Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Sports GPS Systems
 [TOPIC] Wintec WSG-1000 G-Trender GPS logger w/LCD
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

WhiteStarLine

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2008 :  06:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wintec G-Trender WSG-1000 is one of a new breed of sports-orientated GPS devices that tells you at a glance where you are, how fast you are going and how far to your destination, while logging data to a file that can be uploaded to a PC or PDA. Using the included Time Machine X software, you can graph speed, altitude and location over time and display the journey in Google maps together with a moving overlay showing where you were, at what time and what speed. The entire report can be saved in HTML and uploaded to your own web page.

The G-Trender incorporates a GPS receiver, thermometer, barometric altimeter and electronic compass, provides a large LCD (4.6 x 3.4 cm) and uses a standard Nokia battery. It should run for 20 hours (logging only, no display) or over 16 hours with power saving switched off. I've not fully tested this, but I've run it overnight with power management off, for 11 hours without a low battery warning.

Over the years I've used devices that save positional data for subsequent analysis: a $500 Hactronic bike speedo that I somehow managed to lose; a Toshiba PDA with compact flash GPS and OziExplorer (too fragile for serious use); a Globalsat GH-601 with a tiny display that only logged every 30 seconds and the housing cracked where the wrist band attached and a pure logger that records to an SD card but has no visual display. I've been using the G-Trender for a few weeks now and my initial impressions are very good. One of the disadvantages of a pure GPS is that while latitude and longitude are generally highly accurate, height data is less so. Not only does it vary due to satellite correlation issues, but it shows the height above the surface of an idealised sphere. Where I live, this is 20 metres above my actual height. The G-Trender overcomes this by incorporating a barometric altimeter and using it to supplement GPS height data. Altimeters use a temperature - pressure algorithm that in general gives an accurate result - I once took a Cateye altimeter from 600 m AMSL down to the beach and knelt down just above the water, whereupon it told me I was at 0 metres above sea level.

The G-Trender unit is reliable and the display easy to read while moving. Just switch it on, let it find a satellite fix and it starts recording.

• The supplied wrist strap is easily attached as a bike mount and just as easily removed after each ride - I would never leave something of this value on a bike. I tend to swap between my racing, commuting and training bikes anyway.

• The LCD is easy to read and doesn't try to show everything at once in tiny fonts. It shows three, clearly legible values at a time and cycles between speed / time / distance, speed / average speed / height, speed / temperature / height rise etc.

• It has excellent battery life and charges in a few hours from a standard mini-USB cable.

• The supplied software is very good and every time I have connected with Windows XP, it has immediately shown up and I can read the raw NMEA sentences on the GPS. The device can be switched on, log file loaded, converted to the required format and displayed in Google Maps in under a minute. I've had some problems connecting with Vista, where it worked for awhile but stopped, but this is not so much the device as a Vista USB to serial port issue, because I cannot 'discover' the serial port with HyperTerminal or PuTTY directly, so at the moment I connect at work until I can reload the Vista drivers.

• A bluetooth version is available but I decided against the extra cost. It would be cool to upload data straight from your bike, but you would need to connect a cable almost as often anyway to charge it and I tend not to bring the bike near the laptop, so the extra cost was not warranted.

• It supports GPS augmentation services such as WAAS or EGNOS (a service not available within Australia).

• It can be used as a pure GPS with Ozi Explorer, Tom-Tom or any other GPS software on a laptop or PDA. (I’ve successfully tested it with OziExplorer).

• As well as the barometric altimeter, it has a thermometer and electronic compass, which senses the earth's magnetic field, in lieu of a standard GPS showing the bearing between two points while moving. This means that you can turn on the device and it will show you the direction you are facing, but this is not a feature that I particularly need in my chosen sport. This also goes for the phases of the moon (try reading 31 tiny images of the moon phase for each day of the month!) and the exact direction to the sun (azimuth and elevation, but always many degrees out compared with the US Naval Observatory data). However, the sunrise / sunset and hours of daylight is useful to know.

• It will log 130,000 points which would equate to 36 hours straight if you logged every second and kept up power via an emergency USB charger. These points can be displayed with the supplied software as discussed, or exported to numerous formats such as Excel, free text, Google Earth KML, GPX (GPS eXchange format) etc.

As I said, I am very happy with the G-Trender, but like everything it has its negatives.

