Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2760

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 nuvi 7x5T not enough map detail showing
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

bobaber

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  04:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The following is an email I just sent to Garmin. Believe me over 5 Days I tried ever setting combination and scales available and nothing helped.The bluetooth also lost connection 6 times.
Bobaber

I have just completed a 2400 mile round trip from just east of Chattanooga,TN to Amarillo, TX. At no time during this trip was any information on the LCD except the Hiway number and sometime other major highways and numbers. No cities, towns or communities were shown, The only way I knew what I was close to or passing thru was by road signs on the road sides. I passed thru Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Oklahoma city and Amarillo on interstate hiways and did not receive a single Lane assist. I got the distance to the next turn (sometimes 200 miles away) speed, speedlimit and arrival times but absolutely no info as to where I was except 200 miles to the next turn and a big purple line that said I-40 from bottom to top of the screen, nothing else. The unit is going back in the box until some one at Garmin comes up with some software that makes it a least equal to to earlier Nuvi series. The unit was updated 1 hour before the trip by WebUpdater

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 23 déc. 2008 05:15:13

Ads

NanaimoRick

Canada
7874 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  05:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you were only using the basemaps and not the fully detailed City Navigator North America NT 2009 maps that are installed on the 785.

Are the 2009 maps selected when you look at Tools - Settings - Map - Map Info? If there is a checkmark in the box beside City Navigator then your Nuvi is definitely sick. If there is no checkmark, tapping the screen to place a checkmark sounds like it should fix your problem.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 6 CYL AWD

Go to Top of Page

bobaber

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  07:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick
I just checked again and both map items are checked. I can get cities and other info by going, /where to/browse map. But I can not get it to indicate anything other than hiways, hiway numbers and major lakes but no names or other info when enroute on any scale. I get all the turn info, speeds, arrival times that is normally on the display but only hiways and their numbers on the moving map display. When it is on a approx. 10-15 miles range there is usually only the purple (magenta) route shown. BTW when the next turn is a long distance the display goes to the terrain 2D color mode and full bright even when it has changed to the night mode. I just won a Garmin refurbed 660 on Ebay. I sure am sorry I sold my 680. It was bullet proof. I have been using Garmin both ground and in the Air since the early nineties and I am genuine Garmin fan but this one has me worried.
Bobaber

PS
When I was going to school on the Boeing 757/767 if we called it a purple line instead of magenta on the displays the instructors blew their top. LOL

Edited by - bobaber on 23 déc. 2008 07:18:27
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1815 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  13:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like there is really nothing wrong with your unit or it's settings. Just that Garmin chose to clear & declutter the 765's moving map screen of many useful display features.

The following two screen shots are of the exact same area, centered on the exact same point on the map with the same detail settings and zoom level. Notice that the cities of El Monte, Valinda and West Covina are not displayed at all on the 765 using the detail map. These same cities show up and display just fine using only the basemap(?).

No Favorite names are displayed either while at the same time, all of the icons have grown larger blocking more of the map(?). The waypoint icons are also shifted down; note the base point of the flag icons (the bottom point of the flag "pole") and where they are positioned. The 760 has the positioning spot-on while the 765 has their position shifted down approx 1/2 the height of the icon.

Larger streets are no longer displayed in different hues as on the 760 where you could tell the size of the road just by looking at it's color. This decluttering of the map is senseless considering the new, faster processor...looks like Garmin has chosen to use the processor for a smooth framerate and 3D buildings rather than keep the existing useful display abilities of the previous units.

nuvi 760

nuvi 765 @ same settings. Notice cities (El Monte, Valinda and West Covina) are not displayed at all as well as the omission of Favorite names. Larger streets are no longer displayed in different colors according to their classification. Anti-aliasing is also more pronounced.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 23 déc. 2008 15:01:36
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  14:35:16  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Call me crazy, but I prefer the second. Best of both worlds would be the road renderings of the first screen on the uncluttered look of the second.

I find it nearly mandatory to glance at the screen while driving to verify and understand many of the voice directions, so the less "stuff" on there that does not directly inform me of the next move the better.

