Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 TomTom AIO Forums - www.GOTomTom.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom GO v5 range : 730, 930 - Testing
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  00:05:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TESTING - TOMTOM GO v5 530*, 730, 930
IQ Routes (IQR) - Advanced Lane Guidance (ALG) - EPT (GO930) - HD Traffic (Holland)

ALG in action

Updated 20080405 : GO 930T now available in Europe, first unboxing pictures >> here << on page 2. ALG in action below

Posted March 2008 : TomTom (website) have just announced the fifth generation of GO GPS systems, the GO 530 (Europe only), GO 730, GO 930. The finish is different, but their form factor is identical to the current x20 series, with 118x83x24 mm measurements for a weight of 220 grams. This is the first time a new generation keeps the same hardware, but it must be said that it is a good compromise between screen size and bulk, although the upcoming Navion 8110 system will host a 4.8" screen in a slim format too.

WHAT'S NEW
Compared to the previous x20 generation, the changes are mostly at the software level:
  1. IQ Routes : using actual travel times instead of speed by road class to improve trip relevance and ETA. This data has apparently been gathered over the years by TomTom users logging into TomTom HOME.
  2. Advanced Lane Guidance : both a static 3D preview of the intersections on motorways and detailed lane information bottom left
  3. HD Traffic : richer traffic information originally launched on the ONE XL. Available only in Holland for now, in the UK and Germany later in 2008 and in France in 2009
  4. New map coverage: the 930 keeps it's international coverage (Europe, North America) and gains Russia
COMMENTS
TomTom is heralding IQ-Route and ALG as groundbreaking features and while that is true of IQ-R (although iNav use Navteq's "Traffic patterns" on their AIOs), ALG, looks very much like Navigon's "Reality View" launched in 2007 on the 7100, 5100 and 2100 AIOs.

AVAILIBILITY
Availability is announced for the end of April, but you can usually tack on a good month for actual availability to end users.

Questions, comments?

The HD Traffic Receiver

TECH SPECS
- 4.3” widescreen 16:9 format LCD (WQVGA: 480*272 pixels)
- CPU 400 MHz
- TomTom GO 930: 4 GB internal flash memory, TomTom GO 530/730: 1-2 GB
- SD card socket
- High sensitivity GPS receiver (ed - likely SiRFstarIII)
- Bluetooth™
- Battery lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours operation) (ed - rather optimistic!)
- Dimensions: 118 mm x 83 mm x 24 mm
- Weight: 220 grams
- [ED] EPT (GO 930)

* Europe only

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  00:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad they still don't have the HD Traffic service in the US. Also, they're still using the same horrible mounting system as the previous models. Why can't they create a mounting system as good as Garmin's? Anyway, I hope they've also fixed that problem they have of not powering on w/ the car's ignition.

I'd like to see the IQ routing on the 930T compared to the Nuvi 880's routing engine. I'd also like to know how much internal memory the 930T has.

Edited by - synomenon on 04 mars 2008 00:10:38
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  00:13:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, they can definitely using all the routing help they can in the US, for optimized routes and more accurage ETA.

I don't think the memory is any different on the 930 than on the x20 units ?

If you're looking for an improved mount check out my review of the Carcomm x20 solution, excellent...unless you need audio out !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Captain_Eric

17 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  03:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last month, TomTom announced an affiliation with InRix for traffic data in the US, which appears very good.

I've been using InRix's stand alone traffic software (for Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional) in the Washington DC area. It's impressive, including predictive traffic based on "usual" traffic patterns. I understand that InRix uses, among other sources, the same HD Traffic technology as in Europe, ie anonomously tracking cell phones in moving cars.

When InRix has a "direct feed" to TomTom, traffic will greatly improve in the US, IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  13:41:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I wonder if they've been able to use a bit of that technology in IQR or if it's only based on tracks obtained from anonymous users via TomTom HOME.

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  00:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I saw the Carcomm x20 mount review. I need the audio out though.
Go to Top of Page

TracyP

57 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  14:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope they keep adding and improving. These look cute - Garmin needs someone to knock the chip off the shoulder for awhile. Maybe they'll settle down and slow down and just improve - really mean improve - on models vs throwing them into boxes and shipping.
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  17:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Garmin's constant release of new models is getting out of hand. It annoys me as a Garmin user / customer that they focus on releasing so many units instead of focusing on improving their existing units with software updates. TomTom does a good job of updating their units and keeping the number of models down.
Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  04:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like the traffic receiver is part of the power supply/charger, ala Garmin. Am I interpreting that picture correctly? If so, that will be a huge improvement over their present unwieldy setup with the suction cups and all!

