Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2403

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin "nüMaps Lifetime" Subscription
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  01:37:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote

nüMaps Lifetime page : >> link <<

Note : if you buy a nüMaps card in a store you need to go here www.garmin.com/activatenumaps to activate your subscriptipon.
Updated 20110215 : CityNavigator 2011.40 Maps now available for North America
Updated 20100421 : CityNavigator 2011.10 Maps now available for both North America and Europe
Updated 20091119 : CityNavigator 2010.30 Maps now available for North America, see [TOPIC] Garmin CN NA NT 2010.30 Maps - 11/09 for details
Updated 20091021 : CityNavigator NT2010.20 maps now available in Europe.
Updated 20090730 : New CityNavigator NT2010.20 maps available under the Lifetime program see this topic for details.
Updated 20090408 : New CityNavigator NT2010 maps available under the Lifetime program see this topic for details.
Updated 20090121 : As was announced at CES, Garmin launched the "nuMaps Lifetime" program today with maps named 2009.1 (Navteq Q3/2008) available for download, either via this program or via the nuMaps Guarantee program for those who qualify.
Updated 20090107 : Now "official" at least for North America. Beginning Jan. 21st, lifetime (of the single device) quarterly map updates will offered at $120. (posted by gatorguy on page 5) full details in Garmin's Press Release.

It's likely new maps will be available for download for everyone starting on Jan 21st, including under the "nümaps Guarantee". Wonder what they will call them, NT2010 ? NT2009.1 would be preferable...

According to the press release, the web site to purchase the lifetime update service is www.garmin.com/numapslifetime which their web team has yet to release to the public. It looks like the marketing guys got an early start today (posted by grandknight on page 5)
Updated 20081018 : Spoke to Garmin France yesterday and it turns out it has been delayed until early 2009. Remember you read it here first like the original news about "nüMaps Lifetime" ;-) No real impact in the US as there are no new maps available, but in Europe those who can't wait will have to pay €80 for a single map update to get CN NT 2009 Europe released on October 15th.
Posted 20081003 : After announcing the nüMaps Guarantee last month, Garmin are completing their map offering with the "Lifetime Maps" program announced at the Mondial 2008 car show in Paris today. It is due to launch on October 15th and for $119 (€119 in Europe), subscribers will be able to download quarterly updates for their GPS system as long as they own it.

Compared to other map update programs on the market it falls in between Navigons's $79/3 years Freshmaps and TomTom's €68/1 year Map Update Service (unavailable in the US at this time). While it appears like a good way to stay up to date at a reasonable price, some users might balk at the asking price in a GPS market with free-falling prices.

I was able to ask Garmin some specific questions :

Q1 : what about x7x systems with NA and Euro maps ?
A. The user will have to choose which continent he wants to subscribe to, worldwide subscriptions not possible.

Q2 : what about GPS systems with regional coverat ?
The program is continental only, Europe or US, but they provide a tool to cut the region of your choice and fit it on the memory of your GPS, with the rest available to be loaded on an external memory card.

Q3 : transferable to a new GPS ?
A : no, although there is *some* flexibility as the service can be transfered once, in the case of defective unit for instance

Q4 : what happens if a GPS gets stolen ?
A : service not normally transferable

Q5 : compatible systems ?
A : All Garmin units starting with the SP C5x0, I think they mentioned they had to be compatible with the NT map format launched in 2006.

Questions, comments ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  03:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think TomTom might be feeling some pressure now to offer a map subscription service to North America. On the surface this looks like a great deal. But how many of us keep our GPS for more than two years anymore? Of course that might be what Garmin (and Navteq?) might be counting on.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  11:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this wont work, some how you will get screwed!
they make money selling you a GPS every 2 years, so what will happen is that eventually they will hit you with
"your old device is incompatible with the newer Maps"
and there excuse will be something like
"newer maps use 3d technology that the older gps's are incompatible with"

didn't something like this happened with the PDA GPS systems
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  12:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only advantage I can see in this is a quarterly map update, assuming there is something in the update that actually applies to you/your area of interest rather than some remote town in the middle of nowhere.

If you'll be purchasing a GPS every two years, this doesn't really make any sense since you'll be getting the newest maps at that point in time along with the new unit purchase...and if it were up to Garmin, we'd be purchasing a new GPS every six months, not every two years or more.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 03 oct. 2008 14:27:02
Go to Top of Page

uber360

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  13:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the upgrade for the person or for a single device? If I upgrade to a Nuvi xXx, does that end my lifetime subsciption?

Nuvi 360 (SiRF) +760 (MediaTek) + 265WT + Magellan RM300
New England region
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  13:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your question has already been answered by gpspassion's initial post.

quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Q : transferable to a new GPS ?
A : no, although there is *some* flexibility as the service can be transfered once, in the case of defective unit for instance

Edited by - SergZak on 03 oct. 2008 13:40:52
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  14:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatorguy

I would think TomTom might be feeling some pressure now to offer a map subscription service to North America. On the surface this looks like a great deal. But how many of us keep our GPS for more than two years anymore? Of course that might be what Garmin (and Navteq?) might be counting on.

Uh, the day I will get a substitute for my 310, it will pass in the family...
Go to Top of Page

uber360

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  15:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the update is per unit, I don't see this as revolutionary as so many will update their GPSr every few years nullifying the "lifetime" aspect :(

Nuvi 360 (SiRF) +760 (MediaTek) + 265WT + Magellan RM300
New England region
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  15:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Q : what about x7x systems with NA and Euro maps ?
A. The user will have to choose which continent he wants to subscribe to

One can get two subscriptions on the same machine?
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  17:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even tho I have some doubts that it would be advantageous for me, I do think it will be a great marketing tool, at least as effective and probably more so than TomTom's map service for Europe. IMO, Garmin has stepped up to the plate again this year. Between traffic, redesigned interfaces, faster hardware and now map services, they're looking pretty good to the average consumer.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

bharritt

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  18:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gatorguy, you must either work for Garmin or hold a lot of their stock! How else can you believe Garmin is doing such a great job after they way they are screwing over the 7X0 owner. Either that or you must be a marketeer who believes that marketing is more important than actually providing a workable product! I guess I am NOT an average consumer, who is welling to bend over, throw my 3 month old 750 away and send even more money to Garmin for a new 7X5 unit!

Brent
Nuvi 2460LMT, Nuvi 750, Streetpilot, GPS II
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  18:59:49  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's be sure to keep the conversation about the products, not individuals. Gatorguy does not work for Garmin and while it is fine to disagree with his opinions about the 7 series, it would not be OK to attack him personally.

For what it's worth, I find my 760 to be somewhat less reliable than either my 680 or 350, but its added features, such as advance route planning, make it a very useful device for me. Mine had some issues under 4.0 and they seem improved under 4.1, so don't throw yours away.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  21:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If gatorguy is going to make outrageous marketing statements, then he is open to discussion IMHO.

What good is it if a company pushes out 100 new products, but every one of those new products has a defect? That is exactly what Garmin is doing. Rather than fixing their existing line of products, they continue to push out new products.

Read the threads concerning 7x0 series problems. Read the threads concerning the 8xx series problems.

I'll make a friendly wager that the 7x5 series has problems also. Anyone wanna bet?
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  23:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will this be available for the Garmin Mobile XT platform or only for PNDs?