• Let me start with the manual - you need to accept that you must invest time reading it and experimenting with settings. The manual consists of 75 screen shots with a one or two word description of each button and the occasional list of selectable values. Here's an example: Illustration C0 is titled 'Autonomous Fix' with a blue arrow and an S with the caption 'Enter to Sub menu C1'. And so on. In other words there is a functional description of each option on the device, rather than a user-centric manual that answers the question "how do I . . . ?". There is no getting around reading it a few times to get the picture. It took me a little while to set it up for cycling and even now I cannot seem to log at less than 10 second intervals even though I see the developer's home pages on the internet that show trips in Taiwan logging at 5 second intervals.

• As I ride, my displayed height gain seems to reset. I would expect it to display the accumulated height gain but it may be displaying height gain on every ascent and reset at the start of every descent?

• I used to wonder why the backlight came on every 2 minutes for 10 seconds until I worked out that the LED setting the manual talks about was the green LED that indicated you had a satellite fix, not the LCD backlight that showed you data at night. Ironic that you can set the on / off time of a LED down to milliseconds but cannot tell it how many seconds you prefer between each log entry!

I know that in time I will get these minor issues sorted or accept them as limitations and there is always the possibility of one of the regular firmware updates fixing it.

Useful links:

Vendor's website http://www.wintec.com.tw/en/product_detail.php?pro_id=78
Example web page http://gps.wintec.tw/demo/yunan/yunan.htm
Software link http://wintec.timemachinex.googlepages.com/etmx.htm
Alternative software http://www.steffensiebert.de/soft/python/wintec_tools.html

Edited by - WhiteStarLine on 10 sept. 2008 06:47:21

Ads

toupsz

3 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2008 :  00:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if you can get the compass data from the device when using it tethered to a computer? It doesn't seem clear from any of the specification pages I've found.

Thanks for the review!
-Z
Go to Top of Page

WhiteStarLine

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  02:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi toupsz,

I don't think so and I just tried a number of methods to check.

When the unit is connected via USB and switched on, it is sending NMEA sentences. This includes the proprietary $IISMD sentence which adds barometric pressure, temperature and barometric altitude. It could send the digital compass bearing as well but it doesn't seem to.

I checked both with Hyperterm and NMEA Monitor for Windows http://homepage2.nifty.com/k8/gps/file/NmeaMon.htm, which is a good utility that recognises the ublox chipset and the WGS-1000.

I checked Al-Lai's pages and screenshots for the Wintec at http://wintec.timemachinex.googlepages.com/eDeviceSetting.htm and the course always seems to be the NMEA one, not the digital compass.

When you upload a log file for post processing, once again the raw data seems to be NMEA plus temperature / pressure and computed barometric altitude. The digital compass readings seem to get dropped somewhere!

Might be worth asking Wintec as they seem to bring out new firmware versions so clearly someone is working on the application.

Cheers,

Bill

PS The digital compass does swing around as you rotate and indicated the same true north as a vertical shadow at local noon.
Go to Top of Page

toupsz

3 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2008 :  15:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So just to be clear, the NMEA sentences dealing with direction are getting pulled from the dX/dT of the GPS, and not the compass?

Thanks for the reply...we've been looking for a good direction & GPS combo...but it looks like we may need separate equipment... I'll email Wintec though.

-Z
Go to Top of Page

toupsz

3 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2008 :  13:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I emailed them -- they do not provide the compass data and cannot fix it with a firmware update. :(

-Z
Go to Top of Page

dichtemist

2 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2008 :  14:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is indeed a goodlooking GPS, sadly a lot of things are still a mystery. thnxs for posting some tips!

You write that its working with OziExplorer. Also uploading data??
What GPS-settings did you choose in the configuration of Ozi?
(its driving me mad! :-) )

Am I the only one who had troubles with the firmware upgrade? Finally at try#20 it succeeded. And yes, I was looking at the procedure ;-)

grtz,
Go to Top of Page

WhiteStarLine

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2008 :  03:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We should be able to get you up and running quickly with Ozi - I was just running it at work:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/work30fwsCzn_sGi8u-tVA?authkey=SLqVvl5qXQs

Assuming you have the Wintec correctly connected (ie TimeMachineX shows raw data when connected and lets you upload your files), then make a note of the com port TimeMachineX uses to connect. In my case, it is com4. Leave the Wintec connected and switched on but close down TImeMachineX.

Step 1: Open OziExplorer (the Trial version will not communicate with the GPS)
Step 2: Click 'Moving Map', then 'Start NMEA Communication with GPS'. OziExplorer should now enumerate all com ports automatically (ie find each com port and try each baud rate until it all works).

If this does not work, you have several options. The first is to click on 'Configuration', then on the GPS tab. Select 'NMEA only' from the drop down. Now click on the Com port you used, such as Com Port 4 and the baud rate of 57600. Click OK and try again.

