Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2207

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 TomTom AIO Forums - www.GOTomTom.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom GO v5 range : 730, 930 - Testing
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

gpspassion

93939 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  00:05:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TESTING - TOMTOM GO v5 530*, 730, 930
IQ Routes (IQR) - Advanced Lane Guidance (ALG) - EPT (GO930) - HD Traffic (Holland)

ALG in action

Updated 20080405 : GO 930T now available in Europe, first unboxing pictures >> here << on page 2. ALG in action below

Posted March 2008 : TomTom (website) have just announced the fifth generation of GO GPS systems, the GO 530 (Europe only), GO 730, GO 930. The finish is different, but their form factor is identical to the current x20 series, with 118x83x24 mm measurements for a weight of 220 grams. This is the first time a new generation keeps the same hardware, but it must be said that it is a good compromise between screen size and bulk, although the upcoming Navion 8110 system will host a 4.8" screen in a slim format too.

WHAT'S NEW
Compared to the previous x20 generation, the changes are mostly at the software level:
  1. IQ Routes : using actual travel times instead of speed by road class to improve trip relevance and ETA. This data has apparently been gathered over the years by TomTom users logging into TomTom HOME.
  2. Advanced Lane Guidance : both a static 3D preview of the intersections on motorways and detailed lane information bottom left
  3. HD Traffic : richer traffic information originally launched on the ONE XL. Available only in Holland for now, in the UK and Germany later in 2008 and in France in 2009
  4. New map coverage: the 930 keeps it's international coverage (Europe, North America) and gains Russia
COMMENTS
TomTom is heralding IQ-Route and ALG as groundbreaking features and while that is true of IQ-R (although iNav use Navteq's "Traffic patterns" on their AIOs), ALG, looks very much like Navigon's "Reality View" launched in 2007 on the 7100, 5100 and 2100 AIOs.

AVAILIBILITY
Availability is announced for the end of April, but you can usually tack on a good month for actual availability to end users.

Questions, comments?

The HD Traffic Receiver

TECH SPECS
- 4.3” widescreen 16:9 format LCD (WQVGA: 480*272 pixels)
- CPU 400 MHz
- TomTom GO 930: 4 GB internal flash memory, TomTom GO 530/730: 1-2 GB
- SD card socket
- High sensitivity GPS receiver (ed - likely SiRFstarIII)
- Bluetooth™
- Battery lithium-polymer (up to 5 hours operation) (ed - rather optimistic!)
- Dimensions: 118 mm x 83 mm x 24 mm
- Weight: 220 grams
- [ED] EPT (GO 930)

* Europe only

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  00:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad they still don't have the HD Traffic service in the US. Also, they're still using the same horrible mounting system as the previous models. Why can't they create a mounting system as good as Garmin's? Anyway, I hope they've also fixed that problem they have of not powering on w/ the car's ignition.

I'd like to see the IQ routing on the 930T compared to the Nuvi 880's routing engine. I'd also like to know how much internal memory the 930T has.

Edited by - synomenon on 04 mars 2008 00:10:38
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93939 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  00:13:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, they can definitely using all the routing help they can in the US, for optimized routes and more accurage ETA.

I don't think the memory is any different on the 930 than on the x20 units ?

If you're looking for an improved mount check out my review of the Carcomm x20 solution, excellent...unless you need audio out !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Captain_Eric

17 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  03:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last month, TomTom announced an affiliation with InRix for traffic data in the US, which appears very good.

I've been using InRix's stand alone traffic software (for Windows Mobile 6.0 Professional) in the Washington DC area. It's impressive, including predictive traffic based on "usual" traffic patterns. I understand that InRix uses, among other sources, the same HD Traffic technology as in Europe, ie anonomously tracking cell phones in moving cars.

When InRix has a "direct feed" to TomTom, traffic will greatly improve in the US, IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93939 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2008 :  13:41:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I wonder if they've been able to use a bit of that technology in IQR or if it's only based on tracks obtained from anonymous users via TomTom HOME.

Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  00:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I saw the Carcomm x20 mount review. I need the audio out though.
Go to Top of Page

TracyP

57 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  14:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope they keep adding and improving. These look cute - Garmin needs someone to knock the chip off the shoulder for awhile. Maybe they'll settle down and slow down and just improve - really mean improve - on models vs throwing them into boxes and shipping.
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2008 :  17:55:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Garmin's constant release of new models is getting out of hand. It annoys me as a Garmin user / customer that they focus on releasing so many units instead of focusing on improving their existing units with software updates. TomTom does a good job of updating their units and keeping the number of models down.
Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  04:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like the traffic receiver is part of the power supply/charger, ala Garmin. Am I interpreting that picture correctly? If so, that will be a huge improvement over their present unwieldy setup with the suction cups and all!

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

gatorguy

USA
648 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  04:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IsLNdbOi,
Seems Garmin did a LOT of software upgrades to the 700's, more so than other manufacturers did for their existing models

Garmin 1695 / 760 / 255 / Navigon for Android / Navigon 8100T / Garmin Dakota 10 / Geomate
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93939 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  10:55:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please use the Garmin topics to discuss Garmin GPS systems ;-)

@John R - I don't think the mounting system of the x30 is any different than on the x20 series ? Careful the traffic receiver shown above is the HD version, only available in Holland so far, haven't heard of any plans for the US yet.

Go to Top of Page

Infama

Switzerland
195 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  15:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
It is actually quite different. Still looks "unweildy", but it frees up the iPod jack, as it now works with the USB port! This at least is an improvement, as it is a serial insert between the charger and the USB port.

TT 920T user.
Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  16:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HD Traffic? It's the first time that I hear that. But if it doesn't require an external antenna (like the current traffic accesory) and it performs equally well or better, it's a nice improvement. But I suspect it doesn't rely on TMC, so either it won't work an all countries or you have to subscribe.

The lane indication is a good thing, but having a freezed snapshot can be a problem when the road in front of you splits in two more than once in a short distance. I hope this can be disabled. It looks like a blunt copy of current Navigon Mobile Navigator on PNA.

Oh, I'm with IsLNdbOi with regards of the mount kit. It's simply useless on many cars, where the windshield is too far from the seats. I had to purchased the optional mount, that should be standard on TomTom Go and the short one on TomTom One.

Samsung Galaxy SIII | TomTom Carminat

Edited by - igalan on 06 mars 2008 16:43:09
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93939 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  17:31:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is based on the GPRS technology, there is a SIM card in that module. I'm pretty sure we have a separate topic about it ;-)

@Infama - ok, I thought John R was referring to the mount and I don't think that has changed.

Go to Top of Page

John R

85 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  21:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

@John R - Careful the traffic receiver shown above is the HD version, only available in Holland so far, haven't heard of any plans for the US yet.

I guess I will have to contain my enthusiasm a while longer.

Regards,
John Roper
Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2008 :  22:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on, GPRS traffic? You can already have that with any mobile phone with Bluetooth and TomTom Traffic. TMC for me, please .

Samsung Galaxy SIII | TomTom Carminat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05