Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin's nuMaps Guarantee - iFix Date
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

FourOhFour

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  00:45:43  Show Profile  Visit FourOhFour's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

The good news is that the dates are consistent, the bad news is that since you've already registered you won't get any new maps even if they become available during that 60 day period. The rule is that you're entitled to new maps IF some are available when you register your GPS device, provided you register it within the 60 day period.

Actually, it seems that you do get maps if they are available within the 60 days from first use, even if they become available after you register. (Though you must download them before the 60 days are up.)

I registered a couple days ago, and got today's 2009.1 update.

Edited by - FourOhFour on 22 janv. 2009 00:46:19
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  00:47:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's good news, maybe they changed their mind or were already transitioning to the new maps when you registered, had you been offered the 2009 map update but passed on it?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

FourOhFour

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  00:51:45  Show Profile  Visit FourOhFour's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, my nuvi came with 2009.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  00:53:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see, wonder what would have happened if it had come with older maps, on the other hand there aren't too many chances of that happening except for a device forgotten on a shelf!

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Guitar1969

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  02:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused on this map update guarantee - How do I get a map update under the 60 day update guarantee. I bought my Garmin 265WT in late December 2008, and it was registered on Garmin's site on Dec 19,2008, yet the map installed on device per the website shows as being unlocked Oct 20,2008 ,obviously from the factory because I didn't do it and the unit was new. I don't appear to have an option for an upgrade even though I should.

Anyone else having problems getting it

Michael
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  02:05:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes that's tricky, only Garmin can override that setting, give them a call and they'll likely ask you to send in a copy of your invoice.

Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  03:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Guitar1969

My 765 shows:

"Date Unlocked: October 9, 2008" for the maps
"First Satellite Acquired: Dec 5, 2008"
"Registration Date: Dec 11, 2008"

I am downloading CN NA NT 2009.1 as I write this.
The key date here is the "First Satellite Acquired" date which is shown on the myProducts page. If you're having trouble, contact Garmin.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 22 janv. 2009 03:27:15
Go to Top of Page

RichardP

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  03:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm..
Ok, I received mine for x-mas - using the ifix date I get 599144432 or Dec 26 1988 (2008) 1300:32 which would be correct.

I registered tonight screen shows:

Product details for your device are:
Product Name: nüvi® 250
Registration Date: Jan 21, 2009
Serial Number: 1G******8
Registration Code: 8*****B

I don't see a first use date anywhere on the myGarmin pages, and the map update screens only provide me with the 69$ options, am I missing something? Where preceisly would I see the first use date according to garmin? I would like to see this before I ask the parents for the receipt.

Thank you.

Nuvi 250 4.60 S1 v5 2GB
Go to Top of Page

FourOhFour

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  03:41:30  Show Profile  Visit FourOhFour's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was helping my dad register his new nuvi that he got for christmas, got the same issue... myGarmin shows no first sat date, can't get the free update. Called support, got punted over to second tier support, was on hold for 40ish minutes before I had to give up.

For those of you who have yet to register... I'd wait 'til tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  04:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gpspassion - When I logged into my "myGarmin" account this afternoon, the home page/tab notified me that a map update was available. I purchased my Nuvi in Mid December and the first fix date was December 26. So Garmin is making the 2009.10 (according to the myGarmin MyMaps page/tab)/2009.11 (according to the Nuvi in Map Info) available under the nuMaps Guarantee program. It takes about two hours to complete the download (1.92 Gig) and the map update.

Garmin Nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  05:39:48  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's all very strange. I bought my 755T new on Dec 12 2008 and MyGarmin page lists it as registered next day which is correct. But same page says that date the map was unlocked is Oct 17 2008 which is I guess when device was manufactured. As a result Garmin want me to pay $70 for map upgrade. That stinks. I guess I'll have to give them a call.

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  09:04:06  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@klopus.
Some weeks ago I've got following answer from Garmin:
quote:
"...
Regarding the unlock date you are seeing in November 2007, that is
completely separate from the purchase date of the unit itself. When we
manufacture the unit and it is complete, maps are unlocked and installed
to the device before it is packaged so it is ready to go out of the box
for easier use. This unlock date, is the date that the maps were
installed to the unit, which is most likely the date it was originally
packaged in our manufacturing center. We do not use that date in any
way to verify your purchase date. Should you ever require warranty
service we will kindly ask that you send your original purchase receipt
as proof of the date of purchase. /.../ "

I hope it will help you to understand my.Garmin.com informations & idea.

mariusz
nüvi 3490T (105-01652-00), nüvi 760 (006-B0754-00) & still 250W (006-B0737-00)

Edited by - beetle-m on 22 janv. 2009 13:50:36
Go to Top of Page

grandknight

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  17:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@klopus - Because I have already upgraded the maps on my Nuvi, the map unlock date now reports as yesterday. But, before the update, the map unlock date was a date in August. I would think Garmin support could easily fix this issue, given the ifix date is used for the 60 day windows. When I logged in yesterday, to myGarmin there was an expiration date of February 24 on the download of the new maps, so they are using the ifix date.

Garmin Nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  21:12:58  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@beetle-m: Thanks for explanation.

@grandknight: As I understood from beetle-m original factory map unlock date is actually irrelevant. My understanding is most important are purchase, registration and first satellite acquisition dates. Interestingly though I'm using my 755 since mid December MyGarmin page for device strangely doesn't show any satellite acquisition date. Do you guys have this information shown?

I tried hard to understand and interpret Garmin's FAQ concerning fresh maps but still confused. I see two possible interpretations:

1. If your register within 60 day after iFix date and at the time of registration there's a fresh map then you'll get it for free.
2. If your register within 60 day after iFix date and within same 60 day period there's a fresh map then you'll get it for free.

My twist on all this is that I registered one day before iFix date. How this affects the rules isn't clear.

Anyway. In case #1 I'm not entitled to the free map update since when I registered new maps weren't announced. GPSPassion seems to have same interpretation and the fact that Garmin wants to charge $70 for map upgrade only reinforces it. To me #1 doesn't seem like reasonable, logical and common approach.

With case #2 I should be entitled to a free upgrade.

Any comments?

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2009 :  21:52:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that what's confusing the system is that the iFix date is after the registration date, hence no date showing on mygarmin.com...maybe - you'll probably want to call Garmin to have that fixed as you are clearly entitled to a free map update.

As for the scenarios, I would sum them up this way :
1. if there is a fresh map available when you register, you get it for free, but if a new map becomes available within 60 days you don't get it.
2. If there was a no fresh map available when you registered and a new one becomes avaialable within 60 days you get it for free.

Orignally I'd been told by Garmin it was only #1, but FourOhFour's situation shows #2 works too, giving the system some welcome flexibility.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05