I called Garmin a few days ago and their nüMaps guarantee does not apply to Garmin Mobile XT, only to their standalone units. I was trying to purchase Mobile XT and wanted to be sure it included their latest maps. They told me those were just now starting to ship but it would be up to my supplier if they wanted to exchange a package that had the previous maps when I ordered it.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  23:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Until the ill-fated 4.0 update I wasn't aware of any serious issues with the 7x0's. I expect the firmware to be fixed. Every device from every company that has pushed out a firmware update has at some point had what the owner considers a serious issue. Nearly all were corrected with subsequent releases. So my 760 has not been perfect the past three weeks. It doesn't mean it's fatally flawed. I believe I'm on pretty solid ground when I state that Garmin has addressed many of the issues that owners have complained about. Maps updates, map prices, ability to customize the data to display on the map screen, traffic subscriptions, slow processors, lack of full mac support, high device prices? ALL have been taken seriously by Garmin, and a solution has been offered. ALL this was done this year. No other consumer gps company has come anywhere close to answering the demands of it's customers at this level this year. And absolutely the average gps buyer is going to benefit from what Garmin has announced and models that have been released or soon will. I have very little to take Garmin to task for. And overall, I don't believe you do either. If a flawed firmware fix is your most serious issue, then I'd consider myself lucky compared to some owners of other brands. Firmware can be fixed in a relatively short time. They made a mistake, and working to correct it. Afterwards you can enjoy some of the new Garmin service offerings if you choose. You might even like them. Outrageous? I think not.

BTW, my apologies to Rick and Danham for going slightly off-topic.

@Muyshondt: I'm not aware of a formal press release on this yet, so I don't know whether the details have been determined. It should be clearer after the 15th

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  23:25:48  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy2008

If gatorguy is going to make outrageous marketing statements, then he is open to discussion IMHO. ...

Just to clarify, any opinion posted here, outrageous or not, is open to spirited discussion, so I agree with you, but with one caveat: it's the opinion which is open, not the person who posts it, as personal attacks will not be tolerated here. Just a reminder for everyone.

Thanks,

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gemro311

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2008 :  01:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't believe what I am reading here. This is our hope coming to reality here with this one price for a couple of years of map updates . I have never seen Garmin or any other PND maker say ..sorry you need to buy our latest product for you to update your maps. I doubt anyone else has either. We should be happy that Garmin is finally catching on!!!!

Nuvi 3597LMTHD and HTC One M8
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2008 :  01:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, my apologies to Rick and Danham for going slightly off-topic.

Accepted, just don't let it happen again

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2008 :  01:40:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smiley1081
quote:
Q : what about x7x systems with NA and Euro maps ?
A. The user will have to choose which continent he wants to subscribe to
One can get two subscriptions on the same machine?
Apparently not.
quote:
Originally posted by Enrique Muyshondt

Will this be available for the Garmin Mobile XT platform or only for PNDs?
No, AIOs only.

Went back to the Garmin booth today and got some more interesting tidbits :
1. Average lifespan of a Garmin AIO is 2.5 years
2. "Lifetime Maps" will work on all the AIOs compatible with the NT maps, so that means the nüvis and the SP C5xx if memory serves.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

dave817

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2008 :  08:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With $70/year for updates, $119 looks attractive. If Garmin releases a new motorcycle GPS, I'd look at buying a new unit to apply the $119 lifetime upgrade to, rather than buying annual or lifetime upgrades for my Zumo 550.

How often does Navteq issue updates to the manufacturers?
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2008 :  08:17:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
afiak, 4 times a year

Go to Top of Page

joec

115 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2008 :  22:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gps:
> Average lifespan of a Garmin AIO is 2.5 years

Sounds about right.

gemro:
> This is our hope coming to reality here with this one price for a couple of years of map updates

I'm not that enthusiastic. I bought the last map update from Amazon: $6x, no tax, no shipping.

Because this new Garmin deal is, more or less, a "license", will it only be available from Garmin? If so, $119 + shipping for the maps themselves. Figure, what, around $10? Plus tax in some unlucky state that Garmin is located in or has offices in.

So you buy a nuvi and then 6 months later new map comes out. Lifetime maps $119 + ~$10 shipping. Maybe tax.

A year after that there are new maps again. $10 shipping. So far it's been 2 map updates in 1.5 yrs or $65 per update. That's what I paid _without_ a lifetime map license.

Another year, another map update. Your nuvi is 2.5 y.o., time to get a new one.

Related to this, ask the questions:
How will Garmin be doing 2.5 yrs from now?
Will you even want to use a 2.5 y.o. gps then?

It's about time for our family to get new cell phones. The high end ones that we are looking at all have gps capability. Currently few have voice directions. In 2.5 yrs from now they all will. What will the traditional gps manufacturers do when cell phones do then what gps's do now? Cell phones already have mp3 music, pictures, and bluetooth like (some, not all) nuvis have. Cell phones also already have video, camera, internet (web browser, email, etc), text messaging, etc. Interesting to think about. This all relates to the concept of lifetime map licenses and its viability as a product.

garmin nuvi 3790LMT, Garmin nuvi 760, Magellan RoadMate 700
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2008 :  23:05:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's interesting but really the topic of another thread if you want to start it, I'll just say based on experience that I believe in single purpose devices to keep things simple and reliable, this after using the latest and greatest Smartphones.

Maybe it wasn't clear from my previous posts, but the nüMaps Lifetime Maps are download only, although they'll send out DVDs if need be with a fee to cover shipping.

Oh and my UserIS is "gpspassion", not "gps" ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gemro311

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  02:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I currently have and still use my Street Pilot 2610 on occasion, it is 4 years old. Can't really see getting a replacement for the 760 as Garmin has not put out anything that is really any better . Anyone on these forums knows my biggest "annoyance" is the lack of upto date maps from Garmin. Once a year updates just doesn't cut it

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  03:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then I'm sure you're happy about Garmin's quarterly updates starting soon.

Go to Top of Page

Jonavin

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  04:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they go to quarterly updates then the lifetime map subscription would be useful.

Nuvi 3790t/370/250/760, StreetPilot i5, GPSMAP 60C, Forerunner 305
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  06:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
according to GPSPassion, that's exactly what they are doing.

Go to Top of Page

hpatlik

1157 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  06:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume the map updates include POI updates as well.

HPatlik
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  09:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if the next year Garmin will launch an unlocked Nuviphone, I will probably get one and, given it will cost a ballino, I will probably get lifetime map updates for it.
Go to Top of Page

mike42dk

Denmark
55 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  09:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

What about all of us who has a Nüvi with local maps, like mine where i have Skandinavian maps (205T), do i still have to pay same price for updates, enybody know ?

Regards Michael

Garmin Nüvi 765T - Software V. 3.90
TomTom Go630T
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  12:41:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes,I asked about that too and the program is continental only, Europe or US, but they provide a tool to cut the region of your choice and fit it on the memory of your GPS, with the rest available to be loaded on an external memory card.

@hpatlik - so far POIs have been part of the Navteq maps, can't see any reason for this to change.

