Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2274

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Garmin's nuMaps Guarantee - iFix Date
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  16:57:01  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 20110503 : number of map updates no longer limited to ONE (1) during the 60 day warranty period, see details on page 11.
UPDATED 20081002 : Use the iFix value in your GPS to find out your "first fix" date, details
UPDATED 20080911 BY GPSPASSION : Garmin announced the nüMaps Guarantee program in August, and to quote them : "After a customer purchases a new nüvi or zumo PND, they can check to see if they are eligible for a free map update simply by registering their unit at http://my.garmin.com within 60 days of the first use of their new PND. If new map data is available anytime during that 60-day period, the user can request and download the new data, free of charge"

Note : you can only update your map ONCE during that period.

I've been able to obtain more information on this map update program as well as a preview of changes in the frequency of map updates, here goes :

1. "First use" is defined as the GPS being used for at least 30 seconds at 20 km/h, to ensure that demos in shops don't trigger it accidentally. I pointed out that high sensitivity chipsets can "jump around" in environments with poor GPS reception but they don't think that will be an issue. That data is stored in the memory of the GPS and will be retrieved when the GPS is registered on mygarmin.

2. Starting on October 15th, registration on mygarmin.com will ALSO require your GPS to be connected and updated to the latest software version so you won't be able to just type in your serial number like I did for my 860 test unit the other day.

3. Garmin realized that with their current yearly map update schedule it wasn't very interesting, so in parallel they are working on a new map update program that will allow users to download updated on a quarterly basis. Full details are now known at this point but it seems that program will cover the life of the device, so it should be at least on par with Navigon's FreshMaps "best in class" map update program today.

Full details should be known on October 14th, the launch date of nüMaps, but you heard it here first ;-)

Yet another change, but at least this one makes more sense than some previous versions:

August 27, 2008

Buy With Confidence: Garmin® Offers nüMaps Guarantee™

New nüvi, zumo customers eligible for free map update within 60 days of new device activation

OLATHE, Kan./August 27, 2008/PR Newswire—Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, announced today its nüMaps Guarantee, which will ensure that new owners of select Garmin personal navigation devices (PNDs) receive the most updated map available.

“Garmin strives to make sure that our customers have the most current and up-to-date maps. As roads and points of interest change, we work closely with our map provider, NAVTEQ, to continually update our databases,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “Now, when a customer starts using their new Garmin, they can be assured that their unit will have access to the latest version of road maps.”

“We’re pleased with Garmin’s efforts to make the freshest, most accurate map data available to its customers,” commented Cliff Fox, Senior Vice President, Map Division at NAVTEQ. “Our research indicates that portable navigation device users are more satisfied with their systems when the map data is up-to-date.”

After a customer purchases a new nüvi or zumo PND, they can check to see if they are eligible for a free map update simply by registering their unit at http://my.garmin.com within 60 days of the first use of their new PND. If new map data is available anytime during that 60-day period, the user can request and download the new data, free of charge, by following simple online prompts.

The nüMaps Guarantee program will begin on October 15, 2008. Anyone who first used their new nüvi or zumo PND on August 17th or later will be eligible for a free map update – provided their unit is registered with Garmin and a new map is available within 60 days of the unit’s first use.

For more information on the nüMaps Guarantee, visit www.garmin.com/numaps .

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 28 août 2008 17:51:00

Ads

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  17:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That kind of confirms folks complaining that Garmin uses us as Beta Testers. This 60 days after first use thing sure sounds like the "first satellite acquisition" problems we had when the V2009 update was first announced. Hopefully now that the system is 'official' they have got the bugs worked out.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  17:55:56  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As long as their software can detect the difference between first lock in Olathe, KS (or China??) and whatever the second one consists of, it should work.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  18:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would still not be very accurate as some retailers may take a new unit and perhaps maybe demo it for someone (due to lack of a store demo unit), and there it will get it's first sat acquisition. The unit is then sold at a later time, naturally as being new.

Then you have the actual consumer purchase/return cycle. I know for a fact that Fry's Electronics simply looks through the packaging upon return, "verifies" that the contents are intact, slaps a label on the box that states it had been opened (how it was opened is not specified) and the contents has been checked by "authorized personnel" and sells it again, most of the time at a discount. Whether the person that returned it actually got a sat lock with it is unknown.

Still, it's nice for Garmin to officially have this policy rather than what they were/were not doing in the past.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 28 août 2008 19:08:25
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  18:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, lets hope so.

This system makes so much sense. No more not registering for a year in order to get a free update, not knowing what the announce/release date was, having Garmin try and tweak the policy ( remember the V2008 'nobody gets a free update fiasco) every year. Now it's buy the Nuvi, turn it on, and if a new map is released within 60 days you get it for free.