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  04:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IsLNdbOi,
Seems Garmin did a LOT of software upgrades to the 700's, more so than other manufacturers did for their existing models

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  10:55:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please use the Garmin topics to discuss Garmin GPS systems ;-)

@John R - I don't think the mounting system of the x30 is any different than on the x20 series ? Careful the traffic receiver shown above is the HD version, only available in Holland so far, haven't heard of any plans for the US yet.

Go to Top of Page

Infama

Switzerland
195 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  15:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
It is actually quite different. Still looks "unweildy", but it frees up the iPod jack, as it now works with the USB port! This at least is an improvement, as it is a serial insert between the charger and the USB port.

TT 920T user.
Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  16:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HD Traffic? It's the first time that I hear that. But if it doesn't require an external antenna (like the current traffic accesory) and it performs equally well or better, it's a nice improvement. But I suspect it doesn't rely on TMC, so either it won't work an all countries or you have to subscribe.

The lane indication is a good thing, but having a freezed snapshot can be a problem when the road in front of you splits in two more than once in a short distance. I hope this can be disabled. It looks like a blunt copy of current Navigon Mobile Navigator on PNA.

Oh, I'm with IsLNdbOi with regards of the mount kit. It's simply useless on many cars, where the windshield is too far from the seats. I had to purchased the optional mount, that should be standard on TomTom Go and the short one on TomTom One.

Samsung Galaxy SIII | TomTom Carminat

Edited by - igalan on 06 mars 2008 16:43:09
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  17:31:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is based on the GPRS technology, there is a SIM card in that module. I'm pretty sure we have a separate topic about it ;-)

@Infama - ok, I thought John R was referring to the mount and I don't think that has changed.

Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  21:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

@John R - Careful the traffic receiver shown above is the HD version, only available in Holland so far, haven't heard of any plans for the US yet.

I guess I will have to contain my enthusiasm a while longer.

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  22:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on, GPRS traffic? You can already have that with any mobile phone with Bluetooth and TomTom Traffic. TMC for me, please .

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2008 :  00:28:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not "GPRS Traffic", HD traffic via GPRS, GPRS is just the way the data is transmitted, but again use the HD traffic topic if you want to discuss it further.

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2008 :  20:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty much seems the x30's are just rebadged x20's with version of Navigon-look lane assist. I don't suspect anyone with an x20 should get too excited. Certainly doesn't look worth an upgrade.

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 10 mars 2008 :  12:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then it's possible that TomTom Go X20 can be upgraded to this same version. Too bad TomTom has not improved the hardware with accelerometers, this feature should be standard by now.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 mars 2008 :  12:47:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 920 and 930 DO have accelerometers, TomTom call it EPT, can't say I've seen it make much of a difference compared to the 720.

Go to Top of Page

Infama

Switzerland
195 Posts

Posted - 10 mars 2008 :  21:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[QUOTE SNIPPED]

They also have a gyroscope for lateral movement.

The 930 comes with reality view, Lane Assist AND IQ traffic using a real average of route speeds taken from datadownloads from current and old TT users.

TT 920T user.
Go to Top of Page

alehouse

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2008 :  02:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To get the new software i'm sure you will have to buy a new map!! Tomtom ain't daft!

HTC Desire - NUVI - Ipaq 314
Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2008 :  09:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All software updates have been made availabe for free for all TomTom PNA except Rider which has no updates at all. Map updates weren't mandatory for the new software, and that's the only thing you had to pay to get your PNA 100% up to date.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2008 :  22:00:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was true until v6, with v7, the x20 range kept some exclusive features, like the cursor customization, the auto-zoom, nothing major but it's a preview of things to come. IQR and ALG are clearly map-related so a map update will be required for sure, but may not be enough, we shall see.

Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  10:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Map corrections are available only on map version 675 and above. I expect that for features like ALG you're also going to need new maps that include the data.

