Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2319

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin "nüMaps Lifetime" Subscription
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

gpspassion

94054 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  01:37:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote

nüMaps Lifetime page : >> link <<

Note : if you buy a nüMaps card in a store you need to go here www.garmin.com/activatenumaps to activate your subscriptipon.
Updated 20110215 : CityNavigator 2011.40 Maps now available for North America
Updated 20100421 : CityNavigator 2011.10 Maps now available for both North America and Europe
Updated 20091119 : CityNavigator 2010.30 Maps now available for North America, see [TOPIC] Garmin CN NA NT 2010.30 Maps - 11/09 for details
Updated 20091021 : CityNavigator NT2010.20 maps now available in Europe.
Updated 20090730 : New CityNavigator NT2010.20 maps available under the Lifetime program see this topic for details.
Updated 20090408 : New CityNavigator NT2010 maps available under the Lifetime program see this topic for details.
Updated 20090121 : As was announced at CES, Garmin launched the "nuMaps Lifetime" program today with maps named 2009.1 (Navteq Q3/2008) available for download, either via this program or via the nuMaps Guarantee program for those who qualify.
Updated 20090107 : Now "official" at least for North America. Beginning Jan. 21st, lifetime (of the single device) quarterly map updates will offered at $120. (posted by gatorguy on page 5) full details in Garmin's Press Release.

It's likely new maps will be available for download for everyone starting on Jan 21st, including under the "nümaps Guarantee". Wonder what they will call them, NT2010 ? NT2009.1 would be preferable...

According to the press release, the web site to purchase the lifetime update service is www.garmin.com/numapslifetime which their web team has yet to release to the public. It looks like the marketing guys got an early start today (posted by grandknight on page 5)
Updated 20081018 : Spoke to Garmin France yesterday and it turns out it has been delayed until early 2009. Remember you read it here first like the original news about "nüMaps Lifetime" ;-) No real impact in the US as there are no new maps available, but in Europe those who can't wait will have to pay €80 for a single map update to get CN NT 2009 Europe released on October 15th.
Posted 20081003 : After announcing the nüMaps Guarantee last month, Garmin are completing their map offering with the "Lifetime Maps" program announced at the Mondial 2008 car show in Paris today. It is due to launch on October 15th and for $119 (€119 in Europe), subscribers will be able to download quarterly updates for their GPS system as long as they own it.

Compared to other map update programs on the market it falls in between Navigons's $79/3 years Freshmaps and TomTom's €68/1 year Map Update Service (unavailable in the US at this time). While it appears like a good way to stay up to date at a reasonable price, some users might balk at the asking price in a GPS market with free-falling prices.

I was able to ask Garmin some specific questions :

Q1 : what about x7x systems with NA and Euro maps ?
A. The user will have to choose which continent he wants to subscribe to, worldwide subscriptions not possible.

Q2 : what about GPS systems with regional coverat ?
The program is continental only, Europe or US, but they provide a tool to cut the region of your choice and fit it on the memory of your GPS, with the rest available to be loaded on an external memory card.

Q3 : transferable to a new GPS ?
A : no, although there is *some* flexibility as the service can be transfered once, in the case of defective unit for instance

Q4 : what happens if a GPS gets stolen ?
A : service not normally transferable

Q5 : compatible systems ?
A : All Garmin units starting with the SP C5x0, I think they mentioned they had to be compatible with the NT map format launched in 2006.

Questions, comments ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  03:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think TomTom might be feeling some pressure now to offer a map subscription service to North America. On the surface this looks like a great deal. But how many of us keep our GPS for more than two years anymore? Of course that might be what Garmin (and Navteq?) might be counting on.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  11:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this wont work, some how you will get screwed!
they make money selling you a GPS every 2 years, so what will happen is that eventually they will hit you with
"your old device is incompatible with the newer Maps"
and there excuse will be something like
"newer maps use 3d technology that the older gps's are incompatible with"

didn't something like this happened with the PDA GPS systems
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  12:55:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only advantage I can see in this is a quarterly map update, assuming there is something in the update that actually applies to you/your area of interest rather than some remote town in the middle of nowhere.

If you'll be purchasing a GPS every two years, this doesn't really make any sense since you'll be getting the newest maps at that point in time along with the new unit purchase...and if it were up to Garmin, we'd be purchasing a new GPS every six months, not every two years or more.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 03 oct. 2008 14:27:02
Go to Top of Page

uber360

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  13:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the upgrade for the person or for a single device? If I upgrade to a Nuvi xXx, does that end my lifetime subsciption?