Now if they would only update the maps more than once a year we'd really have a system for everyone.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 28 août 2008 20:29:42
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  18:33:48  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@SergZack:

You raise excellent points.

It seems like it's time for Garmin to start sealing their packages and units - as it stands now it is sometimes very hard to tell if the unit is new or not.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  18:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed about the sealing of packaging, Dan. Garmin does clamshell (pretty much impossible to open, even if you want to ) low-end nuvis like 200's and 205's for Best Buy/Circuit City retail locations to be sold out on the floor but the high-end units are kept in a "security area" (a locked glass case). Even though they are "secure", they are still not factory sealed. This opens the possibility of a premature "first satellite acquisition", whether by the retailer (inadvertently or otherwise) or by the end-user and then returned and re-sold.

Edited by - SergZak on 28 août 2008 19:10:02
Go to Top of Page

volvogirl

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  19:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does Garmin know your first acquisition? Is my 650 sending out info?

Christine
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  19:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, your GPS is NOT sending out any kind of data to anyone. Your GPS is solely a receiver. Garmin gets the first acquisition date by polling an area of memory on the unit when you register it. This data contains the first acquisition date, regardless of who did it or where it was done. If it was done at Garmin's facilities in Olathe, KS or in Taiwan, I'm pretty sure that data is regarded as a "non-acquire".

Edited by - SergZak on 28 août 2008 19:23:24
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  19:53:03  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to expand on that a little, note that this polling of memory can only happen with your GPS connected to a computer and with that computer connected to Garmin via the Interweb.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

joec

111 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  20:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> It seems like it's time for Garmin to start sealing their packages and units - as it stands now it is sometimes very hard to tell if the unit is new or not.

I don't get the point. Haven't most "returns" been opened? After using it they decide, for whatever reason, to return it.

It's difficult to believe that many returns are unopened and unused. ("How about that, Marge. Everyone on both sides of the family gave us GPSs for Christmas this year.")

garmin nuvi 3790LMT, Garmin nuvi 760, Magellan RoadMate 700
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  20:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem occurs when retailers re-sell the returned/opened units as being "new". There is now something at stake for the consumer like a rejected free map upgrade worth ~$80 because the unit already had it's first satellite acquisition.

Garmin's standard box (clamshell is a different story) packaging is not tamper proof or resistant in any way. The way you see the box in the store is the way it looks, either coming straight to you from Garmin or going straight from Garmin to the distributor, to Best Buy, to Joe Blow and back to Best Buy (as a return) and into your hands if you purchase it. There is no way to tell it has been opened...no tape, not even a small round security sticker like you see on other devices packaged like this. I guess it's assumed by Garmin that once it reaches the reseller, they are responsible for keeping it "new" and "unopened". However, this isn't always the case and shouldn't be assumed as being so.

When I registered my nuvi 760 and was eligible for the free map update, I ran into the issue that it had already had it's first sat acquisition, even though I had purchased it brand new from Circuit City. Who made this first sat acquisition could have been anyone.

Edited by - SergZak on 28 août 2008 20:41:34
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  20:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But they've also been great at sorting it out and taking care of the owners when the problem crops up. It's still a better system than I had to go thru to get latest maps for my TT930. They required faxed sales receipts, a screen shot and two phone calls to get the Latest Map Guarantee. I'm glad to see Garmin formalize their map policy, even if there may be a very occasional "blip" on confirming. Shouldn't affect the majority of owners.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

cleo43

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2008 :  22:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It amazes me that the cheap products, are very much well sealed, we literally have to fight to pry open the boxes - while the expensive ones are wide open, ready for anyone who wants to tamper with. I really hate stores that sell opened merchandises as new.
Go to Top of Page

DerbyDad03

214 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2008 :  00:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danham

Just to expand on that a little, note that this polling of memory can only happen with your GPS connected to a computer and with that computer connected to Garmin via the Interweb.

-dan

When I registered my 350 a few weeks, it forced a upgrade down to it.

Doesn't that mean that you must have the "GPS connected to a computer and with that computer connected to Garmin via the Interweb" in order to register it?

It was kind of like...

"In order to register your unit, you must be at the latest firmware rev. Please connect your unit - Oh look! We just polled your memory."

In that manner, no one can fool them into getting a free upgrade.
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2008 :  00:24:15  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I understand your comment.

To register, even if there was no forced firmware update, you have to connect to a computer and to Garmin via the Internet. At that time, they peek at your device's memory. So the mandatory firmware update, while somewhat irritating, is not really affecting the situation (though one of the recent updates did say it addressed the problem of map update snafus).

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 29 août 2008 00:25:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05