Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2319

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin's nuMaps Guarantee - iFix Date
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

bluzark

Belgium
95 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2008 :  10:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well
i am using a nüvi 255WT myself.. got it few weeks ago.
update to 2009 NT went fine.

friend of mine got a nuvi 750, last week.
i registered his unit for him yesterday. no update.
mailed to Garmin Belux with myGarmin info & invoice.
i got a reply today that the free update is now available in the account and indeed there is a product key ready to be used

garmin is the way.
nuvi 300 > nuvi 350 > nuvi 660 > nuvi 255WT
Go to Top of Page

Gary T

New Zealand
4 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2008 :  05:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Gary T's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Garmin has offered to send me an update - but very 'guardedly'. They said
quote:
units bought from Ebay are sold "as is" and do not qualify for free map updates no matter what the date of purchase was.
Go to Top of Page

TooLate

35 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2008 :  18:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished pouring through this entire string. Really informative...albeit a bit confusing here & there. But, radically more informative than the Garmin manual.

So, my wife's 750 Christmas Present that I opened and tested in late November needs to be registered, connected to the laptop that is online to the Garmin NO LATER THAN Jan 20-09 to 1.) qualify for the new program and 2.) get the latest map and software updates...correct?

Any caveats regarding the Sam's Nuvi 750's?

Will this new program be available to update the C3xx's (for fee, of course) or will these units require the DVD to update the maps etc to the '09 edition out recently?

Thanks to GPS Passion, again, for keeping us informed!
TL

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2008 :  18:20:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it only applies to the nüvi devices, or possibly the NT compatible devices.

As for your 750 I would check the iFix date (see the first message for a link on how to do that) to make sure it matches the purchase date, if not you'll probably want to contact Garmin ahead of the 60 day limit.

As for parts of this thread being confusing, feel free to suggest improvements so all can benefit.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

TooLate

35 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2008 :  18:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No No No...the site is not confusing. The discussion had me going back and forth...register, wait, register while connected, necessary or unnecessary...that's my reference. Thanks again for the tip(s).
TL
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  00:10:57  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I'm still confused even after reading whole thread :)

I got my 755T Dec 10 and not knowing about first fix rule immediately registered it without acquiring satellites with MyGarmin. Communicator updated the unit to 2.50, no new maps. Next day I went outside (but didn't drive) and acquired satellites. I actually drove with the unit only few days ago. Then I plugged it into PC and did WebUpdater (nothing new except some mysterious chipset update).

So does my 60 day nuMaps period start from Dec 10 when I registered it or from few days ago when I first drove with my nuvi?

NYC
Defunct TomTom Nav 6 NA/EU on Palm Treo 680
Garmin nuvi 270 NA/EU & 755T NA, Navigon iPhone NA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  01:31:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do mygarmin.com and iFix show as the date of first use ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  04:59:37  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, MAKES THE FORUMS EASIER TO READ, THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
MyGarmin shows registration date as Dec 13 and iFix from GarminDevice.xml is Dec 14. Latter is strange since on 14th I just went for a jog with nuvi so it can acquire satellites for the first time. I can assure that I didn't ran at 20mph even for 20 seconds :)

NYC
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  10:46:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The good news is that the dates are consistent, the bad news is that since you've already registered you won't get any new maps even if they become available during that 60 day period. The rule is that you're entitled to new maps IF some are available when you register your GPS device, provided you register it within the 60 day period.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7443 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  16:04:31  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unless I'm missing a key point (wouldn't be the first time), it is highly unlikely that any new maps will be available for your 755T within 60 days. It came with v2009, right? If so, the update provision is of no use to you anyway.

The first fix mechanism is to prevent a user in your situation from waiting to register until new maps do come out (in past years, usually springtime), then getting a free upgrade.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  16:08:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually the new "Lifetime Maps" program should start in early 2009 with quarterly updates that will become available under the "60 day" warranty" program. A good thing too, if not that program would be pretty worthless, except for systems purchased within a couple of months of the old yearly updates.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7443 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  16:46:52  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very true. I guess I interpreted "early in 2009" to mean more than 60 days from klopus' registration or first fix, but that is perhaps pessimistic on my part.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  17:09:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it'anyone's guess when "Lifetime Maps" will be announced and launched at last, but the earlier the better ! I remembered we had a topic about it here http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118141

Go to Top of Page

klopus

USA
146 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  20:29:14  Show Profile  Visit klopus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

The good news is that the dates are consistent, the bad news is that since you've already registered you won't get any new maps even if they become available during that 60 day period. The rule is that you're entitled to new maps IF some are available when you register your GPS device, provided you register it within the 60 day period.

Grand merci, Passion, for the answer in particular and for these forums in general :)

If Garmin rules are like this then nuMaps is more of a marketing gimmick - intentionally limited, confusing and misleading. I would assume the logical thing would be to be entitled for a new map if it's issued during 60 day period from the first iFix or registration, whichever expires first.

NYC
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7443 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2008 :  20:35:38  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not, the new "rules" are more clear and fair (IMHO) than past practices, which involved a lot of vague, shifting guidelines about who got free maps and when.

Bear in mind that the original, underlying principle is that nobody should be penalized if they buy a new GPS that has sat on the retail shelf long enough for its map set to be out of date.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 27 déc. 2008 20:36:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05