BTW, ALG is a nice feature, I liked it on the N100. The simple lane indicators where perfect, I don't know if the new lane guidace with a static screen is any better at giving a clear information while driving.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  10:13:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Based on my (and others') experience with the Navigon units, it's not, arrows with lanes are the "useful" part, RV looks nice though ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2008 :  12:06:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news, the GO 930T has come in for testing, this has to be the fastest "time to market" for a GPS, since it was only announced a month ago at the CeBIT show. Granted the hardware is the same as on last year's GO 920T, but the software has changed with the switch to v8, the addition of ALG and IQ Routes, here is a first "unboxing" picture :

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2008 :  13:45:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's in the box :

Same as for the 920T ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2008 :  23:38:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is ALG (Advanced Lane Guidance) in action, note that compared to Navigon's Reality View there are "blinking" arrows :

Even when you don't get the "3D Pop-up", the direction arrows on the left provide more details than in the past :

Had a chance to try IQR on some problem routes in the US and it seems to be working, more to follow, if you have problem routes of your own feel free to post them.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2008 :  20:39:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IQR (Intelligent Routing) in action
Ever since TomTom Navigator 2 was released five years ago in the US, TomTom's routes and ETA calculations have been regularly criticized, the consensus being that the road attributes in the TeleAtlas maps in the US did not provide enough information. TomTom's answer is IQ Routes that complements the standard road attributes with actual travel times collected over the years, see TomTom's site for the full details. Sounds good on paper, but does it work ?

To verify this I used a problem route from Des Moines, IA to Madison, WI where the default route is "not right" by default. Read on in this TomTom's IQ Routes - Reviewed Article.

Go to Top of Page

dkoenig

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2008 :  22:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am interested in how it does a Route my family traveled in February. From Dallas, TX to Angel Fire, NM.

I am assuming because of some roads being classified as 30-35MP that were actually 60-65MPH, my TT 920t wanted to route us through Oklahoma City, OK (basically stay to the Interstate Highways).

If you have an opportunity, please run that route (we traveled on a Saturday up and a Wednesday back down).

Thank you in advance,

Don
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  00:29:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, can you repost in the IQR topic here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109732 so it's easier to keep track? Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Infama

Switzerland
195 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  17:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPSpassion,

"Where did you buy the 930?"

TT 920T user.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  17:04:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darty e-store in France, like I said in the news item on the portal, it made a surprise appearance just before the week-end ! Not sure if they ship to Switzerland though ;-)

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  19:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to get my hands on a GO 930. I really like TomTom's user customizable UI and the TomTom PLUS! services via bluetooth to my phone.

I hope it shows up soon in the US. I don't like the switch to the glossy black plastic though. Looks like it'll be a fingerprint and dust magnet.

Oh, is the screen on the 930 physically the same size as on the wide-screen Nuvis?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  19:05:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, same size 4.3", can't say I'm a huge fan of the new "piano" finish either, it looks nice in the Carcomm TMC holder though ;-)

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  19:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh three more questions:

When you start your car, does the 930 automatically power on?

When you turn your car off, does the 930 automatically power off?

Once it's final, can you please do a review / update your review on the Carcomm mount? They have a version coming out that pass the audio through as well: http://tinyurl.com/5z8cot

Edited by - synomenon on 08 avr. 2008 19:25:17
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  19:43:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1 & 2 : no, not a huge deal to me
3 : interesting, I will drop them a line, can you repost the link in my existing review to keep track ?

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  20:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer, I leave my GPS units in my car and wish they could get this simple functionality in their units like Garmin does.

I've posted the link to the new Carcomm mount to your review thread on the original Carcomm mount.

Edited by - synomenon on 08 avr. 2008 20:02:00
Go to Top of Page

Infama

Switzerland
195 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  21:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Darty e-store in France, like I said in the news item on the portal, it made a surprise appearance just before the week-end ! Not sure if they ship to Switzerland though ;-)

We have Darty in CH, so I will pop down to the store...

