Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin's nuMaps Guarantee - iFix Date
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

NanaimoRick

Canada
7718 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2008 :  01:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess if the new policy which comes into affect on October 15th is 'the unit is registered with Garmin and a new map is available within 60 days of the unit’s first use' a connected Nuvi will be needed at some point in the process. How would they establish a 'first used' date unless they somehow could read the Nuvi's memory space?

Maybe it will be a 2 step process - register the Nuvi and then when you go to see if an update is available it will ask you to connect it. Or as you suggested earlier maybe they will use Webupdater for the second step and of course that needs a connected Nuvi.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2008 :  02:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@NanaimoRick:

The reason I asked about the difference between the registration process for a 350 vs a 650 is because I got the impression that volvogirl had registered her unit recently, not back in April. Since I did mine last month and it required that I be connected, I was confused as to why she didn't need to be.

volvo girl in mid-April, and you in late-March/early April, appear to have registered under the old system, while I registered under the new.

At least that's what I thought until gpspassion said he registered his 860 on August 30 without connecting his Nuvi to his computer. Now I'm back to being confused!

But ya know, it's no big deal since I'm already registered and apparently undeserving of any free map updates. If and when I get another device, I'll just do what the process makes me do, regardless of how it works for others. It's not like I'll have a choice.
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2008 :  08:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way in the diag screen of the GPS to see "first acquisition"?
Maybe I could try to register my soon one year 760, and do a packet sniffing on all packed leaving my PC while register it. (maybe I wait for CNE2009)

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7718 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2008 :  16:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that the first acquisition date has always been there but Garmin never used it. Waiting to register will officially be a thing of the past come Oct 15th and probably is already as per gpspassion's post above concerning his newly registered 860.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2008 :  17:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NanaimoRick, I'd have to agree. It's readily apparent that Garmin has been retreiving this info for at least the past three months, hence the owner complaints that their devices showed first loc dates well before their purchase. I think they've worked out the problems with their system, or certainly getting it well in hand. I don't think owners will be able to sneak thru year old devices as new from now on. Delaying registration won't serve any purpose.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2008 :  00:12:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

My guess is that the first acquisition date has always been there but Garmin never used it. Waiting to register will officially be a thing of the past come Oct 15th and probably is already as per gpspassion's post above concerning his newly registered 860.

Actually it shows a registration date of August 30th at this point and I've been using it since early July so my 860 wouldn't be an example of this.

That "first GPS acquisition" rule seems a bit complicated to me, for reasons already discussed (open box items for instance) and I'm not sure they can retrieve that information worldwide without breaching privacy rules or at least getting you to sign off on it. I'm guessing the date you register on mygarmin.com will be the trigger date, unless they can work something out via existing tools like the webupdater. It's probably not worth the hassle for them to have rules that are too strict coming from years of "generosity". To me this new rule is more of a (clever) marketing tool, and possibly something that was part of the Navteq deal, than reflective of an actual technical constraint.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2008 :  00:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears to me that Garmin has full intention of using first ephemeris download date as proof of first use and eligibilty for free map update. Unless they decide to go the TomTom route and require faxing of the original sales receipt, there would be no other way to verify the owner is in compliance with their policy. There's likely a very high percentage of users who never register their new PND, some intentionally. Many come out of the woodwork when they read news of a map update and go to Garmin to get it. I think one of the problems Garmin is trying to eliminate is just this scenario of giving out map updates they will owe Navteq for to owners that don't qualify. Much higher percentage of those than new buyers who receive a previously used device, IMO. Garmin can work with those affected owners on an individual basis just as they do now. Notice Garmin refers to "first use" specifically.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate

Edited by - gatorguy on 01 sept. 2008 00:39:55
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2008 :  00:51:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes and it would make sense to have that type of language in a policy, enforcing it is another story; interesting theory about the ephemeris data being stored somewhere in the hidden memory of the nüvi/Zumo, I still think that would cause some privacy problems unless you ok it's use,...we shall see, but not yet though based on my 860 registration yesterday and the policy is active since August 17th.

As a side note, you've referred several times to having to fax documents for TomTom systems, that's not the way it works, it's normally automatic based on the first connection of the GPS to their TomTom HOME PC/Mac software suite. The "exception that validates the rule" happened for the 930 devices that weren't properly handled in their system for some reason, but other than that the process is fully automatic, if a map update happens within 30 days of that first connection, or is already available when you buy your GPS, you can download it for free via TomTom HOME.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2008 :  01:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was posting from personal experience with a 930, so you may be correct that it's the exception and not the rule. So do I understand that TT will honor a free map update even if first "Home" log-in is a year later? If so, perhaps the same way of handling it would work fine for Garmin. I don't see any problem making permission to communicate with your device to verify info a prerequisite of using Webupdater and the associated MyGarmin. Other manufacturers currently are retrieving "anonymous" data, such as travel speeds, a every time the device connects to their website. I'm not sure that it's specifically spelled out exactly what data is being sent when agreeing to the website terms of use.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2008 :  01:13:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're referring to TomTom, and you must be as I'm not aware of anyone else retrieving your travel logs anonymously, you do get asked the first time you connect your GPS to TomTom HOME whether you authorize them to download the data and use it anonymously to improve the user experience. As for the way TomTom's map update process works, the 930 is indeed the exception, so it's not "you may be correct", it is "you are correct", let's not confuse readers of this topic more than they need to be ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2008 :  02:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies, no intent to mislead. I honestly wasn't aware that the LMG complaints I had read applied only to the 930. I certainly defer to you. As I understood Navteq Traffic Patterns uses some data gathered in a similar manner, via anonymous upload from user devices.

As for Garmin's LMG, it will be interesting to see how it is enforced. It's been an good discussion. As always the threads here are certainly lively and a great source of information.

Edited by - gatorguy on 01 sept. 2008 04:20:57
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2008 :  21:48:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been able to obtain more information on the nüMaps map update program as well as a preview of changes in the frequency of map updates, here goes :

1. "First use" is defined as the GPS being used for at least 30 seconds at 20 km/h, to ensure that demos in shops don't trigger it accidentally. I pointed out that high sensitivity chipsets can "jump around" in environments with poor GPS reception but they don't think that will be an issue. That data is stored in the memory of the GPS and will be retrieved when the GPS is registered on mygarmin.

2. Starting on October 15th, registration on mygarmin.com will require your GPS to be connected so you won't be able to type in your serial number like I did for my 860 test unit the other day.

3. Garmin realized that with their current yearly map update schedule it wasn't very interesting, so in parallel they are working on a new map update program that will allow users to download updated on a quarterly basis. Full details are now known at this point but it seems that program will cover the life of the device, so it should be at least on par with Navigon's FreshMaps "best in class" map update program today.

Full details should be known on October 14th, the launch date of nüMaps, but you heard it here first ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2008 :  01:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the confirmation gpspassion. Not unusual to "read it here first", as your contacts run far and deep.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2008 :  01:32:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that was bit of a joke, but it certainly helps to have been at this for 6+ years now ;-) Not sure what you mean by "confirmation" though ? Confirmation of what? Up to now we were speculating on how the "first use" would be calculated.

Anyway can't wait to see what exactly Garmin have in store, my guess is that the cost of the map update program won't be too different from the cost of one map update. It can't be much higher than Navigon's 2 year FreshMaps that goes for $79MSRP and $50 street.

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2008 :  01:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly wasn't joking. You have excellent sources. I was referring to speculation (now confirmation) that a quarterly update policy as well as a subscription offering would be announced by the end of the year. Very interesting moves made by Garmin lately.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05