Go to Top of Page

GoldWing2820

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  16:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I being too naive by assuming the following?
Garmin is a professional and commercial company with the highest priority of sustaining their business in these rough economic times. With the competition (TT) on their tail they are forced to offer similar map update opportunities to their customers. Therefore I think they are trying to kill two birds with one stone:
a. present this deal to the world as a revolutionary development with great (financial) advantages to the customers
b. aim for break even or better commercial/financial results. I'm sure they did a lot of calculating before this plan was announced under the current conditions.

So I'm convinced that Garmin is not playing Santa Claus and that they are merely aiming for better customer relations, i.e. preferably generating higher profits. Given the technical life cycle of a GPS I doubt whether this Map Update Service ahs any advantages over the current (annual) optional update service?

As said above by others; why do I need updates of areas where I'll never go, moreover a GPS is becoming more and more a commodity and prices are decreasing, so in the very near future it's probably worthwhile to purchase a new GPS (including the latest maps) annually if you really need the latest maps!?

Only time will tell...

Honda GoldWing 1800/Garmin SP 2820/CN 2008/Oregon 300/CN 2008

Edited by - GoldWing2820 on 05 oct. 2008 16:34:08
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  16:36:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Possibly but who says you can't run a successive business and keep your customers happy, actually isn't that what makes the big success stories ? ;-)

Garmin certainly have many reasons to launch that new program, competition, bottom line, as you mention, but also a regular revenue stream with upfront cash, but if that adds value to their customers why dismiss it?

Go to Top of Page

GoldWing2820

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2008 :  16:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Garmin certainly have many reasons to launch that new program, competition, bottom line, as you mention, but also a regular revenue stream with upfront cash, but if that adds value to their customers why dismiss it?"

Hi gpspassion,
I appreciate what your saying and indeed nothing wrong with it! But I was just thinking out loud...
Or shouild I say playing the advocate of the devil?
Rest a sure I'm a loyal Garmin customer ;-)

Honda GoldWing 1800/Garmin SP 2820/CN 2008/Oregon 300/CN 2008
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2008 :  14:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that while many people here do upgrade their GPS's quite often, there are many more who don't every time a new model becomes available and it is to that market segment that the lifetime updates would have a wider appeal. For a bit less than the cost of 2 annual updates, you can purchase lifetime quarterly updates for your Garmin GPS and keep current, and that has to appeal to a larger number of GPS users than some here give credit to...just my .02 worth. I think it's a welcome addition to the Garmin experience. If I didn't constantly change units to simply have the latest and greatest, I'd certainly be one of those purchasing the lifetime updates...:)
Go to Top of Page

107main

49 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2008 :  06:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are probably hurting from trying to sell these dumbed down soccer mom Nuvi GPS units, and like someone said there will be a catch to it. I am still waiting on a replacement for the 2730, one that you can program to show the info you want all on one screen if for nothing else safeties sake so you dont have to keep flipping screens while you drive! Wake up Garmin!
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2008 :  11:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL -- hurting? I seriously doubt that. While you may not agree with their business philosophy, they appeal to the masses, to the point where they are the largest and most cash rich on the planet, in their industry of course. Enjoy your 2730; it was certainly a good unit for its time, but that was 3 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2008 :  14:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of the recent posts are more of a discussion of or opinion of Garmin marketing efforts. Here's the fact. For most users this will cost less than 2 map normal map updates. In addition, subscribers will be assured of having the most recent available Garmin map, supplied for free every quarter. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2008 :  15:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 107main

They are probably hurting from trying to sell these dumbed down soccer mom Nuvi GPS units, and like someone said there will be a catch to it. I am still waiting on a replacement for the 2730, one that you can program to show the info you want all on one screen if for nothing else safeties sake so you dont have to keep flipping screens while you drive! Wake up Garmin!

While I agree that finding a GPS that shows more information on one screen is a good thing I doubt very much if Garmin is hurting by selling the "dumb down" Nuvi. In fact, it is probably the reason why every other vehicle you see has a GPS in the window :) Maybe not a Nuvi but for a lot of us they sure got the ball rolling.

Lets face it, most of the folks here are more advanced users than your average "soccer mom" who is more interested in getting the kids safely to and from than they are on whether there are 25 options for setting up the screen. For the average person, which IMO are the vast majority of users, the simpler the better as long as the routing is good. The Nuvi fits the bill pretty darn well!

Now add the fact that these "soccer moms" can keep the maps updated much more often so they always know where that new soccer field is, I don't see much of a down side for most folks.

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 08 oct. 2008 15:50:09
Go to Top of Page

joec

115 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2008 :  23:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> For the average person, which IMO are the vast majority of users, the simpler the better as long as the routing is good.

I wish people would stop defending nuvis with the "they're designed for stupid people" argument.

Here is the real point:
There is absolutely no reason why Garmin can't have a simple to use gps that is customizable ALSO. Meaning "in addition to".

Many responses in this forum seem to be in the form of "either/or". That does not have to be the case.

I understand the importance of simple to use. Other than inputting Point A and Point B, about the only other thing my wife wants to do is occasionally save Point B as a favorite. I get it.

But that is not the end all and be all of _good_ product design!

Good user interface designers can set all the defaults so that the product is easy to use. And then they have their "restore values to default" button so that when the easily confused have changed something so that it confuses them, they can get back to their safe haven. And that's a good design.

But good user interface designers can ALSO -- at the same time -- have an Advanced button, behind which lies customizable options. Would having an Advanced button cause the Luddites to wet their pants, even if they don't press that button?

The real question is why Garmin does not choose to do this. Think about it. Why don't they?

Is it because they don't know how? I don't believe that. I think they have the techical talent.

Maybe it's because it would take more time to design, and their corporate goal is to deliver 3 new models every month of every year. Or so it seems. What's up with soooo many models? Clearly that's a _really_ important point to Garmin corporate for some reason. (That I can't figure out.) And putting advanced features into a device slows down development time.

FYI, Garmin. Most of those children, er, young people, that sell your products at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. don't have a clue what your products do. When a potential customer asks them a question, the most they'll do is pick up the box it came in (if they can even find one) and read a couple of main features to them. It's not going to confuse potential customers who have irrational fears of advanced products, because the kid they're talking to sells three different brands (TT, Magellan, and maybe more) and doesn't know anything about any of them! But advanced features _sell themselves_ because the customers who want them know about them! By reading it in places like gpspassion.com, etc.

Processor speed necessary to deliver advanced functions could be an issue. There have been a number of posts here that the current nuvi processor is under sized for even the current/existing models. Bad excuse for Garmin. Everything that you read says that processor speeds are going up, memory costs are going down, integration of components continues. We buy a new laptop every two years (we have several) and it's just astounding to see how hugely the specs improve each time. And the price is constant! But that hardware spec increase doesn't seem to be happening in the gps market. (So that it's noticeable.)

Cell phones specs are improving even faster than laptops. Again, prices are constant. In a year or two, cell phones will do everything that a gps does now. Win Mobile based phones (HTC, etc) are already starting to do it. Google's Android phone. Apple iPhone 3G.

If Garmin does not deliver _advanced_ features soon, they will certainly lose sales to cell phones.

garmin nuvi 3790LMT, Garmin nuvi 760, Magellan RoadMate 700

Edited by - joec on 08 oct. 2008 23:28:43
Go to Top of Page

Oregonian2

6 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2008 :  03:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joec
We buy a new laptop every two years (we have several) and it's just astounding to see how hugely the specs improve each time. And the price is constant! But that hardware spec increase doesn't seem to be happening in the gps market. (So that it's noticeable.)