TT 920T user.
Go to Top of Page

uocooper

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2008 :  22:11:41  Show Profile  Visit uocooper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have any idea if the new unit uses SiRF InstantFix II or not?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2008 :  00:32:15  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, they've kept SIFv1, which is easier to use I think, no need to run the unit for several days before you get see an impact. Ideally there could be a SIFv1/SIFv2 hybrid solution but that doesn't seem to be available, at least for now.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 avr. 2008 :  01:02:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Comparing TomTom's ALG to Navigon's RV, while it works well in both cases, you can see TomTom uses a simplified rendering while Navigon goes for the accurate rendering of the road sign

Go to Top of Page

Continental Drifter

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 13 avr. 2008 :  00:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion;

I've been wondering about the accuracy of the ALG. I notice on the Navigon there are two exit lanes shown and three that continue for a total of five while on the 930 there is only one exit lane for a total of four. Which is correct?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 avr. 2008 :  02:44:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Navteq based Navigon rendering is generally more accurate, both in terms of the text on the signpost and in the number of lanes, in this case there are indede two, however it can be argued that the ALG information is enough to let you know what you need to do and in fact maybe easier/faster to use as it is simplified...

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2008 :  08:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you put a shortcut on the map screen that goes to the menu that lets you change the color of the map? Or does the 930 automatically change to a darker color at night and brighter color at day like the Garmin units?

I'd like to pick up a 930, but not if I have to give up all the "convenient" features of my Garmin:

1. Power on and off automatically with the car
2. Great mounting system
3. Automatic map color change for day / night
4. Movie times / locations

Looks like if I go to the 930 I'm already giving up 1, 2, and 4. If I have to give up 3 as well then there's no way I'll be picking up the 930.

Edited by - synomenon on 23 avr. 2008 08:42:08
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2008 :  10:47:09  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's see :
1. No power on, but there is in fact an option to have it turn off 10 seconds after it loses power
2. The standard mount is pretty dimnutive, the Carcomm one fixes that problem but that costs extra
3. Yes and there is a light sensor too. I like to change manually from a shortcut in the main menu
4. No, I use my phone for that ;-)

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2008 :  12:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My issue with the mount is that you still have to plug everything into the TomTom and the mount doesn't "feel" as secure as Garmin's higher-end Nuvi mounts. Carcomm's new mount (w/ audio passthrough) is nice, but it still won't mate with the Garmin ball I have bolted to my dash (got the idea from the alternative mounts thread in the Nuvi forum - $5.00 VIB10 mount w/ detachable ball). Not sure if there's something similar I can do with the Carcomm mount (bolting it to the same spot that Garmin ball is bolted to).

So with that light sensor, the 930 does automatically change to darker map color at night and lighter map color in the day just like Garmin's units?

Finally, can you send directions / routes to the GO 930 from Google Maps and Mapquest?
Go to Top of Page

upacreek

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2008 :  20:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the mount, are there problems with it falling off the windshield, or it bounces too much, or something else? I see what IsLNdbOi says about plugging things in and that it doesn't "feel" secure, but I'm not sure what that means.
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2008 :  21:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say that it doesn't feel secure because it simply slides into the back of the TomTom. If you don't often drive through very bumpy roads, etc. then you don't have anything to worry about. The suction mounts don't work very well for me so I just toss them and buy and aftermarket mount.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2008 :  00:47:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It doesn't just "slide", it's held in place by a spring mechanism, and I haven't heard of any x20/x30 coming off it's mount ? If it does, you'll probably have other things to worry about...

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2008 :  03:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the windshield mount doesn't feel terribly secure. In a truck on a rough road, there is definitely some "movement". Whether it will actually fall, well, not yet. But it's still not reassuring. It's also a bit awkward to attach. Sometimes takes a couple off tries before the slot catches. It would be nice if they'd offer an active mount instead.

The screen doesn't change in the same way the Garmin does, as TT uses a light sensor while Garmin is programmed with sunrise/sunset times.

Also meant to offer my opinion of sif v. sif2. I use both (Garmin 760, TT930), and I do find Garmins' sif2 more convenient as it's autonomous. I don't use a data plan with TT, therefor need to remember to connect to home at least once a week. Both work well tho, essentially the same boot times.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2008 :  12:57:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting about SIF v2, a bit OT here since we have a SIFv2 vs SIFv1 topic, but I really prefer the reliability of SIF v1, you download a file and you know you're good to go for 7 days, with SIF v2, you just don't know when it's active and what "autonomy" you have. And that's me after spending hours testing them in detail, so imagine what the average user will think when he turns on his SIFv2 GPS for the first time and expect a TTFF of 5 seconds (as advertised by Mio or Garmin on the new 860/2x5) and not get it for a couple of days ?

