Erreur dans la requête SQL

Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1930

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Nuvi 7x5 User Reviews - v4.40 (2/13/12)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

gmm6797

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2008 :  01:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a set of issues and feature suggestions... short of opening an issue with Garmin Support, is there a forum or something that Garmin uses to help customer out on issues like this?

My 755t has logged about 1200 miles, and its good, but far from the best thing I have ever seen... I miss too many of my Street Pilot options :(
Go to Top of Page

pvs

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2008 :  17:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading through the last several pages of this thread, and thought I'd share my own views. My wife bought me a GPS for our anniversary in August. So yes, I'm a newbie at this stuff. She got me a Tomtom ONE, which is, for the money, not a bad little unit. But it had a few issues, so I thought I'd upgrade. For almost twice the amount she had paid, I bought a nuvi 255. This device was a disaster, inaccurate, nowhere near the amount of information on screen, no configurability ... well, yeah, I can change the voice, or the car icon whoopie!

That one went back, and I pre-ordered a 755t before they were actually available. I was impressed with the ads that show the ALG and Junction Views. I anxiously waited, and then one day, it arrived. The rubberized coating and feel of the unit was remarkable! The screen nice and bright. I couldn't wait to see the ALG and Junction Views, so I opted to drive 30+ miles to work the next day (instead of taking the train) and see the features in action.

So off I went up I-95 toward Jersey City. The first thing I found was that it was really delayed in providing turn instructions. It's a good thing I already knew how to get to work, because I would have definitely missed many of my turns. Uh oh. My second impression was that it was nowhere near as loud as my Tomtom. So when traffic stopped on Rt18, I tried turning it up ... but there was only one notch to go, and it wasn't much louder. So I turned off the radio and closed the windows.

Next, I was surprised that the unit didn't seem to know that the turnpike has different sets of lanes for Cars Only, and for Cars & Trucks. It kept insisting that I "keep right" which would've put me in the mix with Cars & Trucks. I have found this happens every time I get on or off the turnpike. I guess someday a map update might correct it.

For some reason, between two exits on the NJ Turnpike (and this happened coming home at night, too), it needed to "recalculate". It couldn't have been due to traffic, since there wasn't any, and the TMC didn't indicate any, either. Weird.

The Speed Limits were right on target. This much I can say. I also found that the unit is extremely fast at recalculating a route. That is a good trade-off for those times it doesn't give enough notice about your exits, I guess.

And what of those two new features that convinced me to spend $499.95 on a GPS unit? ALG came up ONCE in all the times I've used the device in Central and Northern NJ. Junction View? Can anyone tell me if this device actually HAS it? I have never seen it. So I have a device that is not quite as good as the $150.00 Tomtom at navigating, but it lets me play MP3's and let's me view pictures, has a currency converter (that doesn't update automatically like the one on my cellphone), and a calculator (I guess in case the one on my pda breaks). I can't change colors, or very much of anything else. And I can hardly hear it if I have the AC on.

I've gotten an RMA for this unit, and I've begun to play with a Navigon 7200t. So far ... REALLY liking the Navigon. It has some issues, too, but ALG and Junction View and 3D View all work in my area. It also comes with lifetime traffic, and to top it all off, it gives GREAT directions, in time for me to navigate. One Hundred US Dollars less than the MSRP Price I paid for the 755t, but I get a $50.00 rebate.

Oh well, I gave up the MP3 player. I'll need to use my radio and in-dash CD player, I guess. And I suppose I'll need to view pictures on my 24" LCD PC Monitor when I get home. Geez, and I wanted to look at them while I was driving.

Curious, has anyone else had these feelings about this device? Or maybe mine has some problems? Has ANYONE from NJ seen ALG or Junction View? I can't believe Garmin would omit such a highly-populated area that has such complex roadways.