If this does not work, then ensure your PC is receiving data from the GPS. If you have Windows XP, click Start, Accessories, All Programs, Communication, Hyper Terminal. Create a new entry and select 'Connect using Com 4' or your serial port. Use these settings:

Bits per second 57600
Data bits 8
Parity None
Stop bits 1
Flow control Hardware

You should now see a line by line flow of data just as you see when you first connect via TimeMachineX.

If you are unsure what serial port to try, click Start, My Computer, View System Information, Hardware, Device Manager. Expand Ports (COM & LPT) and look at the number shown. Mine says Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART bridge (COM4) and this tells me that OziExplorer needs to connect to COM4.

If you like, post any questions you have. HTH.
Go to Top of Page

dichtemist

2 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2008 :  23:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thxs whitestarline for your quick reply.
I will try it this friday as I have then enough time. TimeMachineX connection works so that problem is already solved.

the result will be posted.
Go to Top of Page

mg050570

Spain
1 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2009 :  01:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi There!

Just happen to buy the WSG 1000 with the Bluetooth option, bacause of the fact that I am a Mac User... Little detail that makes GPS users life still harder that needed... Most of the devices have no Mac support.

Anyways... decided the get the above mentioned devices in order the extract the data via Nokia E51 over the Bluetooth connection. Actually using some software on the Phone...

But Surprise: the E51 gets paired via BT to the GPS but for some reasson does not gets GPS Data form it. No GPS available!

Has some heard of this problem before???

Nokias actually says that the E51 does not supoorts SPP, but for some strange reasson the Nokia GPS LD-3W connects via Bluetooth SPP (I hace used it myself and was VERY Happy with it.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/E51
see under connectivity

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/navigation/gps-modules/nokia-gps-module-ld-3w/technical-specifications
See under Interface
(Serial Port Profile SPP)

All this digital world, with tousends of different versions of BT just makes it very hard to trust the tecnical spec of products...

Hope someone can help

Saludos from the canary Islands

Miguel

Mac Mini -GPS WSG 1000 Trender BT - Nokia E51
Go to Top of Page

Big_Chuck

1 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2009 :  10:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miguel,

I have a Nokia E51 working with a Bluetooth receiver. I mostly use the Mobile Trail Explorer software and just load the GPX or KML file it creates into EveryTrail website.

Mobile Trail Explorer is one of the better GPS data logging software(J2ME Java) for mobile(cell) phones I have used. You can load Open Street Maps as well.
http://www.substanceofcode.com/software/mobile-trail-explorer/

The Nokia Sports Tracker is good as well.
http://sportstracker.nokia.com

EveryTrail is great for uploading and storing your tracks.
http://www.everytrail.com/

Viking GPS editing software is good if you need to edit the files. It only supports Linux and Windows.
http://viking.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

Chuck
Go to Top of Page

MTB1963

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2009 :  06:58:13  Show Profile  Visit MTB1963's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the good info here guys, I have had mine for about 2 months & am still learning about it.

I can't seem to get my Wintec G-Trender WSG-1000 to update the firmware, have downloaded all the latest updates & tools, but I cant get the unit in to the fabled update mode.
Button pressed, cables plugged & unplugged, battery in and out, it is driving me mad!
Can any one offer useful suggestions/
cheers
Brendon

Do it for fun
Go to Top of Page

WhiteStarLine

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2009 :  11:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brendon,

I always meant to post an update on this as it took me a few goes and I followed their instructions to the letter. The problem for me was that you should always flash a device while plugged into mains power but my USB cable could not supply enough voltage for the device. Neither would plugging it into a USB port on my laptop work. Therefore I could not get the device to flash.

What I did was counter-intuitive but worked:

* Make sure the Wintec is 100% charged.
* While running on battery power, start flashing the BIOS.
* Once it starts running, plug it into a USB (you actually don't need to do this, but you would not want to run out of charge while flashing a BIOS!)

This worked for me and I have the BIOS flashed to the latest version.

Cheers,

Bill
Canberra, Australia
Go to Top of Page

wv010

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2009 :  03:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear all,

Thanks a lot for the helpfull information. I succesfully installed Time Machine X and with some experitmentation I saw it produce clickable google maps. This is enough encouragement for me (non-techie and gps-newbie) to trod along ;-)

I recognize the trouble of getting the firmware update running. The firmware update on my SE W595 was a bit more user friendly and worked right away. Together with the remarks of WhiteStarLine I now get how the G-Trender firmware update should work.

I have a few questions though.

