Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2216

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 "Off-Road" GPS Software
 Need help for TOPO in Iraq
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Saleen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  13:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need TOPO that is downloadable to my Garmin Rhino 120, but I can't seem to find a source and I am fast running out of time before deployment.

Any help will be appreciated.

Saleen

Ads

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  13:30:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to GpsPasSion. You won't find any topo maps for sale for Iraq for your Rhino, best you can do is get "Worldmap" but that's really an overall map http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

Take a look at our database here to see if there's anything for Iraq in the way of electronic maps thar can be used on a PC or a PPC - http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=65&page=2

Saleen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  13:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't believe there is not a huge demand for such a program. Is that regular program what they are using over there right now?

Saleen
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  13:45:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with what is being used in Iraq, I guess the military have their own electonic maps for use on specific devices?

Saleen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  13:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The military does. But my understanding is that personal civilian units are also in widespread use. I just can't seem to hook up with anyone who is actually using one over there or who knows where to get the downloads to use.

The quest continues.....

Saleen
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  13:56:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you follow the links I gave you? You could start with Worldmap, Garmin has a viewer on that link so you can see what type of detail you'll be getting.

jsiegel

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  14:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth...

http://www.maptech.com/products/baghdad/index.cfm

Edited by - jsiegel on 30 juin 2004 14:22:51
Go to Top of Page

richardstephens

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  14:26:14  Show Profile  Visit richardstephens's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some people are using Memory-Map Navigator on a Pocket PC, with Maptech's Baghdad Street map. This includes a small scale map of Iraq, and several other cities, but it does not include topographic detail.

Richard Stephens
Memory-Map, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2004 :  14:36:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes and the question was integration on Garmin units originally.
Do we know how Maptech's data compares to what's available on WorldMap outside cities?

igurevich38

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2004 :  19:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you get really desperate, you can buy (really expensive) 50K TOPO maps of Iraq from Cartogrpahic, from 2002 by The Russian General Staff.

But they are in Russian, so if you can't read it then it won't help. However they are precalibrated and accurate enough and will work with a lot of different tools on PC, PPC, and Palm.

By the way, since you're getting deployed, can't the US government give you something that they have? I am sure they have great maps for all kinds of devices.
Go to Top of Page

Saleen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2004 :  20:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could use what the Govt. issues IF it gets issued to me. My last time over there, however, (Desert Storm) you had to be a platoon leader, company commander, or similar command element to get a GPS. If you happened to get seperated from one of those chosen few, you were screwed.

I'm sure that GPS systems are more wide spread now, but life's experiences have taught me to always have a back-up so I am going over there with my own just in case one isn't provided to me.

I did find those Russian maps on a link that someone provided here, but I do not believe that they are in a format compatible with the Garmin (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Language differences don't bother me because I can always create and rename the cities as waypoints in english.

Saleen

Saleen
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2004 :  21:25:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, again for the Garmin you're only option is their WorldMap data.

Saleen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2004 :  21:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought. The unit itself already has the country of Iraq in the database, but beyond Baghdad there appears to be no other city.

I may have to build it from scratch when I get there using known coordinates and named waypoints. I guess that's an option.

Saleen
Go to Top of Page

igurevich38

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2004 :  22:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suggest that you buy a Pocket PC with a CF GPS or a combo like Mio 168 with Memory Map or OziExplorer so you can use raster maps, just for backup. And buy the cartographic maps. Is the government paying for any of this? :-) In a war zone it's probalby worth the money.

If you decide to build your own map for Garmin here are some places to start. You can download the data in Arc format for free and this will give you the basic outline of the whole country. Since it's vector data, it will be easy to convert to Garmin.

Digital Chart of the World:
http://www.maproom.psu.edu/dcw/

ESRI World Basemap Data:
http://www.esri.com/data/download/basemap/index.html

See an example of what to do with this data and what it looks like:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8728

Here are 2 sites that explain how to make your own garmin maps:
http://gps.chrisb.org/en/download.htm
http://www.globgps.com/
Go to Top of Page

arpad

10 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2004 :  14:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saleen, do you know of any software that displays your coordinates in Military Grid Reference (MGRS)?
Go to Top of Page

Saleen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2004 :  14:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I don't. I just checked my manual and found that there is no reference to that in there so I'm wondering how well this Rhino will work with whatever paper maps I get. Perhaps I should call Garmin.....again.

Saleen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05