Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2266

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] iPhone - List of GPS apps (non-routing)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

way

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2008 :  19:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks gpspassion, happy to participate. I really don't know if this application is a hyped up Google Maps or something different; I like Google Maps on the iPhone - good for general navigation, especially when you're walking - but was hoping for more features like TTS etc. I think that it will take some time for the iPhone to have more usable GPS functions and am interested in what this application can do i.e. does it go beyond Google Maps. If a Canadian version were available, I would purchase it just to see what it can do.

Hopefully some of the West Coasters can let us know what they think.
Go to Top of Page

way

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2008 :  14:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious about polling vs NMEA stream; is this an iPhone 3G GPS chip design (selection) issue or an operating system "feature"?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2008 :  14:57:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No the chip is the Globallocate Hammerhead v2 and it's perfectly capable of outputting a NMEA stream, it comes down to the software architecture or at least the way Apple have opened it so far via the SDK. It sure looks like Google Maps is using a constant GPS Data stream.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2008 :  18:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it again an issue of power consumption and having to run processes all the time in order to log this data stream?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2008 :  18:41:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Possibly, only Apple would know for sure though...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

way

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2008 :  18:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wco81

Is it again an issue of power consumption and having to run processes all the time in order to log this data stream?

I suspect that this has to do with the fact that the iPhone 3G does not yet support background processes, thus forcing all applications to run in the foreground. What would make sense to me in the future is some form of OS background process - accessible through the iPhone SDK - that would allow applications to read NMEA sentences and respond in real time. Background processing would also allow an application to respond to upcoming map intersections etc. that facilitate TBT.
Go to Top of Page

uocooper

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 29 mars 2009 :  23:13:07  Show Profile  Visit uocooper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using MotionX-GPS on my hikes lately and I'm very happy with it. It logs data every three seconds and the tracks and elevation profiles it creates have been excellent so far. It's hard to believe it's only $2.99.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=299949744&mt=8

http://gps.motionx.com/overview/
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 29 mars 2009 :  23:16:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's an excellent app, does the job and it has a very elaborate yet functional UI. One thing I got stuck with though the other day is finding an easy way to review the pictures I had taken during my outing.

Go to Top of Page

palova

Switzerland
1 Posts

Posted - 22 avr. 2009 :  21:00:33  Show Profile  Visit palova's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have a look at the GPSies.com iPhone application at http://iphone.gpsies.com. It is a simple but free logger for the iPhone with nice UI (my view) and good coverage for the basic GPS logging use cases.

Edited by - palova on 22 avr. 2009 21:03:06
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2009 :  20:44:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums. Good to see GPSies in the news again, I'll dowbload it, not sure it will stay free though as there is a question in their FAQ that goes "Why is GPSies not free?"

Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2009 :  01:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can any of these work without a data connection?

I didn't even try to use Motion-X GPSLite when I was in Italy a couple of weeks ago because I knew I didn't have international data roaming.

I got tracks for geotagging my photos and also tracks for Google Earth from the logger.

But these apps. would have been useful for logging the distances covered and the compass.

I know there's an issue with location services in the iPhone SDK. But these free apps. also stream advertising so perhaps that's another reason they want a data connection?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2009 :  01:20:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point, you can now turn off data roaming when you're abroad so there's no risk in trying. If memory serves, the "flight" mode turns off the GPS module too, I'll try that tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

way

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 04 mai 2009 :  01:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re-post in appropriate topic.

Interesting preview of what we might see in June timeframe here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwfnMZmrs4

The interface looks a little laggy in places, but I think it looks quite promising. UI has interesting preview box for upcoming highway exits.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2009 :  22:32:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks nice yes, a little bird told me to get ready for some real GPS action, so I'm gearing up, installed the powered Carcomm holder on a brodit mount in my car.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2009 :  19:40:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not exactly a "GPS app" in the sense that it helps you navigate, but quite an amazing story on how to track down a stolen iphone !

-> http://happywaffle.livejournal.com/5890.html

MobileMe is pretty expensive at $100/year though, there must be small apps that can do that too.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05