Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2204

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Around the world with the new 3d basemap
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2008 :  05:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd start a new thread on this, just for fun. The newest Nuvi's use a basemap which is displayed with DEM shading when you zoom out to the 8mi level and beyond (only works in 2d mode). If you go to the map preference screen and disable the City Navigator map it makes the basemap a bit more readable and also speeds up redraw time.

These screenshots are from a Nuvi 5000, resized from 800x480 to 600x360. I believe you will see something similar on the 800 series and the 255 - possibly other new models in the 200 series?

I don't know how useful this actually is, but it's fun to play with

Night mode gives the map kind of a subdued nocturnal quality:

Ads

TTexas

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2008 :  18:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice screenshots, thanks Boyd. I do wish the 7xx could display the DEM shading.

TTx
nüvi® 760 v4.8, MSN Direct
Go to Top of Page

Lightninrod

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2008 :  18:55:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful pics!

Are those 'airports'(airplane icon) in the first night view?

Dan

Deo Vindice

"Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less"
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2008 :  20:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I believe they are airports. If you position the cursor on them a name will be displayed. But it also looks a little like a NORAD display of an air strike
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2008 :  21:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Playing with this a little more, with the US Topo 2008 maps enabled. When you zoom out to the 8 mi scale, all the elevation contour lines and other map features seem to vanish and are replaced with the 3d basemap. Roads, towns, bodies of water and park boundaries are overlaid on the basemap however. Compare the following screen shots and notice how the version with the US Topo maps shows a lot more little lakes than the basemap alone:

Basemap + US Topo 2008

Basemap by itself

But here's something else curious. It looks like the topography is a bit different in the US Topo version. Maybe it's just rendered differently? I see more distinct relief in the version with the basemap by itself. Maybe that's caused by overlaying the Topo map? Or do you suppose that the relief shading is coming from the US Topo 2008 maps themselves? They are supposed to contain their own DEM data, and you will see shading on them in Mapsource on the PC.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2008 :  21:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's something else I am wondering about. Look at the screenshot of Greece above in my first post. What are all the black lines in the ocean? Are they shipping routes? Air routes? Ferry boats?

Edited by - Boyd on 19 juin 2008 21:06:48
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7703 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2008 :  22:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd guess that they could well be ferry routes. There are lots between the Greek islands. I know there are a fair number of ferries between Finland and Estonia, you may want to check that area of the world and see if they show up there. Even using the City Navigator V2009 maps you can see ferry routes between Vancouver BC Canada and Vancouver Island and the Alaska Ferry from Bellingham Washington up through the Straits of Georgia. These are shown as black lines in the water.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1804 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2008 :  02:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to agree with Rick that they are likely ferry routes. Here in SoCal, I know of and have used two here many times; the ferry from Balboa Island to the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach and the ferry from the CA mainland (Newport Beach) to Catalina Island. These ferry routes are represented on both the GPS and MapSource by these same black lines.

A specific question for Boyd...how large is that DEM basemap (gmapbmap.img) on the 5000? Do you have another nuvi that you can try that basemap with to see what the older nuvi does with it...like will it render the relief or not.

Those are some very nice screen shots...thanks for sharing

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 20 juin 2008 02:23:54
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2008 :  05:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SergZak

A specific question for Boyd...how large is that DEM basemap (gmapbmap.img) on the 5000? Do you have another nuvi that you can try that basemap with to see what the older nuvi does with it...like will it render the relief or not

gmapbmap.img is 101.6MB. Sorry, the 5000 is my only nuvi. I wouldn't think older models would know what to do with that basemap, unless a firmware update provided some new capability...
Go to Top of Page

LandNav

USA
362 Posts

Posted - 20 juin 2008 :  07:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Boyd

Are they shipping routes? Air routes? Ferry boats?

As answered above, the lines out of Athens are shipping routes and most likely ferries. I can see the same lines on my 760 after install the "old" worldwide map (gmapbmap.img).

For you newbies here, do a search of this map file. It adds several layers of roads worldwide and doesn't effect the operation of the US system. Well worth having IF you don't buy the European/Other Area map upgrades.

Current models : Garmin Nuvi 1490T- Garmin 192C (Marine) - Garmin Forerunner 101
Previous models: Garmin Quest - Garmin Quest II - Garmin 350 - Garmin360 - Garmin 650 - Garmin 760
Go to Top of Page

unoshyo

1 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2008 :  11:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it this DEM basemap also support with 255w taiwan version?
Currently i have a nuvi 255w tw version that come with chinese 3d basemap.
If runing this 3d basemap, the device is runing a bit slower that using the flate basemap.
I m keep searching around for 3d basemap in english version, may i know where can i get it? thanks.

Unos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05