Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2215

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 New v3.00 software update for Nuvi 880 with HotFix
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mrbjr

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12 août 2008 :  21:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ver. 3.00 now available @ Garmin website..Lots of improvements..

Ads

NanaimoRick

Canada
7707 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2008 :  00:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's usually a good idea to include the changes in a post about a new firmware release so here it is:

Change History

Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.00:

* Added Language Guide support
* Added HotFix support
* Improved 'Find near' searches
* Improved performance on spell searches
* Improved route calculation time
* Improved suspend/resume
* Improved time zone support for Venezuela and Australia
* Improved route recalculation when switching from pedestrian to automobile mode with a route active
* Improved 'Stop' and 'Detour' icon appearance time on the main page when a route was active
* Improved safety camera alerts to display red or gray banner depending on speed
* Improved display of elevation info to use proper unit of measure based on locale settings
* Improved TourGuide to better handle large pictures
* Improved custom POI review page
* Improved handling of some GPI files
* Improved calculator to work better with percentages
* Improved alarm clock to better handle time zone changes
* Improved trip computer Moving and Total times when greater than 24 hours
* Improved arrival phrases
* Improved adding bookmarks in Audible player when using speech recognition
* Improved spell city search keyboard to include the 'Done' button even if search field is blank
* Corrected issue where TTS prompt would attempt to speak postal codes rather than spelling it out
* Improved Back button on Panoramio photo detail page to jump only one page back
* Improved Music Player
* Added speech recognition shortcut 'find postal code' for supported maps
* Added speech recognition support for supplemental map data
* Added additional voice support
* Improved Panoramio photo detail page to include the name/title of the picture being viewed
* Improved dial keypad to display symbols during a call
* Improved phone book and call history spell search when paired with a phone
* Improved Location Messages
* Improved non-English translations
* Other minor corrections and improvements

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

mrbjr

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2008 :  00:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K. My Bad.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2008 :  00:59:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As well as the rev number in the title ;-) Done !

Ah I can see HotFix is there, it clearly wasn't in the previous versions and I'm still a bit skeptical as the MTK chipset used by the 860 hasn't had AGPS support so far, let' see...

Other improvements I'm looking forward to, improved route calculation times, and recalculation hopefully and handling of GPI files as v2.80 crashed on imported speedcam data.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

nuvipilot

34 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2008 :  05:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice update - but it had introduced another bug:
When you take Nuvi off the cradle after pressing turn off on the screen, the screen comes back and then 2 seconds later shuts down

Not sure what particular modification caused this

Overall, the unit has increased the performance dramatically - searches are faster, calculation time is same now as on previous models

HotFix seems to work, as I get instant lock-on on the start up

Go to Top of Page

lmco_eng

17 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2008 :  16:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrbjr

Ver. 3.00 now available @ Garmin website..Lots of improvements..

Alas, the 3.0 update for the 880 didn't address my problem. When using the "Daniel" voice, the "FM" portion of a "Farm to Market" route number is still pronounced as, "Federated States of Micronesia". For example, when being directed to exit to FM-1171, I hear the "Daniel" voice pronounce "FM-1171" as, "...Federated States of Micronesia One-Thousand-One-Hundred-Seventy-One...".

It was funny at first, but now it is such an annoyance that I can't use the "Daniel" voice at all. I like that particular voice because it seems best suited for me to hear with my limited hearing.

I'll remind Garmin about the problem, again...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2008 :  23:21:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Annoying indeed !

Drove around with the new version today, can't say I found it much faster, but I didn't drive in challenging environments. I'm finding that it's not recognizing my voice instructions as well as before though, when it did a stellar job, anyone else notice that ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

njchris

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2008 :  17:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd think it would reset any mic-gain you put on in the test menus (if you did that) after the update.
Go to Top of Page

LITR

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2008 :  22:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well with 3.00, at least the name of the parks are shown on the map. Before that, with code 2.80, the names are not shown on the map. The name of Hospitals, etc. are not shown on the map either.

Text (name streets)size is still small.

Can we disable the key (touch tone)tone on the 880? On previous model, we can.
Go to Top of Page

njchris

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2008 :  23:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a brief test on the recalculation. It does seem faster. However, the map stops updating while it recalculates.

Go to Top of Page

riply

Netherlands
20 Posts

Posted - 16 août 2008 :  20:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got the 860 in stock nice unit, also the speach rec. works nice but why is the sound so low? even handsfree calling its like listing to a old tranmitter radio. On the 760 its even harder:S

The tmc module is also al ittle bit old, why not the new one like on the 255WT?
I hope we see on the ifa some firework, because now with this sound its realy hard to sell the unit in comparing with the tomtom 730 and 930

Is there a review from the Pioneer F500 already?

Edited by - riply on 16 août 2008 22:37:44
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2008 :  00:43:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's wrong with the TMC module, it may be "old" but it works fine and is easy to install ;-)

Long trip for me yesterday and calculations do seem faster. Unfortunately it still becomes very slow/virtual freezing when alerting of imported speedcams, requiring a battery removal.

Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2008 :  23:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hopeing this revision would stop the lag I have.
This 880 takes 2 to 3 seconds to show me were I should be on the map. This is slow calculating. Because of this I often miss turns with other streets close by. If I stop the truck it will catch up in 2 seconds or so. The map udates every 1 second it seems but I'm always behind. Even when going slow. My SP2610 never lagged back like this.
By the way I am getting 10 ft. accuracy while it does this.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Previous owned Garmin 48,76cs,210. Nuvi 880,1490T.

Edited by - Captcaper on 18 août 2008 00:07:51
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2008 :  15:37:46  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you compared this problem using 2D instead of 3D and at different zoom levels?

I'm not saying you should have to resort to this, just interested in gathering data about the lag problem.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

bwhite

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2008 :  16:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oftimes it zooms out so far in 2D that you can't tell it is lagging, you also can't see enough detail. Trouble is when you hit the + to zoom in it only lasts for a few seconds before whatever ill-logic in the unit pulls the view back to show less detail again. I hear that there used to be the ability to turn auto-zoom on and off.
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2008 :  17:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you used have the ablity to disable auto-zoom on the nuvi 3xx (I don't know about the 6xx). That ability was removed maybe 6 months to a year (maybe Dan or Rick recalls this ?) into the nuvi's life-cycle. I remember Garmin having all kinds of problems getting auto-zoom working how they wanted. Once it was working to their satisfaction (or otherwise), they permanently enabled it with no means to disable it. It's been like that ever since on the entire nuvi line. I miss the option to disable the darn thing...most of the time, it's fine but there are times when I wish I could shut it off.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 18 août 2008 17:12:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05