Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2295

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Lowrance GPS Systems
 [TOPIC] Lowrance Endura Handhelds - User Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Team GpsPasSion

165 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2009 :  20:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Team GpsPasSion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
REVIEWS - LOWRANCE ENDURA HANDHELDS
Touchscreen - Hardware Buttons - 42 channel GPS Chipset - Accuterra Maps

Picture taken at the Endura Press Event on June 4th in Windermere, UK, in the Lake District

I was invited to take part in the European press launch of the new Lowrance Endura handhelds on June 4th in Windermere, UK, in the Lake District. While there is still some work being done on the devices, both hardware and software (like having "Track Up" for Raster Maps), they were already quite functional, so much so that we used them on the sporting/geocaching event that had been organized for us.

Picture by Anthony Nicolazzi who was on the same canoe ;-)

It started out with some canoeing across the lake, then a hike and then a mountain bike ride ! We had been equipped with the high end Sierra model and we were able to track ourselves on the topo and satellite maps, as well as create routes for the mountain bike section. That took some getting used to, but it's quite effective once you have the hang of it. For instance you can add new waypoints directly from the route creation mode, you don't have to create them before hand as you do on the Oregon. On the topic of waypoints it's handy to be able to record a voice memo to give a full description for later review.

Having Navteq fully routable road maps pre-loaded is quite handy too, another first on a handheld system after the satellite maps by Accuterra.

Picture by Anthony Nicolazzi

I had my Garmin Oregon 300 on hand loaded with the UK Topo Maps (not GB Discoverer) and they had little more than contour lines (very few trails for instance). While the Endura has a smaller screen, it catches the light better even though it is also a touchscreen and the hardware buttons will help when you have to use gloves.

I'll reserve judgement until the shipping software is available, but I quite liked what I saw (satellite and navteq road maps, form factor, route creation, voice memo capability, etc...) and it's good to see some competition on this promising market.

After exiting the market for GPS road systems late last year, Lowrance are back with the new Endura family of handheld systems that includes three models at launch : the Outback, the Safari and the Sierra with respective MSRPs of $230, $385 and $549.

They share the same form factor and a touchscreen, a feature that now seems a must on handhelds after it was first introduced on the Magellan Triton and they adopted by Garmin for the Oregon. The Safari adds a compass and a barometer, and the Sierra comes with 4Gb of internal memory loaded with topo and Navteq road maps. Technical details haven't been announced but it's likely they are using an integrated platform as Garmin is for the Oregon with the STM Cartesio

Questions, comments ?
Original post by rwamf : I know that these are not Iways, but the new Sierra will do Auto Routing. That new Sierra looks like it is going to be bad ass, 4 gig internal memory and accepts micro SDHC up 32gig. accepts GPX file from the card, and if they are like past Lowrance's it will not limit you to a measly 20 tracks at 500 points each like the Garmins.
Accuterra™ high-resolution topographic maps , extensive outdoor trails and POIs, as well as NAVTEQ® road network for contiguous 48 states too:clap with Auto Routing
Buttons and touch screen way cool.
Video Player? ..... I see, now I can watch motorcycle shows while I wait for my buddies to catch up, okay I like that too.
Built in speaker and a headphone jack,, Records and plays back voice notes to waypoints, finally.

But not out till may, Bummer

Team GpsPasSion

Ads

gpspassion

94027 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2009 :  20:42:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I was going to post a news time about these, we might as well use this section, it will just need some renaming down the road.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

davisdrafting

5 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2009 :  09:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the pic’s the map looks really cheesy. I’m interested in purchasing a GPS in the next few days. I think the Endura Out&Back might be the one. Could someone send some screen shots of the TOPO map that’s on the Out&Back in various zoom levels,preferably of this area so I can reference it to other GPS maps. or a link where I could see or demo the base map.

<iframe width="300" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=p&ll=40.064344,-121.707487&spn=0.019706,0.025749&z=14&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=p&ll=40.064344,-121.707487&spn=0.019706,0.025749&z=14&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Edited by - davisdrafting on 11 juin 2009 09:20:05
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94027 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2009 :  11:35:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That code is not working, use the "send link" feature of Google Maps and put it through tinyurl.

As for being "cheesy", not sure what you mean. I was in the UK last week for the European launch of the Endura and the maps looked ok to me. They had loaded the UK topo maps and some satellite maps too, accuterra possibly, and the basemaps were Navteq road maps. The raster maps don't have "track up" yet, only North Up, it's something they're working on.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2009 :  13:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, the Endura line is still vaporware at the moment. The global economic downturn may be contributing to its late arrival and slow development. Most e-tailers are showing it as either 'backorder' or 'available 2nd quarter of 09'. One shows it as available after June 16 and a few show it as available. It's pretty hit-or-miss.

The maps on the Sierra model are supposed to the most detailed of any handheld GPS ever. They're Accuterra™ high-resolution topographic maps and are supposed to be much better than the downloadable eTopo or BLM maps available for the XOG. Less expensive Endura models have progressively less-detailed maps, possibly from different (cheaper) map providers, but are listed as hill-shaded topo so will still be better than Lowrance's other base-map topo products. NavTeq maps appear to be installed on the Endura Safari and Sierra but actual turn-by-turn navigation is only available through a separate on-line purchase which enables it through a code key.