Nuvi 360 (SiRF) +760 (MediaTek) + 265WT + Magellan RM300
New England region
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  13:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your question has already been answered by gpspassion's initial post.

quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Q : transferable to a new GPS ?
A : no, although there is *some* flexibility as the service can be transfered once, in the case of defective unit for instance

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 03 oct. 2008 13:40:52
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  14:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatorguy

I would think TomTom might be feeling some pressure now to offer a map subscription service to North America. On the surface this looks like a great deal. But how many of us keep our GPS for more than two years anymore? Of course that might be what Garmin (and Navteq?) might be counting on.

Uh, the day I will get a substitute for my 310, it will pass in the family...
Go to Top of Page

uber360

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  15:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the update is per unit, I don't see this as revolutionary as so many will update their GPSr every few years nullifying the "lifetime" aspect :(

Nuvi 360 (SiRF) +760 (MediaTek) + 265WT + Magellan RM300
New England region
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  15:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Q : what about x7x systems with NA and Euro maps ?
A. The user will have to choose which continent he wants to subscribe to

One can get two subscriptions on the same machine?
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  17:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even tho I have some doubts that it would be advantageous for me, I do think it will be a great marketing tool, at least as effective and probably more so than TomTom's map service for Europe. IMO, Garmin has stepped up to the plate again this year. Between traffic, redesigned interfaces, faster hardware and now map services, they're looking pretty good to the average consumer.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

bharritt

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  18:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gatorguy, you must either work for Garmin or hold a lot of their stock! How else can you believe Garmin is doing such a great job after they way they are screwing over the 7X0 owner. Either that or you must be a marketeer who believes that marketing is more important than actually providing a workable product! I guess I am NOT an average consumer, who is welling to bend over, throw my 3 month old 750 away and send even more money to Garmin for a new 7X5 unit!

Brent
Nuvi 2460LMT, Nuvi 750, Streetpilot, GPS II
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7443 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  18:59:49  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's be sure to keep the conversation about the products, not individuals. Gatorguy does not work for Garmin and while it is fine to disagree with his opinions about the 7 series, it would not be OK to attack him personally.

For what it's worth, I find my 760 to be somewhat less reliable than either my 680 or 350, but its added features, such as advance route planning, make it a very useful device for me. Mine had some issues under 4.0 and they seem improved under 4.1, so don't throw yours away.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  21:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If gatorguy is going to make outrageous marketing statements, then he is open to discussion IMHO.

What good is it if a company pushes out 100 new products, but every one of those new products has a defect? That is exactly what Garmin is doing. Rather than fixing their existing line of products, they continue to push out new products.

Read the threads concerning 7x0 series problems. Read the threads concerning the 8xx series problems.

I'll make a friendly wager that the 7x5 series has problems also. Anyone wanna bet?
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  23:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will this be available for the Garmin Mobile XT platform or only for PNDs?

I called Garmin a few days ago and their nüMaps guarantee does not apply to Garmin Mobile XT, only to their standalone units. I was trying to purchase Mobile XT and wanted to be sure it included their latest maps. They told me those were just now starting to ship but it would be up to my supplier if they wanted to exchange a package that had the previous maps when I ordered it.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  23:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Until the ill-fated 4.0 update I wasn't aware of any serious issues with the 7x0's. I expect the firmware to be fixed. Every device from every company that has pushed out a firmware update has at some point had what the owner considers a serious issue. Nearly all were corrected with subsequent releases. So my 760 has not been perfect the past three weeks. It doesn't mean it's fatally flawed. I believe I'm on pretty solid ground when I state that Garmin has addressed many of the issues that owners have complained about. Maps updates, map prices, ability to customize the data to display on the map screen, traffic subscriptions, slow processors, lack of full mac support, high device prices? ALL have been taken seriously by Garmin, and a solution has been offered. ALL this was done this year. No other consumer gps company has come anywhere close to answering the demands of it's customers at this level this year. And absolutely the average gps buyer is going to benefit from what Garmin has announced and models that have been released or soon will. I have very little to take Garmin to task for. And overall, I don't believe you do either. If a flawed firmware fix is your most serious issue, then I'd consider myself lucky compared to some owners of other brands. Firmware can be fixed in a relatively short time. They made a mistake, and working to correct it. Afterwards you can enjoy some of the new Garmin service offerings if you choose. You might even like them. Outrageous? I think not.

BTW, my apologies to Rick and Danham for going slightly off-topic.

@Muyshondt: I'm not aware of a formal press release on this yet, so I don't know whether the details have been determined. It should be clearer after the 15th

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7443 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2008 :  23:25:48  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy2008

If gatorguy is going to make outrageous marketing statements, then he is open to discussion IMHO. ...

Just to clarify, any opinion posted here, outrageous or not, is open to spirited discussion, so I agree with you, but with one caveat: it's the opinion which is open, not the person who posts it, as personal attacks will not be tolerated here. Just a reminder for everyone.

Thanks,

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05