Cell phones specs are improving even faster than laptops. Again, prices are constant. In a year or two, cell phones will do everything that a gps does now. Win Mobile based phones (HTC, etc) are already starting to do it. Google's Android phone. Apple iPhone 3G.

If Garmin does not deliver _advanced_ features soon, they will certainly lose sales to cell phones.

Although I generally agree that having options in ADDITION to a design is great, so long as it doesn't trade something off. Some things it could trade off are: more bugs (harder to test software releases, especially re-testing all previously working features in all combinations of configuration options), less responsive customer support (they'll have a lot more calls having to do with settings that were messed up, and so customers will have to be coached to fix them and/or to tell them to reset things to default -- probably blowing ALL of their changes away, not just the one they messed up), etc.

I think most people don't have your buying habits. I think most people buy what the want/need and keep using the same device until it doesn't do the job anymore. Having a smoother moving car icon (that isn't being looked at anyway because the real road wants watching even more) may not be sufficient for most to toss the old one. People who buy it to use rather than it being a toy (mind you I'm "Mr. Toy", so I know).

P.S. - We'll probably get a new laptop, first new one in quite a while, but it'll be a MSI Wind whenever the 6-cell pink/red ones become available -- but it'll have the compute power of a laptop that's many many many generations old. But you know what? It'll do the job that's wanted just fine (and be small, light, and inexpensive).

P.P.S. - Yes, they'll be losing some sales to cell phones. This is inevitable unless they want to get into the cell phone market.

Edited by - Oregonian2 on 09 oct. 2008 03:04:20
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2008 :  03:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going through this "soccer-mom dumbed-nuvi" thing from the beginning, it's my opinion that Garmin does this simply to sell units...& lots of them. That is what they're in business to do. They have found a way to "refresh" the nuvi line by adding one or two new features but at the same time, deleting one or two, thus having a reserve of "new" features to keep reintroducing into "new" units. Even "gpspassion" (I believe) was taken by surprise when it was revealed that Garmin did not add an "area/road avoidance" feature to the new nuvi 7x5 series. I can only assume it will be added to a new model to be introduced in 3-6 months time while at the same time, a feature or two from that new model will be removed to be put into their reserve of "new" features. This has happened time and time again. It is totally predictable.

If Garmin produced a nuvi with all the features of previous models (including the Street Pilot) and made the unit totally configurable with advanced/dumbed-down modes, how many of us would purchase another unit soon afterwards?

Garmin exists to make money and to survive...not to please feature-hungry nuvi users, of which I am one.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2008 :  04:05:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True, but we've veered dangerously off-topic and like I wrote in the 7x5 topic the fact that these "new features" are missing is not "pure commercial evil" but apparently because Garmin's engineers worked on separate platforms (the "advanced avoids" is on the new Linux platforms, 8x0/5000) and that they haven't been able to bring consistency to their offering, the French guys I spoke too certainly seemed to wish there was more of that...

...Anyway back to the "Lifetime Maps" topic, only 7 days to go now before the first maps should become available for download ;-)

Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2008 :  04:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...Anyway back to the "Lifetime Maps" topic, only 7 days to go now before the first maps should become available for download ;-)

Agreed...way off topic.
Now who the heck keeps their GPS longer than about a year to make this "lifetime maps" baloney worthwhile anyways...

Edited by - SergZak on 09 oct. 2008 04:26:05
Go to Top of Page

robogps

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2008 :  05:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[NOTE BY ADMIN – PLEASE READ EMAIL SENT VIA THE FORUMS – DELETE NOTE AFTER READING, THANKS]
Go to Top of Page

Oregonian2

6 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2008 :  08:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Agreed...way off topic.
Now who the heck keeps their GPS longer than about a year to make this "lifetime maps" baloney worthwhile anyways...

Maybe they should have a "lifetime GPS" program. You give them your credit card number and they send you a new GPS unit each year. The same "relative" model but in the next generation lineup.

:-)
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2008 :  09:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SergZak

I do.
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2008 :  00:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SergZak

quote:

Agreed...way off topic.

Most consumers who aren't posting on this site -- :)
Go to Top of Page

Rellik

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2008 :  02:00:19  Show Profile  Visit Rellik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With the new world economy there may be a lot of users who won't be able to afford buying a new GPS every year or so. This update might come in very handy to a lot of users.

I seems to me that a real "revolutionary" model would be for GPS manufactures to move to a service model. Get users to subscribe to a yearly fee for map updates and basically give the hardware away for free (or basically free). The real competitive advantage for these companies is the software (maps and user interface).

The road to innovation isn't paved at all.
Go to Top of Page

chelspeed

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2008 :  13:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry off topic still.... Way back on page 1 GatorGuy said:

> Garmin has addressed many of the issues that owners have
> complained about.....ability to customize the data to display on
> the map screen

Just noticed this comment. Which of the new line up allows this? I've got a nuvi 660, which must be coming up to 3 years old now, and this is my biggest disappointment with it. Each time a new model comes out I download the manual and see if it mentions customising the limited display on the front page but haven't seen a mention of it yet.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2008 :  14:31:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 7x5 series and yes, definitely OT, here are the topics where you want to discuss that -> Will the 7x5 / 2x5 features ever trickle down ? or [TOPIC] Garmin Nuvi 7x5 - 3D, Signs - User Reviews

Go to Top of Page

moosc

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2008 :  00:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow im mad i just paid for my new maps on the 780 can i get a discount price?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2008 :  01:03:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doubt it, but we can't help with that, it's a question for Garmin, keep us posted!

Go to Top of Page

Frank B

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2008 :  19:12:08  Show Profile  Visit Frank B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone know how to sign up for Lifetime Maps? Can't find it anywhere on the Garmin site

Kind regards
Frank B. (Nuvi 1490LMT)
Ontario CANADA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2008 :  19:41:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually you're going to have to wait a bit, spoke to Garmin France yesterday and it turns out it has been delayed until early 2009 for some reason. Remember you read it here first like the original news about nüvi Lifetime ;-)

Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2008 :  20:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion - what about lifetime traffic for older Nuvis (7x0, etc.)?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2008 :  22:37:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually it should be available for all Garmin systems starting with SP C500, I think they need to be compatible with the NT format, isn't that in the first message ? I'll check...Nope it wasn't must have been dicsussed later on, added as Q5!

Go to Top of Page

reddogg634

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2008 :  02:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GemRo311.
I have to tell you: After using the new 765 with the new and improved interface, faster processor, faster search capability, new pop out info tab on street searches, lane assist, etc. you may change your mind. Just the faster processor and new interface imo has drastically improved on the functionality of the 7xx series. I've had the 760 for about a year and I'm talking from experience! It's a drastic difference in a very good way.

quote:
Originally posted by gemro311

I currently have and still use my Street Pilot 2610 on occasion, it is 4 years old. Can't really see getting a replacement for the 760 as Garmin has not put out anything that is really any better . Anyone on these forums knows my biggest "annoyance" is the lack of upto date maps from Garmin. Once a year updates just doesn't cut it

Shody
Go to Top of Page

gemro311

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2008 :  02:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll check this out Shody. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

GPSPassion..Is there any reason for this "delay"?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2008 :  03:01:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well no, if not I wouldn't have written "for some reason" ;-) My guess is that they want to make it start at the beginning of the year, hopefully the 2009.1 maps or whatever they call them, will actually be 2009 maps, no more of that gap, as we had with CN 2008 (2006) and CN 2009 (2007)...