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94027 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2009 :  13:19:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Er...no, not vaporware, at least not in the sense that they don't exist, like I said I was at the European launch last week and they're looking at a june/july timeframe for the release, Sierra seen here next to my Garmin Oregon on a canoe outing ;-)
[/url]

Go to Top of Page

davisdrafting

5 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2009 :  20:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did use the send link button. This is all that’s needed anyways 40.064344, -121.707487

“Cheesy” Well just look at all the pic’s of the map on out&back (yellow one) Form the specifications on Lowrance, the Out&Back and
Safari should be the same mapping. I think they just chose a bad display for the display pic’s.

Funny how a bad display pic can make or break a purchase, had they put the picture of the map on the Safari on the Out&Back,I would have it on order already. LoL

As for the Sierra, the only reason I would buy it
is for the better base map but not worth the extra $$$
Go to Top of Page

davisdrafting

5 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2009 :  21:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm whats wrong with this email I receved from TigerGPS..

“Thank you for your recent email. The Endura is projected to be received by us on 06/17/09. This is the tentative date given to us by Garmin.
Thank you
Melissa
Tiger GPS”
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94027 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2009 :  22:29:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess they need to adjust to the new players on the market ;-) Anyway it seems it's coming soon !

Go to Top of Page

wahoowad

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 14 juin 2009 :  14:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very interested in seeing one of these Enduras as I am poised to make a handheld GPS purchase to replace my dead iFinder. I have been putting off buying one for about a month now. The Endura line looks to offer almost everything I want in a GPS for fishing from my small boat, except that it does not appear to float. Few do, but the other features are my primary buying reasons. I just wish Lowrance would offer more information as they have missed their own availability timelines.

The other GPS I am considering is the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, but that thing is several years old and I would like to get the most up to date features that the Lowrance is offering.

gpspassion - you seem to have used one. Any more review type info you can share?
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 14 juin 2009 :  16:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may have to remain poised a little longer. It appears (from outside - I have no inside info) that Lowrance is holding back on shipping them for some reason, probably technical. Not too surprising since this will be the most powerful, feature-rich GPS they've ever made - all stuffed into a handheld form-factor.

Give it some time...

Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94027 Posts

Posted - 14 juin 2009 :  16:29:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes there were quite a few important features missing on the units we used last week in the Lake District, like track up for the raster maps (works ok with vector maps though). I'll wait for the shipping software to pass judgement as well, but I quite liked what I saw and experienced, the ability to use both a touchscreen and buttons is convenient, as opposed to the Garmin 60Csx that only has buttons or the Garmin Oregon that has none.

Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 14 juin 2009 :  16:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know it's technically possible to rotate the map for track-up display as well as for 3-D because the XOG currently does this already.

It's likely to be a simple lack of time on the programmer's and beta-tester's parts that's delaying it. Remember, Lowrance has been hit hard by the global economic slowdown and their cancellation of all automotive GPS products. I suppose they may have lost some people which would, of course, slow down their software development and testing cycle. When they finally DO hit the user's hands, they'll likely still contain tons of bugs which will be fixed down the road.

Anyone remember the 500c? It came out with so many updates that for a time Lowrance appeared to have lost touch with what upgrades required what maps etc. We had all sorts of problems with those in the early release timeframe up through the final software release nearly 4 years later.

That's not to say the Endura will be a bad product - just that it likely is being held back till it at least 'works' somewhat acceptably. Don't expect perfection in a first-release of the product's hardware/software. Be glad they're holding back to get it as good as possible before release.

Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

wahoowad

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2009 :  14:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have thoughts on the first retailers to get their shipments? I'd liek to know so that I do not atetmpt to buy from a small place that isn't up front with their in-stock availability.
Go to Top of Page

bcope01

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2009 :  16:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wahoowad, here is an online high volume vendor I've dealt with that keeps up with release dates. At the bottom of the page is a contact link. Give them a call.

Bill
iWAY 500C
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94027 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2009 :  01:50:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ST-Bob - All good points, what's surprising/disappointing is that I've been trying to make contact with the organizers of the Lowrance event in the Lake District to send some feedback and can't seem to get a reply from them...can't rule out an email problem of course.
Added to the first message :

PREVIEW - LOWRANCE ENDURA HANDHELDS
Touchscreen - Hardware Buttons - 42 channel GPS Chipset - Accuterra Maps

Picture taken at the Endura Press Event on June 4th in Windermere, UK, in the Lake District

I was invited to take part in the European press launch of the new Lowrance Endura handhelds on June 4th in Windermere, UK, in the Lake District. While there is still some work being done on the devices, both hardware and software (like having "Track Up" for Raster Maps), they were already quite functional, so much so that we used them on the sporting/geocaching event that had been organized for us.

Picture by Anthony Nicolazzi who was on the same canoe ;-)

It started out with some canoeing across the lake, then a hike and then a mountain bike ride ! We had been equipped with the high end Sierra model and we were able to track ourselves on the topo and satellite maps, as well as create routes for the mountain bike section. That took some getting used to, but it's quite effective once you have the hang of it. For instance you can add new waypoints directly from the route creation mode, you don't have to create them before hand as you do on the Oregon. On the topic of waypoints it's handy to be able to record a voice memo to give a full description for later review.

Having Navteq fully routable road maps pre-loaded is quite handy too, another first on a handheld system after the satellite maps by Accuterra.

Picture by Anthony Nicolazzi

I had my Garmin Oregon 300 on hand loaded with the UK Topo Maps (not GB Discoverer) and they had little more than contour lines (very few trails for instance). While the Endura has a smaller screen, it catches the light better even though it is also a touchscreen and the hardware buttons will help when you have to use gloves.

I'll reserve judgement until the shipping software is available, but I quite liked what I saw (satellite and navteq road maps, form factor, route creation, voice memo capability, etc...) and it's good to see some competition on this promising market.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05