Since you have both a 760 and 930 with IQ Routes, how are you finding IQR to help correct TomTom's (courtesy of TeleAtlas) ofentimes poor routes in the US ? I did see some nice improvements in some cases.

Do you see ALG kicking in often on your routes ?

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2008 :  15:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has definitely helped. There is a local road that is quite congested from 7:30am-8:30 and from 4:00pm to 4:30pm. The 930 tends to avoid that road if there is another route with similar travel times. The nuvi wants to use it. Much of the day, it's fine, but between those hours, avoid like an ex-wife. For a visitor, the TT route may be more pleasant, depending on the time. An early disappointment is that is doesn't distinguish between 10am on a Tuesday morning and 5:00 rush hour on a Friday afternoon. Hopefully we can soon see more specific IQRoutes data in the next map update. As far as estimated travel time, that is an immense improvement. The 760 and 930 are now within just a few minutes of each other the vast majority of the time, and I've always considered the 760 quite accurate, at least for the way I drive.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2008 :  16:09:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear and it does confirm my early observations made in that thread I linked, what area are you in ?
Having spoken to TomTom's CTO earlier this week in Amsterdam, they are indeed working on introducing some more granularity in IQR, by day and time, although it wasn't totally clear whether that could be pushed via MapShare or via a map update though.

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2008 :  16:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Central Florida. I'm sorry I missed the question on ALG. Unfortunately it appears much less often than I expected. Perhaps the early emphasis is on heavily traveled metro areas, as Orlando and Tampa are the only areas I've seen it, and not consistently then. TomTom may have been a bit anxious to push this out with new Garmin and Navigon models released or soon to. Overall, it doesn't appear to be very effective yet. I'm sure it will be much more complete with the next map update. Regarding IQR, TomTom has been pretty consistent in saying it will only be updateable with new map purchases. Do you have some indication of a change of heart? I thought it was embedded in the map.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2008 :  17:01:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah must have missed that statement they made about IQR, I can't see why they couldn't update the data via Mapshare if they wanted to, based on my conversations with them earlier this week they certainly weren't ruling it out.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2008 :  01:25:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news, heard back concerning my question and as I sensed they are currently not compatible, but it seems they may be working on that, so hopefully SIF v1 enabled GPS systems, namely the TomTom GO range and new Asus R300/R700 and some GPS PDAPhones, will take advantage of it.

By the way, Rick, one of the moderators of the nüvi forums, has just hit the road for an 8000 mile trip with a killer setup : Garmin nüvi 780 with MSN and TomTom GO 93OT - check out his report from the road as it unfolds!

Go to Top of Page

bluebellla

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2008 :  04:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need help with my newly purchased Tomtom go 730.
I bought my Tomtom go 730 2 days ago. Do not see advanced lane guidance feature , please help, did call Tomtom for help, but no result yet. Thanks in advance.

Edited by - bluebellla on 14 mai 2008 04:52:22
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2008 :  07:27:58  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums, can you clarify what you mean by "do not see" ? Can't see the option, can't see any it when you're driving ? If it's the latter, it seems some areas don't have many "pop-up" screens, so try running a demo route in the San Francisco area.

Go to Top of Page

bluebellla

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2008 :  11:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[SNIP]

Thank you very much for your response. I did upgrade to 730 from 720 because of the advanced lane guidance... I live in Connecticut and drive to work about 30 miles, mostly on I 91 and 95. ALG feature never appear on the screen. I had Navigon 7100, which I sold last year to buy Tomtom go 720, did show that feature on I91, I95 when I used to go back and forth to work. Do you have any idea (s) why ?
Regards

Edited by - bluebellla on 14 mai 2008 11:27:37
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 mai 2008 :  02:35:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the 7100 would have more "road signs" in its database, make sure your 730 is set up properly by running a simulation in the San Francisco area where I saw some signs myself, for the animated .gif on the first page.

Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 31 mai 2008 :  22:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can now say I have had the 930 fall off the windshield, in fact twice. Now I only mount it moistened, but it's a bit of a pain, and certainly inconvenient compared to Garmin's to take off and then reinstall when you leave the vehicle. I don't understand why they won't use a suction mount similar to Garmin's, probably the best on the market for it's type. The similar mount on the HP310 is also pretty solid.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05