Go to Top of Page

chelspeed

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  19:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for answering my off topic question. And it worked. I'm smitten and looking at a 775. Now back on topic:

Can you only buy the numaps lieftime with a new unit or at any time? In other words is there any reason to hang on to buy the 775 until the numaps lifetime comes out in early 2009? Or can I buy a 775 now, which will come with NT2009 Europe presumably (I'm in UK), and then pay for numaps lifetime in a years time when NT2010 comes out?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  20:02:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had asked that question and was told you could buy them anytime so no reason to hold off. However if you're interested in the Lifetime program you might want to get it when it starts in early 2009 as they will normally be releasing quarterly map udpates from that point on.

Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2008 :  13:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quickie question:

Will this work also for the SP2720? (Yes, it uses NT maps).

Garmin SP2720/7.20 Firmware/GTM-12 (5.50)/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 1690/3.90 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 3790T/4.70 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)

Edited by - LER on 26 oct. 2008 16:13:53
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2008 :  20:20:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well then it should, since I was told NT was the limit ;-)

Go to Top of Page

pratzert

356 Posts

Posted - 15 nov. 2008 :  15:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPSPASSION,

Did you learn if this "lifetime" maps is only for the City Navigator maps, or will it apply to ALL mapping programs from Garmin, Including the BlueChart series?

Thanks, Tim
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 nov. 2008 :  15:08:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't remember we discussed this ? I haven't asked specifically yet, but my understanding is that it's nüvi only. I think TomTom's MapShare, 30 days guarantee and "TomTom Map Update" were a big incentive for nüMaps...so we'll need some more competition in the marine arena for BlueChart to get the same type of offer ;-)

Go to Top of Page

pratzert

356 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2008 :  16:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion,

Thanks for the info.... I guess asking for the same type of offer for the Bluecharts.

But I sure do drop a bunlde on all sorts of updates when they come out.

Bluecharts updates are something of a safety update since it deals with navigable waterways cnd channels etc.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Frank B

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 02 janv. 2009 :  21:58:02  Show Profile  Visit Frank B's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:

Actually you're going to have to wait a bit, spoke to Garmin France yesterday and it turns out it has been delayed until early 2009 for some reason. Remember you read it here first like the original news about nüvi Lifetime ;-)

Anyone know if Garmin is going to do this, and when?

Kind regards
Frank B. (Nuvi 1490LMT)
Ontario CANADA
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  14:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now "official" at least for North America. Beginning Jan. 21st, lifetime (of the single device) quarterly map updates will offered at $120.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At last! Thanks for sharing, so it's likely new maps will be available for download for everyone starting on Jan 21st, including under the "nümaps Guarantee". Wonder what they will call them, NT2010 ? NT2009.1 would be preferable...

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  14:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!! I can't imagine what name they'll go by. Garmin's map naming has been a little misleading for awhile. I'll see if I can ask.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  15:18:23  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about CN NT INFINITE? [g]

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  15:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the press release, the web site to purchase the lifetime update service is www.garmin.com/numapslifetime which their web team has yet to release to the public. It looks like the marketing guys got an early start today

Garmin Nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  20:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the math they use at their site to justify spending $120:

nüMaps Onetime™: $69.99 USD x 4 optional map updates = up to $279.96 per year

Would anybody really spend $280 a year to stay current?

Depending on the model, you could buy 2 refurbed Nuvi's and download the free upgrades for less than $280.
Go to Top of Page

gemro311

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  21:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually it reads like : nüMaps Onetime™: $69.99 USD x 4 optional map updates = up to $279.96 per year
nüMaps Lifetime™: seasonal map updates for the life of your device = $119.99 USD

in real small print : nüMaps™ Lifetime. If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately), you will receive up to four (4) map Data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map Data from NAVTEQ, whichever is shorter.

It all depends on what you need or want. And how long you you intend to keep your unit. It's about time Garmin has come around.

Edited by - gemro311 on 07 janv. 2009 21:14:24
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  21:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DerbyDad, I hear from TomTom owners all the time that just have to have their latest map, and that's 4 times a year as well. Yeah, I think quite a few owners will jump on this. How many will benefit and/or take advantage of every update is a different issue. The manufacturers count on users either not using the subscription after they bought it or only using it once or twice. Remember, the subscription is not transferrable to another device.

Go to Top of Page

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2009 :  22:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What might make this subscription worth purchasing are quarterly POI updates (if the POI database is also updated quarterly). Case in point, Metro Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI built a new main hospital south of Grand Rapids and relocated to it in May 2008. Our Nuvi’s still shows the hospital located in Grand Rapids vs. Wyoming. So, if you are driving North on US 131 and your passenger has a heart attack at the M-6 interchange, our Novi’s are going to direct you to drive north an additional seven miles vs. taking the M-6 west exit and driving only two miles to Metro. In the above hypothetical case, the update would of course be worth the $120.

Garmin Nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  00:37:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
POIs being "built-in" the maps they would certainly get updated too, however what gets updated is always a bit "up in the air", no details are ever given by Navteq/TeleAtlas or the GPS companies. Still one would hope that "major" POIs as in your example would get updated. Actually you can look up http://maps.live.com/ to see if they fixed this in the latest Navteq maps.

By the way the Press Relase is >> here << for reference.

We'll see how much interest that program generates but Garmin certainly needed it since TomTom launched their yearly update program last year and also have MapShare, but I think the best part is the arrival of quarterly map updates for all Garmin systems and therefore one free update via "nüMaps Guarantee" if you time your purchase right ;-)

Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  01:21:41  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually moneywise and if you travel to EU (or to US) nüMaps Lifetime™ North America and Europe seems like the best deal for "just" $150. Compare this to $120 for NA and to $140 for EU separately. Somebody like our dear gpspassion (who I assume frequently travels to NA) can get lifetime NA updates just for $10 on top of EU lifetime.

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  01:29:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not as often as I'd like, but working on it ;-) Anyway yes the Transatlantic program is excellently priced!

Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  01:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waaah. Looking at the list of devices (now that the page is public), the 2720 is NOT listed. Just the SP C series and the Nuvi's.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  02:01:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't remember if the 2720 uses NT maps ? I thought that was the "ticket" to access the Lifetime program.
quote:

Not as often as I'd like, but working on it ;-) Anyway yes the Transatlantic program is excellently priced!
I hadn't thought of it at first, but you'd probably need to own a 370/770 device to be able to subscribe to this option? In other words I don't think it's a way to add coverage to a non-transatlantic system.

Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  02:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can't remember if the 2720 uses NT maps ? I thought that was the "ticket" to access the Lifetime program.

It does use the NT Maps. Maybe they just didn't include it in the list, maybe they won't do it. I have a friend that is at CES, and asked him to ask Garmin. I guess we'll see on the 22nd.

Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  03:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

DerbyDad, I hear from TomTom owners all the time that just have to have their latest map, and that's 4 times a year as well. Yeah, I think quite a few owners will jump on this. <snip>

gatorguy (and gemro311):

I believe you may have missed the point of my post. I too think quite a few owners will pay the $120. In fact, I am considering it.

My point was that I don't think too many people would pay the $70 every quarter to stay current. That is how they appear to be trying to sell the lifetime product.

"Why pay $280 a year forever when you can pay $120 once." I'm simply saying that few, if any, people would pay $280 a year forever.

Would the Tom Tom owners you know pay $70 a quarter to stay current?
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  03:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least two that I know of bought 2 updates in one year, the last one for $130.

Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  04:17:06  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I hadn't thought of it at first, but you'd probably need to own a 370/770 device to be able to subscribe to this option?

Or own EU or NA map on SD that you bought separately?

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  04:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

At least two that I know of bought 2 updates in one year, the last one for $130.

Well, I guess I stand corrected.

I'll assume they paid around $200 for both upgrades. What do they do with their GPS's that justifies that type of expense? I'd also like to know if there were enough updates to make them feel it was worth the cost.
Go to Top of Page

alokeprasad

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  12:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by klopus

quote:
I hadn't thought of it at first, but you'd probably need to own a 370/770 device to be able to subscribe to this option?

Or own EU or NA map on SD that you bought separately?

Not according to https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=256&pID=33381#requirementsTab or https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=256&pID=33380#requirementsTab

"This map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device. For example, a Garmin GPS device preloaded with North America maps only cannot be updated with a nüMaps Lifetime Europe Map Update, and vice versa."

But then in the Compatible Products tab they list units that don't dome with both maps pre-installed, like the 765T.

Confusing ....
Go to Top of Page

dmorack

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  01:27:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are Nuvi 350 owners out of luck? I don't see that model listed in the Product tab.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  02:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect you mean 360. I see the 350 listed under the product tab for both the above links but not the 360. On the other hand why wouldn't the 360 be listed when all the other 3xx models are? Somethings not right on those web pages I think.

Go to Top of Page

jharris2

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  03:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alokeprasad,

Agreed. Plus, I added Europe to my North American 350 and it would be great if I could keep both sets updated via the lifetime maps.
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  16:27:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got some good news from the folks at Garmin in response to a question I sent on the 2720 support:
quote:

The preliminary info we've received indicates that the 2720 will be eligible, however, we won't have the official word on it for another week or so. Stay tuned.

I hope so :)

Go to Top of Page

MikeMc

Ireland
41 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  16:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know if the maps can be used in Mapsource?
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  16:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering the same thing, MikeMc....

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2009 :  16:43:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed and that's not to be ruled out since the free update via "nüMaps Guarantee" installs both the MapInstaller and MapSource and lets you view the maps in MapSource.

Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2009 :  14:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent a question to garmin, and the impression, based on this response is YES, they WILL load into MapSource/RoadTrip:
quote:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Yes you are correct.

this was in response to my response:
quote:

Will the maps load into MapSource like the current DVD's do?

Go to Top of Page

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2009 :  16:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product#8217;s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map Data from NAVTEQ, whichever is shorter.

for what i have heard is that 'useful life' is calculated to be around 3 years. this was told me by someone at Garmin about a year ago when numaps was just a rumour.

garmin is the way.
nuvi 300 > nuvi 350 > nuvi 660 > nuvi 255WT
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2009 :  17:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would hope they mean the actual device still working, and not just some arbitrary length. I.E. I bought my 2720 in 2005, and it's still going strong, and I want to keep getting maps for it.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2009 :  17:04:49  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is much more likely that the "3 years" number is one that Garmin used when calculating the costs/profits of the new map offer. It is based on average model turnover as consumers upgrade to the latest, nothing to do with how the unit you buy performs or for how long.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  16:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like today's the first day for the new maps...anyone purchase (or get a free update) yet?
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=256&pID=33379

EDIT: although they appear to be selling the nuMaps Lifetime subscription today, there's apparently not any newer maps ready to be downloaded yet.

Edited by - Dewi on 21 janv. 2009 16:35:56
Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  16:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is today the first day for the new maps or is today the first day that nüMaps Lifetime™ North America is available? That's 2 very different things.

re: (or get a free update)?

I recently updated two 350's to the 2009 maps, one via free download a few weeks ago and the other via a free DVD last Saturday. (Garmin Support was nice enough to send me the free upgrade I should have gotten when I bought a refurbed unit back in July. I didn't know I was eligible back then, so they sent me a DVD last week.)

Anyway - my question is: Are there new maps associated with the Liftime product today or would we have to wait a quarter or so?
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  16:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just talked to support:
1) Today is the first day for the NuMaps Lifetime
2) there WILL be a new map
3) the 2720 is supported.

I don't see the "new maps available" yet for my 2720 in MyGarmin, but I suspect they are still working on the site.

Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  17:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re: 2) there WILL be a new map

What does that mean?

There WILL be a new map as soon as I plunk down my $119.99 or there WILL be a new map sometime soon?
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  17:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There will be a new map TODAY.

Go to Top of Page

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  17:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked myGarmin account and no updates available. I have not purchased the Lifetime service, but I did received my Nuvi 760 as a Christmas Present, so my Nuvi should be a good test of the NuMap Guarantee with updates released under the new seasonal map update program.

Garmin Nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  17:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect they are still working on the site. The "Official" launch is tomorrow anyway. This is apparently a soft-launch, so I'm not surprised it's weird at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  20:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just updated my 350's with the 2009 maps. I'm glad both updates were free.

The 3 errors that I am most familiar with, 2 near my house and 1 near work, were not corrected. Any other errors that were not fixed I probably wouldn't know about because:

1 - If they were street name errors, I would have nothing to compare them too. Are they new errors or old?
2 - If it's a routing error, as long as it gets me to that unfamiliar place, I probably wouldn't know a better route anyway.

I guess my point is that since I don't drive for a living, I probably don't need the latest and greatest maps every quarter, especially since I know that even the current "latest" maps still contain errors.
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  20:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you report the errors to NavTeq?

Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  21:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will now. By the time I got my units, the 2009 maps were already out. I was waiting to see if the new maps still had the errors before I reported them.

However, I still think my point is valid (at least for me). I don't expect every GPS user to contact NavTeq everytime they see an error, so I don't expect the maps will ever be perfect. I also think that based on the general quality of the maps, and my comparatively limited usage, the errors are not going to have a huge impact on me. I doubt I'll ever get completely lost due to a mapping or routing error.

It's for those reasons I don't think I (and I'm only speaking for me) need the most up to dates maps, even at the discounted rate of $120. I'm guessing that by the time I want to spend $120, I'll be able to buy a better-featured model than my 350 for that amount, which will probably come with a free map upgrade at the time I buy it.
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  21:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with the amount of growth in my area (Austin, TX), getting current maps is a win. I buy the maps every year any way, so the $120 once is a win for me.

This is why they offer both options.

Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  21:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That makes sense.

Any idea how current the quarterly maps will be? If I recall from other discussions, weren't the 2008 maps built with 2006 data and 2009 really 2007 data?

Will the quarterly updates be more current or will the main maps still be 2ish years old, but maybe with more recent corrections sent in by the users - with the requisite verification time built in?
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  21:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would hope since it's electronic they'd be within a quarter of what Navteq shows on map24.com.

Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  22:05:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked at map24.com and found something interesting. The street name error near my house matches what is shown at map24.com. I will report that. However, the work-site error is a little different.

The map at map24.com shows the correct street name, as does my 350 once I turn onto the road. However, when approaching the turn, the 350 tells me turn onto the street whose name matches the street on the other side of the intersection. In other words, if I am on Street A approaching an intersection with Street B on my left on Street C (my work street) on my right, the 350 will tell me to turn right onto Street B even though I need to turn right onto Street C. As soon as I make the right, the 350 says I'm on Street C, matching what it says at map24.com.

So where's the error and/or what do I report? The driving directions as far as the turning instructions are correct, but the spoken name and words in the route text are wrong. However, the NavTeq maps and the "Driving East on Street C" are correct.
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  22:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd report it to both the Mapreporter.navteq.com and www.garmin.com/cartography errors page exactly as you've written it above, and let them figure it out. (using the real street names).

Edited by - LER on 21 janv. 2009 22:24:46
Go to Top of Page

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2009 :  23:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked myGarmin and I have a map update available :-) I will download after dinner and post the version info.

Garmin Nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  00:00:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hrm. No such luck for me on the 2720:
quote:

Unlk/Reg Sheet,CNNA NT 2009

Details

No update available

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  00:05:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@DerbyDad03 - "I just updated my 350's with the 2009 maps." so these would not be the new maps available starting today ? In that case use the existing NT2009 maps topic to discuss them.

@grandknight - a nüMaps Guarantee update ? If yes share the good news here Garmin's 60 day nüMaps Guarantee - iFix Date but you can give us the name of the new maps here, wonder what they're calling them, CN2009.1 would make sense!

Go to Top of Page

FourOhFour

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  00:33:22  Show Profile  Visit FourOhFour's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's 2009.1.
quote:
Originally posted by grandknight

I just checked myGarmin and I have a map update available :-) I will download after dinner and post the version info.

I have an update available, but the download fails claiming the file doesn't exist. I'm betting they put the update on the website before the load balancing system finished getting it on all the servers... I'll give it another go in an hour or so.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  00:41:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for confirming the name, that was the name that made sense, but you never know after CN2008 released in 07/2007 with Q3/2006 Navteq and CN2009 released in 06/2008 (?) with Q4/2007 Navteq !

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  01:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The download won't be available until tommorrow as it wasn't scheduled for release until the 22nd. They just got a little ahead of themselves. The build is from Navteq 3rd Quarter/08

Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  01:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really weird. Looking at the first page, there is no update available, looking at the details page, there is a 2009.1 update available as a NuMaps one-time. No offer to use NuMaps Lifetime. I think I'll wait a bit and see what else they do.

Go to Top of Page

FourOhFour

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  01:58:17  Show Profile  Visit FourOhFour's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The download won't be available until tommorrow as it wasn't scheduled for release until the 22nd. They just got a little ahead of themselves. The build is from Navteq 3rd Quarter/08

I rebooted to Windows and the download is working fine... 1.92 GB. Must not have uploaded the Mac version yet.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  02:06:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Garmin, as of 7:15 Eastern time they were still working on a couple of minor issues, but had announced the availability shortly before. They said to advise users to wait until tommorrow to do the download. Not surprised nuMaps Lifetime not showing as available yet, but should be tomorrow.

Edited by - gatorguy on 22 janv. 2009 02:27:18
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  03:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FourOhFour, did the download actually complete?

Go to Top of Page

FourOhFour

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  03:31:10  Show Profile  Visit FourOhFour's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it did. But nothing I have agrees with what version I actually got.

The nuvi itself says I have "CN North America NT 2009.11".
The myGarmin website says "City Navigator North America NT 2009.10, Deluxe 3DB+JV, All Regions, Jan 09"
The filename for the download said 2009.1, and RoadTrip shows it as 2009.1.

It seems to be working fine, though... not that I'm noticing any changes.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  03:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. . . Guess they sorted it out for at least a bit for download, but the nomenclature is still a little out of whack. Just checked and still not able to complete the order process. No matter as it should be available in the morning for those that want it.

Go to Top of Page

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  04:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I completed the download of the executable file in about one hour. The update onto the Nuvi also took about one hour. The details that "FourOhFour" provides above are the same on my Nuvi.

There are map updates, Metro Hospital in Wyoming, MI has now been added to the POI database. The hospital built a new building and moved in June '08, the 2009 maps still had the hospital in the old location in Grand Rapids.

Edit: Also a new gas station near my home now shows in Fuel POI's.

Garmin Nuvi 760

Edited by - grandknight on 22 janv. 2009 04:53:19
Go to Top of Page

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  04:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@FourOhFour - Would you check your Recently Found list of locations and see if any of your pre-update locations now have corruption in the address fields? Post-update locations found seem ok, but I am noticing a lag when accessing the list that is not apparent in other areas.

Garmin Nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

FourOhFour

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  13:13:47  Show Profile  Visit FourOhFour's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My recently found locations, except for those that are favorites, have blank address fields. I can bring up the map and they are still in the correct locations.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  16:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When updating to the newest City Nav NA NT 2009.1 maps, the following updates will also be installed:

New versions
3D Buildings map - file: x:/Garmin/gmap3d.img (114,612,224 bytes)
Time Zone map - file: x:/Garmin/gmaptz.img (595,968 bytes)
Junction View - file x:/Garmin/JCV/D1279010B.JCV (40,203,119 bytes)

Previous versions
3D Buildings map - file: x:/Garmin/gmap3d.img (90,255,360 bytes)
Time Zone map - file: x:/Garmin/gmaptz.img (591,360 bytes)
Junction View - file x:/Garmin/JCV/D1279000A.JCV (37,567,728 bytes)

Go to Top of Page

FourOhFour

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  18:30:46  Show Profile  Visit FourOhFour's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I've found a problem... if I look at Bradley Int'l Airport (in CT) on the map, the footprint of the airport hides the roads. On my dad's nuvi, same model (755t) but without the 2009.1 update, the roads appear on top of the footprint.

This also appears to happen with the University of Hartford.

Anyone else seeing this? BDL is at N 41°56.317' W 71°41', and the University of Hartford is at N 41°47.950' W 72°42.938
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  18:49:09  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I log into myGarmin, my 760 displays the opportunity to update to 2009.1 via download or DVD. But there is no way to get from those screens to a choice to participate in the "lifetime" program, just the usual one-time update.

Also, when I try to pan east on the map viewer to see if 2009.1 has local changes, the screen displays a blue question mark instead of the map.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  18:55:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will try with my 760 too to see what happens.

@FourOhFour - Please start another topic to discuss the CN2009.1 maps and we'll save this one for the actual signup/download process, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  19:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even coming in via that maps page is NOT offering me Lifetime for my 2720. On the phone with TechSupport as I type.

It's supposed to let me do the Lifetime. They are looking into it, and will call or E-Mail me back. I also verified that they will load into MapSource and RoadTrip.

Go to Top of Page

d70s2

5 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  21:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[NOTE BY ADMIN – PLEASE READ EMAIL SENT VIA THE FORUMS – DELETE NOTE AFTER READING, THANKS]
Go to Top of Page

TTexas

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  22:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to successfully update, via the Lifetime nuMaps, to CN North America NT 2009.11. It took ~ 1 1/2 hrs to d/l and install.