Not impressed,
-pvs

Edited by - pvs on 30 oct. 2008 17:52:08
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7635 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2008 :  18:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Next, I was surprised that the unit didn't seem to know that the turnpike has different sets of lanes for Cars and Trucks. It kept insisting that I "keep right" which would've put me in the mix with Cars and trucks. I have found this happens every time I get on or off the turnpike. I guess someday a map update might correct it.

You maybe interested in the comparison I did earlier in the year of the Nuvi 780 and the TomTom 930 at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=110142

Interesting since I had your problem with "car and truck" lanes while using the Nuvi but not on the TomTom. But I got more speed limit information on the Nuvi while driving in NJ on the turnpike and not on the TomTom:

"2. Coming out of Secaucus and most of the way south through New Jersey the TomTom had no speed limit information for I-95. We stopped for gas at the second last service center on the turnpike and as always we disconnected both units and took them with us into the restaurant/restrooms. When we set them back up and got back on the road the speed limit info was there. Don't know if the lack of it had something to do with the lockup explained above or if most of the data is missing for this stretch of road.

3. Again coming out of Secaucus toward Newark Airport, I-95 splits with cars going to the left side and trucks using separate lanes to the right. The TomTom gave us instructions to bear left (the car lanes) while the Nuvi said a number of times to go right (into a sea of trucks). Since there were very large road signs explaining our choices, we went with the TT's instructions."

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

pvs

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2008 :  19:12:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my $150 Tomtom ONE actually gives better navigational support than the $500 nuvi. Go figure. Same exact experience about the Cars/Trucks division. Tomtom does a nice job, and Garmin hasn't a clue. Nuvi has it for speed limits while Tomtom is often wrong.

But using the Navigon this morning, I was quite pleased. Speed limits - accurate as all get-out. Voice instructions - right on the money the whole way, extremely descriptive, and early enough to give you time to navigate). ALG and Junction View - accurate, the NJTurnpike Corridor is well covered, nice green signs at each exit, voice instructions that include Exit Numbers. It has everything rolled up into one package, rather than leaving stuff out of this model, and other things out of another model. And under $400.00!

Battery life appears good too. One of my main hesitations about Tomtom.

Yes, it locked up once when I put it in my pocket to go get a bagel (this was probably my own fault, since I didn't shut off the touchscreen,and "who knows" what was hit in my pocket). Traffic signal didn't come on until I'd arrived at work (but I didn't extend the antenna wire until I bought the bagel, so maybe THAT had something to do with it.) And I had a bit of a lag connecting to satellites as I started out. Not a problem later on.

I'm still testing, but I think right now that the Navigon's a keeper, at last.

-pvs

P.S.: Rick, I just read through your comparison. I see you gave the nuvi good marks on speech volume. I have to admit, I was inJ&R, and the sales guy was showing me a 760, and it was loud. My 755t was very low ... maybe the voice I chose ... I don't remember which one it was right now. Thanks for the write-up though. You covered a lot of territory, both in the article and on your trip. I hope you had fun on that trip, other than just testing the devices.

One thing you didn't realy bring up, was Tomtom's nice amount of detail in the lower-right corner of the screen. I really wish Garmin could give a few of those details at the same time, rather than having you pick one. Again tho ... the Navigon gives you ETA and miles to destination, which were the two I wanted, anyway.

All the best,
-pvs

Edited by - pvs on 30 oct. 2008 20:14:45
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
523 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2008 :  19:31:27  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some screenshots from 7x5 with maps other then City Navigator:

Doesn't look good, does it?

http://www.garniak.pl/viewtopic.php?p=50669#p50669
http://forum.pocketnavigation.de/thread.php?postid=2128921#post2128921

popej
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1710 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2008 :  21:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stress

If you have a 760 and a 765 side by side, and both are set to normal detail, same zoom, will the 765 show less information (i.e. street names and town locations) or more?? TIA.

