Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Nuvi 7x5 User Reviews - v4.40 (2/13/12)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2008 :  16:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a nag screen that pops up on my TomTom 720 every once in a while - not an ad, but incredibly annoying just the same. I agree that there should be a ad-free, for-pay option with the traffic or the ability to turn it off altogether.

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

stress

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2008 :  21:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion- with the 7x5 series having the new type of interface, would you be able to see if it uses the more compressed TTS voices vs the larger "Jill" file types as well. TIA.

Garmin V, SP2610, SP2730
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2008 :  01:00:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will try, might be hard to find out for sure though without looking at the size of the TTS files, might try to squeeze in my laptop, where's en eee when you need one ;-)

@John R - OT here but since you mention it, what "nag screen" pops up on your 720? Only pop-ups I've seen are for help messages (toll roads, setting the arrival time, etc...) you can turn them off in the settings.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2008 :  11:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This 755T seems like this Nuvi I might like better then the 880. Between the fast processor and user defined navigational tabs on map disply.
Too bad they can't upgrade the 880 to these funtions. I'm going to take a big loss on the 880. Life goes on I guess.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Previous owned Garmin 48,76cs,210. Nuvi 880,1490T.
Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2008 :  18:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gpspassion - I forget exactly, been using a Garmin recently, but I believe it is a reminder to connect to TomTom services or something like that. Big grey screen, covers almost the whole display. I otherwise DO have messages turned off in the settings. Sorry for the OT, I meant it only in the general sense that pop-ups are annoying.

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2008 :  21:36:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that would probably fall in the "help pop-up" category, maybe you hit the traffic icon or TomTom PLUS which require a GPRS connection.

Anyway back on topic and as I hoped I was able to spend some time with the 765 at the Navteq Navivision meeting today in Paris.

A few comments in no particular order :

1.Form factor is identical to the 7x0 series, except the finish is black and the back is more rubbery so it gives a better grip.

2. It's built on a Linux platform too, like the 5xxx and 8x0 series

3. I tried the hidden menu (speedometer in the dashboard mode) but didn't find any useful information. They told me it uses a SiRFstarIII chipset like the current 7x0 models, at least most of them since some were moved to MTK with dimmer screens. They did say they had the ability to change the GPS chipsets.

4. I ran a demo to check the screen refresh mode and I reckon it's 4Hz like on the 2x5 seris, not 10Hz as had been reported elsewhere. I have a little movie I'll try to put on YouTube later this week.

5. There are some map refresh issues, possibly because it's still an early model, but when it zooms in you for a turn you sometimes have bits of map missing.

6. The 3D buildings look ok, nice to have them. The Roadsigns and extended lanes are certainly more useful and contrary to Navigon's RealityView or TomTom's ALG you can actually preview the sign when you're in the route list mode, nice when you're preparing your trip.

7. As had been reported previously, the right data field can be customized to your liking.

8. There is "globe mode" where you can see the Earth from say the moon, nice to show it off to friends I guess ;-)

That's all for now, I'll sort my pictures and post them by the end of the week.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2008 :  22:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm, how about the ability to turn off the 3D buildings which seem to clutter the screen??
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2008 :  22:19:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah, good point, that got lost in the shuffle, I'll ask my contact over there, if not it will have to wait a couple of weeks till I see it again. I take it you found the other comments of interest ?

Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2008 :  23:11:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, thank you for the other comments.

I'll just wait for the models to come out so I can see some real-world reviews on them. The only feature which is of any interest to me is the Lane Assist. But from early reports, the lane assist is limited to major freeways.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2008 :  01:24:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it's only really useful in situations where you have many different options, so it's generally on highways, but based on my experience with Navigon and TomTom models that already offer that feature it comes in handy.

Go to Top of Page

rancho1

354 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2008 :  07:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IsLNdbOi

With the addition of the A2DP profile, if your vehicle has a bluetooth equipped audio system, you might be able to pipe all audio through bluetooth instead of the headphone jack or FM transmitter.

Your car stereo doesn't even have to have native a2dp support. There are several companies starting to make A2DP dongles that can plug into your car's line-in port or even a tape deck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBR_9mDTZPc&

and

My car has the aux jack and a power port under the armrest, so I could keep it there and it would recharge automatically.

I think the 7x5 will be my next GPS.
Go to Top of Page

rancho1

354 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2008 :  18:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the traffic receiver in the 765T will be fully integrated into the unit? If it is attached to the power adapter, the whole wireless aspect of A2DP bluetooth stereo will be of limited value.

If you have to plug it in to access traffic data, you might as well just plug in the audio cable at the same time and get full CD-quality fidelity instead of the limited fidelity available via A2DP.

I listen to podcasts that change daily, so I could take the unit inside to load new episodes every day and would never need to charge it in the car except for long road trips.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2008 :  19:04:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Based on what I saw the other day, the traffic receiver setup will ne identical as on the 760, same connector at the base of the device, so you can just drop it in the car holder.

@GadgetGuy2008 - got a reply from Garmin France, in the current state of the software, YES, the 3D buildings can be turned off, simply because it's a separate map layer, so you just uncheck in the map selection and you're done.

Go to Top of Page

ronss

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2008 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called Garmin yesterday on this very topic. Because I already have the MSN Direct receiver for my 760, I'd like to use it with the new model 755t and avoid having to pay the extra $100 for the 765t (I'm not interested in bluetooth).

Garmin told me that my MSN direct receiver is compatible with the new traffic units, and that I therefore don't have to purchase the 765t (which comes with the MSN direct receiver).
Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2008 :  23:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion - thank you for that information.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05