Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2297

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 2x5wt - User Reviews - v7.10
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  18:27:11  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOPIC - GARMIN NUVI 205, 205W, 255, 255W
STMicro Cartesio GPS - HotFix - MSN Option - Shaded Basemaps - New Interface
Software versions : Main unit/7.10 - GPS Firmware/v4.10b (@20091130)

Product pages : nüvi 205 - nüvi 205W - nüvi 255 - nüvi 255W

Update November 23rd, 2010 : new v7.10 version available, see here for details

Updated January 21st, 2009 : New v4.80 software version available adds MSN 3 and ecoRoute.

Updated October 10th, 2008 : New v4.40 software version available, see details
Updated June 3rd, 2008 : The 255T came in as planned and first impressions are good, in fact there is event something I wasn't expecting, much smoother map display, instead of the good old 1hz update rate of the nüvis, it seems to be up to maybe 4Hz, it makes quite a difference and since this could only shared with a video, here goes :

Link to video on YouTube : >> LINK <<

No need to tell you where the 255 is I'm sure, but here's a giveaway, it's got a brighter screen too!
Posted March 2008 - What's new :
- new shaded elevation mapping display
- MSN Direct compatible
- New STMicroelectonics Cartesio GPS Platform
- HotFix : for faster GPS acquisition (similar to SiRFInstantFixII already available on the nüvi 7xx range) but provided by RX Networks
- Navigation by Photos (Garmin Connect Photos)
- UPDATED : new interface seen at the Garmin Conference in Paris on 20080327 :

OLD INTERFACE

NEW INTERFACE

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20080330

New Traffic UI
NAVIGATING- TRAFFIC MENU

OVERVIEW MAP - TRAFFIC ON ROUTE

[b]LIST - DETAILS 1/2

March 4, 2008

Garmin® Introduces Enhanced nüvi® 2x5 Series, Bringing More Features, Options to Affordable Navigation

OLATHE, Kan./March 4, 2008/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), today announced the next evolution of the nüvi 200 series, the entry-level favorites in Garmin’s popular nüvi line. The low-priced nüvi 2x5 models, a family of new products introduced at CeBIT, improve upon the features of their 200-series predecessors while providing the opportunity to add top-of-the-line features such as improved mapping and routing features, faster satellite acquisition, navigation by photos, FM traffic updates or dynamic content from MSN Direct.

“The nüvi 2x5 products allow us to meet and exceed the basic needs of the budget-minded consumer while giving them further opportunity to expand,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “By making traffic and MSN Direct content accessible with our most basic nüvi models, the choice is truly in the buyer’s hands. Pick a price, and there’s your nüvi.”

As portable and powerful as ever, the nüvi 2x5 models are available in vibrant 4.3” or 3.5” screens with an all new shaded elevation mapping display. Using Garmin’s unique Web site — Garmin Connect Photos — users can choose from millions of geo-located photos provided by Google’s Panoramio photo sharing community and download them to the nüvi for a richer navigation experience using pictures as a guide. The nüvi 2x5 series features a fast 333 Mhz Microprocessor which greatly enhances the map drawing and routing capability. In addition, satellite reception is even faster than before thanks to Garmin’s new HotFixTM feature which automatically calculates and stores critical satellite information and can use that information to quickly calculate a position without waiting for data collection from the satellites.

The nüvi 255 and 255W will be available in versions that include comprehensive coverage of North America, Europe, Australia or New Zealand. The nüvi 255 and 255W models for North America, Australia or New Zealand announce street names in their voice prompts, advising you to “Turn right on Walnut Street” rather than just saying “Turn right in 500 feet.” The nüvi 205 and 205W will be available in versions that offer mapping choices such as the contiguous United States, Canada or regional sections of Europe.

In addition, each nüvi 2x5 comes standard with the popular “Where am I?” feature. At any time, with a single tap of the screen, drivers can display their exact latitude and longitude coordinates, the nearest address and intersection, and the closest hospitals, police stations and gas stations.

When used with an optional receiver, each nüvi 2x5 can display important updated information from Traffic Message Channel or MSN Direct. The enhanced dynamic content from the second generation of the MSN Direct network includes updated information about traffic conditions, fuel prices, weather reports, movie listings, headline news items, stock listings, local events and custom locations sent directly from Windows Live Local. After the introductory trial period with MSN Direct, owners can re-subscribe for $49.95 a year, or a one-time charge of $129.95. For more information on MSN Direct services and coverage areas, visit http://garmin.msndirect.com.