You should be able to perform this exact experiment yourself at a local Best Buy; mine had both on display. Yes, what you state is true - if you set them both at their highest detail level. I always set mine to maximum detail, so I didn't compare them at the normal setting. I didn't specifically look at street names and town locations, but at the roads themselves.

If you set the 760 and 765 to 0.3 miles, they should look roughly the same.

If you set them both to 0.5 miles, the smallest class of roads will show on the 760 but not on the 765.

Set them to 0.8 miles and the same will remain true.

Set them both to 1.2 miles and they should once again be similar.
Go to Top of Page

PouchX

Poland
272 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2008 :  21:48:44  Show Profile  Visit PouchX's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Few more:

Go to Top of Page

The Winger

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2008 :  00:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had a call that the 775 that I preordered is in, I am going to pick it up in the morning and will post some thoughts this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

booey

51 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2008 :  16:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know how often Garmin is going to update the lane assist/Junction views/3D buildings

If this is a once a year or less a year thing, then its definitely not worth it.

As it is, they seemed to have rushed out this unit before having all of the new feature details in place.

Its very close to being false advertising if you ask me.
Don't get me wrong. i am itching to go out and buy the 755T today, but I want to see lane assist and junctions views when i use it.. not wait another year before i can see this feature where i live or travel to.

By then, this unit will be outdated.

Edited by - booey on 31 oct. 2008 17:05:55
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7635 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2008 :  17:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the lane assist information is part of the map data I would say that it will be updated when the maps are updated. Currently that is annually but it looks like it may well become quarterly, see http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=118141

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

pvs

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2008 :  17:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by booey

I would like to know how often Garmin is going to update the lane assist/Junction views/3D buildings

If this is a once a year or less a year thing, then its definitely not worth it.

As it is, they seemed to have rushed out this unit before having all of the new feature details in place.

Its very close to being false advertising if you ask me.
Don't get me wrong. i am itching to go out and buy the 755T today, but I want to see lane assist and junctions views when i use it.. not wait another year before i can see this feature where i live or travel to.

By then, this unit will be outdated.

My sentiments, EXACTLY, and the main reason why I decided to return mine. The 755T is a beautiful device, hardware-wise, but I don't feel the ads are being honest. If they map data only has a few hundred (USA-wide) junction views and iterations of ALG, they should be stating that so people have an idea of what they are really paying for.

-pvs
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
523 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2008 :  11:28:10  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some idea, what 3D could be if implmented resonably:

( http://www.garniak.pl/viewtopic.php?p=52176#p52176 )

This example is from Russian program Navitel.

popej
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93781 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2008 :  22:20:48  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That doesn't look very nice does it? Not sure how it relates to the 7x5 too ? ;-)

Still waiting for the 765 in Europe...apparently France won't get it until December 15th, but it's already available in Belgium it seems...

That means I don't have much to add at this point, but I don't understand why there would be less ALG/Roadsigns then the Navigon that uses Navteq maps too...having said that it might come down to the map generation, Q1/2008 for the 7200 and Q3(or Q4?)/2007 for the 765. Hopefully that area will see a big improvement when the quarterly updates kick in in 2009, see the link Rick gave above for details.

@pvs - you might want to start a ONE/765/7200 comparison topic in the comparison section, you already have most of it written up ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

BAVC10

United Kingdom
204 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2008 :  23:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having used a 765 in the UK for 2 weeks now I have to say that most of the junctions of the major motorways do have ALG on all the junctions.

The 765 has had a few unexplained shut-downs but overall the smooth map display, much better satellite accuracy a fairly comprehensive (motorway) ALG make this the best Nuvi I have yet used.
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
523 Posts

Posted - 02 nov. 2008 :  01:15:17  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

That doesn't look very nice does it? Not sure how it relates to the 7x5 too ? ;-)

It's about 3D from thread title. 3D buildings are useless, but 3D crossroads can give additional information when navigating. I agree, this example doesn't look very convincing ;-)

popej
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05