USB, browse to x:/Garmin and rename gmapbmap.img to something like gmapbmap.img.disabled. That way, you know that you disabled it at some point. To re-enable the basemap, simply rename it back to the original name (delete the .disabled).

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

johnnyb

22 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  11:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SergZak

You can disable the basemap by renaming it. If the the name is incorrect on the unit, the

Very clever solution! it worked. Thank you very much!

except two things:
1. it is STILL SLOWER than nuvi200 i don't know why.
2. when it is zoomed out to 200 miles, no map is displayed.

thanks all the same!
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
532 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  13:01:24  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Repleace your basemap with any other that you can get from Garmin, see topic:
http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64350&whichpage=8&REPLY_ID=661442

Or you can remove DEM data from your basemap. Copy and save gmapbmap.img from your nuvi. Then make new img with GMapTool and put it into your nuvi as \Garmin\gmapbmap.img:

popej
Go to Top of Page

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  13:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what about map detail in the map settings. the detail setting on your nuvi 200 might have been lower that it is on your nuvi 265wt.

but i guess you might have already thought of this

garmin is the way.
nuvi 300 > nuvi 350 > nuvi 660 > nuvi 255WT
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  15:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by popejOr you can remove DEM data from your basemap.

That's cool Popej - I never noticed the option to remove DEM in gmaptool.

Now all we need is a program to ADD dem to our maps!
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
532 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  18:02:29  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We need to know Garmin DEM data format first. It is possible to move DEM from one map to another but there is yet no known way to create own DEM for Garmin map.

popej
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  20:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My point exactly. And we also need to know how to create maps from raster imagery since the Oregon, Colorado and Nuvi 500 now support this. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119670#844204

Edited by - Boyd on 02 mars 2009 20:02:26
Go to Top of Page

johnnyb

22 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2009 :  00:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by popej

Repleace your basemap with any other that you can get from Garmin, see topic:

thank you so much for this well demonstrated solution! It worked!

but i guess the nature that nuvi265wt slower than nuvi200 is a fact. even the mapdetail of nuvi200 is set to "most" and 265wt is set to "normal".

all in all the interface itself has much slower response to any finger touch. such as "where to" "poi" "address" ...everything. but what I heard is that the 265wt has the faster CPU clockrate than the nuvi200. it makes me wonder.

anyway i am happy with the result. it is abit faster than before, thank you all!
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2009 :  01:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is odd. I have a 205 which should be same processor and it seems pretty zippy to me compared to the Nuvi 650 and 5000 I've used. But you are basing your conclusion on response speed when zoomed way, way out and that's something I just never do. I suppose the widescreen with its additional pixels, the traffic, bluetooth, etc might make the 265WT slower than the 205?
Go to Top of Page

johnnyb

22 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2009 :  01:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Boyd

I suppose the widescreen with its additional pixels, the traffic, bluetooth, etc might make the 265WT slower than the 205?

I played again with the 205 at the store today, the interface response (not only map) still much slower than my wife's old nuvi 200.

I agree that the widescreen with its additional pixels, the traffic, bluetooth, etc may be the factors for it is being slower.

yeah the new interface of 2x5s is more pleasant to look at, i guess that's the trade off.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,93 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05