For information about pricing and availability, go to www.garmin.com and www.garmin.blogs.com

[b]NOTE ABOUT TTS
: some models have TTS :
With TTS:
nüvi 255, North America, 010-00717-20
nüvi 255, Australia, 010-00717-22
nüvi 255, New Zealand, 010-00717-23
nuvi 255T, Europe, 010-00717-13

Without TTS:
nüvi 255, Europe, 010-00717-21
nuvi 255T, Europe, 010-00717-12

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 02 mars 2009 20:38:25

Ads

gpspassion

94029 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  18:57:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting news, added some links and comments.

"Pick a price, and there’s your nüvi" - it seems to me that choosing a nüvi is going to become even more difficult ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  19:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sheesh...will the nuvi line ever end? I see some discontinued products very soon now (maybe the nuvi 3xx series).

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 04 mars 2008 19:55:27
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  20:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange that this can not be done with a firmware upgrad for the other units??
Instead adding 4 more modells..

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"

Edited by - jotne on 04 mars 2008 21:09:41
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  21:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Including the new models mentioned here, I count 26 different nuvi models. We need only four more to make it an even 30.

Edit:
Seeing Jotne's updated count, looks like we are now up to 31 nuvi models.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 04 mars 2008 21:12:52
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  21:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just updated the page:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=82414

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"

Edited by - jotne on 04 mars 2008 21:11:33
Go to Top of Page

madamd

3 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  13:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i like how they put next turn icon... BUT i really dislike the fact that they put the speed stat up in bottom left while the unit is enroute... i mean, we all have speedometer, that space can be used to put direction instead... then it would be perfect, we would have, ETA, Direction, Next Turn, Distance to Next Turn all on the same screen!!!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94029 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  13:34:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, although our car speedometer are generally a bit optimistic, and I must admit I often check the speed on my GPS. An easy fix would be to make that field configurable by the user, here's hoping...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

jlingo

48 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  14:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Garmin 205 has hotfix. Does this mean Garmin 200 also have problem with TTFF like the 700s? Garmin won't release any firmware with hotfix for Garmin 200?

Nuvifone A10, FW: 2.10
Nuvi 3790T, FW: 2.60
Nuvi 750, FW:3.00, SW:4.20 - Nuvi 755, FW:2.80 SW:3.00

Go to Top of Page

lordhamster

50 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  15:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the next turn Icon, that actually the #1 feature that keeps me preferring the Tomtom Interface over the Nuvi interface. Are they going to bring that Next turn icon to the other Nuvi units via firmware, or are they going to come up with 10 more models, one model# for each possible software featureset.

Edited by - lordhamster on 05 mars 2008 15:55:29
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  18:12:41  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
or are they going to come up with 10 more models, one model# for each possible software featureset

A cynic might say 20 new models, one each for the features and one of each in widescreen [grin].

Seriously, nobody here has a crystal ball, so it's hard to predict.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 05 mars 2008 19:23:05
Go to Top of Page

cleo43

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  18:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordhamster

I love the next turn Icon, that actually the #1 feature that keeps me preferring the Tomtom Interface over the Nuvi interface. Are they going to bring that Next turn icon to the other Nuvi units via firmware, or are they going to come up with 10 more models, one model# for each possible software featureset.

New TomTom line x30 is even better.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94029 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  18:47:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hum...in what sense ? Feel free to elaborate to avoid starting, "A is better than B" flame wars, and preferably in the topic dedicated to the GPS you mention, i.e. -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=107979 ;-)

Back to the 2x5, I noticed Garmin mentioned the clock speed, a first for a nüvi if memory serves, and 333Mhz doesn't sound all that fast. The presence of "HotFix" is a giveaway to the use of a SiRF platform, I'd say SiRFatlasII (ex Centrality Atlas II) based on the clock speed.

Go to Top of Page

madamd

3 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  12:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GARMIN: There is PLENTY OF ROOM ON THE SCREEN TO ADD THE NORTH POINTER ARROW like on the StreetPilot/nuvi 3xx series. Are YOU GUYS LISTENING?!! It's REALLY annoying to reach to the dash and click to look at the direction of travel and another click to return to map, every time!

Stop removing basic features from your mainstream units and making it a premium feature in a $$$ unit
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94029 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  20:18:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good points ;-)

Back to the internals of the 2x5, based on this press release, Garmin are in fact using an STMicroelectonics Cartesio GPS platform/chipset and I just found out that Rx Networks also have a "auto-AGPS" solution, hence the "HotFix".

Go to Top of Page

beatle

8 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2008 :  05:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's too bad they haven't updated the Nuvi 370. The 370 is a great piece, but dated, especially the way Garmin releases "updates." They are gunning for the low end with the 2xx series, but not much on the higher end for smaller units. I have a Miata and every square inch is precious! The non-widescreen units are easier to carry as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05