TTx
nüvi® 760 v4.8, MSN Direct
Go to Top of Page

alandb

483 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  22:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the nüMaps Lifetime download file include the installer for MapSource on the PC? Or do I have to have to purchase the nüMaps Onetime DVD to get MapSource? My nüvi is a 755T.

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra
Go to Top of Page

gemro311

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  23:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ alandb...it did for me. Actually it installed Mapsource first then the Map for the unit afterwards. Process took about 1 1/2 hrs.

Edited by - gemro311 on 22 janv. 2009 23:05:32
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2009 :  01:19:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion@FourOhFour - Please start another topic to discuss the CN2009.1 maps and we'll save this one for the actual signup/download process, thanks!
Thanks for starting [TOPIC] CN NA 2009.1x maps - Problems ?

Go to Top of Page

pratzert

356 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2009 :  15:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got an email from Garmin last night telling me that the Lilfetime maps were available and supplied a link to purchase.

Unfortunately.... NONE of the units I have were listed as being supported for the lifetime maps even though all my units use the NT2009 maps (which are currently loaded on them).

I have a 2730, 7500 and a 76CSx.

Why doesn't Garmin let me get the lifetime maps ?

I "suspect" that it may have something to do with a copy protection scheme or something built into the firmware of the supported units, but I really dont' know.

Anyone else have any idea why many units which use the same mapset can't subscribe to the lifetime maps ?

Tim
Go to Top of Page

k-20

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2009 :  16:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday afternoon I downloaded the new 2009.11 map. I had to call Garmin to get my free upgrade on my recently purchased 250W. I had registered the unit and upgraded the firmware before it's first satellite lock several weeks ago. It seems Garmin needs to see the sat.lock date to get your automatic upgrade. I called Garmin and all the CSR asked for was were I bought the nuvi and what date. He put me on hold to talk to a Supervisor, came back and said know problem you will be getting the upgrade. I logged into mygarmin on there website. the 'my maps' area showed the download now. They fixed up my issue on the spot. I downloaded 2009.11 and I installed on my 250W. I never did enter the product key that was included in my account area. The installation was almost seamless. When the install was complete I booted my nuvi. It showed the new maps installed and I checked some nearby new subdivisions a new road in my area. They were all in ! Well worth the couple hours spent to upgrade it.

nuvi 250W
Go to Top of Page

bobpenn

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2009 :  16:41:54  Show Profile  Visit bobpenn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also had to do the roundabout way as described earlier to get to the lifetime offer. The MyGarmin Maps area did not offer it to me. But if I did the following, it was offered as a purchase option:

go to www.garmin.com
from the Maps top menu select Update Maps
Enter your serial number ... get it from the your registered products in the MyGarmin tab
The lifetime update will be offered to you.

I bought it and am downloading it now.
Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2009 :  16:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k-20
It seems Garmin needs to see the sat.lock date to get your automatic upgrade.

FYI - I ran into the same issue when I registered my unit before the first sat lock. The CSR I got didn't need a supervisor. She simply cancelled my registration and had me re-register. Boom - instant, free upgrade.

She also sent me a free DVD for a unit I bought many months ago when I knew nothing about registering the unit until I was outside the free upgrade period. "Oh you didn't know? I'll send you a free DVD."

I guess it all depends on which CSR you get - another example of why I always call back (any company) when I don't get the answer I like the first (or second) time.
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2009 :  22:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I can get Lifetime now (will be waiting till payday). The trick (at least for my 2720) is to go to the Update Maps page off the top menu, and put in my serial number. I then get both the one-time and lifetime options. The gal I talked to in support also verified that it will work.

Yay! I don't need to buy a new GPS to get lifetime :)

Go to Top of Page

pratzert

356 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2009 :  17:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Please don't quote post directly above - Thanks, GPSpassion Team.

Hi LER.

Did you go thru your "MYGARMIN" account to do this ?

AS I said, according to the Garmin web info about Lifetime maps, your GPS is not supported.

If my 3 units ARE supported, then I will be subscribing. They all use the "NT" maps.

Thanks, Tim

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 24 janv. 2009 18:04:19
Go to Top of Page

bgoo

5 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2009 :  20:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been reading these posts with great interest as my StreetPilot 7200 is also not included on the Garmin website compatibility list for the Lifetime maps. No matter what method I have tried on the website (top menu, myGarmin, etc.) to get to the purchase point for Lifetime for my unit I am not able to do so. I can however get to the purchase point for "Onetime" City Nav North America 2009.1 (I already have City Nav North America 2009 on the unit). I emailed Garmin support and here is the response that I received:

"I will be happy to help you with this. The 7200 is not compatible with the lifetime maps due to hardware restrictions.
With Best Regards, Amy Lu, Product Support Specialist"

To me this sounds ridiculous. What "hardware restrictions" would not allow a Lifetime download of 2009.1 but go ahead and allow the same download for a Onetime download? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2009 :  20:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did NOT go through MyGarmin, but through the Maps menu (Update Maps), and put in the serial number.

it then offers me BOTH OneTime and Lifetime.

Go to Top of Page

daveo

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2009 :  02:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I upgraded the Maps on my 775T last night and took it to the store today. I was surprised by the large number of minor streets that now have speed limits. Definitely a plus. I tried a route we often do, and did not see more lane assists. That part is disappointing considering it is a approx 500 mile trip with several major cities including DC outer belt. That is an area I hope they will improve.

Nuvi 3590
Nuvi 350 & GTM 11
Nuvi 755t with MSN
Nuvi 1690
Nuvi 680 with MSNdirect
Go to Top of Page

EricTheRed

12 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2009 :  03:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like this is a good deal. Are the Nuvi 370 and 270 supported? What is the expected life of the battery in these two units? If battery life is only, say, 3 years; well not such a good deal.
Go to Top of Page

pratzert

356 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2009 :  04:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bgoo

I have been reading these posts with great interest as my StreetPilot 7200 is also not included on the Garmin website compatibility list for the Lifetime maps. No matter what method I have tried on the website (top menu, myGarmin, etc.) to get to the purchase point for Lifetime for my unit I am not able to do so. I can however get to the purchase point for "Onetime" City Nav North America 2009.1 (I already have City Nav North America 2009 on the unit). I emailed Garmin support and here is the response that I received:

"I will be happy to help you with this. The 7200 is not compatible with the lifetime maps due to hardware restrictions.
With Best Regards, Amy Lu, Product Support Specialist"

To me this sounds ridiculous. What "hardware restrictions" would not allow a Lifetime download of 2009.1 but go ahead and allow the same download for a Onetime download? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now that is very odd.... I have a 7500 and it's is identical to the 7200 other than the dead reckoning feature. But when I went into the Garmin Map upgrades, it did in fact offer me "Lifetime" maps.

Garmin seems to be falling apart more each passing day.

Edited by - pratzert on 25 janv. 2009 04:07:41
Go to Top of Page

jsolo213

156 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2009 :  05:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone with the 7x0 series update to these maps with the older 3.1 or 3.2 firmwares successfully? Or is the new 4.6 or 4.7 firmware an ABSOLUTE requirement for the updated maps?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05