1)Is it smarter to update the firmware as soon as possible? My version is V .1.0.6.0 so I only miss:

* g-tender V.1.0.A.0 ~NEW

1. The setting of GPLS Datum will be saved even reboot the device.
2. Improve the read-log efficiency.
3. Corrent the back light time to 45 seconds instead of 55seconds.

* g-tender V.1.0.7.0

1. Add NMEA Format Setting (degree#12289;degree/minute#12289;degree/minute/second)
2. Adjust C3#12289;C4 Page.

2) When updating do I first have to update to V.1.0.7.0 and then V.1.0.A.0 or can I update to V.1.0.A.0 straight away?

3) When you update do you lose your overall "sum of distance" (Odometer / I-2)? If so can you enter the last known sum of distance after updating?

4)Judging from G7 page with marklist in the gps I have only about 10 postions for marks?

5) Is a mark similar like a waypoint?

In Time Machine X > Device Setting > G-Trender Only [see bottum: http://wintec.timemachinex.googlepages.com/eDeviceSetting.htm]

I seem to have a different lay out. The content (functions buttons etc.) are about the same but I get no map. I discovered that I only get a map when I have an internet connection.

6) I can imagine that, when able to generate a track with waypoints/marks, this is the place to upload?

7) If my assumption is correct what software I best use to generate a track?

8) OziExplorer is purely used for geotracking? or also phototagging? and/or uploading of waypoints?

Currently I make trips to explore how the G-Trender works. Trips home to work and vice versa. At the moment I log every trip as a track. I experimented leaving the G-Trender on when I reached a destination by bike but that results in a big "point cloud". Somewhere in Time Machine X is saw a merge function. In the track editor I succesfully merged three trips to one. Quite easy. So I now will stop a track when I reach a destination.

9) How do you manage your (sub)tracks for a day or multi-day trip? What is smart?

10) How many tracks can be recorded?

11) How do you delete tracks from the gps? When do you delete track from your gps?

12)The compass does not seem to respond when I rotate with the gps. I tried to calibrate but I get failure message: .... something like "failed to calibrate". Any solututions to that?

13) In the photo tool (of Time Machine X) I enriched some test photo's with the locations (x,y) information also quite easily.

With Photo Locr (www.locr.com) the photo's were recognized and automaticly place on a map. In Picasaweb (Google) I had to change a change > settings > permission: enabling Picasaweb to place photo's automatically on the map when the photo contains location info. It works but I noticed the location was off by about 200 to 300 metres. Must be a time syncronisation issue.

14) Any tips or tricks to synchronize the time aferwards?

Next I want to upload my trip info from the G-Trender via Time Machine X to Google maps and enriche them with photo's.

Hoping to hear from you all. I will share the outcome of the input in another posting :-)

Best regards,

Willem

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Go to Top of Page

jasonmauer

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2009 :  23:03:27  Show Profile  Visit jasonmauer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just received the G-Trender and was taking a look at the NMEA output... it appears that it does in fact return the compass information as part of the $IISMD sentence.

Example output: $IISMD,207,1021,26,31*6B

First value is the compass heading (207)
Second: barometric pressure (1021)
Third: altitude (26 meters)
Fourth: temperature (31 degrees Centigrade, which is way off by the way :)

The GPS-NMEA Monitor available at http://homepage2.nifty.com/k8/gps/ will parse and display this data if you click on the little S in the bottom right-hand corner of the app. (You should see it flash every second as the NMEA data rolls in from the device.) As I turn the device, the displayed bearing matches the value displayed in $IISMD.

This is with the latest firmware (1.0.A.0). Not sure if it's something they added or if it's been there the whole time; all I know is it seems to be working for me.
Go to Top of Page

johnandrews

1 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2010 :  18:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,
I have a question. how can we get pressure altitude and pressure information from a Wintec WSG-1000. What is the accuracy of this altitude value as the pressure is accurate upto a value of 1hPa. What NMEA sentence has this information and how can we read it. the TimeMachinex software doesn't read the IISMD sentence which i believe has the pressure and pressure altitude information.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

WhiteStarLine

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 14 févr. 2010 :  21:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi John, Jason's post directly above yours answered most of this (a great pickup BTW Jason): You obtain the pressure and altitude and pressure information from the $IISMD sentence. This is an additional NMEA sentence added by the manufacturer and is not exported when you convert a log file to NMEA using TimeMachineX. However, if you connect directly to the device (with HyperTerm or similar), then you can see and save it. More detiled instructions are in earlier posts.

The altitude reading uses an algorithm to infer altitude from pressure and temperature, so it does vary a bit. I have driven from my home city to the coast and it has reported 0 m ASL as I sat down at the water's edge. Other times have been different. The best way of checking is by taking some averages over a few days at a known height.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05