Of course the very best of all possible worlds [g] would be the ability to choose these compromises ourselves via prefs.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

bobaber

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  15:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I am making myself understandable. Say I just left Oklahoma city on I40 to Amarillo, the next turn is approx 200 miles away, along the route are dozens of towns, cities, etc. Now, regardless of the map scale from the most detailed to approx. 40 miles from top to bottom of the LCD all I get is a purple route line with the I40 symbol. No cities, towns, nothing else is on the LCD . My 680 gave me towns and other info along my route.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1815 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  15:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I created a route from Oklahoma City on I40 to Amarillo. Note that this is the route preview screen (at the map screen with the route active, press the green bar, then Show Map). Are these the differences you're seeing? (Map detail settings are the same on both the 760 & 765)

Edited by - SergZak on 23 déc. 2008 15:56:51
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7874 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  15:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, no wonder the screen draws are faster on the 7X5 models, there's nothing to draw.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 6 CYL AWD

Go to Top of Page

bobaber

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  16:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lower picture is what I see and at the lower scales and 3d view "track up" nothing is added, just a purple route line. The unit is useless if you have to carry a atlas or read road signs to find out where you are. I sure don't need a GPS just to tell me what road I'm on and a arrival time.
Go to Top of Page

bobaber

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  16:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the answer I got from a Garmin female CSR. The new units are not designed to tell you where you are(a direct quote,I thought that's what a GPS was for). only where you are going ,the arrival time and what road you are on. No info at any scale for any surrounding area, only a single purple line for your route with the highway number in it. This renders the unit useless. I generally know what highway I'm on and its not hard to compute the arrival time. I have wasted the purchase price of the 785T and I would not recommend the 7*5 unit units. I have a 660 on the way, the 785T is going back in the box and stored somewhere and I will try forget the bad experience. Thanks for the help from everyone.

One last comment, when I told the CSR I had no lane assist messages after driving thru 6 major cities she said it has to be on a major route, I said I was on I-40 and she said she didn't think interstates qualified as a major route for lane assist. I was afraid to mention the bluetooth disconnects. What a day I'm having, Merry Christmas and thanks for the help from everyone.

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 23 déc. 2008 18:16:41
Go to Top of Page

dsrussell

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  19:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I like an uncluttered and easy to read map screen, the lack of detail is quite astonishing. And given some of the 7x5's touch screen problems and other glitches, anyone with a 7x0 will be extremely disappointed in Garmin's latest offering. Since I upgraded from a 260, the 7x5 represent a major improvement (especially lane guidance, which is well-represented in SoCal). But isn't this SOP? Garmin always gives you something while taking something else away. Next year they'll bring back more screen detail and call it an enhanced feature!
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1839 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  21:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just when we thought Garmin couldn't "dumb down" the Nuvi's any further, they prove us wrong! Wow....
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1815 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  21:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More screen shots, all of the exact same area with highest map detail settings ("Most" on 760, "More" on 765)

760 0.3 zoom

765 0.3 zoom

760 0.5 zoom

765 0.5 zoom

760 0.8 zoom

765 0.8 zoom

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2008 :  23:02:09  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now that I see the really nasty examples of missing detail (SergZak's Rt. 40 example above), I wish to retract my earlier comment. This ain't good.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

bobaber

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2008 :  02:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got an email from Garmin tech who asked all the regular questions. I sent him Sergzaks screen shots of the Oklahoma City-Amarillo route of the 760 and the 765. I'll post his answer when I receive it. They leave no question of the lack of any detail on the 765/785 nuvis
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1839 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2008 :  02:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The differences are pretty much explained (as we discussed here before) by the fact that the 7x5 series only has 3 detail settings: Less, Normal and More. All the other Nuvi's have 4 settings: Less, Normal, More and Most. Looks like they may be further dumbing down by leaving off some labels and changing the waypoint display. But the lack of a "Most" setting is the main culprit.

Just guessing that while testing the unit they were unhappy watching it thrash while rotating the map in the new browser or rendering 3d buildings. Then someone got the good idea of an easy fix by removing one of the buttons from the map detail screen...

Edited by - Boyd on 24 déc. 2008 02:25:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05