Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2167

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Nuvi 7x5 User Reviews - v4.40 (2/13/12)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

Boyd

USA
1719 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  20:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SergZak

I use 2D mode exclusively and being able to zoom out to .5 mile with smaller road detail not vanishing is something I've grown accustomed to.

Indeed. I find the 0.5 mile zoom to be optimal in many ways on the nuvi. At 0.8 miles the line thickness of the small roads gets very thin, and place names tend to obliterate a lot of map detail due to the text size. But at 0.5 mile zoom the little roads are rendered with thicker lines and the map is more legible. This is especially true when using US Topo on a Nuvi.

Nevertheless, at times I find it very useful to see the small roads at 0.8 mile zoom, especially in rural areas where the road density isn't so great. Having to zoom all the way into 0.3 miles to see small roads is really unacceptable to me. I wonder if all of the new models will have this "feature"? If so, then I've probably bought my last Nuvi...

Go to Top of Page

GadgetGuy2008

170 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  20:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1

Maybe its time for me to stock up on 7x0 models. They are dropping in price, so I could buy one or two and just keep them in the box until my current unit dies. I really dont like the direction Garmin is taking.
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1008 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2008 :  22:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a NIB 12" Black and white tube TV -- wanna buy it? :)
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2008 :  13:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This zoom issue seems to be directly related to the fact that Garmin has reportedly removed the "Most" zoom level (and maybe the "Least") from the Map Detail settings. I don't recall if it was reported here by ZX14NINJA (I scanned this thread but didn't see it) or elsewhere though. If I set my 7xx one level back from the "Most" to the "More" Map Detail setting, it performs exactly how Boyd reported the 7x5 that he tested did..."The small roads are only visible at zoom levels of 0.3 miles and less - at the 0.5 mile zoom, all the little roads disappear." This is just another step backwards as far as I'm personally concerned. Why alter this perfectly good, working aspect of zooming in 2D in the first place?

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 24 oct. 2008 13:31:33
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1719 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2008 :  21:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are correct. After I posted that I realized that the 7x5 was behaving like an old Nuvi set for "more" instead of "most".

Why would Garmin do this? Clearly because performance was impacted too heavily when trying to render small roads on a larger section of the map. It was already mentioned somewhere (sorry, hard to keep up with these long threads) that Garmin was withholding this series in Europe because the hardware wasn't strong enough to render all the Paris landmarks.
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2008 :  23:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I came across a possible explanation for gpspassion's observation of improved but not 10fps screen redraw, and ZX14Ninja's note of extremely smooth motion. From a US review:

"One of the first things you notice when navigating with the nüvi 785T is the exceptionally fast map frame rate. Garmin says the nüvi 785T achieves 10fps. My testing confirmed frame rates up to 10fps, making the nüvi 785's maximum frame rate roughly 20 times that of the older nüvi 600 series GPS units. The refresh rate of the map page is 10hz. When viewing the map in driving mode, map scrolling can be so smooth it almost reminds one of the sweeping hand of an automatic watch movement.

However, when driving in heavily populated areas like New York and Boston, where the maps are considerably more complex to draw, and the nüvi must also contend with transparent 3-D buildings to render, the frame rate dropped to less than half. Nevertheless, even at its worst, the nüvi 785T is still many times faster at map redraws than any previous Garmin model."

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

Freds

112 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2008 :  23:31:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my 755T I just turned off (unchecked) the box for 3D buildings so it does not slow down
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1719 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2008 :  00:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't have any way to test this in the store, but if we are correct in assuming that the maximum map detail on the 7x5 is equivalent to "more" on the older nuvi's, I wonder if the "normal" (default) setting is equivalent to "less" on the old models?

Edited by - Boyd on 25 oct. 2008 00:17:44
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2008 :  00:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanting to see a 7x5 unit in person and hearing that Best Buy has the units (the 765T) in stock, I went to a local BB only to find a dummy 7x5 "no guts inside" unit on the display playing a repeating demo. I'll have to look in a different store...

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 25 oct. 2008 00:27:33
Go to Top of Page

stress

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2008 :  19:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to add this as a possibility to help with this situation re: zoom detail. I used my 255w for this because of the new interface, although an off topic device I hope this helps.

On the map detail page there appears only More, Normal, Less, Least. I tried testing it out and got the same results you came up with. But there is an 'arrow up' button on the lower right that is highlighted when pressed it moves the page to display 'Most'. That then makes the device retain the desired zoom levels the same as its predecessors. Cross referencing this with a buddy of mine's 660, the map detail is listed and displayed on the entire screen. Just wondering if it was an oversight, having limited exposure to it at the store. I haven't seen a 7X5 at work yet, but just check to see if there is an up arrow.

Garmin V, SP2610, SP2730
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2008 :  19:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good point. The new option page layout for map detail caught me the first time I used a 255. Someone may want to check again and make sure there is no "Most" setting by looking for an up arrow on that settings page.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

reddogg634

USA
230 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2008 :  20:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the 765T I have, there are only 3 settings: More, Normal, Least or something like that. There are no arrow keys to advance the menu. Those are your only 3 choices.

Shody
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1008 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2008 :  23:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct -- the 7X5 series has only 4 options FWIW.

quote:
Originally posted by gatorguy

I came across a possible explanation for gpspassion's observation of improved but not 10fps screen redraw, and ZX14Ninja's note of extremely smooth motion. From a US review:

"One of the first things you notice when navigating with the nüvi 785T is the exceptionally fast map frame rate. Garmin says the nüvi 785T achieves 10fps. My testing confirmed frame rates up to 10fps, making the nüvi 785's maximum frame rate roughly 20 times that of the older nüvi 600 series GPS units. The refresh rate of the map page is 10hz. When viewing the map in driving mode, map scrolling can be so smooth it almost reminds one of the sweeping hand of an automatic watch movement.

However, when driving in heavily populated areas like New York and Boston, where the maps are considerably more complex to draw, and the nüvi must also contend with transparent 3-D buildings to render, the frame rate dropped to less than half. Nevertheless, even at its worst, the nüvi 785T is still many times faster at map redraws than any previous Garmin model."

I wonder what tools the reviewers used to measure or determine exact frame rate, to say that the "frame rate dropped to under half"...

Edited by - ZX14NINJA on 25 oct. 2008 23:10:46
Go to Top of Page

BAVC10

United Kingdom
214 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2008 :  09:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just bought a Nuvi 765 and whilst very impressed with it has anybody noticed that Garmin have quietly dropped the Currency Converter function - seems as Garmin have strugled to get this working properly in previous nuvis they dropped it instead!
Go to Top of Page

poppap

89 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2008 :  01:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@BAVC10
Currency is integrated into a category in Unit Converter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05